PDA

View Full Version : Narrow minded.

arcticwolf
06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
What does that mean to you? Is it an opinion that disagrees with your own? Disagrees with commonly held opinion? What general framework do you use to determine if an opinion is narrow minded? What are the criteria? Are conservative ideas narrow minded, are liberal? What do you think?

dralos
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
you are narrowminded

arcticwolf
06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
you are narrowminded

Thank you. That's sweet. :D

Breedingvariety
06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Narrow minded are those, whose opinion you dismiss out of hand, because you are so convinced they are wrong and there's no point to debate them even if just for entertainment without hope to change either of debaters minds.

Edelmann
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
It's an epithet used by irresponsible people to describe the prudent.

GeistFaust
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
To be narrow minded is to be human for me, and ignorance and unconsciousness are too distinct characteristics for narrow mindedness. Its the incapacity to think beyond the way a thing appears to people in their own mind as determined by their intuition and sensibility. The flaw is not necessarily in the manner the way people experience or intuit things, but the flaws lies in the method of knowledge and perspective through which humans act, perceive their actions, and perceive the world in its totality around them.

I think for instance that religion is a very narrow minded perspective and understanding of the world, because it believes in too fixed and stagnant an understanding of the world. There are certain dogmatic principles pertaining to the concrete matter of space-time as it accords and correlates itself with our intuition, which validates and sees itself through the sensory world itself, but does not depend merely upon it.

The problem with religion is that is dogmatic and doctrinal codes are based on nothing which functions or operates on an empirical level within space-time, which is a necessary foundation point through which time itself fluctuates and dilates itself multiple forms of being. Instead religious dogma and doctrine merely emits an understanding which is purely one of sensibility, and can not be applied or put into practice in any manner with the manner which the empirical world functions and operate, which thus produces a contradictory idea.

A contradictory idea which leads to a flawed view of the world in its fundamental totality, but which people naturally in their own "rationally" oriented instinct contradict hypocritically. The problem is that humans have the illusion that they can apply and put the impossible into practice, which is what an appropriate instruction in the fundamental nature of how specific things in the world works as both combined and isolated elements would eliminate from the human mind.

It is when we begin to understand the fundamental nature of the world, which determines itself through the empirical, and which determines itself in the empirical that we can truly come to understand how broad and vertical the world we live in. The beauty of it seemingly infinite and impossible to be captured is all confined to a single space, which is fundamentally broken up into incremental units, which are filled in with the representations of substances that is form itself.

I think that understanding there are no true or authentic answers to life, but merely temporary fundamental responses we can make to preserving the height of its intellectual and moral worth it necessary for a broader approach to life itself. Life is a constant process, and not something that is merely fixed or stagnant, but is a fluid development of movements in the different aspects of life itself.

We ought never to abandon so quickly those fundamental guidelines which we apply to expand the organon of our knowledge and upon which we enrich our instinctual perception of the world as it pertains to certain conceptual understandings, which take their form in the objects perceived by our sensory organ.

It is upon this fundamental guideline that we find our true identity, and is that which keeps us firmly rooted in an authentic and truly correct perspective of the world, which will allow us to further expand and progress within the fluid dynamical succession of time.

Siberian Cold Breeze
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
ideas and theories are just tools for thinking, i try to not make them walls surrounding my perception., but rather use them as pathways ..i don't like limitations ,dogmas ,strictly made political agenda ..and people who are way too much obedient to any structure annoys me...these people i call narrowminded ,idefixed ones..

but i can observe myself being narrowminded time to time..so ,yes ,we are humans may be we all have some red lines..

Breedingvariety
06-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Often i prefer narrow minded ones to open minded ones. Pure open minded people are pure opportunists. And that intrinsically means they are good liars. Pure narrow minded people are fanatics. And that means they are either your enemy or friend.

So that's the spectrum: liars to fanatics.

Sturmgewehr
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I hate when I see GeistFaust has replied to a thread because that leaves me no room to write or add anything to the topic, fuck.

Sikeliot
06-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Narrow minded to me means that you refuse to consider that anyone else's opinion could possibly be correct.

To society though, narrow-minded means you do not subscribe to the generally accepted liberal beliefs on specific subjects (i.e. you oppose illegal immigration, you oppose abortion, you wouldn't date interracially etc).

arcticwolf
06-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I hate when I see GeistFaust has replied to a thread because that leaves me no room to write or add anything to the topic, fuck.

Give a shot, don't short change yourself. You are an intelligent guy, you can do it! ;)

Graham
06-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Every opinion is wrong, but your own opinion. Stuck in ones way, even if wrong. It's not a good quality to have. A lack of adaptability.

Sturmgewehr
06-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Give a shot, don't short change yourself. You are an intelligent guy, you can do it! ;)

Yeah I should, even though I agree with almost all the points made by GeistFaust I will try to give an oversimplified definition of what I mean when I say NARROW MINDED:

For me a Narrow minded person is someone who deliberately dismisses all ur arguments without giving them too much thought in the first place, someone who is overly entitled to his opinion with a very flatulent ego and lack of empathy which affects his reason, logic and decision making, narrow mindness has a lot to do with ignorance as well, IMO.

Arne
06-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Every opinion is wrong, but your own opinion. Stuck in ones way, even if wrong. It's not a good quality to have. A lack of adaptability.

No, thatīs what bosnian is doing :D as she told how non-virign Females are whores.

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Yeah I should, even though I agree with almost all the points made by GeistFaust I will try to give an oversimplified definition of what I mean when I say NARROW MINDED:

For me a Narrow minded person is someone who deliberately dismisses all ur arguments without giving them too much thought in the first place, someone who is overly entitled to his opinion with a very flatulent ego and lack of empathy which affects his reason, logic and decision making, narrow mindness has a lot to do with ignorance as well, IMO.

See, you did very well. I can't find anything you said I disagree with! Great job! :thumb001:

Arne
06-26-2012, 12:06 AM
trollolol at the TAG
arcticwolf qualifies for his own thread

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 12:07 AM
No, thatīs what bosnian is doing :D as she told how non-virign Females are whores.

Arne, that's not exactly what she said, give my sis some slack, she is a lovely young lady. ;) her opinions are still not fully formulated yet. You make her sound like a fanatic which she is not. :D

arcticwolf
06-26-2012, 12:09 AM
trollolol at the TAG

Arne be good. You are a smart guy. You don't want me to send you to play in the sandbox, now do you? :p

Contra Mundum
06-26-2012, 12:16 AM
A narrow minded person to me is someone who goes along with what the establishment tells them is right or cool, and they are incapable of thinking for themselves. They just want to fit in and be accepted. They close their minds to anything that counters what they have been brainwashed with in popular culture.

dawur
07-15-2012, 02:10 PM
narrowminded people are, those that can only see things from one point of view.
They will never expand their knowledge and will always be the lower class.

PetiteParisienne
07-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Narrow-minded people have the tendency to be wilfully ignorant. They are aghast and insulted by the possibility that someone with a differing opinion might be able to make valid points.

kabeiros
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
The best definition of narrow minded is this, I think
http://www.digital-camera.gr/wysiwyg/users_files/1939/alogo_stolismen_1259728276.jpg

''a person with blinders in front of his eyes, that make him see through only one angle or someone with a very limited perspective''

Absinthe
07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Bigotry, bias, smart-assery, arrogance combined with limited knowledge on a subject, brain washing, denial, rationalization, stubbornness, generalization, stereotyping, among other things, will make someone narrow minded.

Breedingvariety
07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Other meaning of narrow minded is thinking it is possible to understand a particular detached from the whole, without any sense where the particular fits in the whole. And disregarding contradictions in different "understandings" of particulars. In this sense narrow minded is a synonym of scatterbrain.