PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst injury you've ever received?

Rainraven
06-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Everyone likes sharing their stories about hurting themselves ;)

Mine was when I was 15. I was biking down the hill I lived on at 5.30am on my way to rowing. I was approaching the corner too quickly and threw on my front brakes (:rolleyes:). I went over my handle bars and landed on my face grinding my teeth along the ground. I limped home with my mouth full of blood and gravel, walked in the front door and you should've seen the look on my mums face! They zoomed me off to A&E where I got 4 stitches in my chin and discovered I had a broken jaw. I had to eat through a straw for a month and went to the dentist 11 times that year. Four of my teeth had the tops taken off them and one of them was dead :(

So what's the worst injury you've ever had?

Svarog
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
that sounds bad :(

let's see, when I was 9 friend throw a bethon block on my head and damaged my skull, not to mention countless stitches, I have two knife stab wounds, both on my torso, I have an axe wound on my leg, almost chopped half of my leg, was chopping wood, not very good and last but not least cut wounds on my feet, my leg went through glass

Eldritch
06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
The area between my left frontal lobe and the part of my brain inmediately behind were damaged during a botched brain surgery operation, leaving the right side of my body paralyzed. This was six years ago and I still haven't fully recovered.

Rachel
06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
hmm lets see when i was 3 yrs old i had a seizure agisnt a heater and gave myself one hell of a burn against my right leg for which i still have the scar. it took my mother the better part of using her Aleo plant to heal my leg up.

when i was 8 i had an 8 pound bowling ball dropped straight onto the top of my head.

i have tons of war stories ill add them as we go along

Susi
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Psychological/emotional injury because it takes a long time to feel like a real person after not being treated like one.

Atlas
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Falling off the fourth floor, can thanks god for not being in a weelchair or in the cemetary.

Psychonaut
06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I've been pretty lucky and haven't been seriously injured yet. The worst injury that I have been dealt was during a Kung Fu class about eight years ago. I was doing some full contact sparring with one of the senior students and he, with one leg, kicked me twice. The first kick hit right at the joint where the femur connects to the hip; it tore by leg out of the socket. The second kick landed right in the ribs and broke a few. I was in serious pain for quite some time after that, but, given the kinds of stupidity that I engage in on a regular basis, I still count myself lucky that this is the worst. :D

lei.talk
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
The area between my left frontal lobe and the part of my brain inmediately behind
was damaged during a botched brain surgery operation...what would have been the success-full result
of that procedure?

HawkR
06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Not to much, but I got two scars on my back, both an handlenght and about a finger wide (piano fingers). Don't know when or how I got them, suddenly, I just saw them... Either than that, some burns, falling down trees (Yeah, I never falled from it an straight to the ground, had to say goodbye to the branches on me way down:P) some kind of ear damage as I can't hear a frequenzy I should hear, nothing broken, ever.

Ladejarlen
06-19-2009, 01:59 AM
I got my knee dislocated when I was on vacation, had to take a ambulance boat.

Cato
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Testicular torsion 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion

Útrám
06-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Extensive loneliness.

Loyalist
06-19-2009, 03:28 AM
I've never had anything too serious, with just a few painful injuries here and there. I broke cartilage in my knee a few years ago, and a piece lodged in my knee joint, which prevented me from fully straightening or bending my leg. That required surgery, which I waited nearly a year-and-a-half for. I've also had my nose broken, and, when I was around five or so, fell and broke all of my front teeth. I still have complications with my adult teeth, which were just about to come through at the time, and had to have a root canal a few months ago.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
My worst accident was making love to a Swiss nymph.
Every time I wee, and look for it I have to play hopscrotch.
Other than that was bitten by a sac-spider (1 week in hospital)
Bucked by a sable antelope left arm in plaster for 1 month.
Had to swing my feet into a bicycle spoke-wheel,broke both ankles,but it saved me from being kidnapped.
Bitten in the neck by a 9 month old lion,while I was playing with his 3 month old cousin.
Fallen off my quad-bike,not once but 4 times.

Electronic God-Man
06-19-2009, 07:26 AM
My worst accident was making love to a Swiss nymph.
Everytime I wee, and look for it I have to play hopscrotch

I don't understand 3/4 or more of what you say, but it's pretty damn hilarious nevertheless.
.................................................. .................................................. .

I've never really had any bad injuries come to think of it. When I was about 11 I had a friend of mine drop a 15 pound weight on my big toe. We were smashing matchbox cars and he let go a little early. It hurt like hell, my toe turned a purplish black and my toenail eventually fell off. Then when it was making a recovery my brother tossed a baseball a little short to me and it smashed into it again, sending blood shooting in all directions. I guess that's the worst...actually getting kicked in the groin sucks pretty bad too. That has happened once or twice.

So far all the times when I should get hurt I don't. I crashed my car one snowy night. It rolled over a couple times into someone's backyard (they called the police when they heard not the crash, but the Jimi Hendrix music blaring out of my car that now had no windows). I swallowed some glass and I had a nick on my ear, but everything else was fine. Some nice drunk lady even stopped and drove me back to my girlfriend's house.

Sol Invictus
06-19-2009, 07:33 AM
My mollars were chipped after I was sucker punched by a wetback in Montréal. So I spat the blood and the fragments of my teeth out, and we ended up slugging the fuck out of eachother (he outweighed me by about 50 lbs easily) after I told him to meet me around the corner behind the Church, I foolishly led the way with my back turned to him, not thinking, even after a sucker punch, that he would get me from behind before we met at what I thought would be the chosen ground - which is exactly what he did. He picked me up and threw me into the stone steps with my back turned and in order to save my head from becoming a mess on the side of the Church steps, I extended my paws and in doing so, jammed my right hand index finger.

On the ground, with my head still intact, this fat piece of shit started wailing on me incessantly. My face was swollen up and it was brighter than a Christmas Tree. I couldn't see out of my right eye for a few days, and had a serious concussion. My lip was fat and my mouth was bleeding, and ended up collapsing in front of a homeless shelter, where the ambulance came to pick me up.

I was back in my buddie's basement drinking beer within the hour.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-19-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't understand 3/4 or more of what you say, but it's pretty damn hilarious .
I usually do shorthand:p
I meant to say:" After that experience every time I want to wee etc etc"
Sorry about that

Electronic God-Man
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I usually do shorthand:p
I meant to say:" After that experience every time I want to wee etc etc"
Sorry about that

Thanks, but I am still just as confused as ever. Don't try to explain either. Just keep on doing what you do.

Barreldriver
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, it's tied between when I had my middle finger partially severed, the tendon damage nearly ruined my artistic abilities, and my ankle injuries, the ankle injuries were responsible for my decline in athletic valor and resulted in me falling from the top of the ladder to the basement of a house below sea level(basically I didn't listen to the docs orders, over worked when I should not have, got arthritis, permanently weakened ankles, etc...).

I'd say the ankle injuries had a more mental and emotional effect, as well as pain, the severed finger I didn't even feel.

and, I've got a dent in the side of my head, don't quite remember how I got it, it just appeared 2 years ago, or so.

Inese
06-19-2009, 05:21 PM
My worst injury was a brain concussion by blunt force trauma after people pushed me with the back of my head against a wall!!

i was writing more about in a simliar thread "What is the worst physical pain you have suffered ? ".

anonymaus
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
When I was about 8 years old I pretended I was Tarzan and swung from my friend's tree house into the neighbour's yard.

On a nylon rope. Without gloves.

Only tried that once!

The skin on my palms and the inside of my fingers had literally melted on the way down; it was a boring summer with no outdoors play, and no way to play Nintendo while convalescing.

Thankfully everything healed normally.

Testicular torsion 2004.

Had that in the 8th grade--serious business :....

Barreldriver
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Testicular torsion 2004.

I think I may have something of that sort right now. I've had the symptoms of TT for about a month and a half, but the symptoms come and go, they usually appear when I'm doing something strenuous or when I'm wearing jeans.

so work is fun, jeans + strain = source of my berserker rage.

Loyalist
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I think I may have something of that sort right now. I've had the symptoms of TT for about a month and a half, but the symptoms come and go, they usually appear when I'm doing something strenuous or when I'm wearing jeans.

Don't worry, it isn't. I thought I had something similar, but it was just a strain that took months to recover from. With TT, the pain is immediate, unbearable, and you have only hours to have it addressed in order to save the afflicted appendage, otherwise gangrene sets in.

Cato
06-19-2009, 11:23 PM

I never had any surgery and the torsion just healed on its own. Once in a while I'll have some bothersome aching about my groin, but it comes and goes. The Gods were looking out for me, I guess. :thumb001:

Svanhild
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
When I was 13 I ran into a car on the way to school. It was entirely my fault, I wanted to cross the street apart of the crossroads for the simple reason I was late. The driver had no chance to see me, I ran over the street without looking left or right and parking cars hindered my sight and the sight of the driver. He hit me frontally with roughly 40 km/h according to the police report. I flew some meters trough the air and landed near the centre strip. At the outset I was conscious and wanted to stand up in my shock but I couldn't. All felt strange, I can't describe it, but there was no pain as we understand it. The driver and passerby ran to me and talked some words, but I can't remember them. In their statements for the police, eyewitnesses testified that my eyes were bleary, staring into nowhere, and that they've thought I passed away some seconds later. I can't remember anything of that. The next thing I know was that I woke up in the hospital weeks later. My parents told me they were there every day after work, talking to me while I was in induced coma. I know nothing of my time in coma and I couldn't hear them.

Doctors told me that I was almost dead, there were some days of mortal danger and the prospects were unclear. I received interior injuries and interior bleedings, several bone fractures and a cranial trauma. It took me months to recover.

While in hospital I had enough time to think. I was mediating about life and dead and what it means. I came to the conclusion that my biggest concern is not the possibility that I die sometime in my life but the sorrows and mourning of my family if I'd day before them. That worried me a lot and does it till today.

There was no life passing by in my mind after the accident. If I was really that near to death, I can attest that it happens without pain or fear.

Ariets
01-03-2010, 02:03 PM
broken clavicle,
broken leg in two places,
I had small necrosis on my skin (fucker-finger of right hand, lol), after fight (i smashed a bottle on a dudes head), now i have cool looking scar (that was this year)
I almost lost my finger (thumb, left hand this time) after bivouac in forest (to much booze, my bad, long story, this year), it was not efficient for about 3 months (I could move it in any way, just thumb up 24/7 lol, i was once on a physical therapy for that, but I was to lazy to go there anymore, so I was training my finger myself, now its like 85% efficent, I have huge cool badass looking scar on it),

thats what I remember,

Liffrea
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Short sightedness due to much wan…. Reading, does that count?

Other than that, nothing much, I’ve been knocked off my bike (motor and push) least once a month, fell off a few high walls, had a chair smashed across my back, fell out a few trees, had a trolley run over my foot…..surprisingly the worst I had was a grazed knee and a dislocated toe….

Radojica
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I was stubbed in my leg when i was 7 years old with this knife http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6296/1096lrjy0.jpg... The knife went through my leg like hot knife through the butter.. I guess i win :cool:

Amapola
01-03-2010, 03:50 PM
When a kid, I was jumping on my grandmother's bed and a friend pushed me to the side. I cracked the piece of glass on the bedside table with my head (temple); I bled like hell.

Grumpy Cat
01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I got a piece of glass in my eye three years ago. Maybe not the worst injury, but it certainly was the most painful thing I ever went through.

Svipdag
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
People are always surprised when I tell them that I was run over by my own car. On January 15, 1971, I was visiting a sick friend, in fact, I had just made him a dinner featuring reindeer meatballs. I had parked on the street alongside the snow bank thrown up on the curb by the snow plow. I couldn't, therefore, enter the car from the curb because I couldn't open the door.

I stepped out into the street in front of my car, intending to enter it from the street side. While I was waiting for the traffic to thin out so that I could reach the door on the driver's side, a Ford Econoline van rear-ended my parked car, shortening it by about 50 cm. and driving it over me.

I suffered a fractured skull, inner ear damage to the right ear, deep scalp lacerations, five broken ribs, and a wrenched back. The ear damage was permanent: 10 db. hearing loss and impairment of equilibrium. On the day after the accident, I discovered that I had completely lost my senses of taste and smell.

I was hospitalised for ten days and convalesced at home for a month before returning to the college where I taught. For two months more I taught only half-time. In despair over the loss of my senses of taste and smell, I gave away all of my cookbooks.

Six months later, I regained most of my taste and smell [except that, to this day, I cannot smell roses :cry2] I found that some of my taste ( actually smell) sensations had changed. I no longer liked the taste of bourbon whiskey but found Scotch, which I had disliked, unexpectedly pleasant. Vanilla, though pleasant, tasted entirely different from its pre-accident flavour, as did honey.

Of course, I could now resume cooking. But, I had no cookbooks ! Finally, I begged back all of the cookbooks which I had given away :rolleyes:. I am still somewhat deaf in my right ear and have a poor sense of balance.

nisse
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow...head injuries are very common :ohwell:
...and people have really lived though some terrible times :(

The worst injury to ever happen to me would have to be when I dropped a can of coke on my toe and the nail turned blue, or possible when my ankle started to hurt for no reason from the elliptical, but it stopped for no reason a few weaks later, so I would say the toe thing was more traumatic.

SuuT
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I fractured a vertebre in my neck. Which oddly didn't hurt nearly as bad as breaking my arm - but was quite a bit scarier.

Northern_Paladin
01-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I was in a car accident. My friend was driving. He ran a red light. A car side swiped us at 30 mph. He broke his collar bone. I had the air knocked out of me from the forward momentum, but besides that nothing. They wanted to do an CAT scan on me but I declined. It would have cost $2000 and they would have had to inject Radio active material in my blood stream.

Stefan
01-05-2010, 05:04 AM
When I was hit by a car, I fractured three places in my foot, and had bruises all over. I was lucky though, it could have been worse. It wasn't painful, and I'd much rather that than something like getting class stuck in my eye. :eek:

Brynhild
01-05-2010, 05:07 AM
When I was 12, I was riding a horse bare-back, which got spooked and bolted. I held on long enough for her to stop, but then I kept going with my momentum, fell on my wrist, bent it over and fractured it. My arm was in a cast for six weeks.

The worst injury by far was having my tailbone go out of alignment when I was giving birth to my second and youngest child - I couldn't sit on my arse for quite a few weeks both times without difficulty. It's also one of those injuries that you can't do a lot for except give it time. After my youngest was born though, I found it healed a lot quicker when I took up my swimming routine again.

Cato
01-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Iguinal hernia, which I've got right now.

Austo
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I dislocated my knee two times.

BUt its actually not that extreme injury. All two times i relocated it myself and, walked away as if nothing happened, a week later it was completely normal again. no need to go to doctor for this i think.

Žołnir
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Bike and ski accident. :)

Permafrost
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Car accident. Driving drunk a Yugo in the middle of the night. Hit a tree.

Caismeachd
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Crushed disc in back and sacral nerve damage. Same injury Bruce Lee had and eventually lead to his death. Not a fun thing to have, probably some of the worst pain imaginable. But I am feeling pretty good these days.

Roy
01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Nothing bar some head injury when they had to use some stitches on me because i was severely blooding. But as far as I remeber this wasn't really painful ;)

Damião de Góis
01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Football injury: one guy was about to shoot but i got to the ball first and took it out in the last minute. He was already making the movement to shoot, so he hit the inner tip of my foot, making it twist the other way around.

Result: Lots of pain at the time and some weeks out.

Corvus
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
A sprained ankle sustained playing icehockey

Roy
01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Football injury: one guy was about to shoot but i got to the ball first and took it out in the last minute. He was already making the movement to shoot, so he hit the inner tip of my foot, making it twist the other way around.

Result: Lots of pain at the time and some weeks out.

It sounds awful

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Fainted after an exam following a night with no sleep ..bumped my head and get stitches back of my head.
Burglar broke my nose had a painful first-aid and fixing in emergency room with local anestesia .
..still looks not very straight..i had a boxer nose.

Caismeachd
02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Fainted after an exam following a night with no sleep ..bumped my head and get stitches back of my head.
Burglar broke my nose had a painful first-aid and fixing in emergency room with local anestesia .
..still looks not very straight..i had a boxer nose.

That's really terrible.

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Yes ,it was bad really.

VeronicaStranger
02-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Well that's something!

Did you at least try smacking him back?

Dacul
02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Well was riding my bike towards job,last time I checked the speed it was 36 km/h and entered into a car who got into my way.
Thanks God that I only got minor injuries - my bone nose was a little crushed,but did not break,had one rib fissured and some fissures on my finger bones.
Still have on nose bone the sign where I entered in that car with it.

Caismeachd
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Yes ,it was bad really.

If it makes you feel any better. I got into a fight with a bouncer once and him and 4 other friends of his jumped me later and also broke my nose, gave me two black eyes and tried to break my knee while they were at it.

Siberian Cold Breeze
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Well that's something!

Did you at least try smacking him back?

Yep, Actually ,that's why I got that punch ..
Thankfully ,burglar was not a bloodthirsty criminal..He escaped ..
He could easily kill me.I am lucky.

@Robert- Ouch..that's even worse than mine :(
But at least we have some scars with stories ..
I am not hiding i love bragging about my scars .

TheMagnificent
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Broken toenail and some bruised ankles. :D

Germanicus
02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
On a contract working in a factory installing a new compressed air installation, I injured myself lifting a 6metre length of 6" galvanised pipe.
As soon as I felt something I dropped the pipe and told my colleagues to get me to a hospital.
After seeing a specialist Doctor with this kind of injury surgery was advised.
At the time I was a martial artist, I was a purple belt in ECKA, my goal was to attain my black belt and run my own club, all this failed to materialise as the injury was severe.
From being a high kicker I could no longer kick above chest height, or with power.
After surgery I was off work for 12 weeks, and then when I did return to work I was put on light duties for over a year.
It took me well over 18 months to walk properly and I still have problems walking up or down stairs or inclines.
Walking distances will make me walk slowly as this will make my injury ache.
My testis tubes were torn away, and a web was sewn in to hold them in place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_canal

Styggnacke
02-03-2013, 01:55 PM
I have broken both the collarbone and the wrist. I recovered in about a month in both cases.

Germanicus
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Another injury that was life changing was to my left elbow, a piece of bone 40mm in diameter x 8mm was broken and was removed by surgery.
After release from hospital I have to have physiotherapy therapy and my arm measured for angle recovery.
From being a pretty handy boxer, I can no longer dry punch or spar with it, lifting objects is pretty much down to shape of which I can handle.
My arm now when extended, has a curve, and I can no longer touch the top of my shouder with my finger tips.

Slycooper
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Broke My Wrist. The most pain ever.

Linebacker
09-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I have not had any serious injuries anywhere on my body.I have a strong bone structure.

So many years in boxing and combat sports,falling off motorbikes,falling of heights as high as 3 meters on the gymnast monkey bars and not a single broken bone.

Dictator
09-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Slashed my finger with a knife while cutting a cheese.