PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think you will live?

Æmeric
06-11-2009, 08:15 PM
So how long do you think you will live? And why?

I don't think it is improbable that I could live to 100. That is not the big deal it once was. I'm healthy, don't smoke (never did), have never done recreational drugs, rarely ever drink. I occassionally catch a bug but always recover very quickly. With the advance of medical technology & my ability to pay for it I think 100 is a realistic goal for myself. Unless I'm assassinated by La Raza.

PS: This is not a popularity poll (notice Aemma is not an option) but an opinion & discusion poll.

Atlas
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh according to those Facebook quizzes and surveys, 52 and I will die either of cancer or stroke/heart attack.

Otherwise drinking too much and smoking weed, not past 75. Would be good enough.

finironcross
06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
69. That's when I'll take my own life.

Gooding
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Sometime in my seventies. That's when most males in my family die.
The women usually go in their eighties.A coincidence?Hmmm..

Svarog
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
i give myself 25 or so.. :/

Beorn
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
My grandfather died in his early 60s, as did my grandfather before him, and Clark's in general seem to pop their clogs early when leading an unhealthy life, so my lifestyle combined with my reoccurring asthma from childhood (which only comes on when I'm unhealthy....so get healthy, Wat!!:rolleyes:), so will most likely die in my 60s sometime.

As long as I have seen my children grow up and seen my grand kids arrive, I will be happy enough to die then.

Incidentally, my family namesakes die, on average, around their early 70s when leading a healthy lifestyle.

Loki
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I haven't got a clue. It's hard to think of myself as an old man. As far as lifestyle is concerned, I don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely drink, am healthy and not ill. I do have my share of bad luck though, so who knows ... :coffee:

Why do intelligent people live longer? (http://www.psy.ed.ac.uk/news_item.2008-11-13.0118592998)

Atlas
06-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess most of you will think like me. I'll make peace with the fact of dying when I'll have children, and of course when I'll be a grandfather. Until then I feel like I forgot something important in my life.

anonymaus
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Average life expectancy in my family is mid-late 90s with high quality of life.

We have no congenital issues, no allergies, universally high-functioning immune systems, no cancer in the known history of the family.

With that said I am not sure how long I'll last. I can't even imagine life beyond 30.

Frigga
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a large amount of very long lived people in my family. My living grandmother is turning 93 this year. Her husband died at the age of 86, and was one of the youngest to die of his family of 11 children, except for the very youngest, who died at the age of 1 of whooping cough. The oldest of his brothers was 6 months away from 100 when he died in 2000. I think that I will around for a while.

Phlegethon
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
According to my docs I should not make any long-term contracts anymore.

Brännvin
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
This Swedish site (http://www.dugamladufria.com/medicin/agetest2.html) says that I live up to 84, not so bad..

Vulpix
06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
I tried Balder's test and the result was 91.

Electronic God-Man
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
My paternal grandfather died when he was 60 and my dad died (less than a year ago) when he was 54, but both of these were alcohol and tobacco related. Both were alcoholics...technically my grandfather died of mouth cancer from chewing tobacco but I doubt the alcoholism helped matters.

My mom's paternal Swiss line has some sort of heart problems. When the immigrant of that line came over from Switzerland he eventually volunteered into the Union army during the Civil War. Last year I found his pension papers and it said that he was discharged due to illness, fever caused by heart problems or something weird like that. His son seemed alright, but then when he had kids almost all of them dropped over dead early in life. 14 years old, 16 years old, 21 years old, my great-grandfather managed to live until 33 and have two kids before he kicked the bucket too. My grandfather served in WWII and was poisoned by a German dentist (posted about that somewhere else on here). That affected his heart too. Later on he had several heart attacks, had open heart surgery once or maybe twice and eventually died at 75 or something. My mom and uncle seem fine so far and they are in their mid-40's, I think they both have high blood pressure though. Hopefully, that has been bred out by now. Our best guess and the guess of doctors we've spoken to is that it must have been some sort of structural heart problem...possibly the mitral valve.

On the other hand, my dad's mother and most people through that part of the family are generally healthy their entire lives. My grandma is 88 and still doing well. There have been quite a few people in her family to live beyond 90. No doubt it is their healthy rural lifestyle and strong religious beliefs that keep them going. My grandmother reads the Bible for a few hours every day, goes to church several times a week, and has a peace of mind that I don't have.

If anything the one thing I need to work on is relaxing. I worry a lot and I bet that won't be good in the long run. I have an anxiety problem. I think I inherited it. My mom has it, her mom had it, and her grandmother had it too from what I am told. Thanks Lithuania.

I expect I will live to see 70, but I don't know how much further beyond that I will be going. The way things look my best bet will be to not get hooked on booze, hope for good luck in not inheriting that fatal heart problem (Doc has looked at mine, no problems it seems), maybe find something I really believe in, and above all CHILL OUT.

Skandi
06-11-2009, 11:30 PM
My great grandmother lived until she was 82 my Grandmother is 84 and still going strong, the men die earlier Great grandfather was 79 and Grandfather was 75 but that was smoking related cancer. I only know my maternal line but going on that I would expect somewhere in my 90's maybe 100 the best bit is that they were all active and healthy until a couple of years before the end.

Birka
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Both of my grandfathers lived until 92. My dad died at 77, but had many health problems, and did not take care of himself. So I put down 80-89 in the poll.

Sally
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Well, my paternal grandmother is going to be 95 this year, and my paternal grandfather lived to be 90. My mother's parents, on the other hand, died considerably younger.

However, between the local Mercedes driving gypsies and the insane kebab delivery drivers, I probably don't stand much of a chance of making it to my next birthday. These folks need to stop driving on the sidewalk! ;)

Goidelic
06-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Well, my oldest 6x great-grandfather relative lived to 117 a supercentenarian, 5 years away from Jeanne Calment who was 122, my great-great-great grandfather lived to 107, 3 years away from being a supercentenarian. My great-grandfather lived to 94. My great-great grandparents 91 and 93. My great-great-great-great grandfather lived to 91, my great-great-great-great grandmother lived to 87. My great-grandmother 87, refusing to replace her heart valve, probably could have lived well into her 90's. My great-aunt lived to 89 used to drink a lot like a fish. My grandfather lived to 87, probably could have lived to his 90's. My other great-great grandparents lived into their 80's. A few of my other great-grandparents, died young in their 60's, 70's and two in their 30's due to severe illnesses. My grandfather died young at 82, due to severe Alzheimer's, but apparently his body was very healthy despite smoking and drinking heavily for over 60 years. One grandmother died in her 70's refusing to treat her cancer probably could have lived to her 80's, and her sister, my great aunt is alive at 87. The point is you don't know what gene or evolutionary flaw you might be carrying whether it's from a great-great grandparent with all the diseases known to man kind or your grandmother who lived to 100, or dying from a poor lifestyle.There is an article I forgot, but supposably in the 22nd century scientists will be able to eliminate bad genes which decrease your longevity rate, so you'll live longer, I'm not sure about that. One thing is certain, there is no such thing as a perfect family with genes and no known diseases, where all known living relatives lived well into their 100's on all family branches going back generations.

I'd like to preserve what we have on earth for the terrestrial time that's left, there will probably come a time, perhaps millions of years from now, maybe even billions, when the sun will expand and kill off all living other living organisms and activity. Everything will eventually be lost that you have, it's just a matter of terrestrial time. Even in the very far future if we could live on other planets, items and things from Earth would eventually be lost on those planets. Whether they are ancient photographs, music etc. However, this is beside the main point and question, regarding how long you'll live.

I'm not sure how long I'll live, I could be dead and gone whenever, but I'm happy if I'll make it to my 80's or luckily 90's, anything beyond that would be a blessing as well. I moderately drink, exercise, and eat healthy and am fit and thin. I'd gladly live forever if no one else died and remained in eternal youth in Utopia with my views as immortals, but that is a fantasy world, and nothing lasts forever and where there is a beginning there is always an end. Sometimes when you're old it's best to pass away to get away from certain people whining about this and that, certain individuals and all the pro-racial, pro-multi culti crap going around, to take an eternal one-way ticket and vacation rest from them in peace.

Longevity is mainly based on genes apparently from latest studies done on supercentenarians and overall people. If one comes from a lineage of parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great grandparents living all into their late 80's, early 90's chances are the offspring will live that long. Of course, there are always exceptions being deadly disease, rare cancerous mutation, health failure, being hit by a car, shot, stabbed, blown up, rare collateral relative (aunt/uncle) defective gene.

Eddie Miller (11 Jun 1918 - 7 Jan 2008) who lived to 89; 5 months away from his 90th birthday, was an example of a guy based on genes due to his lifestyle he led of excessively eating and drinking. Who knows how much longer he could have lived if he hadn't lived the way he did with such lifestyles, maybe younger? maybe the same age? maybe older? I'd say, no one really definitely knows at this point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011003838.html

Strangely enough, lots of vegans and healthy individuals end up dying younger than some of the more extreme examples of people and between those categories of moderate to heavy drinkers and smokers, probably because of their genes, or at least those are the ones portrayed as dying younger in the news, the healthier people.

I'm kind of skeptical about all the products advertised on the Internet and T.V. The most absurd ridiculous one was a colon cleansing advertising product claiming this 11th century guy lived to 190 that was autopsied on in that era, claiming he had this and that die and why he lived so long. Of course, there was no real believable proof regarding his documentation. Other alternative advertising products will claim you'll live much longer, I guess that is put in a semantic context which I can't fathom nor understand. I'm waiting for the days where some product or something is advertised so its claim you ridiculously live to 1000. :p;)

Paleo
06-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Dundee city - 72 for me apparently

thank god didn't live in Glasgow that long! (Glasgow city 69.1)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3746162.stm

too be honest i don't think i will live to 72, if i do, i will be totally disgusted with myself. Because that means i was to careful to have really lived.

Angantyr
06-12-2009, 12:54 AM
96 years...the same as my grandfather.

Cato
06-12-2009, 01:26 AM
I'll probably live to my 70s. If I make it to 80 I'll be happy indeed. :cool:

Barreldriver
06-12-2009, 02:52 AM
By natural means most likely till my 80's, most in my family croak around 80-90, few have pushed beyond 100. This is all suggesting that I am not killed, which seems like the most likely option. Given that, I'd be lucky to see my 40's. I just have a feeling that some shit is going to go down soon.

Cato
06-12-2009, 03:00 AM
One of my grandfathers died at 59, the other is still alive and is in his early 80s. One grandmother died in her late 70s and the other, who was married to my gramps that died at 59, is still alive at 86 (gramps died at 59 in 1985 and grandma has outlived him by 24 years). Lifespan is a weird thing; some people die young, some live old and hoary lives.

Ulf
06-12-2009, 03:01 AM
I have no desire to live to be very old unless I can be some form of cyborg.

Angharad
06-12-2009, 03:30 AM
I took an online test and here are the results:

me: 98
boyfriend: 81

The results surprise me. I would expect that my boyfriend will live to 100 and me not so much.

Even though I have ancestors that made it over 100 (men and women) in the 1800's, and more recently 90+, I don't think I'll make it that long. Unless my life improves dramatically I am thinking no more than 80.

Aemma
06-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Not very long once Wat and Psy are done with me!

Lyfing
06-12-2009, 03:31 AM
I really don't know how long I will live. What I do for a living is pretty dangerous. I've got me a timber cutter nowadays though ( for as long as he can last ) so I just get to work on the yard cutting the logs to grade and running the loader.

Heart disease runs in my father's line. His father died at 44 or so. And, his sister at 35. My aunt has already had quadruple by-pass heart surgery, and I was born with a heart murmur.

The heart might get me..I can feel it working over-time sometimes..I eat mostly healthy and I get plenty of exercise and to look at me I'm in excellent health..it still messes with me though and I know it..

My mother's family lives to be old. My Granny is 87 and my Granddaddy lived to be 77. He was a drunk though and didn't stop drinking until his liver was shot. He smoked until he died. He had every tooth in his head and never brushed his teeth..he picked them with a toothpick..:D

My Momma's sister recently died of bone cancer..that is the only cancer I've heard of..makes me wonder..??

I look like my father and my mother's mother so I may live to be good and old. My Dad after a few days strung out on meth and drinking rum checked his blood pressure and it was perfect..maybe I am as lucky..

Later,
-Lyfing

Jägerstaffel
06-12-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm not going down without a fight.

I plan to live into my 90's, and I've got the genes for it.

Alcoholism, some of you may say? Nah, they'll find a cure for that shit in a few years I'm sure.

Bloodeagle
06-12-2009, 04:52 AM
I plan to live 100+ years. Why not forever.
I am going to start my own bio-tech company. :D
I will invest heavily in T cell research.
Now, I will just have to find a source of these aforementioned T cells.:p

Tabiti
06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
My great grandparents lived around 90-95 years, but my grandparents reached only 70-75 (cancer).
We have hearth diseases in both my maternal and paternal families, but I know how to try preventing them. Anyway, no one can choose how long to live. I just prefer to be healthy, years don't matter.

HawkR
06-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Most likely till my 80-90s, as seem to be the standard in my family, unless I turn into a Vampire and live forever. *singing*: "Who wants to live forever?"

But I couldn't care less! I know I'm gonna die and it ain't shit I can do with it, I only know that I'll kill someone before I die.

Karaten
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I get the strongest feeling I wont survive another few years.

Tabiti
06-12-2009, 08:05 AM
BTW, last night I watched on "Da Vinci Learning" channel a Japanese documentary exactly about how to live longer. Our bodies are destroying themselves with the free radicals mitochondria in cells produce along with energy. They examined few healthy 100 year old people and it turned out they have more antioxidants in their blood. That means we should learn our bodies to produce more antioxidants, which can be reached with regular physical exercises and reduced daily calorie intake. However, it is better we exactly know our metabolic rate to lower calories, because such diet could effect bones density.

Inese
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Hm all of my family members get old, around 70 to 80 and a little more. :cool: I hope i can stay so long too!! But i want to stay healthy also that is more important.
I want to see what happens with the world this century. :wink

Treffie
06-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Ages at which members of my family died.

Mother - 64
Her mother - 64
Her father - 64

My father - 79
His mother - 79
His father - 79

Moi - 71 years, 6 months? :confused:

Eldritch
06-12-2009, 05:04 PM
My hometown, Helsinki, was founded in 1550. So if I live until her 500th anniversary in 2050 it'll be quite enough. I I was born in 1975, so that'll be the year I turn 75.

Psychonaut
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Let's see my paternal grandfather died at 87; my paternal grandmother died at 79. My maternal grandfather died at 85 and my maternal grandmother is still alive at 78. My maternal maternal great grandfather lived to be 101, so I hope I take after him, but in all actuality, I imagine I'll live into my eighties.

Spaniard_Truth
06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Not very long. This time 3 years ago, I only had around a 20% chance of still being alive today. I seem to be okay for now, but I doubt I'll live beyond 40.

Groenewolf
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Changes are pretty high that I will life past 80, since three of the grandparents lifed beyond that age.

Vargtand
06-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Lets see

My paternal grandfather 87
my paternal grandmother 86 still counting
My maternal grandfather 70 still counting
My maternal grandmother umm 60ish (sorry have no real clue) still counting

My maternal great grandfather 91
My maternal grandfathers uncle (I think it was) 97 suicide

etc etc most people have died in the 90s or close to it in my family :)

Crose
06-13-2009, 03:30 AM
I'll live until I start wearing diapers, considering I don't get hit by a bus first. :thumb001:

Lulletje Rozewater
06-13-2009, 08:16 AM
I get the strongest feeling I wont survive another few years.

So you are telling me you are like a bullfrog:"1 jump and you croak :(

Octothorpe
06-18-2009, 07:53 PM
My maternal grandfather was a D-Day veteran, a smoker and drinker, worked with automotive chemicals and by-products--and lived to be 84. I'll take that for the baseline. Considering the pace of medical advancement, guessing on 90s to low 100s isn't too unrealistic. Of course, the metaphorical bus can strike at any time, so--cheers!