PDA

View Full Version : Greek in Athens: Love for Macedonia flows through my veins

Vojnik
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.dnevnik.com.mk/WBStorage/Articles/639E729ABF93BB44A4B8A67E5BD7879C.jpg

Team from Skopje based daily Dnevnik was sitting at a coffee shop in downtown Athens, discussing their daily tasks for the upcoming news report from Greece, when a man nearby spoke to them "Kaj ste Makedonci" (Hey Macedonians).

Dnevnik reporters are used to running into Macedonians in Greece, however, this time the man who spoke perfect Macedonian was Greek.

He presented himself as Gjorgji (in Macedonian), Gjorgje (in Serbian), Yorgos (In Greek) - whichever you prefer, he said.

"I love the magic in Macedonia, her sky. It is something that cannot be explained neither philosophically, nor historically, nor culturally. It is something that flows through your veins, but doesn't leave your mind, rather it settles deep in your heart". This is how Yorgos Yalluri, the son of Dimitrie presented his love for Macedonia, a country he has not visited in years.

In the 60's as a student at the faculty of Electrical Engineering in Belgrade, Yorgos had visited Macedonia countless times, stayed mostly in Skopje, but also in Bitola, Delcevo, Berovo and Kavadarci.

As Yorgos explained, a mixture of Greekness had created him. His father was from Samotraki and mother from the island of Samos.

During the 1960's, he was one of thousands of Greeks who received their education in the former Yugoslavia. He lived in Belgrade for seven years out of which the first year he studied the language, and the remaining six at the University.

The reporters from Dnevnik were pleasantly surprised by Yorgos' command of the Macedonian language, not just the mainstream, but his ability to joke using Macedonian dialects. His travelings through Yugoslavia helped him learned Serbian and Macedonian. But he didn't stop there, Yorgos today speaks excellent Romanian, Bulgarian, French, English, Arabic and Albanian.

Yorgos explained his friendship with Macedonian students helped him perfect his command of the language. He became emotional when reflecting on his friendship with g.g. Stefan (current head of the Macedonian Orthodox Church), his friendship with Laze Kitanovski, the Angelovski brothers, Ferid Muhic, Ranko Rangelov, he remembers his meetings with Tito Belicanec, visiting Blaze Chulev in Kavadarci, Vasil Tupurkovski (head of Macedonian Olympic Committee)...

Yorgos had countless questions about Skopje, Kenzo Tange and what he did in Skopje, asked whether the Bazaar was as he remembered it, Debar Maalo, Esma Redzepova, Suto Orizari... where he met his first love.

"She was gorgeous. Redzmija was one of those women that you grab and run. Dear lord, she was so intelligent. I came specifically from Belgrade to visit her. Unfortunately, her brother wouldn't let us get married" Yorgos was nostalgic about his youth.

Hardly anyone knows the name of Alexander's horse

Yorgos says he doesn't like politics very much, however "every one of us is a little bit of a politician, so whether you like it or not, political overtones reflect on each individual"

Talking about Macedonia, the name dispute is unavoidable. The name is a problem without a problem, says Yorgos adding we need to seat down and talk about it.

"Over here, we'are exploiting the geographical name Macedonia, of your Macedonia. Greeks are historically uneducated. I can ask a Greek right here "where is Skopje", and they will say "above Greece". If I tell them Skopje is the capital of the country we are not recognizing, they will tell me I know nothing while the individual providing the response has never set foot in Macedonia. Many times my friends will start talking about Macedonia, and I stop them and tell them ... lets talk only if you're well read and informed, if you are not, lets not talk. Most Greeks have no idea what is the name of Alexander's horse. They don't understand that 'knowledge' is the biggest weapon people can have. You Macedonians are much more informed and knowledgeable - says Yorgos.

Yorgos adds that Greeks are egotistical people, believe that Athens is the center of the planet.

A member of Dnevnik's team asked Yorgos why is it that Greece are so afraid from the word "Macedonia".

"They are very afraid that your Macedonia will move to the south. Fear keeps the vineyard, as you Macedonians say. No one knows what the future brings, and what will the Americans and Turks do."

Europe made us Lazy

As any other Greek, Yorgos too is worried for the future of his country, for his own future and his business. After years spent working in a Patras' factory and Athens Utility system, he now has his own company for electrical installations. For now Yorgos says business is good. He has enough to pay his 15 employees, mostly Romanians, Bulgarians and Albanians. He is the happiest with the work ethic of the Albanians. Yorgos says he could not say anything good for Bulgarians and Romanians while the Greeks he says are simply not interested, though he doesn't believe they are lazy.

"Greeks are not lazy. Europe made us lazy. They gave money and paid for everything, for a long time. So until five years ago, everyone lived very well, but not one bothered to ask where are this money coming from! Every political party that came to power hired their own people, so for instance a cleaning lady at the Utility company was making 1,300 euros per month. Pensions went as high as 3,000 euros per month while others were given 500,000 euros to retire! Many people used those money to buy state issued bonds which today are worth nothing" explains Yorgos adding most of the people today were living on money they got from ATMs.

Chauvinism towards Vinozito (Ouranio Toxo)

It is a great mistake for Greeks and Greece not to recognize Ouranio Toxo, but to recognize the Golden Eggs (as he calls Golden Dawn). This is chauvinistic fear without reason, says Yorgos.

- Sick society gives birth to snake eggs, just like it happened here. In criminal conditions such as here, when the state cannot offer you protection, they turn to the "eggs", says Yorgos.

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/21309/2/

Seems like a very intelligent man. It's a shame that the majority of Greeks are not like him.

Midori
06-29-2012, 11:44 AM
He's probably considered a traitor in Greece.

Queen B
06-29-2012, 10:21 PM
He's probably considered a traitor in Greece.
No, justa a stupid leftist.
And actually, yes that kind of people are traitors.
They are of those fuckers that fought against Greece in civil war and wanted to united with the communist bloc.
Only a stupid person 1) would call golden dawn as golden eggs (typical communist spelling-change) 2) would say that noone knows where Skopje is 3) Doesn't know Alexander's horse

Vojnik
07-01-2012, 01:46 AM
No, justa a stupid leftist.
And actually, yes that kind of people are traitors.
They are of those fuckers that fought against Greece in civil war and wanted to united with the communist bloc.
Only a stupid person 1) would call golden dawn as golden eggs (typical communist spelling-change) 2) would say that noone knows where Skopje is 3) Doesn't know Alexander's horse

You should just be happy that you have some descent open minded people like that man. If you had more people like him, Greece would probably not be in the position it is in. Typical modern Greeks like you and the guys at Hristi Avghi are the reason why Greece is fucked.

Queen B
07-01-2012, 02:04 AM
You should just be happy that you have some descent open minded people like that man. If you had more people like him, Greece would probably not be in the position it is in. Typical modern Greeks like you and the guys at Hristi Avghi are the reason why Greece is fucked.
No, if we had more like this leftist, we wouldn't be Greece anymore.
We would have been part of the communist bloc after the civil war, and then no Greece after that.

At the end, we prefer nationalists that love our country, instead of some leftist morons.
Greece is fucked because there were politicians the the Jew-Jeffrey Papandreou and his fucking followers.

If there were more Greeks like me, or more Greeks like the Chrysi Avgi, you wouldn't exist by now.

Oh ~ Well, that's why you wish no Chrysi Avgi existed.

Its funny, because for your country you support a nationalist, and for my country, you think that non-nationalists and leftists are fine people.

:wink

Vojnik
07-01-2012, 03:05 AM
If there were more Greeks like me, or more Greeks like the Chrysi Avgi, you wouldn't exist by now.

What, are you saying that yous would of massacred Macedonians? lol

Oh ~ Well, that's why you wish no Chrysi Avgi existed.

Chrysi Avgi is digging Greece's grave.

Its funny, because for your country you support a nationalist, and for my country, you think that non-nationalists and leftists are fine people.

:wink

VMRO and Nikola Gruevski are not mentally ill Nazis like Chrysi Avgi at least. Love your country and people, yes, but don't wish harm against others as Chrysi Avgi continuously are doing.

Vojnik
07-01-2012, 03:10 AM
No, if we had more like this leftist, we wouldn't be Greece anymore.
We would have been part of the communist bloc after the civil war, and then no Greece after that.

What makes you think he is a leftist and communist? He spent alot of time in Macedonia in his youth, he learnt the Macedonian language, he got to know the people and country very well, Why should he be considered as a traitor in Greece? Leave the man alone, although I doubt he will be left alone by Chrysi Avgi if they find out about this interview.

Onur
07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I also wondered what you mean by that. How come Golden Dawn would cause Macedonia or Vojnik to disappear?

How about us in Turkey? If there would be more Greeks like you and like GD, would you spare our lives in Turkey after you dealt with Macedonia? Or is there Albania after Macedonia?

I see a sick mentality here.

Drawing-slim
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Greeks and yugosllavia failed because both countries had one thing in common. Both non-european
Between greece and yugosllavia tito and now, west has given over one trillion dollars that never been paid back.

Give albania only 50 billion loan, less then one percent of what west has wasted on greece and serbia, and see.

Il Principe
07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I also wondered what you mean by that. How come Golden Dawn would cause Macedonia or Vojnik to disappear?

How about us in Turkey? If there would be more Greeks like you and like GD, would you spare our lives in Turkey after you dealt with Macedonia? Or is there Albania after Macedonia?
Indeed, you in Turkey might be next. You see, when Dandelion is irate on a forum, that means a sure sign of doom and cannot be allowed. Internet wrath is a very serious thing, my friend. One thing might lead to another, and one day Turkey may no longer exist on the map. And your skin might end up on Greece's lampshades, and your body fat in Dandelion's shower soap.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Onur
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Yes i am. I m sooo scared that my bones are shaking when i see the mighty gypsy;

http://www.left.gr/upload/2568_1.jpg

Queen B
07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
What, are you saying that yous would of massacred Macedonians? lol

We can't massacre Greeks. We would neither massacre Slavs from the North, too.
You have underestimated the Greece's positive position towards you.

If Golden Dawn was in power, or was in power a bit ago, instead of ND and Pasok, the embargo against you , would be continued, all the diplomatic relations, as well as any kind of trade/investment relations would be cut of, borders would be closed. There would be no ''name talks'' at all.

If Golden Dawn was in power, there would be no ''open'' borders in 1991, as Samaras did, so all the Albanians would come to Greece.

What makes you think he is a leftist and communist? He spent alot of time in Macedonia in his youth, he learnt the Macedonian language, he got to know the people and country very well, Why should he be considered as a traitor in Greece? Leave the man alone, although I doubt he will be left alone by Chrysi Avgi if they find out about this interview.
There is NO single person that went to Yugoslavia to study, THAT period of time (and not the last 15 years) if he wasn't a leftist.

Personally ''I leave the man alone'', its not me that posted this article.:rolleyes2:

I see a sick mentality here.
Check your eyesight then.

Onur
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
If Golden Dawn was in power, there would be no ''open'' borders in 1991, as Samaras did, so all the Albanians would come to Greece.
You cannot resolve your immigrant problem without declaring Schengen agreement as annul and leaving Schengen zone. EU is using you as a garbage can for dumping their immigrants to you rather than trying to send them to their country of origin one by one because it`s more costly business. According to Schengen agreement, any illegal immigrant can be deported back to the first EU country they entered from, so it`s Greece. Western Europeans are smart, they know that all the immigrants comes from the east, so they convinced you to sign it and with that way, they are dumping their immigrant problem on Greece and Italy`s shoulders. They cant even tolerate few gypsies themselves as we saw what Sarkozy did to them.

Afaik, Golden Dawn doesn't have such initiative, so they wouldn't be able to resolve your immigrant problem anyway. GD`s only solution was chasing migrants in the streets of Athens with baseball bats. This might appeal ignorant people of Greece but ofc this is not a solution at all but it only shows that you Greeks are more ignorant and primitive than Afghans immigrants in your country.

You have no other choice than leaving Schengen otherwise Greece will continue to be some kind of illegal migrant camp of Europe. If you leave Shengen, then Greece can say the same thing as Turkey says;
"These people are not Greek citizens and they dont wanna stay in Greece anyway. You are responsible of taking care of them or send them to their country of origin"

Queen B
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
You cannot resolve your immigrant problem without declaring Schengen agreement as annul and leaving Schengen zone
I am not talking about present only, that's why I mentioned it in my post ''was in power a bit ago''

. EU is using you as a garbage can for dumping their immigrants to you rather than trying to send them to their country of origin one by one because it`s more costly business. According to Schengen agreement, any illegal immigrant can be deported back to the first EU country they entered from, so it`s Greece. Western Europeans are smart, they know that all the immigrants comes from the east, so they convinced you to sign it and with that way, they are dumping their immigrant problem on Greece and Italy`s shoulders. They cant even tolerate few gypsies themselves as we saw what Sarkozy did to them.
Yes, unfortunately, that happens. EU and Turkey are giving us garbage, and we are stuck with all those illegals.

Ivo Arandur
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Lol...Dandelion...serious question - do you really like Hrisi Avgi (or however you spell their name) or are you just teasing Vojnik? :)

I honestly can't believe that an average well educated (and sane) Greek person would like those guys from Golden Dawn...and not because they are fascists/nazis or whatever...not at all...but because they are plain ridiculous and if they were in a movie or some kind of show all people would laugh their asses off watching them...they are just a bunch of morons making fools of themselves - we have them here in Bulgaria and they are equally ridiculous...they exist everywhere...

I'm not a big fan of the country Greece but I've spend a few good years in Cyprus and I'm fond of the "Greekness" in general because of those years - so I feel really bad for the normal Greek people abroad who have to explain their foreign friends about Hrisi Avgi...I'm living in Bulgaria at the moment and in my previous job I had a Greek colleague, a really cool guy who was very passionate about what's going on in Greece right now and had some very "nice" things to say about ND, Papandreou and the likes - but when it came to Golden Dawn I felt really bad for him when he tried to explain to us that they are just a bunch of idiots and managed to win so many votes only because of the situation in the country and normally people wouldn't vote for them and so on and so on...

Queen B
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Lol...Dandelion...serious question - do you really like Hrisi Avgi (or however you spell their name) or are you just teasing Vojnik? :)

I honestly can't believe that an average well educated (and sane) Greek person would like those guys from Golden Dawn...and not because they are fascists/nazis or whatever...not at all...but because they are plain ridiculous and if they were in a movie or some kind of show all people would laugh their asses off watching them...they are just a bunch of morons making fools of themselves - we have them here in Bulgaria and they are equally ridiculous...they exist everywhere...

You have no idea what their actions is, especially compared to what other parties are doing.
Most people think that they are just fascist that want to bother ''innocent'' immigrants

• You know, in Greece, the goverment funds each political party with ENORMOUS sum of money for their campains.
All of the parties have used it thoughtlessly while GD used almost NONE and the whole money sum went to the aid for Greeks ( mentioned by stupidity as super market for Greeks, in another thread by a ''friendly'' Turk).

• Also, NONE of the parliament of Chrysi Avgi members will accept the whole salary, only the part that is equal to a army member officer, and the rest will ALSO go to aid the people in need.

• The last years, in the troubled Athens areas (ghettos) where the few Greeks have been left (mostly because they own a house and CAN'T afford to move somewhere else to pay rent) they have given their cells to the Greeks there so they can call them when 1) They want help for supermarket 2) they want to be accompanied when exiting house at night 3) or even transfer them to doctors and hospital.

So, unlike believe the stupid propaganda from the news, or believing in WORDS , I believe in ACTIONS.

So yeah, I like them, way more than the rest of the political parties.
No, they are not the perfect party, I don't think there is one in Greece, but they are way better than the rest, that's for sure.

Ivo Arandur
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Heh dandelion, I won't argue with you cos I can 't say how much of what you say is true + I'm completely certain that for every point you make, a supporter of Syrisa for example (can't spell their name either) will make 2 counter-points...and in any case, I said that most Greeks should be ashamed of those guys from Golden Dawn not because they are fascists/nazis or anything like that BUT because they are morons...I've seen their members on TV (incl. their leader) their image just screams "morons" once you see them....and btw they are no fascists/nazis or anything like that - they are just a bunch of, how to say it politely, not-very-clever people who've seen a movie (or something) about WWII and thought "oh look how cool are those Germans in their uniforms - I wanna be just like them"...

I mean seriously, just listen/watch to them speak...

Queen B
07-07-2012, 12:57 PM
a supporter of Syrisa for example (can't spell their name either)
Syriza (with a z)

Queen B
07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Heh dandelion, I won't argue with you cos I can 't say how much of what you say is true
I am not talking from my ass, I am talking about things I am certain of .
For sure there are very more ''good'' they've done, but I can't confirm to mention. Those are enough already.

BUT because they are morons...I've seen their members on TV (incl. their leader) their image just screams "morons" once you see them....
I have learned to judge a book of its contents , not by its cover.
Plus, for me is actions that matters, not talking.

If you don't agree or don't like em, your problem ...

I mean seriously, just listen/watch to them speak...
I have. Unlike you that you have only see some selectively speeches translated, I have seen plent of interviews, talking about lots of subjects.

Ivo Arandur
07-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Ok, you might be right...I don't have a first hand experience with them - all I know is what I've seen on youtube and what the couple of Greeks that I know have told me....and to be honest, I'd really like it if Golden Dawn would come to power - it would be an interesting experiment to observe...the only problem is that Bulgaria is too close to Greece and if anything goes wrong we can get hurt too :D

Queen B
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Ok, you might be right...I don't have a first hand experience with them - all I know is what I've seen on youtube and what the couple of Greeks that I know have told me....and to be honest, I'd really like it if Golden Dawn would come to power - it would be an interesting experiment to observe...the only problem is that Bulgaria is too close to Greece and if anything goes wrong we can get hurt too :D
Golden Dawn can't come to power too soon. For me, its political power that gains too much power in such a little time, should be monitored. Its good that they entered parliament, so people can see their actions during time. A couple of years, would be good.
Its like when getting new shoes, the first days, you are way too carefull not to get dirty, but then...
Not that they ever give that kind of evidence, but I am tired of all the Greek political parties so far, so I m not voting or be sure for anything.

Most of Greeks are trying to act way liberal and politically correct, while they are not.
F.e. after the slap by Kassiadiaris to the lesbo of KKE, all of them shout ''what the fuck, where do we live'' and stuff like that, talking about every kind of possible accusations about his behavior. what is the truth is that the popularity of GD did NOT go down (actually increased, while it was decreased a bit after the 1st elections) and Kassidiaris have said that all the people that spoke to him was to congratulate him :lol: