PDA

View Full Version : List of "Best Cities to Live In" published; Vancouver #1 on Earth

Lenny
06-13-2009, 12:45 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4332/20090610jollycity175.gif

Of the hundreds of cities considered, Vancouver, B.C., took the top spot worldwide, followed by Vienna, Melbourne and Toronto. Cities in Asia and Africa fared the worst, with Harare, Zimbabwe, followed by Algiers and Dhaka, Bangladesh (tied), thanks to "civil instability and poor infrastructure," the report said.

Pittsburgh is America's best city (http://post-gazette.com/pg/09161/976252-53.stm) / Economist (http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13809770)

(BTW, Tehran is #130, i.e. rounding out the bottom ten. The pro-Iranian editors of this graphic tried to cover this up, but the truth always prevails. ;D
I've tried to find the full rankings but apparently the Economist wants me to pay them some outrageous amount of money for them -- wtf?)

Tabiti
06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
What is so great about Vienna? Been there and was full of arabs everywhere...

Atlas
06-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I found Canada indeed very safe and with rather pleasant people.

The cities are not hellhole like American hubs like Detroit or LA.

Phlegethon
06-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I live close to #6 on that list (http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html) and still hate both that city and the surrounding area with every fibre of my body.

Loki
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Algiers is the second worst city ... on the Mediterranean! Hard to believe ... :confused: Even Arabs aren't that bad. Anyone been to Algiers before?

Atlas
06-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Algiers is the second worst city ... on the Mediterranean! Hard to believe ... :confused: Even Arabs aren't that bad. Anyone been to Algiers before?

Moi. Isn't Algiers where we find the Eiffel Tower and the Louvres ?

Atlas
06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
On a more serious note. I agree with you Loki. Arabs, as we know them in Europe can be quite unpleasant and very obnoxious, not to say dangerous sometimes. But in Maghreb, they are quite different, even the young. I've been to Tunisia, Tunis and the southern cities. Never had trouble, well, I'm not naive, I know they're quite interested by our wallet (not stealing but buying them stuffs) and therefore appear to be quite nice and cultured on Europe. Really if we had arabs like that in Europe, in limited numbers, I'd be a lot more tolerant.

Barreldriver
06-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Of the hundreds of cities considered, Vancouver, B.C., took the top spot worldwide, followed by Vienna, Melbourne and Toronto. Cities in Asia and Africa fared the worst, with Harare, Zimbabwe, followed by Algiers and Dhaka, Bangladesh (tied), thanks to "civil instability and poor infrastructure," the report said.

Pittsburgh is America's best city (http://post-gazette.com/pg/09161/976252-53.stm) / Economist (http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13809770)

(BTW, Tehran is #130, i.e. rounding out the bottom ten. The pro-Iranian editors of this graphic tried to cover this up, but the truth always prevails. ;D
I've tried to find the full rankings but apparently the Economist wants me to pay them some outrageous amount of money for them -- wtf?)

Cool Zurich is listed, my grandfather's family originated there. :P

Phlegethon
06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
It is also one of the most expensive places in the world, unfortunately.

Sally
06-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I live close to #6 on that list and still hate both that city and the surrounding area with every fibre of my body.

Then move to the seventh best place on the list, "Helsinski"! ;)

Rachel
06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
i wonder where NYC ranked on that List... i mean last i look i think NYC was in the top spot for most crime in America so i wonder where it ranks in accordance with other countries ?

Loki
06-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I've been to Zurich once and didn't like it very much. It was boring as hell, and I saw a lot of non-Europeans, quite out of character for Switzerland.

Phlegethon
06-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Out of character for Switzerland? The percentage of foreigners is reaching 40% there.

Útrám
06-13-2009, 03:13 PM

I lived and worked there for almost 3 months on a student visa in early 2008, I was in a nice more European(French colonials) ward of the city that had nothing but endless cafés and sunshine. If you had the courage to enter the slums you would turn into Albert Camus's Meursault in two nanoseconds and started looking for a revolver.

Sally
06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I lived and worked there for almost 3 months on a student visa in early 2008, I was in a nice more European(French colonials) ward of the city that had nothing but endless cafés and sunshine. If you had the courage to enter the slums you would turn into Albert Camus's Meursault in two nanoseconds and started looking for a revolver.

;)

ac2MEen9340

Treffie
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Vancouver has been at no1 for quite a while now. When I visited the place, I thought it was a beautiful city in a fantastic setting, but probably the most multicultural city that I've ever been to.

Phlegethon
06-13-2009, 03:31 PM
As long as you are not looking for a bride it is still a good option, especially jobwise.

Lenny
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Vancouver has been at no1 for quite a while now. When I visited the place, I thought it was a beautiful city in a fantastic setting, but probably the most multicultural city that I've ever been to.
I've heard that Orientals will probably outnumber pure-Europeans in Greater Vancouver in a mere 20 years or so.

This was exactly the old fear that was so successful in the time of our great-great grandaparents -- leading to the Asian exclusion acts in both the USA and Canada. Looks like it was just delayed.

Phlegethon
06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Those who pay the piper call the tune.

Eldritch
06-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Baghdad has been the worst city in the world in these types of rankings for years, now it's not even in the bottom ten. Hmmmm.

It's interesting to know that Sydney is in Austria btw.

Also I've lived in Finland for 2/3 of my life but never heard of a city here called "Helsinski".

Tony
06-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Abidjan in Ivory Coast is not that bad , in fact Ivory Coast is one the most developed african countries , there are other cities far worse than her in Africa , moreover I see too many anglosaxon multiracial/cultural haven/cesspool (at each his own) and European ones are underestimated , where is Stockholm or the German cities?

In my opinion the criteria used by The Economist (also called The Globalist) are biased.

Brännvin
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I see too many anglosaxon multiracial/cultural haven/cesspool (at each his own) and European ones are underestimated , where is Stockholm or the German cities?

This survey made by the Monocle magazine, the result is quite different..

Best cities to live in;

Zürich
Copenhagen
Tokyo
Munich
Helsinki
Stockholm
Vienna
Paris
Melbourne
Berlin
Honolulu
Madrid
Sydney
Vancouver
Barcelona
Fukuoka
Oslo
Singapore
Montréal
Auckland
Amsterdam
Kyoto
Hamburg
Geneva
Lisbon
Source: Monocle Magazine

Link (http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article737420.ece)

Jamt
06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
This survey made by the Monocle magazine, the result is quite different..

Best cities to live in;

Zürich
Copenhagen
Tokyo

Source: Monocle Magazine

Link (http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/article737420.ece)

I belive more in the Monocle survey. Copenhagen simply must be in top 3. Anything else is pure ignorance.

Phlegethon
06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I belive more in the Monocle survey. Copenhagen simply must be in top 3. Anything else is pure ignorance.

Yeah, indeed!

Berlingske Tidende - Denmark

Night driving ban in Copenhagen?

Copenhagen's city council is considering placing a ban on driving in the city between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. in a bid to counter rising levels of crime involving gang wars and stabbings. The Copenhagen daily Berlingske Tidende rubbishes the measure as pure activism: "With a wave of the magic wand all freedom of movement is to be restricted. It looks very poorly thought-out, to say the least, to believe that a ban on driving in certain areas will stop gang members from moving from one place to another. Together with the fact that it would be the task of the police to enforce a ban that allows citizens and tourists to drive around under certain conditions, the plan conveys the impression of a baroque bureaucratic construct that is unfit for fighting the gang crime that has taken hold in the city for far too long now." (21/06/2009)

Fortis in Arduis
06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
So Perth is better than London? LOL...

Jamt
06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, indeed!

Berlingske Tidende - Denmark

Night driving ban in Copenhagen?

Copenhagen's city council is considering placing a ban on driving in the city between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. in a bid to counter rising levels of crime involving gang wars and stabbings. (21/06/2009)

Phlegethon. The reason the city council want curfew is that young Danish men are standing up now. Do you do that?

Phlegethon
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Phlegethon. The reason the city council want curfew is that young Danish men are standing up now. Do you do that?

Yes. Each and every morning, actually. And even at night I can go everywhere I want to. And I will do so.

Loki
06-24-2009, 10:06 PM
And even at night I can go everywhere I want to.

Except America. ;)

Atlas
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Well in my small coutryside city I can go anywhere anytime without getting into troubles I sometimes encounter some blacks who are not necessarily looking for trouble either. Still, if I'm out at night, it's because I am drunk, no reason whatsoever to take walk by night. Beside coming back from parties, restaurant etc...

Phlegethon
06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Except America. ;)

I said: Everywhere I want to. ;)