PDA

View Full Version : Smoking rates by Nation -- The hardest smokers on Earth? The Greeks

Lenny
06-13-2009, 02:02 PM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9705/smokinggraph.jpg

GREECE has the highest smoking rate in the world, with each person puffing over eight cigarettes every day according to ERC, a market-research company. Of the 123 countries surveyed, 17 European countries feature in the top 20. Smoking rates tend to decline when countries get wealthier, thanks to higher taxes, bans and health education; Spain, Japan and South Korea, however, remain resolutely addicted. The hard-smoking French may look as if they are kicking the habit, but around 20% of cigarettes are sold illegally, to avoid hefty tobacco duty, and are not included in the figures. The tiny cigarette consumption of Indians compared with the Chinese might in part be explained by Indian fondness for chewing tobacco.

The Economist (http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13766483)

Source data on %-of-citizens-who-smoke and per-capita cigerette consumption: WHO (http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/mpower_report_prevalence_data_2008.pdf)

Tabiti
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmm, only few days ago I had an serious argue on some nationalist forum because someone had found information claiming Bulgaria to be on the first places of smoking. Few radical ones accepted that as tragedy like it is our only problem. I just said they rely on unclaimed studies and seems was right;)

Loki
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll stay away from Greece then. I detest smoking and public smokers.

Atlas
06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
The law on banning smoking in public places like bars, restaurants was a good one indeed.

I could even push it further saying some people in a crowded streets annoys me with their smoke...

The Lawspeaker
06-13-2009, 09:28 PM
The law on banning smoking in public places like bars, restaurants was a good one indeed.
I disagree. Here the government steps over the boundaries separating them from the personal space and the free market and pushes the owner and entrepreneur aside.
There is only one person that should decide whether he or she allows smoking in the pub, bar or restaurant and that would be the owner and no one else but the owner.
If people are against smoking then they should create their own bars, restaurants and pubs because this present law is killing business and thousands of pubs have already gone bankrupt with more to follow.

I could even push it further saying some people in a crowded streets annoys me with their smoke...
I could agree with that stance since a crowded street is a public space (unlike a pub or restaurant which is privately owned) and I actually think that a smoking ban in public transport is a good thing.

On a more personal note: I am going to cutback on my smoking since I already notice the effects it has on my throat.

Atlas
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh well Tristan we could eventually debate as to whether bars, pubs and restaurants being public place or not. Of course they are first a private property. But they are also public places, in the sense that everyone can go there, and people who are non-smoker shouldn't have to put up with smoker in the first place.

If every owner of such place had the choice to either ban or not smoking in his property, he'd definitely agree with people smoking since, as you said, they go bankrupt with a smoking ban. But think please about the people who don't go there for second hand smoke. That's why the governement took a tough, but probably less of an evil choice for the public health.

I speak as an non-smoker, and as an ex-smoker. And guess what ? Even when I was a smoker, I was bothered by others smoking, and I was a respectful smoker, not smoking in too crowded areas like I said.

The best thing to deal with being smoking and non-smoking areas in every place, there I agree with you, as long as they would be well-separated, therefore I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Skandi
06-13-2009, 11:54 PM
I disagree. Here the government steps over the boundaries separating them from the personal space and the free market and pushes the owner and entrepreneur aside.
There is only one person that should decide whether he or she allows smoking in the pub, bar or restaurant and that would be the owner and no one else but the owner.

Pub short for PUBLIC HOUSE
bars are public spaces, and I for one certainly like the smoke free atmosphere, there have been no mass closures since the ban came in, that was all scaremongering. Think of the people who have to work in those places, I did it was not nice, and don't say that we have a choice, because yes we have a choice, work or starve.

The Lawspeaker
06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Pub short for PUBLIC HOUSE
bars are public spaces, and I for one certainly like the smoke free atmosphere, there have been no mass closures since the ban came in, that was all scaremongering. Think of the people who have to work in those places, I did it was not nice, and don't say that we have a choice, because yes we have a choice, work or starve.
Well- the situation has been different and over a thousand have already closed and unlike Britain we don't have such a "public" culture. And no-- some entrepreneurs can choose to serve to non-smoking clientèle and you could also work there instead.:thumb001:

Or perhaps even better: pick another workplace where people would smoke less (or not at all) anyways. People smoke in pubs and they have always done so so if you can't stand the heat you better stay out of the kitchen..

Jamt
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Respect, big time Greece:thumb001:. And newer give in to the conspiracy.
If I am not mistaken Greeks live as long as, or longer than anybody.

Lenny
06-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Respect, big time Greece:thumb001:. And newer give in to the conspiracy.
If I am not mistaken Greeks live as long as, or longer than anybody.
Are you saying smoking increases life expectancy or has no effect on it?

What about he #2 ranked country then? I don't think smoking has helped their life expectancy:eek:

Russian Life Expectancy (male): 59 years

Jamt
06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Lenny. You are part of the conspiracy.
I will never give up.

SwordoftheVistula
06-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Are you saying smoking increases life expectancy or has no effect on it?

What about he #2 ranked country then? I don't think smoking has helped their life expectancy:eek:

A musing which I have heard but seen no evidence but may contain some truth, is that the rise in massive obesity is linked to the drop in smoking