PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be buried, cremated or other?

Goidelic
06-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I was talking with some of my friends the other day, and the subject came up whether we wanted to be cremated, buried, vitrified, mummified, frozen, donated to science or whatever. I mentioned I'd rather be buried to have my bones hopefully preserved for awhile, and I just might be dug up in time on an ancient archaeological dig :tongue:D

Some of my other friends said they'd rather be cremated just to end everything and that'll be it. ;):tongue

Sally
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Buried, thank you. I have never liked the idea of cremation for myself, personally, even though the Church permits it now.

Loki
06-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Cremated.

Atlas
06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I hesitate. I want to be buried for some reasons, like my graves to be shown to my future family. But I don't wanna be eaten by ants and cockroaches. For the second part of the sentence why not be cremated.

SwordoftheVistula
06-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Don't really care. If anyone has use of my organs or anything else, they're welcome to them

Vulpix
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Frozen :D.

Gooding
06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Cremation, with a headstone put above my buried urn.

Andrew_ _ Gooding
1973-2058
Folkish Norse Heathen
Husband of Tamara
Father of Kiersten, Erich,
Catarina and Armelin
Thorsman
National Patriot

Electronic God-Man
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I want my body to be ritually consumed by my loved ones.

jerney
06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Buried, me thinks.

Birka
06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Dirt to dirt. I want to be buried in a pine box, so eventually I do return to dirt. Today's burials are likea perpetual entombment.

Paleo
06-14-2009, 10:05 PM
i really dont care, if i had to choose i would be fed to polar bears or something.

Phlegethon
06-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I want to be transformed into Soylent Green.

http://maishet.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/soylent-green1.jpg

Soylent Green is Phleg!

chap
06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I would want my body to be left unburied on a patch of grass, perhaps close to a tree. Failing that, cremated.

sturmwalkure
06-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Cremated.

Treffie
06-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Cremation please. Having read the horror stories of people being buried who weren't dead, at least my proper death will be over quickly.

Ĉmeric
06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd rather not think about it at this point. But being enbalmed & put on display like Lenin sounds kind of cool.:rip:

Rainraven
06-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Cremated.

I want to be an organ donor and although they say you can then have an open coffin I find the idea a bit weird. Cremation also gives me more options as to where to go. There's a lovely spot in Nelson, up a bit of a hill, about a 30 minute walk to a look out point over the sea. I think it'd be a nice place :)

Elveon
06-15-2009, 04:47 AM
Cremated and go directly to Walhalla; there is more space in French cemetaries anyway:D

Bloodeagle
06-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Cremated: I don't want to contribute to ozone depletion with my rotting corpse methane. :D
Viking style: In my longship with my slave women, horses and servants!

Psychonaut
06-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Here's my plan. Once I buy my land (at least a hundred acres or so), I want to build a Heathen temple with a cemetery attached to the back of it. That way me, my family members and my (future) kindred members can be buried on ground that is hallowed to our Gods. I would like for my coffin to be made of stone and for some objects that define my station in life to be buried with me, as was the custom of my Heathen Frankish ancestors.

Eldritch
06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I've donated my remains to science, and whatever's left after they've done going through me will be cremated.

Loki
06-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Cremation please. Having read the horror stories of people being buried who weren't dead, at least my proper death will be over quickly.

Same reasoning here. True "death" remains a mystery, no-one can really tell when it is complete. There's always a little something left of you until you're completely decomposed. Who knows, maybe even some brain activity after a long while. Could be unpleasant. I'd rather be cremated and get it over with. No doubts after that!

HawkR
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Burned, not cremated and put in an urn, but either be burned upon a fire or in a boat, whatever best for my kids who will do it. And then there'll be a stone raised for me where it will stand some random shit made by me kids. Hopefully my wife will be dead then so she won't have to suffer because of my death.

Rachel
06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
... i am still not sure what my ansectors believed in terms of death and dying however growing up i have come to adapt a belief i think stemmed from celtic tradations and that is to be cremated and then have my ashes mixed with the soil that would use used to plant a baby tree, that way as the tree grew i grew and therefore was immortal.

Tabiti
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Cremated - I don't like the idea of being placed in a coffin and turned into worms' dinner.
Everything from my physical being must perish.

Absinthe
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Or people going to dig out their family members after the burial period has expired, only to find out they have only partially decomposed. :eek:

Lady L
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Bury me.

Phlegethon
06-15-2009, 01:11 PM
"We are gathered here tonight,
to lay to rest Abigail LaFey,
whom we now know
was first born dead
on The 7th Day of July 1777.

Abigail must be nailed to her coffin
with 7 silver spikes,
1 through each arm, hand and knee,
and let the last of the 7 be drawn through
her mouth
so that she may never rise and cause evil again

Who will be the first?"

"I O'Brian of the Black Horsemen."

DEuMN7GmrXg

I'm alive but dead, awake but asleep
As friends gather round and mourners they weep
My mind thinks of all the things I have done
My body is cold but my heart beat goes on
And on ... and on

As they lower me down into that hole in the ground
I scream out for help but they hear not a sound
I tear at the lid, my fingers they bleed
Is this happening to me or is it just a dream?

Summon the dead
Baphomet's call
Blood on my hands

Let me out of here!

My bones are decayed, my flesh it doth rot
I'm lying in silk, take the lid off this box
My lungs gasp for air, my eyes scream for sight
I promise the rise of my body this night

Summon the dead!
Baphomet's call
Blood on my hands
I am telling you all!
Take heed of my plea!
Answer my call!
I'm gonna be free!

Cato
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Cremated, like the heathens of old!

Skandi
06-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Buried, so my body can be of some use to the world, not eating up recourses on a fire :p
Actually I want to be buried north south, unpreserved and in a cardboard coffin. I will have to avoid the plot that is already bought as it is in consecrated land and that would just be wrong.
I've been to several funerals and I have to say that one of the reasons I would not be cremated is simply that the ceremony is terrible,

Phlegethon
06-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I've been to several funerals and I have to say that one of the reasons I would not be cremated is simply that the ceremony is terrible,

There was a silly damn bird called a Phoenix back before Christ: every few hundred years he built a pyre and burned himself up. He must have been first cousin to Man. But every time he burnt himself up he sprang out of the ashes, he got himself born all over again. And it looks like we're doing the same thing, over and over, but we've got one damn thing the Phoenix never had. We know the damn silly thing we just did. We know all the damn silly things we've done for a thousand years, and as long as we know that and always have it around where we can see it, some day we'll stop making the goddam funeral pyres and jumping into the middle of them. We pick up a few more people that remember, every generation.

The sun burned every day. It burned Time. The world rushed in a circle and turned on its axis and time was busy burning the years and the people anyway, without any help from him. So if he burnt things with the firemen, and the sun burnt Time, that meant that everything burned!

Phlegethon
06-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't want to be buried in a pet sematary
I don't want to live my life again,
I don't want to be buried in a pet sematary
I don't want to live my life again.

Octothorpe
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd like my head to be sawn off, vitrified/frozen, and preserved until nanotechnology is sophisticated enough that all cellular-level damages can be repaired (including the damage we call 'aging') and full-body reconstruction is both common and cheap. By then, it'll be time to take a small ship out to the Asteroids, or maybe the Oort Cloud. See y'all then! :D

Beorn
06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I want my twenty children to carry my fat, grey and smelly alcohol diseased body up to the highest ridge of the valleys and place me on the funeral pyre that the family and local chavs have assembled for the local illegal celebrations of our Walpurgis night and burn me till I pop and sizzle like a well fed pig. To see my essence and soul float along the winds, carrying me home to my ancestors; leaving my blessing upon my beloved west England.

Failing that, I will resign my fate to the sickeningly grey and bureaucratic, badly constructed wooden coffin that boring and grey relatives will weep over as it sails along some fucking macabre conveyor belt of life into the cold flames of an incinerator.

That's if they get to find all my body parts of course. ;)

RoyBatty
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Viking style, complete with burning galley which was set on a collision course with the latest batch of asylum seekers from wherever :D

Ulf
06-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Throw me in a ditch for all I care, once I'm dead my body isn't my problem anymore.

Phlegethon
06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Throw me in a ditch for all I care, once I'm dead my body isn't my problem anymore.

A pretty young girl from the Oakland Hills
stole her dad's car and all her mom's pills
got all fucked up and drove off a cliff
ended up dead, dead in a ditch
just like her mother always told her she'd end up
all fucked up, dead, dead in a ditch

Cato
06-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I'd opt for burial, but burials are more expensive than cremations and the thought of my bones being dug up at a later date make me very uneasy. I've got a notion of an afterlife, perhaps even some sort of physical resurrection or recreation, so the idea of interlopers rifling around my grave and playing with my mortal remains fills me with pious horror.

RoyBatty
06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
A pretty young girl from the Oakland Hills
stole her dad's car and all her mom's pills
got all fucked up and drove off a cliff
ended up dead, dead in a ditch
just like her mother always told her she'd end up
all fucked up, dead, dead in a ditch

Sounds like a great anthem for an Emo party :laugh:

Barreldriver
06-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Prop me up 'side the jukebox when I die. :D

Brynhild
06-22-2009, 05:49 AM
I have a conflict of interest in this regard. I always harboured a notion that my family should have a burial mound, a place for our descendants to come back to and pay their respects. Then when their time comes, they, too, will be buried in the family mound.

On the other hand, I want a Viking funeral that would have my body on a pyre and burned, surrounded by my family and kin. There are rules and regulations for such means of disposal, but my troth are looking into possible loopholes that are pertinent to our religious practises.

Once I'm gone, it doesn't matter one iota. However, I do care about those I leave behind and I want them to know that my passing won't have been in vain.

A passage from the Havamal:

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
I simply wish to be thrown to the vultures and other birds, on top of the Table Mountain,far from the maddening crowd,while my family makes a video from my 'bird-dissection'.
Picking my eyes out,have a good bite off my liver-heart-kidneys.
Then the sight of millions of flies feasting on my so precious brain.:D:D:D

This is bizzaro :eek::wink:coffee:

Inese
06-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Tradition of my family is to get buried and i find it good and want to keep the tradition!! :) And you have a place to go when you want to visit the dead. A urn with ashes looks a little like a creative ash tray for cigarettes you know?? :rolleyes2:

Thorum
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Buried. I am an organ donor so what ever is left buried. I have a strong feeling for having a place that can be visited by future generations. I have already purchased 4 plots in a mountain cemetery here in Allegany County. Sorta romantic in a twisted way. My brother and mother were cremated and there is no proper place to visit and say HI!! ;)

~°2012°~
06-25-2009, 07:06 PM
"please explain"

Haugsettur.. I dont know the English word for it (maybe Útrám can help me out here), its an ancient Scandinavian/ Icelandic burial custom. ;)

http://www3.hi.is/~haeo1/myndir/AEttarmot/slides/Haugur%202%20landnamsmanns.jpg

Ĉmeric
06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
If you are going to be buried I think it should be in a family plot or a small cemetery where you have relatives buried. Whats the point of being buried in a field of strangers?

Tony
06-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Frozen :D.

Me too :p
I'd like to get frozen then getting waken up when cryogenic science will be supposedly developed enough say in 200 or 300 years otherwise I'd like to get embalmed and buried in a crypt underground in my garden , well I actually wouldn't want to die never.:rolleyes:

Barreldriver
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
If you are going to be buried I think it should be in a family plot or a small cemetery where you have relatives buried. Whats the point of being buried in a field of strangers?

Yep. Problem is, there's multiple family Cemeteries, most of my paternal kin is in Tennessee, Fellowship Cemetery. My papaw and mamaw have a plot reserved in a local cemetery, so I figure I'll go with that one, since I actually knew them and interacted with them, the folks in Fellowship Cemetery and the others I never knew personally, they're just names in the family tree so to speak.

This is all in the light that someone doesn't want to prop me up beside a jukebox. :D

Allenson
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, buried of course so that my skeletal remains & DNA can be dug up in thousands of years and subjected to a battery of anthropometric/racial investigations.

Bloody cremation craze during the Mesolithic has really left a hole in our anthropometric/genetic timeline! Selfish bastards. ;)

Óttar
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
In accordance with Hindu and other pagan funeral rites, I want to be set alight in the open air, hopefully near a river bank i.e. Ganges, Danube, the Rhein, Thames etc. Hindus in the UK are struggling for the British government to allow open air cremations, demonstrating that it is sanitary, and does not cause hazards.

I do not want my body to rot in a box in the earth for worms and other unmentionables to desecrate.

Allenson
06-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Hmmmm, biodegredation of organic materials occurs both on top of, and, beneath the ground's surface.....

Osweo
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Hmmmm, biodegredation of organic materials occurs both on top of, and, beneath the ground's surface.....

Hey, don't be going all Neolithic on us! :p

Actually I've always liked the open family passage tomb idea, with distant descendants interacting with my bones. :thumb001:

Cremation seems a shocking waste to me. I'd like to at least be of use to some lifeforms in death. Rather birds and beasts than invertebrates, mind. I suppose we'd have to set up some sort of exposure enclosure, like in the good old days on Salisbury Plain. I hear the Red Indians did similar too in places.

quotablepatella
07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Cremated, after any organs which can be donated, are donated.

derange
11-25-2011, 11:37 PM
I want my body to be fed into a garden mulcher on the altar and sprayed over the congregation in the church.

The Alchemist
11-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Who cares??? It's the same, one day we'll be just dust all the ways.....

askra
11-26-2011, 12:07 AM
i wanna be embalmed or deep-frozen to be ready when anyone will invent a way to resuscitate the deads :D

Unurautare
11-26-2011, 12:12 AM
I'll probably be buried in Orthodox Christian style,I don't think I'll have a choice.:)

*The sound effects will be awesome(+1 for the possessed-sounding old woman)
PwheHw1te4s

IceFairy
11-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I'd be frozen.

Morrigan
11-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Other.

I hope to be stuffed and mounted by a "rogue taxidermist" as part of some mythical creature display. Double-entendre not intended.

I mean, if someone could make a griffin out of a dead bird of prey and a dead lion, then why can't my corpse and that of a huge fish live on as a polyurethane mermaid?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Scagryn0013.jpg

Elbegast
11-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I would choose to be buried, but be frozen is an interesting option.;)

Hurrem sultana
11-26-2011, 01:02 AM
I'll probably be buried in Orthodox Christian style,I don't think I'll have a choice.:)

*The sound effects will be awesome(+1 for the possessed-sounding old woman)
PwheHw1te4s

looool:D

Piparskeggr
11-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Both my wife and I will be cremated and will have our ashes placed in the Veterans' cemetery near our hometowns in Massachusetts. The ashes of our cats will be placed in the "burn box" with us so these little creatures who have given us so much pleasure over the years will be with us always.

Oreka Bailoak
11-26-2011, 01:12 AM
I want to be frozen. Maybe in the future they can resurrect me with nano-robots and growing new body parts from scratch. It's worth a try. I want to live forever. I'm going to save up for it. Who knows what kind of technology we'll have in 60 years. I'm surprised we're only 7% of the total.

AussieScott
11-26-2011, 02:41 AM
I use to think cremated, but I wouldn't mind burial. I'll just stipulate which ever is cheaper, for my children's pockets.

rhiannon
11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm imaginative enough to like the idea of a cryogenic deep freeze until such time that technology existed to enable my body to be healed and able to live a full life....even if it was years and years into the future.

Other than that, just cremate me and play Queen's *Another One Bites the Dust* at my funeral:)

Kacca
12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
frozen after be embalmed

TheBorrebyViking
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Put onto a wooden boat, pushed out to sea, and have flaming arrows show at the boat.

finŝaų
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Cremated on an altar below the Sky-Father's eternal blue domain like a true Aryan.

Tyfani
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Buried, but not at a cemetery... I want to become ground and not being removed from it after 3 years (as it is usually done in the cemeteries of my country)
So... Buried...In some kind of forest... And I would take with me a paper writing i hide my tressure at the secrest place... And then have fun from hell looking at people searching for it :p

Philo
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Frozen. LOL

Onur
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Actually i don't care much because i would be dead anyway.

Tough, i would prefer to be buried because this is how it happens in nature. If i would be buried, then my body would contribute to the natural organisms by enriching the soil. Ofc they can do that after taking out my useful body parts. Then my body would be useful for the humans as well as the plants and indirectly for the animals

SkyBurn
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Donated to science. If there's not much to donate, then I want to be buried.

I like the idea of returning to the earth

AlexandraD
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
well, im an organ donor :P so i guess when theyre done... doing their stuff i will be buried i suppose?

i was thinking of donating my body to science, i mean it is my area of study so it kinda sounds cool to give back you know? (my mom is doing this and she keeps trying to get everyone else too, i dont know why its kinda weird :$ ) but ive seen some videos where the students do mean stuff to the dead bodies :( so maybe when i turn 80 and am all old and wrinkled i'll tick off the box to donate to science... my body wont be fun THEN :P

Žołnir
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
LOL i am not in a hurry about that. :tongue

bella1407
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
buried .

Tyfani
01-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Actually i don't care much because i would be dead anyway.

Tough, i would prefer to be buried because this is how it happens in nature. If i would be buried, then my body would contribute to the natural organisms by enriching the soil. Ofc they can do that after taking out my useful body parts. Then my body would be useful for the humans as well as the plants and indirectly for the animals

couldn't aggree more ;)

Smaug
01-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Whatever, I wont be here to see it.

Tyfani
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Whatever, I wont be here to see it.

Yes, but you don't care about what your family and friends will have to endure in each case? I mean if you are buried and then taken out, it won't be great for them to see the half body of their beloved person...
(am I too creepy?)

Hurrem sultana
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
the ancient tradition of my people was cremation,then christianity came amd then islam,so cremation is long forgotten

Mraz
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Buried, I'm not a fucking Hindu :mad:

Siberian Cold Breeze
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't want to be buried into a marble necropolis

I want my remains to be left into a forest into a tree trunk or small cave ...where i will feel I am home finally.But it doesn't seem likely to happen so any village cemetary in a remote mountain would do.

When a body is cremated it won't be a part of circle ,would turn into useless ash and be wasted,also would consume additional energy for burning process .I don't want it.

Kazimiera
01-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I must be cremated and thrown into the sea or a forest. As long as what is left of me is gone. I don't want to be kept in an urn. I will live on as a memory in the minds of those who know me, and once they die the memory of me will die too. And the world will go on as if I never existed. Nobody will have known of my birth, life or death.

Smaug
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Yes, but you don't care about what your family and friends will have to endure in each case? I mean if you are buried and then taken out, it won't be great for them to see the half body of their beloved person...
(am I too creepy?)

No... You are utterly right... How could I be selfish?

I'd rather be cremated. Come on, we don't have infinit space in cities to bury everybody, and as a Civil Engineer I can say it piss us off, because once a cemetary is built, you can't touch it for decades.

Tyfani
01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
No... You are utterly right... How could I be selfish?

I'd rather be cremated. Come on, we don't have infinit space in cities to bury everybody, and as a Civil Engineer I can say it piss us off, because once a cemetary is built, you can't touch it for decades.

I know << Mechanic engineer
:confused:
I understand why you cannot destroy a cemetery but the "business" arround it is lame. Burying people, taking them off in 3 years and then put them again in the ground untill there are only bones left, and then out again....
Being cremated is a simple and realizable choice... Although I still prefer the way of being buried in an isolated forest :p
Ups there are no isolated forests :picard1:

Absinthe
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
I understand why you cannot destroy a cemetery but the "business" arround it is lame. Burying people, taking them off in 3 years and then put them again in the ground untill there are only bones left, and then out again....

I find this process of exhumation to be disgusting and, well...disgusting. You can't even die in peace these days. The cemeteries are so full that every 3 years they need to exhume you and then your family has to deal with the sight of your half-rotten body and the stress of what to do with it.... and on top of that they need to pay shitloads of money for renting the grave, gravestones, attendance of the grave, priests, etc... Such a disgusting and dehumanizing industry.

That is why I voted for cremation. I would want to save my family from all this misery and cost. If my family owned some land somewhere I would prefer to be buried there quite informally and left forever. But unfortunately they don't; hence the dependence on urban funerary customs.

Jackson
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Practicality tells me i should be cremated, that's probably what would happen.

Although i do want to be buried on the off-chance that someone will dig me up in a few centuries. :D

Pallantides
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
I want a tomb, with traps and a hidden treasure...

Actually I don't really care that much about what happens to me after I'm dead.

Rouxinol
01-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Mummified.

Slycooper
01-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Frozen. You never know

chestneym
02-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Cremated. I'd take up less space and cost my family less money.

Jackson
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Cremated. I'd take up less space and cost my family less money.

It's interesting - In the past (more ancient past) cremation burials were the more expensive, more glamorous funerals. The full set up for the funeral and the event itself would be far more significant than inhumations which required less work and were less dramatic. Things have changed completely of course, especially now you can do it efficiently and cheaply.

Aredhel
02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Cremated, the cemeteries are overpopulated

Pontios
02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Of course buried. Cremation is against Orthodoxy. It is a huge sin to the person if he did it willingly. I would rather have animals eat me rather than being cremated.

larali
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Cremated

Nihtgenga
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Inhumation for me while my wife desires cremation. If she dies before me I will honor her wishes but I will have her urn buried.

Acquisitor
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
being buried and decomposing sounds a bit sad, cremation sounds more interesting, but what I would really like is to have skyburial ;)

let the birds eat me and use my meat to feed their hatchlings

skyburial:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Vulture.jpg

rhiannon
02-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Placed in a cryogenic suspended animation:tongue_002: