PDA

View Full Version : How should children be encouraged to deal with bullies?

Sikeliot
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
1) Go to an authority figure, and if they don't do anything, go to a higher-up (school board, police, etc.) until something IS done about it.

2) Fight back.

3) Tell someone and then if nothing changes, take matters into your own hands.

In middle school I wasn't "bullied" per se, but people did make snide comments in the hallways, warn me to stay out of their way, etc. About halfway through high school I started being more outspoken and essentially, someone who was assertive enough that people wouldn't think twice about causing confrontations (and I have a very sharp tongue, and am unafraid to yell when needed). So luckily, I never had to make the decision of how to handle bullying.

I understand the idea of "fight back and they will know they can't make you a victim", but in most instances, I believe that the person being picked on would not be capable of doing so, in which case they'd be better off telling a teacher.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
if the kid is actually able to beat the shit out of the bully... then sure,if not then tell teacher or anything but don't stay put.... make those asses pay :D

i saw a nice video where the bully get's lifted of the ground and smashed down... and his leg broken in many pieces ....not that was a pretty site to see,since he was clearly abusing the kid :/

Sikeliot
07-03-2012, 06:44 PM
if the kid is actually able to beat the shit out of the bully... then sure,if not then tell teacher or anything but don't stay put.... make those asses pay :D

The problem is that most of the time, this is not the case. Hence why that person is targeted in the first place.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 06:49 PM
The problem is that most of the time, this is not the case. Hence why that person is targeted in the first place.

nope... most of the time the kid is to shy or scared to actually punch the bully... usually the quiet kids and the ones that don't actually make trouble are targeted... that's why i tell you about the video... i'll try to find it and show it to you.the bully was LOT weaker than the other kid... but that kid let the bully molest him with months :/

Tony
07-03-2012, 06:49 PM
In middle school I wasn't "bullied" per se, but people did make snide comments in the hallways, warn me to stay out of their way, etc.

Did you introduce yourself to them as Clementina back then?
maybe this could explain somethin...
:p

Sikeliot
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Did you introduce yourself to them as Clementina back then?
maybe this could explain somethin...
:p

No, but I was, and still am, loud and confident enough that people would not perceive me as a target.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
LUhWH79ph1A

here you go :thumb001:

Sikeliot
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
LUhWH79ph1A

here you go :thumb001:

The bully is some scrawny kid and he's picking on a kid three times his size. I've seen that before.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 06:54 PM
yup... the bullies are not always big masculine boys ....

Sikeliot
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
yup... the bullies are not always big masculine boys ....

See, my experiences have always been witnessing buff jock type guys picking on scrawny nerds. :lol:

Kazimiera
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I was bullied when I was at school.

They said I was fat and ugly, had a big nose and was weird because English wasn't my home language. At break time when all the other kids were swapping sandwiches, nobody wanted to swop with me because I always had rye bread with pork fat (Griebenschmalz) which my grandmother insisted on making for me because according to her it was healthy and people during the war would have killed for this . I don't think she realised that the war was over and that I would have killed NOT to have it on my sandwich :(

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/0988.jpg

My defense against this was making a huge effort at learning English as well as I could, and increasing my vocabulary. I was never hit per se but was often taunted for being different. I tried really hard to fit in because it was important to me.

Flintlocke
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Just fight back and stand your ground.

Mraz
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Beat the shit out of him for good is the only way to have peace.

Edelmann
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Either 2 or 3. But even if they can't fight back successfully, they should be encouraged to try.

Flintlocke
07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
When I was in primary school another aggressive boy was bumping on me trying to provoke a fight, we were always ready to fight but no one really took the first step so we never fought. Then the next year I was beating a fat kid, not a nerdy kid but a bully fat kid, and all his friends arrived soon and had me against the wall, so I just took an alpha posture, slightly smiling and said nothing. They were confused by this and just left.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
See, my experiences have always been witnessing buff jock type guys picking on scrawny nerds. :lol:

Hahaha then your big brother or the principle can solve all that...my point is never to back down and let him munch you :cool:

Linet
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
The only answer to bullies :Pruegelknabe: is Fight back...:aufsmaul_2:

Corvus
07-03-2012, 07:32 PM
The only answer to bullies :Pruegelknabe: is Fight back...:aufsmaul_2:

You read my mind. I just wanted to write the same.
It takes courage but it is the only measure which helps in the long run.
You have to build up a reputation.

Quorra
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
The best way is for them to ignore it.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Tried that didnt work.....broke his teeth and it worked perfectly....
Ignoring won't help at all...if you can bust a hole is his mouth...if not ask anyone to help... Else he will pick on you always....that ass need to learn not to cover up his own gay nature with beating up the one who he thinks won't defend himself :)

Corvus
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM

You can`t ignor someone who attacks you.
The Roman Legions had to counterstrike when the Vandals and Goths entered their territory and so had the Austrian-Hungarian Empire when Napoleon tried to conquer their land.
Same with the Soviets when Hitler declared the peace treaty unvalid.

So there is one basic rule: You have to give agitators the taste of their own medicine.

Flintlocke
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Men fight violently for hierarchy and power, young boys (and girls) do the same in their youth as practice, the same way a pup likes to bite to strengthen its teeth.

Quorra
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
The Roman Legions had to counterstrike when the Vandals and Goths entered their territory and so had the Austrian-Hungarian Empire when Napoleon tried to conquer their land.

So there is one basic rule: You have to give agitators the taste of their own medicine.

That's ridiculous. This has nothing to do with ancient barbarians.

If you start bullying back it'll only get worse. Or at least tell your parents so they can talk to the teacher.

Arcaius
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Yeah and when the bully comes with the Nazi army,make sure to call the allies for support :).... But anywaywe got the meaning o the comparison :P :thumbs up

Corvus
07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
That's ridiculous. This has nothing to do with ancient barbarians.

If you start bullying back it'll only get worse. Or at least tell your parents so they can talk to the teacher.

I think you did not get my point.
When you are verbally attacked you have to srike back with words, when you are physically attacked you have to strike back with physical force.
That`s what evolution taught us and what is essential to survice in a harsh and brutal environment, which is sadly the current state of our society.

The worst thing a child can do is to refer to parents or another authority.
The situation will only deteriorate in the long run.

Quorra
07-03-2012, 07:59 PM
yeah! how did the Vandals and Goths end up being the bully. The romans were the bully.

Corvus
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
yeah! how did the Vandals and Goths end up being the bully. The romans were the bully.

However it was just a metaphor :D

Quorra
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I think you did not get my point.
When you are verbally attacked you have to srike back with words, when you are physically attacked you have to strike back with physical force.
That`s what evolution taught us and what is essential to survice in a harsh and brutal environment, which is sadly the current state of our society.

The worst thing a child can do is to refer to parents or another authority.
The situation will only deteriorate in the long run.

If a child fights back they might get hurt ir make it worse. They should tell a teacher.

Linet
07-03-2012, 08:19 PM
If the child doesnt fight back :fencing: , he will be considered and easy target :chicken: and the teacher can only help at school and punish the bully.....
Then the bully will be even more angry :icon_arghhh: and he will wait :aufsmaul_2: the kid :propeller:after school and.....:speechless-smiley-0

Bobcat Fraser
07-06-2012, 03:37 AM
I was bullied a few times in school. The bullies wrongly assumed that I was an easy target because I was peaceful and quiet. I tried to avoid violence, but they forced me to respond in kind. That put an end to their attacks. Sadly, some boys and girls can't defend themselves. That's when the authorities should protect them. I sometimes felt the urge to bully the bullies, but two wrongs don't make a right. It's cowardly to pick on the weak.

rhiannon
07-06-2012, 06:46 AM
I was bullied all through junior high. I got into fights that were not caused by me....but by the bullies that would corner me and I'd have no choice. In all but one case...I lost the fights for not fighting back the way I should have. This facilitated further bullying and stalking, and as a result, I lived in fear for much of that time. I finally fought back on the last instance....and I won that fight.

This happened for 5 years in a row....and it seriously fucked me up in many, many ways. My family never backed me up and never took me seriously when it was happening:mad:

As a grown up....I don't take shit from anyone because of it. There is no fucking way in hell I will ever go back to the meek young girl I once was.

Thus:

Consider telling the proper authorities above all....and then:

If the situation involves my child....my child will have my full support to fight back with whatever means necessary, but with one caveat:

They are NEVER EVER to throw the first punch. I don't condone starting fights.....merely finishing them.

If weapons were to become involved (my child will not be allowed to have them of course), the police will be brought into it.

If my child gets suspended from school....the principal will have me to deal with.

Quorra
07-06-2012, 06:57 AM
It's like an American TV show. We don't really have it like that here. I suppose maybe in some areas.