PDA

View Full Version : BBC Chronicles of Narnia!

Jarl
06-15-2009, 12:42 AM
A link to a good old Narnia series made in England in the late 80s, based on my favourite piece of English literature. Some magnanimous, pagan, Swedish lady, nicknamed HeathenMaiden, posted the whole series under: BBC Chronicles of Narnia. There's "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe", "Prince Caspian", the magnificent "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and "The Silver Chair"...

To some, particularly the youngest members, it might appear slightly cheese, but trust me - it was a series with an atmosphere at that time. I prefer that to the latest Narnia movies.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=BBC+Chronicles+of+Narnia&aq=f

This book and series made my childhood. My very special thanks to that Stockholm lady... ;)

P.S.

She's got also fragments of some Swedish series, which, unfrotunately, I cannot understand tough they look pretty good too.

Tabiti
06-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I hardly watched the "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" new movie. Seems the whole story is not for me;)

Psychonaut
06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I own all of these! My grandmother bought them for me on VHS years ago. I watched the Hell out of them and the animated version of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. :thumb001:

SwordoftheVistula
06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
The new 'Dawn Treader' is scheduled for release in December 2010 :thumb001:

Jarl
06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
What really interests me is whether they will ever dare to make "The Horse and His Boy" and "The Last Battle" movies???

C.S. Lewis was accused of racism:

In addition to sexism, Pullman also accused the Narnia series of fostering racism,[29][34] alleging that for Lewis:

Death is better than life; boys are better than girls; light-coloured people are better than dark-coloured people; and so on. There is no shortage of such nauseating drivel in Narnia, if you can face it.[30]

About alleged racism in The Horse and His Boy specifically, newspaper editor Kyrie O'Connor writes:

It's just too dreadful. While the book's storytelling virtues are enormous, you don't have to be a bluestocking of political correctness to find some of this fantasy anti-Arab, or anti-Eastern, or anti-Ottoman. With all its stereotypes, mostly played for belly laughs, there are moments you'd like to stuff this story back into its closet.[35]

The racism critique is based on a negative representation of other races, particularly the Calormenes. Novelist Philip Hensher and other critics regard the portrayal of Calormene culture as an attack on Islam.[36] Although the portrait of the Calormenes is coloured by European perceptions of Ottoman culture, the Calormene religion as portrayed by Lewis is polytheistic and bears little resemblance to Islam. Moreover, several Calormenes, notably Aravis in A Horse and his Boy, are portrayed favourably as brave and noble individuals.

It will be difficult to portray the expansive, Arab-like Calormenes, who invade and take over Narnia, in a politically correct way. One cannot just avoid comparisons with the modern situation and immigration in Europe. And indeed, in certain fragments, the chronicles are quite racial. Lewis emphasises the distinctly European-like, Northern character of Narnia and the fair looks of the Narnians... Similarly, the lustful and quite racial obsession of the Calormene prince, Rabadash, with queen Susan is extremely un-PC... yet again, one just can't get rid of the impression that it does capture some truth about the interracial and intercultural fetishes of certain modern immigrants.

The BBC did not dare, and stopped at "Silver Chair" ;)

YggsVinr
06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you so much! I used to watch this all the time when I was a little kid. My mother would rent them for me when I stayed home sick from school! This brings back memories.

RenaRyuguu
07-29-2019, 11:25 PM
Prince Caspias was Bulgarian...you know I always liked him more than the others

Kanasubigi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanasubigi