View Full Version : IQ Map of the World

Atlas
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
IQ and the Wealth of nations

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3540/iqbycountryjn0.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations

Brännvin
06-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Its interesting to see from this map that high IQ corresponds to places with older and higher rates of population density. The only exceptions being Sweden and New Zealand.

Groenewolf
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Its interesting to see from this map that high IQ corresponds to places with older and higher rates of population density. The only exceptions being Sweden and New Zealand.

That could be explained easly. If a population have a higher general IQ in the past that would lead to faster development of production of food and others nessities and medicine. This in turn lead to a stronger population growth. That would in time go seek work in the cities, because they are no longer needed on the fields. This frees up people of other kind of work, including intelectual work. Wich in turn lead to better faccillities for that kind of work, wich atracts high-IQ people from other regions.

Vargtand
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I find it hard to believe that china with its large population of farmers have any accuracy in a survey such as this...

Groenewolf
06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I find it hard to believe that china with its large population of farmers have any accuracy in a survey such as this...

Most of the testing for China was probaly done in the cities. So the number could be lower for China.

Angantyr
06-17-2009, 12:59 PM

What about the Indian subcontinent, which has a very old and high population densiy, and yet sits in the lower portion?

I think the most telling fact is that sub-Saharan Africa uncontestedly occupies the very bottom.

Loki
06-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the most telling fact is that sub-Saharan Africa uncontestedly occupies the very bottom.

I wonder how much of that has to do with nutrition, though.

Groenewolf
06-17-2009, 01:11 PM

From the top of my head research done in relation with black childeren adopted by white parents showed that trend towards the IQ of their parents. Of course nutirition could explain the gap between blacks living in sub-Sahara Africa and Afro-Americans. For a part at least.

Eldritch
06-17-2009, 03:15 PM

It surely at least plays a part, since American blacks are, very roughly approximate 15 points higher in IQ. Unfortunately I can't find the source for this, and it is of course a very coarse estimate.

Tabiti
06-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I think that the results of China aren't very reliable, since the kind of totalitarian state rule that can always manipulate all researches and the areas they are led.
You can't convince me that 1 billion of Chinese have IQ over the European average...

Psychonaut
06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I think that the results of China aren't very reliable, since the kind of totalitarian state rule that can always manipulate all researches and the areas they are led.
You can't convince me that 1 billion of Chinese have IQ over the European average...

I doubt anyone would accept data from the PRC. No doubt, these scores were collected independently. East Asians, in whatever nation they reside, do tend to score higher on IQ tests than any other ethnic group. Anyone who's been to a college in either the US or Canada can attest that a large percentage of the number of math and science professors is usually Chinese.

RoyBatty
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
It surely at least plays a part, since American blacks are, very roughly approximate 15 points higher in IQ. Unfortunately I can't find the source for this, and it is of course a very coarse estimate.

I'm convinced that South African blacks are 15 points lower than their "cousins" from Central and Western Africa. We sometimes referred to them as "robots" in SA. :D

Brännvin
06-17-2009, 07:43 PM
They were able to build great civilizations at the past, and are to a step become the largest global economy..

More worryingly, China holds the most US Treasuries in the world and has the power to economically cripple the United States and the Western financial system.

Lahtari
06-17-2009, 08:16 PM

It is worth noticing that North-American blacks are a racial/social group that can include even half-whites. I don't remember how much white blood they have on average, maybe 15-30%?

Vargtand
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I doubt anyone would accept data from the PRC. No doubt, these scores were collected independently. East Asians, in whatever nation they reside, do tend to score higher on IQ tests than any other ethnic group. Anyone who's been to a college in either the US or Canada can attest that a large percentage of the number of math and science professors is usually Chinese.

Well consider how many they are? I am sure if you break down in percentage there are by far a higher percentage of let say Swedish math professors than there are Chinese math professors... thought that is just an assumption.

Óttar
06-18-2009, 12:51 AM
What about the Indian subcontinent, which has a very old and high population densiy, and yet sits in the lower portion?

India's pop. is younger than China. They have a large and vibrant youth sector.

Brännvin
06-18-2009, 01:28 AM
That could be explained easly. If a population have a higher general IQ in the past that would lead to faster development of production of food and others nessities and medicine. This in turn lead to a stronger population growth. That would in time go seek work in the cities, because they are no longer needed on the fields. This frees up people of other kind of work, including intelectual work. Wich in turn lead to better faccillities for that kind of work, wich atracts high-IQ people from other regions.

During the Renaissance there was a correlation I have read about it, Holland and Central Italy. It were the major urban centers rich in development cultural and intellectual of Europe, coincidentally with the largest population concentration.

Tabiti
06-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm not saying East Asians aren't intelligent, but claiming there are regions with low IQ for sure, due to way of life (peasants).
BTW, the Cultural revolution shows that fact.

Treffie
06-18-2009, 08:58 AM

I wonder if the caste system has anything to do with this?

Lahtari
06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I wonder if the caste system has anything to do with this?

Might be true. In the more liberal areas like Europe, the more intelligent (and educated) would have moved to places where their skills have more demand. While India was a very closed system with pre-determined roles.

And as another note, there's also the Flynn effect - the rise of IQ per 3 points/10 years(?) in developed countries - which reasons are unknown.

Atlas
06-18-2009, 03:20 PM
So New Zelanders are cleverer than Australians ?