PDA

View Full Version : British And Irish Roots

Bobcat Fraser
07-07-2012, 04:59 AM
If you have them, from what country and/or region were they? Pick all that apply. List all the ones where you can find ancestors. Feel free to mention places if you wish to reply with more details.

Smaug
07-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Well, I have British ancestors. This is not very common in Brazil, we don't have a big British community here, and the few Brits are concentrated here in São Paulo, I can count in the fingers of my two hands all the Brits that I know here, and they descend mostly from English and Irish. One thing good at least, is that here in São Paulo we have plenty of Pubs.

Well, my ancestors were mostly from Aberdeen, Scotland, but I also have ancestors that came from York and Lancaster, in Northern England.

Stefan
07-07-2012, 05:10 AM
All my English ancestors that I know of have come from the town of Heanor in the Derbyshire county in the East Midlands of England. They came to Tamaqua, Pennsylvania in the mid-19th Century and that line mostly worked as masons, although my Great-Great Grandfather was the sheriff of Tamaqua at one point if what my mother says is correct. His parents would have been the immigrants from England. That's all the ancestry from Britain I know of, although I wouldn't doubt I have some distant old stock English, Scottish, or some other ancestry mixed with my German ancestors, but I haven't found any.

Graham
07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, I have British ancestors. This is not very common in Brazil, we don't have a big British community here, and the few Brits are concentrated here in São Paulo, I can count in the fingers of my two hands all the Brits that I know here, and they descend mostly from English and Irish. One thing good at least, is that here in São Paulo we have plenty of Pubs.

Yes, but at least we introduced football to Brazil. :P

Smaug
07-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Yes, but at least we introduced football to Brazil. :P

Yeah it's true, thanks to Charles Miller, a great British-Brazilian. Other examples of great British-Brazilians are me and myself :rolleyes:
Joking
As I said, we have a community here, but it's small. British-Brazilians are concentrated in the states of São Paulo and in a minor sense, Paraná. There are some festivals and some meetings (that usually happen in PUBs). I always go when I can, my British ancestry is my favourite.
One impact that the British had here in Brazil (in my state at least) are the railroads they built. There are even some villages that were founded by the English responsable for the construction of these roads.

Barreldriver
07-08-2012, 04:54 AM
The list (accounts for about 75% of my ancestry):

Yorkshire (agnatic lineage is from South Yorkshire), Northumberland, Suffolk, Hampshire, Somerset, Devon, Co. Antrim, Donegal, Tyrone, & Cavan.

Suffolk, Hampshire and the general Ulster area account for the bulk in the pedigree.

ETKearne
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
England:

1. Cornwall
2. Devon
3. Hampshire
4. Surrey

Ireland:

1. Derry
2. Various other Northwestern Coastal areas

Scotland:

1. Perthshire
2. Stirlingshire

Graham
06-26-2013, 10:52 PM
1. Perthshire
2. Stirlingshire

Where in Stirlingshire & Surname? sorry that I ask. :)

Stanley
06-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I voted for: East Of England; East Midlands; Greater London; South East England; Scottish Lowlands; Northern Ireland (Ulster Scottish); Connaught, Ireland; Leinster, Ireland; Munster, Ireland. Meant to also pick South West England but missed it somehow. I likely also have ancestry from some of the places I didn't pick and just don't know it.

I am slightly under half Irish (would be exactly half but for one Irish emigrant who had a Scottish father and another who married an Anglo-American). I don't know the origin of a couple of my Irish ancestors but from those I do, my ancestry breaks down as:
12.5% Mayo
6.25% Kilkenny
6.25% Cork
3.125% Tipperary
3.125% Westmeath
3.125% Louth

25% of my ancestry is Colonial American, with all but a few percents of that being of British Isles origin (some German, very minor Dutch). Although I haven't pinpointed exactly where most of it is from, English origins are predominant, particularly from the East of England. A lot of it is Scottish and Scots-Irish, too, however.

Where in Stirlingshire & Surname? sorry that I ask. :)
I know of a couple ancestors I have from Stirling. Surnames Liddell and Smith.

ETKearne
06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
They are from "Dunblane" apparantly. The surnames include: Makenzie (spelled McKenzie in the USA later on), Dawson, Carmicheal, Cairns, Stirling (I wonder if they are related to the founders?), and Wingate. If you take the Stirling surname back to the 1600s, it goes to Edinburgh, with Robert Stirling born there in 1611.

Fear Fiain
06-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I counted some areas I don't have ancestral links to based on the fact that I have relatives who live or have lived there: northwest england (scouser grandmum, ethnically half Irish/ Half Scottish) and Wales in particular...