PDA

View Full Version : No English!

Ivo Arandur
07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I really like Ireland and the Irish language (and Celtic languages in general)...so I found this documentary particularly interesting:

eyll-bBZzyk

This guy travels around Ireland speaking only in Irish...

Hilda
07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I wanna know an Irish language.
It's sad that Irishes don't use an Irish language. :/

morski
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I wanna know an Irish language.
It's sad that Irishes don't use an Irish language. :/

Those silly Irishes... :rolleyes:

:D

Hilda
07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Those silly Irishes... :rolleyes:

Nah I am a Dutch lol

Josey Wales
10-05-2014, 09:52 AM
They should do that more often there

thedocoz123
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Irish is probably the most difficult European language because it is not related to Germanic, Romance or Slavic languages.. I learned Irish in both primary and secondary education yet I can only speak it and not write.

revealman
01-27-2015, 06:50 AM
my mother and her best friend are both slovakians and both learned a good piece of gaelic from dictionaries.. we have lot of friends in ireland

my mother learned english also by herself from dictionary cause when she went to school in former czechoslovakia only second language she could learn was russian.. funny thing is most of the irish born friends of my mother cannot speak gaelic and she can not perfectly but the basics of communication in gaelic

i think her talent is in her blood because my hometown bratislava was a celtic settlement before slavs and germans and magyars settled here and she is r1b

The castle on the hill above the Old Town dominates the city of Bratislava. It is featured in the first written reference to the city, which appears in the Annals of Salzburg of 907, in association with a battle between Bavarians and Hungarians. The castle hill was populated as early as the late Stone Age; its first known inhabitants were the Celts, who founded a fortified settlement here called ‘Oppidum’.

it is no coincidence that lot of people in slovakia feel inclined to celtic culture it can be only explained by the blood connection to celts from the past.. there is also every year a celtic festival in bratislava called "beltine"

we have slo similar history you were anglicised by anglosaxons (english) we were hungarised by magyars (hungarians) but at least we are lucky our language survived..

slovakian song which sounds very celtic

we slovakians are also shepherds which live on hills(highlanders slovakian "goral")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8doGVR7QHwg

r1a and r1b brothers forever

revealman
01-27-2015, 07:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhDlYREJyo

Neon Knight
02-01-2015, 12:17 AM
I think all European folk music sounds similar.

LightHouse89
02-01-2015, 12:21 AM
I think all European folk music sounds similar.

What about original American folk music? Its a shame it is almost disappeared thanks to post-modern 'art' [spit]. The youths don't even like listening or dancing to traditional folk music at square dances. They play Negro/rock music instead.

Neon Knight
02-01-2015, 12:27 AM
What about original American folk music? Its a shame it is almost disappeared thanks to post-modern 'art' [spit]. The youths don't even like listening or dancing to traditional folk music at square dances. They play Negro/rock music instead.Really? That's a great pity. But I found a video of English country dancing in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCJ3Za4toA

LightHouse89
02-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Really? That's a great pity. But I found a video of English country dancing in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCJ3Za4toA

Well not English folk dancing but over all the British Islands [including Ireland] introduced a unique American folk tradition. It sort of borrowed from all of them. New England folk music and Southern folk music sound like this but my include more modern instruments.

Graham thought New England folk music sounded close to Scottish folk music and dancing. The truth is all of the British Islands had a tremendous impact on our traditional music. Even our modern country music borrows a lot from it. Sadly modern country music isn't usually that good. But both my Irish side and my dad's Colonial side all listen to traditional American folk music and at family events we have the same dances. I just dislike how on both sides of my family the youth think its stupid or 'redneck' to be proud of who we are. Schools here use to promote our culture but now have stopped to not offend other 'people' or 'Americans':rolleyes:.

revealman
02-03-2015, 02:36 AM
What about original American folk music? Its a shame it is almost disappeared thanks to post-modern 'art' [spit]. The youths don't even like listening or dancing to traditional folk music at square dances. They play Negro/rock music instead.
i am sorry lighthouse but there is no american music all is european import :D..