PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury 'not gay enough'

Beorn
06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
The ancient city of Canterbury has found itself the subject of a complaint from homosexual rights activists for not having a gay bar.

Although it welcomes millions of tourists each year from across the globe, the cathedral city - famed for its association with 14th century Canterbury Tales author Geoffrey Chaucer - has also attracted ire for not having a homosexuals' community centre. :coffee:

The complaint was lodged with the Local Government Ombudsman by the Pride in Canterbury pressure group which also complained about the "stereotypical" depiction of a homosexual character in a play staged at the city's Marlowe theatre. :coffee:

Pride said the Conservative-run city council was not doing its best to attract "pink tourism" – drawing visitors who are homosexual, bisexual or transgender. :coffee:

But the council insisted it had helped the homosexual community by offering money, help and use of its facilities.
Chief executive Colin Carmichael said it had provided Pride in Canterbury with more than £4,000 funding since 2005 to help identify the needs of the homosexual community and promote their concerns.

"The council strongly refutes any suggestion by Pride in Canterbury that we do not want to engage with the gay community and we are very disappointed that they have referred this to the ombudsman," he said.
"Last year we held a gay open day at the council offices which was widely advertised – including in the gay press – well attended by more than 40 people and received very good feedback from those present."
But Pride's Andrew Bretell insisted it had been left with no choice but to make a complaint because letters to the council had failed to get the required response.

Mr Bretell said: "They're more interested in ticking their equality boxes and engaging in back and forth 'who said what' games than they are in dealing with the real issues. We do not believe the council want a thriving LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender) community in our city."
News of the investigation has surprised some locals. Canterbury University student Chloe Breton, 21, added: "It sounds ridiculous to me, some of my male friends are gay and they've definitely got no problem with Canterbury. I really don't think this is the best way to promote the place. It just makes us sound unfriendly and not tolerant – when actually the opposite is true."

The ombudsman is due to rule on the complaint on May 20.

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5320388/Canterbury-not-gay-enough.html)

Loki
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
When I attended an evensong at the cathedral, and saw the bearded priests oogling at the young choir boys, I thought it was gay enough.

Beorn
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
When I attended an evensong at the cathedral, and saw the bearded priests oogling at the young choir boys, I thought it was gay enough.

Did they wish to set up gay bars and openly dress up as cowboys with leather whips in the city centre?

If 'yes', did they get their wishes met or were they told to go back into the closet with all the other sexual perverts?

Loki
06-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Did they wish to set up gay bars and openly dress up as cowboys with leather whips in the city centre?

If 'yes', did they get their wishes met or were they told to go back into the closet with all the other sexual perverts?

Nope, they'd rather prefer to maintain an [albeit false] air of decency I'd assume. ;) Public display of affection is not a very English thing.

Sally
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/309qaro.jpg

Beorn
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Public display of affection is not a very English thing.

Really? How long you been living here, foreigner? O-o

Loki
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Really? How long you been living here, foreigner? O-o

LOL! Well it depends where you go on the Isles, of course. But I'm speaking of the well-bred, posh-sounding varieties. ;)

Beorn
06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Canterbury is sufficiently gay, council inspectors rule (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5629668/Canterbury-is-sufficiently-gay-council-inspectors-rule.html)

A government watchdog decided that Canterbury in Kent does enough to promote homosexual culture, rejecting a complaint by local activists.

The Local Government Ombudsman – who asked for the city's council to provide evidence of how it supported the gay community – said it was satisfied the pink pound was being catered for.

As part of the investigation, the council had to prove its inclusiveness by giving details of "touring plays and musicals, for example, which would be of interest to the LGBT community".
And it had to show that it had "put forward suggestions for small events that it might help fund, as well as proposals for other events such as exhibitions".

Rob Davies, spokesman for the council, said: "Obviously we're delighted with the outcome of the investigation.
"We feel we do a great deal for the gay community in Canterbury and we have always tried to support various gay events and promotions."
"But at the same time it is not the duty of any council to set up a gay bar – that's not what councils do."
The two-month investigation began at the end of April after a letter was sent from two representatives of Pride in Canterbury.
Chairman Andrew Brettell lodged a formal complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman claiming his initial letter to the council in November fell on deaf ears.

Mr Brettell, in his 60s, said last month: "" We do not believe the council want a thriving LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community in our city. The impression I get is that the council just doesn't want to know.
"I get the feeling it is precious because Canterbury has a cathedral and history. I think they think the gay community will turn it into Sodom and Gomorrah."

This world is officially sick in the head and heading to hell in a handbasket.

How many thousands of pounds were spent trying to ascertain whether an obscure and mentally deficient community were being sufficiently catered towards?

We have thousands of people living rough, losing houses, possessions, dying of curable diseases, and some prick has been paid to actually discern the "gayness" of an English town.

"Yeah! Let's just throw money out of the window! Hey you boy! Do you like sweets? You do? Well here's a million pounds, now go buy sweets and get fat!"

Fortis in Arduis
06-26-2009, 02:34 PM
This is very old news.

The Tories will slough a lot of the waste of public money and are already discussing major reform of the welfare system.

Catuvellaunian
07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I live in Canterbury and know many people who live there (and I mean many), not one of whom is gay, so I can't see the point in a gay bar nor anything else. I personally love the ancient city the way it is and frankly it has enough ugly modern buildings as it is, without having one of those monstrocities built (or worse coverted from one of the old buildings).

As far as I can tell teal gay people don't go around demanding that their "needs" are accomodated, they just don't care. If these people want acceptance they why segregate themselves like that?