PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray, Scotland & Daily Mail

Graham
07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
A reaction to Scottish resentment: Why English support for Andy Murray was not all it might have been
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2170898/Wimbledon-2012-Why-English-support-Andy-Murray-been.html
By Nigel Jones
PUBLISHED:13:22, 9 July 2012 | UPDATED:14:01, 9 July 2012

Though no tennis fan, Andy Murray's gallant attempt to oust Wimbledon's king Roger Federer from his throne has prompted me to ponder weighty matters that go far beyond sport into history, patriotism, and the ancient ethnic loves and hatreds uniting - but more often dividing - England and Scotland.

In the wake of Murray's defeat, some Scots have voiced well-grounded dark suspicions that the loyalty of many English tennis enthusiasts to Andy, the first Briton to reach the Men's final since 'Bunny' Austin in 1938, was at best lukewarm. Indeed a good few English fans - judging by their Twitter and Facebook remarks - went so far as supporting his triumphant Swiss opponent. So why should this be so?

It is clearly not Murray's less bankable personal characteristics that are at the root of the problem. He is - or was until yesterday - the personification of the Scottish stereotype of dourness that caused PG Wodehouse to famously remark that 'It is never difficult to distinguish between a ray of sunshine and a Scotsman with a grievance'.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/09/article-2170898-13FB0E5B000005DC-282_468x303.jpg

Many - perhaps most - other male tennis stars of various nationalities display the same traits of moodiness, irascibility, dullness and general all-round ill humour without it adversely affecting their popularity. And Murray's tear-choked post-match speech on court showed that even this stony-faced maestro of misery is capable of raw human emotion when the occasion demands it.

No, Murray's problem with the public is not personal - it is political. Or to put it even more rawly, it is ethnic. He is a proud and patriotic Scot, and as such is, ipso facto, an enemy of England, the dominant nation within the increasingly fractious family that make up the British Isles. Leave aside Murray's reported support for the bitterly anti-English SNP (not the least enjoyable aspect of Sunday's final was to see the usual smug smile wiped off Alex Salmond's fat features) and you are still left with a man who, to many English, is simply not one of us. Despite the plethora of Union Flags at Wimbledon, when we think of Andy Murray it is not that symbol of Britishness that first springs to mind - but the separatist saltire of St Andrew.

Human beings are tribal by nature, and despite the artificial Union foisted on England and Scotland by their ruling elites under Scotland's Stuart dynasty in 1603 ( when James I and VI succeeded Queen Elizabeth I); and a century later in 1707 when the reluctant nations were forced up the aisle in the shotgun wedding that was the Act of Union, the English and Scots remain two divided tribes.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/09/article-2170898-13FB675B000005DC-458_468x359.jpg

Common - largely commercial - interests, kept the Union show on the road for three centuries as the British Empire rose, ruled, and finally fell. Scottish imperialists were among the most enthusiastic empire builders, provided several Prime Ministers to preside over the Imperial project, and Scottish soldiers and sailors fought alongside their English counterparts in two world wars and countless lesser conflicts.

For their part, the English evinced a sentimental adoration for all things Scottish, from whisky to Scottish shortbread biscuits, and from bagpipe music to Andy Murray's beloved porridge, culminating with our current ruling House and their enthusiasm for holidaying in the rainy, midge-infested Highlands.

This was always, however, a one way street. There was never a corresponding cult of Englishness in Scotland. The default position of most Scots towards their southern neighbours was one of sullen resentment, interspersed with increasingly frequent spasms of active loathing.

And after the Empire faded into the mists of history, there seemed less and less reason to keep a union, which had always been a marriage of convenience rather than one founded on love, out of the divorce courts.

Despite or because of the manifest advantages to the Scots of having their limping economy subsidised by the hated Sassenachs; despite or because of the one-sided gift of devolution - allowing Scots at Westminster to determine the destiny of England while denying the same say in Scotland's affairs to the English - Scottish demands for separation under the skilled direction of Alex Salmond have grown and grown.

Now, unsurprisingly, they have at last encountered an English backlash. This can be seen, not only in the scarcely veiled glee with which many English people greeted the victory of Roger Federer; but also in the fact that support for outright Scottish independence in the run-up to the referendum on the subject, is currently stronger south of the border, than it is in Salmond's native heather, where the pro-Union cause has a 20% lead in the polls as more canny Scots calculate the real cost of abandoning a union that, when all is said and done, has profited them rather well.

As the Scots are belatedly discovering, sullen resentment works both ways, and as they contemplate the increasingly dubious benefits of such a loveless union, it is the English who are discovering the joys of nurturing a sense of righteous grievance

Graham
07-11-2012, 12:44 PM
We never write like this about our good neighbours.

It's also funny to note how Unionist the Scottish Daily Mail is compared to the English version.

I doubt Murray even votes SNP, isn't even registered to vote in Scotland.

Graham
07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Stick Nigel Jones' heid on a pole fucking on Arthurs Seat. Grrrrr now to calm down.

Pretan
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Nigel Jones is just shit stirring, best to ignore such articles.
Andy Murray was supported with enthusiasm here.

Graham
07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Nigel Jones is just shit stirring, best to ignore such articles.
Andy Murray was supported with enthusiasm here.

I know that :). It's that paper. It's just that it vehemently supports the union up here. Lies & corrupts minds. Wont have a bad word on it.

Whereas it's two facing us.

I know English people can love this place. That's why so many live here and are my friends and family.

The thing is we're the most alike in a lot of ways. :)

Jedthehumanoid
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Why so Anti- Scottish once again. It's not healthy to lie and slander. Especially with two Scots stabbed this week in England. One dead.

We never write like this about our good neighbours.

It's also funny to note how Unionist the Scottish Daily Mail is compared to the English version.

I doubt Murray even votes SNP, isn't even registered to vote in Scotland.

More bollocks from the Daily Mail Graham.....the English honestly snear at the very mention of the rag. If it's of any comfort to you the general and almost unanimous feeling towards Andy Murray is sympathetic after the tears and defeat. The problem here is that petulance is associated with him. I don't know whether that's fair or not. You also have to take into account that Federer is one of the most charming men ever to set foot in Wimbledon.

As for the crap political jibes well we both know that the tail wags the dog. I'm not sure whether it's good or not to have an English Prime Minister after the last two being Scots but come on, Education, the Health Service....I have no influence in Scotland unlike your vote.

On a different note I truly like Alex Salmond and think that he's a very effective politician which is something you'd see little of south of the border.

Jedthehumanoid
07-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Just thought I'd let you see this post and response on an English websire Graham which is fairly representative....the response, not the hater who was very much in the minority.

"Wipe the floor with this personality devoid English hating curly haired wanker

Knob. Don't for one minute suppose you watched the game and post match interview when he showed a considerable amount of emotion, thought and even described himself as British. Fact is that he IS Scottish - its where he was born"

Fortis in Arduis
07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
This was always, however, a one way street. There was never a corresponding cult of Englishness in Scotland. The default position of most Scots towards their southern neighbours was one of sullen resentment, interspersed with increasingly frequent spasms of active loathing.

Is this true? :eek:

On the Daily Mail:

They will pander to Unionists north of the border, and will have to reflect some anti-unionist sentiment in England in order to sell copy.

Despite its faults, the Mail is still the most nationally-owned national newspaper, and that is why I still read it, despite the disappointing content. For readers like myself, it is the best of a bad bunch.

Jedthehumanoid
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Is this true? :eek:

I think we need to ask Graham ;)

Graham
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I think we need to ask Graham ;)
:p Iz it cuz I iz Scotch, o'ight. Norf side iz da best.

Fortis did live in Scotland, Leith & Aberdeen from what I can remember.

Personally I blame this on those Southern Faeries.