PDA

View Full Version : Quarter of men in South Africa admit rape, survey finds

Atlas
06-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/17/south-africa-rape-survey)

Quarter of men in South Africa admit rape, survey finds

• Research exposes culture of sexual violence
• Government criticised for 'woeful' conviction rate

One in four men in South Africa have admitted to rape and many confess to attacking more than one victim, according to a study that exposes the country's endemic culture of sexual violence.

Three out of four rapists first attacked while still in their teens, the study found. One in 20 men said they had raped a woman or girl in the last year.

South Africa is notorious for having one of the highest levels of rape in the world. Only a fraction are reported, and only a fraction of those lead to a conviction.

The study into rape and HIV, by the country's Medical Research Council (MRC), asked men to tap their answers into a Palm Pilot device to guarantee anonymity. The method appears to have produced some unusually frank responses.

Professor Rachel Jewkes of the MRC, who carried out the research, said: "We have a very, very high prevalence of rape in South Africa. I think it is down to ideas about masculinity based on gender hierarchy and the sexual entitlement of men. It's rooted in an African ideal of manhood."

Jewkes and her colleagues interviewed a representative sample of 1,738 men in South Africa's Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.

Of those surveyed, 28% said they had raped a woman or girl, and 3% said they had raped a man or boy. Almost half who said they had carried out a rape admitted they had done so more than once, with 73% saying they had carried out their first assault before the age of 20.

The study, which had British funding, also found that men who are physically violent towards women are twice as likely to be HIV-positive. They are also more likely to pay for sex and to not use condoms.

Any woman raped by a man over the age of 25 has a one in four chance of her attacker being HIV-positive.

One in 10 men said they had been forced to have sex with another man. Many find it difficult to report such attacks to the police in subcultures where the concept of homosexuality is taboo.

South Africa's government has been repeatedly criticised for failing to address the crisis. Only 7% of reported rapes are estimated to lead to a conviction. Jewkes said: "There's been a lot of concern about the way the criminal justice system works, because it's still woeful."

Before his election as president, Jacob Zuma stood trial for the rape of a family friend. His supporters demonstrated at the court house, verbally attacked his accuser and sang "burn the bitch, burn the bitch". Zuma was eventually acquitted.

Jewkes added: "The social space for debating these gender issues is now smaller than it was a few years ago. We need our government to show political leadership in changing attitudes. We need South African men, from the top to the grassroots, to take responsibility."

Anti-rape campaigners said the shocking figures demonstrated the need for reform. Dean Peacock, co-director of the Sonke Gender Justice project, said: "We need to make sure the criminal justice system is held to account. We have lots of discussion in this country, but not enough action is taken to ensure that perpetrators will face consequences."

Zuma, a polygamist, was criticised for emphasising his Zulu tribal identity and singing militant songs during this year's election campaign. He made comments that outraged anti-Aids and gender campaigners.

Peacock added: "We're at a complicated moment in South African history with revived traditionalism and there's a danger of gender transformation being lost.

"We hear men saying, 'If Jacob Zuma can have many wives, I can have many girlfriends.' The hyper-masculine rhetoric of the Zuma campaign is going to set back our work in challenging the old model of masculinity."

Carrie Shelver, an activist with People Opposing Women Abuse, said: "Generally there's a deficit of understanding and commitment to women's rights by the leadership of this country. It's simply not on people's agenda."

A report published by the trade union Solidarity earlier this month said that one child is raped in South Africa every three minutes, with 88% of rapes going unreported. It found that levels of child abuse in South Africa are increasing rapidly.

The Lawspeaker
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I think that only few of the perpetrators are of European stock..

Eldritch
06-18-2009, 06:19 PM

I think it's safe to say that we know it.

Female football fans, don't forget your chastity belts at home. :rolleyes:

RoyBatty
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM

The "European stock" SA's commit rape & other crimes at comparable levels to that found in the (for now) "European" parts of Europe, the US, Canada etc.

The 25% statistic obviously applies to darkies.

Last time I checked HIV prevalence amongst them was also around the 20 - 25% mark.

Tabiti
06-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I wish luck to all women who are keen on blacks...

Brännvin
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Perhaps many cases are related to the phenomenon of the myth of the Virgin AIDS cure, http://anthroforum.com/showthread.php?t=12262 , scary, this is a brutality just against children..

Spaniard_Truth
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I wonder why rape is more common in South Africa than other African nations. I'm guessing it actually isn't, but because S. Africa is the most Westernised African country legally, rape is considered more serious and therefore more likely to be reported/considered worth reporting.

Atlas
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Most likely because rapes are so common in other African nations that they are not even reported anymore. Like a dead dog on a road. No date emanate from such places.

Tabiti
06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I wonder why rape is more common in South Africa than other African nations. I'm guessing it actually isn't, but because S. Africa is the most Westernised African country legally, rape is considered more serious and therefore more likely to be reported/considered worth reporting.
Sometimes it is the civilization that spoil primitive tribes.
On the other hand who knows what they made in Savanna or jungles and if they know the real meaning of the word "rape".

RoyBatty
06-18-2009, 10:54 PM

It is probably higher in SA than in any other African country. The same applies to other violent crimestats. In general, violent crime levels in South Africa is probably the highest in the world.

Things in SA got out of hand due to a combination of a crime-tolerant government, corrupt and inefficient Policeforce, corrupt and overworked justice system, an overdeveloped "Human Rights" legal system which prides itself on nurturing and protecting the criminal and vanquishing the victim etc.etc.

In other African countries the local communities tend to "police" themselves and they won't hesitate to administer "street justice" to criminals. In SA this is much less likely to happen. The liberals will go to great lengths to explain that all this is due to the "legacy of Apartheid" :rolleyes: which "traumatised the poor rainbowchildren".

RoyBatty
06-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Sometimes it is the civilization that spoil primitive tribes.
On the other hand who knows what they made in Savanna or jungles and if they know the real meaning of the word "rape".

Exactly, the concept of "rape" has a different meaning to them than it would in most places elsewhere. It's sort of "normal" and certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

We have a saying that you can take the black out of the bush but you can't take the bush out of the black. :D

Lenny
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
The "South-African" blacks were the media's pets for decades on end; "an oppressed people held back by evil men... who, when freed, would become a nation of hardworking entrepreneurs and scientists and would soar past their evil bigoted oppressors easily". (the hyperbole therein is only slight).

When expectations set up by the Western media were not met post-1994, a deep cynicism and depression set in among the Black Mind in RSA and this is the result. They have failed, and rage is the result.

Other black states have never had such high expectations set for them, so they could never fail quite so badly, so they've never sunk this low.

That's the most reasonable theory I think.

(Something similar can be said of American blacks, who have literally made hundreds if not thousands of their neighborhoods from coast to coast into no-go areas for any white person ... they failed miserably to meet liberal expectations for their success post-"Civil-Rights").

Lulletje Rozewater
06-19-2009, 07:34 AM

When you scroll down you see the provinces Kwa-Zulu Natal and Eastern Cape.
It are does all blacks.
No white man would discuss such matters.

Add the Labola(Lobola) system which lend itself to having many girlfriends and all hell break lose.
The 5 years I lived in KZN,I saw this system being totally abused.
A number of whites who married a black treated their spouse like a cow in a dung heap.
That is what hedonism does to a society.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-19-2009, 07:59 AM

Lobola system is a system whereby the male buys a woman and pays off the money/cows in stages sometimes up to 10 years.
The woman becomes legally his when the last payment is made,but he is entitled to have sex,get children etc.
More often than not he never pays the agreed upon "Debt",but as he works in a Town far away and can not control his urges he seeks a girlfriend(s).
Zuma and Mbeki aswell have plenty of "girls" in places they visit.
Drinking is out of control,and the abuse starts creeping in.

South Africa is not most Westernized in the true sense.The western influence is founded by the Europeans of old and the kaffir could not adjust to it.
Elsewhere in Africa the indigenous culture still exists and held as supreme.
Not so in Nigeria.
The kaffir(bantu) is a piece of work not to be associated with.
It is a pity that the Western world demanded "Freedom" first,above the normal evolutionary idea. From crawling to walking to running into a Western civilization.

Places like Ghana-Kenya-Botswana have a controlled changeover.
Not so in South Africa.

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics: 29 have been accused of spousal abuse 7 have been arrested for fraud 19 have been accused of writing bad cheques 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses 3 have done time for assault 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges 8 have been arrested for shoplifting 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year 373 in total or approximately 70% Can you guess which organization this is? Give up yet? its the 535 members of the SOUTH AFRICAN PARLIAMENT - (The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line!)