PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Highway - 1956 Bus Trip Across America

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
yhbJSGD6CuM
Freedom Highway - 1956 Bus Trip Across America

A Greyhound bus transports us from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. through the landscape of American mythology.

This film is available to download from http://www.archive.org/details/FreedomH1956

Supreme American
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
I've only flown over the deserts of the American West on the way to Los Angeles. I very much want to drive them.

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
I am not sure whether Greyhound still covers that part of the journey ? You could look it up.

Supreme American
07-16-2012, 01:26 AM
I am not sure whether Greyhound still covers that part of the journey ? You could look it up.

It does, but Greyhound is full of weirdos. I'd rather fly somewhere like Las Vegas and just rent a car.

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
It does, but Greyhound is full of weirdos. I'd rather fly somewhere like Las Vegas and just rent a car.

You could do that too. It shows that Greyhound is no longer the fantastic service it was back in the day. I remember when I was a child.. there was this book around a group of teenagers visiting America in the 1950s (it was written in those days too) and the trains, the airliner services and the greyhound services all were described and it was very modern for the time.. Particularly for some Dutch teenagers as the Netherlands was still recovering from the war.

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2012, 01:31 AM
4I1CIJtu9Fc

^

We didn't have all that back in the day. Most people didn't have a car either. That only came at the end of the 1950s through the 1960s.

Leadchucker
07-16-2012, 02:58 AM
I've only flown over the deserts of the American West on the way to Los Angeles. I very much want to drive them.

Driving across the country should be on everyone's bucket list. The US is so diverse in geography,scenery and local mini-cultures. We've done it three times on three different routes and they were great trips on which we learned so much about America.

Xenomorph
07-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Driving cross country would be fun; hope I'll get to do it someday.