PDA

View Full Version : Are Women More Intelligent?

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:10 AM
The other thread was hijacked. That's fine; it happens. In any event, a recent study claims that the ordinary woman's IQ is now higher than the ordinary man's IQ. Why do you think this is true/false?

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Oh! Here's the link to the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173808/Women-overtake-men-IQ-tests-time-100-years-multitasking.html

Quorra
07-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Men are too emotional and no good with logic.

Stefan
07-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Sorry about hijacking the other thread. :( Anyway, I'd like to say that despite IQ, women study more efficiently and frequently, at least on average that seems to be the case. I wonder if there are studies on this.

leisitox
07-17-2012, 02:28 AM

Well, in general studies, is the opposite.
But if you say so.

Furnace
07-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Men are women are very different psychologically, and their IQ patterns are different too. Men have a more bell-shaped IQ curve, while women have a more flat one. This will in turn give men more idiots and geniuses, and women more average individuals.

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:38 AM

Did you make a typo? Seriously, your comment doesn't apply to either gender, but it makes for a good subtle joke about gender stereotypes.

Supreme American
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
A study? That means nothing if it hasn't been duplicated.

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Sorry about hijacking the other thread. :( Anyway, I'd like to say that despite IQ, women study more efficiently and frequently, at least on average that seems to be the case. I wonder if there are studies on this.

It's cool. It comes with the forum territory.:) I indeed read that women have better study habits and better work habits. That's especially true for Generation Y.

Smaug
07-17-2012, 02:42 AM

Actually it's the opposite. At least it's what people say.

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Men are women are very different psychologically, and their IQ patterns are different too. Men have a more bell-shaped IQ curve, while women have a more flat one. This will in turn give men more idiots and geniuses, and women more average individuals.

Most studies show that. There may be more challenged women and more gifted women than we realize, though. Men tend to be more represented in the whole canon of such research. It could be that some information is dated to the extent that it's not applicable in 2012.:confused:

Bobcat Fraser
07-17-2012, 02:50 AM
A study? That means nothing if it hasn't been duplicated.

It has been. I duplicated it (see other thread).:D

Dead Eye
07-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Men are more intelligent because they have a higher IQ and they have a bigger brains.Of course though,this is all because of their role in nature-which is why men are naturally bigger built too.

As for the study,i believe this to be because men just no longer give a toss about things and lets face it....feminism isn't helping.

Marmie Dearest
07-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Does this have something to do with X chromosome?

Mago
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM

:confused: "emotional"? so we men have it wrong, for thousands of years we thought females were the emotional ones. I must re-read my manual, it will only take 5 years
http://www.buzzlol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Womens-Instruction-Manual......jpg

safinator
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM
From personal experiences my answer would be no.
In the most cognitive demanding University degrees (Engineering, Medicine ecc) the number of males is always much higher.

Talvi
07-17-2012, 10:09 AM
He collated IQ examination results from countries in western Europe and from the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Argentina and Estonia.

In New Zealand, Estonia and Argentina, women scored marginally more than men.

İ feel so warm now.

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Men are more intelligent because they have a higher IQ and they have a bigger brains.Of course though,this is all because of their role in nature-which is why men are naturally bigger built too.

As for the study,i believe this to be because men just no longer give a toss about things and lets face it....feminism isn't helping.

Men are larger because women are smaller.;) Yeah, men have larger brains. Women have better hemispheric sharing, though. They efficiently use both their left and right regions. That said, there are more intragender differences than intergender ones when it comes to intelligence. That's obvious. It's probable that the average guy and average gal are extremely similar, and these articles are more sensationalist than anything else. They play into the so-called battle of the sexes.

Damiăo de Góis
07-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Girls are better at school/college because they mature earlier.

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 12:54 AM
From personal experiences my answer would be no.
In the most cognitive demanding University degrees (Engineering, Medicine ecc) the number of males is always much higher.

I think that the genders are equal. It could be that men tend to have higher spatial IQs while women tend to have higher verbal IQs. Still, I noticed that the best students, of both genders, in my high school, performed well in both categories. The slower boys didn't perform as well in math and science. The slower girls didn't perform as well in English. I also noticed that girls are overtaking boys in all or most categories (outside of combat, hard labor, sports, etc.) now. One can posit a series of valid reasons as to why this is. This might not be the case among Asian Americans, though.

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Girls are better at school/college because they mature earlier.

They're even bigger than boys when they're around twelve. Thank the Lord for testosterone!:D

Furnace
07-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Does this have something to do with X chromosome?

I am no biologist and have no idea about this, but I guess the Y chromosome contains dna sequences that overrides or collides with the sequences from the x chromosome, thus making the IQ models different for males.

edit: source for my 'claims' about the bell curve can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 01:16 AM
I am no biologist and have no idea about this, but I guess the Y chromosome contains dna sequences that overrides or collides with the sequences from the x chromosome, thus making the IQ models different for males.

The x chromosome is comparatively weak, and it may dissipate up the long road. In fact, we all start out as females.

Balmung
07-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Both have their obvious weakenesses.

I believe the male weakness is our ego. We are full of ourselves and enjoy being right and dominant. Want to hurt a guy, attack that.

You can also easily get a male in trouble over sexual things since most males can't resist females like females can resist males.

Scenario 1:

Woman: Hey baby, looking for a good time?
Man: Hell yeah, lets do this, my pants was down 5 minutes ago.

Scenario 2:

Man: Hey baby, looking for a good time?
Woman: Get away you pervert *kicks in balls* Hmmph!

Contra Mundum
07-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Women are just as intelligent as men, but in a different way. They don't seem to retain as much knowledge long term. Many of them have an excellent photographic memory that helps them excel in testing, yet they don't seem to have the depth of knowledge and understanding that men do. It could be because they just aren't as interested in certain subjects as men are, especially in science, math and engineering. Name 2 famous female physicists off the top of your head?

Furnace
07-18-2012, 01:20 AM
The x chromosome is comparatively weak, and it may dissipate up the long road. In fact, we all start out as females.

I see, interesting. And by weak you mean recessive?

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Both have their obvious weakenesses.

I believe the male weakness is our ego. We are full of ourselves and enjoy being right and dominant. Want to hurt a guy, attack that.

You can also easily get a male in trouble over sexual things since most males can't resist females like females can resist males.

Scenario 1:

Woman: Hey baby, looking for a good time?
Man: Hell yeah, lets do this, my pants was down 5 minutes ago.

Scenario 2:

Man: Hey baby, looking for a good time?
Woman: Get away you pervert *kicks in balls* Hmmph!

Well, females like to hurt other females too. Most of the girls and women here will confirm that. Males throw down, and they put it behind them. Females never forget.

Furnace
07-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Women are just as intelligent as men, but in a different way. They don't seem to retain as much knowledge long term. Many of them have an excellent photographic memory that helps them excel in testing, yet they don't seem to have the depth of knowledge and understanding that men do. It could be because they just aren't as interested in certain subjects as men are, especially in science, math and engineering. Name 2 famous female physicists off the top of your head?

Could only find one :(

Marie Curie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Curie)

Contra Mundum
07-18-2012, 01:27 AM
Could only find one :(

Marie Curie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Curie)

Yes, everyone knows her, that's why I said name two..lol

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Name 2 famous female physicists off the top of your head?

Someone stole my thunder. Would Hedy Lamarr fit the female genius category?

Lábaru
07-18-2012, 01:36 AM

http://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/lolpics-shes-a-woman.jpg

Bobcat Fraser
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM
I see, interesting. And by weak you mean recessive?

I meant that we all start out as yy. You might enjoy reading this entry about the so-called disappearing male.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070310041615data_trunc_sys.shtml

Kazimiera
03-27-2013, 10:56 PM
---> moved to Psychology

Leon_C
03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
On average women probably have higher Iq because they are evenly spread in the mid range of iq with fewer geniuses and morons. Men on the other hand are more likely to be complete morons or geniuses.

silver_surfer
11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Men, on average, being knowledgeable or adept in ways that are socially qualified as intelligent doesn't actually make them any more intelligent than women(and, vice-versa, women being more knowledgeable or adept in certain ways doesn't make them any more intelligent than men). The brain learns, adapts and stores information throughout its life and development(both consciously and subconsciously; whether it's logic, technical skills, motor-skills, social skills, emotions, raw knowledge, etc) and this has nothing to do with gender - "intelligence" is entirely subjective.

euphoric
09-13-2021, 04:47 PM
The other thread was hijacked. That's fine; it happens. In any event, a recent study claims that the ordinary woman's IQ is now higher than the ordinary man's IQ. Why do you think this is true/false?

Yes, I can vouch for that. Women are both statistically and in my anecdotal subjective view more intelligent than men.

CordedWhelp
09-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Men are more "all over the place", women have more members floating around the middle.