PDA

View Full Version : Wild edible plants and medicines

Mark Trail
07-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Which wild plants have you tried? Are there any you love?

Cattails are a good one to know. You can make flour out their roots. You can cook the young flower spikes like corn. You can make mittens out of the seeds.

Mark Trail
07-19-2012, 02:48 AM
If you crush the stems or roots of touch-me-not and hold it over a mosquito bite, it will stop itching.

Aurora
07-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Cattails are a good one to know. You can make flour out their roots. You can cook the young flower spikes like corn. You can make mittens out of the seeds.

Cattails are good. I roasted the tuber over the fire.

Purslane is good http://www.worldcrops.org/images/content/purslane_500_400.JPG

Albion
08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Dandelions are edible as a leaf vegetable or the roots ground up and baked to make a coffee. I've never tried it myself and beware that much of Europe calls it names associated with piss.

I've tried hawthorn leaves (they tasted horrible, like ink) and eaten bilberries (like a small, wild blueberry), wild raspberries, blackberries, sloes and wild apples.

Hazel nuts are edible too, and sweet chestnut (don't confuse with horse chestnut). Cherries on the trees are usually nice when ripe too, but a bit "sharp".

carol
08-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Mittens? How?
Yes, I collect fiddleheads in spring-a local spring fern that tastes a bit like asparagus. You can also eat dandelion greens- the tiny, new growth. Birch bark, you can use to make drinks, and sumac trees are used for dye. I collect maple syrup, of course!