PDA

View Full Version : Lack of exercise kills roughly as many as smoking, study says

Contra Mundum
07-20-2012, 01:33 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef016768939fa0970b-600wi

People across the world are falling so far short on exercise that the problem has become a global pandemic, causing nearly a tenth of deaths worldwide and killing roughly as many people as smoking, researchers warned this week as an alarming series of studies was published in the Lancet.

Eight out of 10 youngsters age 13 to 15 don't get enough exercise, according to one of the Lancet studies released Tuesday, and nearly a third of adults fall short. The problem is even worse for girls and women, who are less active than boys and men, researchers found.

The results are fatal. Lack of exercise is tied to worldwide killers such as heart disease, diabetes and breast and colon cancer. If just a quarter of inactive adults got enough exercise, more than 1.3 million deaths could be prevented worldwide annually, researchers said. Half an hour of brisk walking five times a week would do the trick.

Despite its deadly consequences, lack of exercise doesn’t get the same funding or attention as other health problems, said Pedro Hallal, associate professor at the Federal University of Pelotas in Brazil and author of one of the studies.

“It gets underfunded and undervalued,” Hallal said. “But it’s huge everywhere in the world.”

In the widest study ever of the scope of the problem, Hallal and his fellow researchers found that although wealthier countries are more likely to fall short on physical activity, people in countries across the globe are getting too little exercise. The new research covered 122 nations representing 89% of the world's population.

The affluent Mediterranean island nation of Malta, for instance, had the highest rate of adult inactivity reported in the study, with more than 7 of 10 adults failing to get enough exercise. Close behind was Swaziland, a developing country between South Africa and Mozambique.
Other countries where at least 60% of the adult population fell short on exercise include Serbia, Malaysia, Britain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Argentina and the Dominican Republic. On the flip side, the most active countries included Bangladesh (where fewer than 5% of adults are inactive), Mongolia and Mozambique.

The Americas were generally the least active region, followed by the area east of the Mediterranean covering countries such as Iraq, Lebanon and Saudi Arabia; countries in Africa and Southeast Asia were the most active. People age 60 or older in Southeast Asia were more active, on average, than teens and young adults in the Americas, Europe, the eastern Mediterranean and the western Pacific.

The study didn’t delve into why some countries reported much higher levels of inactivity than others, even in the same region. But Hallal said poorer countries are likely to fall behind in the coming years if existing trends continue. Exercise tied to jobs, commuting or housework -- more commonly done by the poor -- is waning, while leisure exercise -- more often done by the rich -- is on the upswing.

The Lancet also published several other studies delving into the problem of physical inactivity, including one that examined how countries might promote more exercise. It highlighted one program created in Colombia that closes off city streets to cars on Sunday mornings, opening them to cyclists and runners. Even improving street lighting can boost activity, studies from the U.S. and Europe have found.

Such measures are rare. Few countries have put money behind plans to get their people moving. Though nearly 3 out of 4 countries that are members of the World Health Organization have national plans to tackle inactivity, only 42% of those plans are funded and operational, another Lancet study found.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/lack-of-exercise-kills-roughly-as-many-as-smoking-study-says.html

kabeiros
07-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Although I smoke 10-15 cigarettes per day, I swim at least two hours and ride my bicycle everyday (up to the hill were my house is located). Does this counter act my bad habbit?

Absinthe
07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Although I smoke 10-15 cigarettes per day, I swim at least two hours and ride my bicycle everyday (up to the hill were my house is located). Does this counter act my bad habbit?
I don't think it counteracts it but exercise will surely help you stay healthier for a greater number of years than if you quit smoking and did no exercise.

To me

exercise > smoking

exercise > dieting/eating healthy

exercise > alcohol

Of course, the best predicament to find yourself in, is to combine exercise with a healthy diet and moderate drinking habits and if possible, little to no smoking. Healthy mind in a healthy body ;)

And also, I think that one good thing leads to another. If you improve one of the above factors then the rest will simply fall into place. But you need to start with exercise.

I used to have the worst possible habits: eating unhealthy, drinking and smoking a lot, and having a sedentary lifestyle.

The moment I decided to change that, the first thing I did was register at a gym. When I started exercising on a regular basis, I lost appetite for other unhealthy habits.

I could not eat junk because I lost my energy to go to the gym. I could not drink a lot because it made me feel bloated and drowsy and I could not exercise, again. I could not smoke a lot because it made me lose my breath when exercising.

So by modifying one aspect the other aspects well pretty much self-regulated.

I am sure that if you didn't swim and ride the bicycle, you would smoke even more, eat more and drink more, and generally have a more unhealthy lifestyle. :)

Fortis in Arduis
07-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Serious problem, and not just confined to the first world.

I have (and have had) a VERY sedentary life. I am having to actively change this by going for walks every day, like an old person!!! :eek: Modern life is cheating us!

Absinthe
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Aren't you practicing yoga anymore? :(

hyden
08-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Exercise is the best way to keep yourself fit,active and happy.Now days people are't do any exercise,spend time on video games,pc,t.v,or some other electric ways which divert the attention from exercise to other things.I have learnt many things from the above mentioned information,i m not a smoker:)but i m quite conscious about my health so i do exercise on daily basis and enjoying my healthy life:)

Absinthe
08-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Exercise is the best way to keep yourself fit,active and happy.Now days people are't do any exercise,spend time on video games,pc,t.v,or some other electric ways which divert the attention from exercise to other things.

I agree 100% my friend! :thumb001:

I have been much happier since I started exercising. I will not be exaggerating to say it keeps the depression away. In my darkest hours, I get up, go to the gym, and let all the frustration out...and afterwards I feel rejuvenated. There is nothing like letting out your frustrations in a productive and healthy way.

Sabinae
08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Well... I don't exercise now, and this habbit has always stayed with me... but I have a somewhat athletic figure... This is the weirdest body I've ever seen :eek:
My girlfriends agree. Unlike me, they do have a constant, healthy schedule of fitness and gym to keep shaped. Oh well... I'll regret it later on in life...

Chatwin
11-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Hi CM,
Informative post and to some extend agree with you as regular exercises reduce the risk of premature death by reducing the risk of major health diseases. Regular exercises reduce cholesterol, lowers high blood pressure and prevent from cardiovascular disease, certain types of cancer and diabetes. Besides exercises we must follow healthy and balanced diet meal plans also.