PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fasting

Fylfot
07-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Anyone here practising intermittent fasting? I've been practising it for 2 months now and without any exaggerations, I think it is the best "diet" for me.

"Intermittent fasting (IF) is a pattern of eating that alternates between periods of fasting (usually meaning consumption of water only) and non-fasting.
There is evidence suggesting that intermittent fasting may have beneficial effects on the health and longevity of animals—including humans—that are similar to the effects of caloric restriction (CR). There is currently no consensus as to the degree to which this is simply due to fasting or an (often) concomitant overall decrease in calories, but recent studies have showed support of the former[1][2] Alternate-day calorie restriction may prolong lifespan[3]. (IF and CR are forms of Dietary Restriction (DR), which is sometimes referred to as Dietary Energy Restriction (DER).)
Scientific study of intermittent fasting in rats (and anecdotally in humans) was carried out at least as early as 1943.[4]
A specific form of IF is alternate day fasting (ADF), also referred to as every other day fasting (EOD), or every other day feeding (EODF), a 48-hour routine typically composed of a 24-hour fast followed by a 24-hour non-fasting period."

Unlike many other diets, IE doesn't lead to loss of musclemass or to feelings of hunger. Any opinions?

rhiannon
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Describe your typical eating pattern over a period of say....two weeks....just to see what you are meaning by intermittent fasting.

I have heard some of this same data as well.

Fylfot
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
First week:
From 4 P.M to 8 P.M I am "allowed" to eat. The rest of the day is dedicated to fasting and then only water is allowed. During the "eating-window" I am supposed to consume anything between 2000kcal and 3000kcal, so the the idea is not to eat less than normally but instead to focus all your eating in to that 4h window. This will affect your metabolism to burn more fat and thus it is easier to lose weight. My meals include sweet potatoes, milk curd, beef, different fruits, and lots of other things. I don't have to avoid carbs or fats,just eating like a normal person(of course pizzas,burgers etc are not allowed :()

Second week:
Last week taught me that I am an evening eater, so I decided to move my eating-window to 8 PM-12PM. When you get used to this system,you will not become hungry even when you fast for the rest of the day. That is also one of the best things about this diet. You can go the whole day without your stomach growling in hunger. You don't have to eat small snacks during the day so it will also help you e.g. to concentrate more on your work,studies etc...

Dalton Fury
07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
This is a good nutrition protocol. I experimented with this after I injured my shoulder last year and couldn't do any upper body lifts and focused on my running.

Intermittent Fasting (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting)

thetank
02-23-2013, 11:54 PM
pointless self torture in my opinion... I don't think its better or worst than any diet or just being on a regular caloric defecit

Caismeachd
02-24-2013, 02:33 AM
When I do that I feel really tired on the fasting days and I need to have constant energy. I usually just do a lemon cleanse fast every 6-12 months for a week or two as a means to discipline myself but also for some potential health benefits.

usagerxyz
04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
That's something that I've been doing for almost 2 years and I find this very beneficial. I don't eat breakfasts, my first meal is around 2pm-4pm never earlier and always consists of meat; my last meal (if I eat my first meal around 4 pm) is around the midnight, usually I'm fine with two meals during my "eating time". At first it was hard to not to eat anything while going out, doing outdoors activities, but now eating something before 2pm seems unbearable, intermittent fasting comes natural. And it's really good to not to eat breakfast, especially since in many people's cases it's some shit like bread, buns, etc. that is eaten during their breakfast time.

Styrian Mujo
01-22-2015, 08:04 PM
On week days I fast from about 19.00 to 17.30 the next day. On weekends I fast from 18.00 to 12.30 the next day. I usually have school from 7.00 to 14.50 and than I to the gym immediatly afterwards and I come home at about 17.00 so fasting fits my schedule perfectly.