PDA

View Full Version : UN Chief's Visit Raises Hopes in Macedonia

poiuytrewq0987
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
The UN Secretary General's visit to Macedonia has raised hopes of a fresh push in the stalled UN-sponsored “name” talks, although few expect a breakthrough.

"The fact that Ban Ki-moon will be accompanied by the special envoy… is seen as a confirmation of the importance attributed by the UN head for a prompt settlement of the issue and for finding a way to accelerate the process,” the Macedonian Foreign Affairs Ministry said.

Ki-moon begins his visit in the lakeside town of Ohrid, where he will meet President Gjorge Ivanov. On Wednesday, in Skopje, he will meet Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski and Parliament Speaker Trajko Veljanoski, as well as delivering an address to parliament.

“The country's constructive approach and determination toward finding a mutually acceptable solution to the name dispute will be reiterated to the UN Secretary General and mediator Nimetz," the Macedonian Foreign Ministry added.

After the talks in Skopje, Ki-moon’s envoy will depart for Thessaloniki, Greece, on Thursday, for a meeting with the Greek “name” negotiator, Adamantios Vassilakis.

Greece insists that use of the term "Macedonia" implies a territorial claim to its own northern province of the same name. Citing the unresolved issue, Greece has repeatedly blocked Macedonia’s progress towards both EU and NATO membership.

UN-brokered talks to overcome the dispute have failed to result in a solution and there have been no substantial talks for over a year, partly owing to the complicated political situation in Greece.

As part of his tour of the region the UN Secretary General previously visited Slovenia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo. After wrapping up his stay to Macedonia, Ki-Moon heads for Bosnia and Herzegovina, his last stop.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=213

poiuytrewq0987
07-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Apparently, Ban, he has a surprise waiting to be pulled out of the hat. What is it, I wonder?

“I don't think there will be any new negotiations, Ban Ki-moon is visiting Macedonia in order to make his own analysis, examine details and problems and so on,” Gruevski said.

However, he added that “anything can happen” and that “there may be a pleasant surprise”, not specifying what that surprise might be.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/name-dispute-central-as-un-head-visits-macedonia

poiuytrewq0987
07-25-2012, 03:28 AM
The UN Secretary General is enjoying his visit to Macedonia, during his walk in Ohrid could be overheard saying - Macedonia, beautiful Macedonia...

Ban Ki Moon wasn't shy on his knowledge on Macedonia either. In front of journalists he proclaimed he has known about Macedonia and its rich history since his student days, except in Korea they called it "Makedonia". -The first time I saw the word 'Macedonia' was at the UN, said Ki Moon.

As expected, the main topic of discussion was the name dispute with Greece.

The real bombshell came when journalist from Kanal 5 asked the UN Secretary General about the right to self identification. Ban Ki Moon responded that the right to self identification and self determination is a Universal Right and the UN never comprimoses on that, neither should you!

This will surely cause shock waves in Athens and at home because the Government has been pressured by intellectuals and international lawyers to stop all illegal negotiations with Greece and go for a vote in the UN Assembly after which Macedonia will simply remove the 'fyr' reference. More than 130 nations have recognized Macedonia under its constitutional name.

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/21523/2/

poor grki. :cry2 :D

poiuytrewq0987
07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
http://gdb.rferl.org/5B3ECE2C-9E83-4CB9-87FD-03EA5E603AA4_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy11_cw0.jpg

SKOPJE -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has pledged to Macedonia's parliament that he will try to speed up the process of resolving Macedonia's long-running name dispute with Greece.

Ban's visit is the latest stop on the UN chief's tour of Balkan countries. He also met in Skopje with President Gjorge Ivanov.

Macedonia and Greece have been locked in a name dispute since the former Yugoslav republic gained independence in 1991.

Athens has blocked Macedonia's membership of NATO because of the row, arguing that the name Macedonia implies a territorial claim over its northern region of the same name. Skopje rejects Greece's claim.

More than 130 nations recognize the country as Macedonia, but it is still listed at the UN under its provisional name, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

http://www.rferl.org/content/un-chief-pledges-action-on-name-dispute/24656188.html

poiuytrewq0987
07-26-2012, 04:48 AM
An excerpt from his address to the Macedonian parliament

I commend your leadership over the past year as President of the Roma Decade. I encourage you to commit even more to breaking down cultural barriers and ensuring that Roma children can develop to their full potential.

I have no doubt of your commitment to a peaceful multiethnic society.

You have amended your Constitution to enable important developments such as decentralization, the double majority vote and the use of multiple languages.

You opened your doors and your hearts to hundreds of thousands of refugees during the Kosovo crisis.

And you have brought your embrace of diversity to the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations.

As Prime Minister Gruevski emphasized at last year’s General Debate in New York, you have shouldered your responsibility as a member of the United Nations.

I know you have a goal – to join the European Union and NATO.

And I know you have an obstacle. It is imperative to resolve the issue of your name.

Both sides need to demonstrate commitment by promoting a positive atmosphere through their actions and public statements.

My Personal Envoy, Mr. Nimetz, and I are determined to facilitate a mutually agreeable solution soon.

http://www.un.org/sg/statements/index.asp?nid=6211