PDA

View Full Version : Druids, Rastafarians and atheists in new religious studies classes

Beorn
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Druids, Rastafarians and atheists in new religious studies classes

Lessons will also focus on Druids and Rastafarianism as part of a syllabus designed to boost understanding of religious diversity around the world.

Attitudes by different faiths towards same sex marriages, human rights, gender equality and even GM crops will be among the topics covered.

The course will largely snub traditional lessons on the Bible and other holy books.
Examiners said the syllabus - by one of Britain's biggest exam boards - will make the subject more "relevant" to students.
But it has been criticised for "pandering to popularity".
Religious studies is currently one of the fastest-growing GCSEs in the UK and in the last two years the number of entries has increased by 24,000 to 171,000.

From September, the OCR exam board will run three courses.
Religion and Belief in Today's World - one of the syllabuses - will "challenge students to think about the role of religion in modern Britain and in the worldwide community".
One topic will focus on how atheism has been marked in countries around the world. This includes the influence of the British Humanist Association, which recently backed an advertising campaign proclaiming "There's probably no God", and the work of best-selling author Philip Pullman in the UK.

In other subject, pupils will investigate different religious attitudes towards genetically-modified food, cloning and medical ethics.
Another topic asks students to study perspectives on relationships, including forced marriage, inter-faith marriage and same sex couples.
In one key area, lessons will focus on the influence of minority religious movements, such as Falun Gong, the banned Chinese spiritual group, and the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, which believe in the spirituality of nature. As part of a topic on Rastafarianism, students are asked to look at the influence of Bob Marley in the 1970s.

Liam Gearon, professor of lifelong learning at Plymouth University, who supports the new course, said: "This is an intellectually exciting new GCSE which will challenge students to think about the role of religion in modern Britain and in the worldwide community. Encouraging the use of historical reflection as well as thought-provoking analysis of contemporary events, it will engage students of all abilities with the many issues that surround religion in the modern world."

The disclosure comes days after another exam board - the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance - announced it would run a religious studies GCSE in which pupils answer questions about homosexuality, conservation, binge drinking and drugs in sport.

Anastasia de Waal, head of family and education at the think-tank Civitas, said: "We seem to be so desperate to make things relevant - to pander to popularity - that our kids aren't being taught the underlying knowledge they need to succeed in the world. We are doing a huge disservice to our young people."

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5039275/Druids-Rastafarians-and-atheists-in-new-religious-studies-classes.html)

Is it any wonder that society is crumbling around our heads when we have such wondrously spiteful and naive members of our own country, such as the atheist movement, wilfully plying the seeds of our destruction in aid to "enlighten us"?

Freomęg
06-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Is it any wonder that society is crumbling around our heads when we have such wondrously spiteful and naive members of our own country, such as the atheist movement, wilfully plying the seeds of our destruction in aid to "enlighten us"?
Absolutely agree. Whether you're an aetheist or religious, it's important to understand that the atheist movement comprises part of an agenda which is concerned with destroying all cultural and spiritual unity - and tradition. We're far more easily managed when the highest authority we recognise is not god(s), but rather, the men who see themselves as our overlords.

Loddfafner
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
It might be an interesting and challenging course.

SwordoftheVistula
06-24-2009, 07:40 AM

There's a number of cranks in the atheist movement, especially jews who are still resentful over growing up in the only family without a Christmas tree, but most atheists aren't like that. Atheists aren't the main problem. You won't ever see atheists crashing planes into buildings or planting bombs on buses and trains. It's not atheists who tell people to leave all rationale and reason behind and instead embrace interracial marriages and 'compassion for immigrants'. I haven't seen any ads for the 'Atheist Childrens Assistance Network' telling us to send all our money to third world hellholes.

Treffie
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Nothing wrong with Druids - we've got loads of them round here. :thumb001:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44905000/jpg/_44905298_26c0c6aa-1fd6-455a-82c4-74454ff1bc7a.jpg

SwordoftheVistula
06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Nothing wrong with Druids - we've got loads of them round here. :thumb001:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44905000/jpg/_44905298_26c0c6aa-1fd6-455a-82c4-74454ff1bc7a.jpg

Are those Burkas that they are wearing?

Treffie
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Are those Burkas that they are wearing?

No, these are just Eisteddfodic ceremonial robes.:)

Beorn
06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
There's a number of cranks in the atheist movement, especially jews who are still resentful over growing up in the only family without a Christmas tree, but most atheists aren't like that.

True, to an extent, and there are examples on this forum.

Atheists aren't the main problem.They are in my eyes and in the eyes of countless more. An example would be the insidious advertising campaign currently wandering the highways of English roads.

http://blogocrats.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mbw_dawkins-420x0.jpg

You won't ever see atheists crashing planes into buildings or planting bombs on buses and trains.Really? I take it you mean their beliefs won't drive them to such extremes? If one were to do so, then you would be the first to admit that the basis of the Atheist movement had been corrupted and the person was in fact an extremist? And not representative of both the movement and the movements followers.

I haven't seen any ads for the 'Atheist Childrens Assistance Network' telling us to send all our money to third world hellholes.Yet I'm sure the atheists of this world would still send money to attend to the needs of the third world, regardless of whether there was a television campaign or not.

Cato
06-25-2009, 03:00 AM
No, these are just Eisteddfodic ceremonial robes.:)

They look like a bunch of nuns.

Goidelic
06-25-2009, 04:49 AM
The problem with the Atheist movement today is that there are so many 3rd world non-white people involved in it. I have friends that are racially aware pro-Germanic, pro-Northern Euro Preservationist Atheists who don't want to label themselves as part of the "Atheist movement" because it comprises a leftist agenda of people who seek to get rid of old Pagan religions and European Christianity, and all European religions, as well as promote left wing agendas that is common for non-whites, also if you have certain views and an Asian happens to be an "Atheist" you don't want to be involved in their one view such as an "Atheist movement" because there are many non-whites. As a Christian, I think there are differences between the Northwest-European/Old Stock variants of Christianity such as Calvinism and the Semitic versions such as Syrian or any Middle Eastern Catholic/Orthodoxy.

SwordoftheVistula
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
The problem with the Atheist movement today is that there are so many 3rd world non-white people involved in it.

Where do you live? Nearly all the atheists I know are white, mainly northern Europe, and the ones who aren't are either Asian or Jewish. I've never met nor even heard of a black, hispanic, middle eastern, or Indian atheist.

An example would be the insidious advertising campaign currently wandering the highways of English roads.

What's wrong with that? It's true, and no less public than crosses displayed from churches or along the roadside.

If one were to do so...

Yet I'm sure the atheists of this world would still send money to attend to the needs of the third world, regardless of whether there was a television campaign or not.

Atheists don't, because the basis for atheism is avoiding all that nonsense. Religion is based on overriding reason, which is why many of them do crazy stuff. Atheism is like avoiding gambling and prostitutes or living a drug-free lifestyle, it removes oneself from negative influences.

Groenewolf
06-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Where do you live? Nearly all the atheists I know are white, mainly northern Europe, and the ones who aren't are either Asian or Jewish. I've never met nor even heard of a black, hispanic, middle eastern, or Indian atheist.

So you never heard of Hirsi Ali?