PDA

View Full Version : World's First Heart Transplant, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa

Kazimiera
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2900871753_9c11618e72.jpg

December 3, 1967 marked one of the greatest moments in medical history – the world’s first heart transplant. A team led by Professor Christiaan Neethling Barnard performed the operation in the Charles Saint Theatre of Cape Town’s Groote Schuur Hospital in Observatory.

Today the Heart of Cape Town Museum honours those who played a major role in a surgical feat that pushed the boundaries of science into the dawn of a new medical era. A and B theatres are the original general surgery theatres used for the first heart transplant. They remain laid out to create a fully authentic representation of the pioneering operation.

Barnard was a brilliant surgeon who commanded great respect and admiration. He was an innovative researcher, dedicated caregiver, a great South African ambassador, writer, businessman and family man whose motto was, “One life is enough, if well lived.”

Osprey
07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Christiaan_Barnard.jpg

Contra Mundum
07-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Denied a Nobel Prize because the bastards in Stockholm didn't like Apartheid, which had nothing to do with him.

Kazimiera
07-30-2012, 11:46 AM
When I was studying I was fortunate enough to do my practical component here.

Osprey
07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
When I was studying I was fortunate enough to do my practical component and work here.

When can we expect a similar kind of revolutionary brain surgery from you :D

Kazimiera
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM
When can we expect a similar kind of revolutionary brain surgery from you :D

Neurosurgery isn't my field. :p

Supreme American
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Denied a Nobel Prize because the bastards in Stockholm didn't like Apartheid, which had nothing to do with him.

I'm sure the bastards in Stockholm are like all good white liberals everywhere in that they don't accuse others of racism while they tuck themselves away in some little Whitopia.