PDA

View Full Version : God and genetic determinism

Útrám
06-24-2009, 03:08 AM
6c2mjq2n3Yg

Poltergeist
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I haven't heard something so stupid for a long time, I must say (and I am not even "Christian" except in some cultural sense).

I mean, how ludicrous is it from someone to mock the belief in God and yet at the same time uphold the preposterous superstition (empirically unproven) that human beings are merely machines (aka genetic determinism)? That acceptance of any belief system or rejection thereof is written in the stars, sorry, in the genotype? That is extremely naive worldview, denying free will. Will is one of the cornerstone of the individual life of every human and the driving force between creation of civilizations etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M-vnmejwXo

But, no, I was wrong. In fact, everything can be explained away mechanically. There is a gene that makes us believe in God, a gene that is responsible for out preference for eating icecream after fish dinner, a gene for watching Nicholas Cage movies etc.:D

Útrám
06-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I think you misunderstood the purport of the video. I use the term "genetic determinism" in a more broader sense. The man in the video made a perfectly valid point and in my opinion a very astute one about how the more favoured dispositions among some humans conflict with irrational notions(esp faith in this case).

Poltergeist
06-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I think you misunderstood the purport of the video. I use the term "genetic determinism" in a more broader sense. The man in the video made a perfectly valid point and in my opinion a very astute one about how the more favoured dispositions among some humans conflict with irrational notions(esp faith in this case).

I wasn't attacking you, but the video.

Which does advocate the notion of genetic determinism, a pretty irrational assumption.

Útrám
06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I wasn't attacking you, but the video.

Which does advocate the notion of genetic determinism, a pretty irrational assumption.

Care to elaborate?

I don't see how he "advocates" genetic determinism, he merely said how the feebler minded are more likely to believe in the unproven, which is very true.