PDA

View Full Version : What were your grades like?

Stefan
07-31-2012, 04:31 AM
We all know Apricity members can almost collectively gain Mensa membership, but I'm interested in how this higher IQ affects one's grades in school. ;)

Poll:

There are four subjects: Science, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Language.

There are four grade percentages: below 70, 70-80, 80-90, 90-100.

ETKearne
08-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I always received straight A's (or A+'s if they were given) during HS in all subjects. In college, I received mostly all A's except a few B's in some really technical advanced physics & mathematics courses. I was a Math & Physics major, though, so it was a fun challenge to me.

Mechanolater
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
We talkin' high school? Never got less than 90% in my Science, Math, and Communication Arts classes. Nothing below an 80 in Social Studies class. I loathed Social Studies, though. I wept through Social Studies. I'd rather lose a pinky toe than sit through another Social Studies class. I'd gladly beat myself blue with a bumberschute if it meant I wouldn't remember how booooooring Social Studies was.

Damião de Góis
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
High school or college?

Midori
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I was quite a bad student... I blame it on my laziness

Osprey
08-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Good in Physics and History.

Stefan
08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
High school, since it is more representative of the entire population. Sorry I wasn't clear. ;)

Osprey
08-01-2012, 07:00 PM
High school, since it is more representative of the entire population. Sorry I wasn't clear. ;)

A good reasoner should have inferred it. You were clear ;)

Damião de Góis
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Ok, voted: i was bad at maths in high school (this changed in college), i was good at languages and good at science too. I didn't have social studies in high school, only from the 5th to 9th year if i'm not mistaken.

Corvus
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Good in German,History and Geography
Average in mathematics, physics and biology
Bad in English

Mechanolater
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I didn't have social studies in high school, only from the 5th to 9th year if i'm not mistaken.

You lucky slice o' flan.

Caismeachd
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Scored something like 1260 1998 SAT (old SAT). On HS equiv test I scored 90% Science, 93% Social Studies, 94% language and only something like 48% in math. I was terrible at math and it always held me back but these days I seem to be able to do it quicker in my head than my friends.

Was unable to afford full college, parents wouldn't help any, and didn't need it after a while as the jobs I was getting age 23-28 were better paying than what most graduates made anyways, but now that I am in debt and unable to find decent work now I don't know if it would have really helped me or not. Sucks to be fairly smart but held back by things like that.

Comte Arnau
08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I've always easily excelled in Languages and Social Studies and epicly failed in Maths and much of Science. (I only grew some interest for Science after high school, mainly in a self-taught way, but I still prefer Languages, Philophy, History, Arts or Anthropology in general. I find exact sciences enticing in some aspects, but boring as hell.)

I've always excelled in Sports too, if it matters at all. :)

Stefan
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
As for myself, I am quite good at all subjects, but I have been lazy up until this last year. Luckily, I had an easy school. It wasn't until my Junior and Senior years that I was pushed hard. I got a few 88s here and there, per quarter, but my final averages for the year were always in the 90s.

My best subjects were Language, Science, and History ones. Ironically, my worst subject was Mathematics. This was mostly because the way Mathematics was taught in my school was boring and non-fluid. I still got As, but just barely. Particularly, I hated Trigonometry and its rote-ness. Calculus was fantastic though, and I ended up with a 96% for the year, which compared with my 92s in Algebra II, and Trigonometry, is quite fantastic. That was when I truly started to enjoy Mathematics. I was good at Prob & Stat as well. I finished that class with a 98%, but the teacher had to curve it ridiculously because half the class would fail for some reason. Physics was a bit tough, based on pacing, but I still pulled off a 97% for the year. AP Biology was a lot of work and studying. I finished with a 95%. AP English I had a 98%, but the class was interrupted because my teacher had to take leave for a few months after her grandmother died to take care of her grandfather. Otherwise, it would have been a lot more work.

If I were to choose my best subject out of all of them, I'd say Biology. I got a 760 on my Bio subject test, which is the 90th percentile. I was quite surprised about that. :) For some reason I have a natural aptitude for Biology which I can't emulate very well in other subjects. Although I love Physics and Mathematics more because there is far less rote-ness and memorization.

My average for all four years of high school was a 96.2%.

Sultan Suleiman
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't get this system of grading...

Mraz
08-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't get this system of grading...

Are you still with the 1-2-3-4-5 system?
Get rid of that commie rating dude :picard2:

I've always studied the day before so not so great grades for me.

Sultan Suleiman
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you still with the 1-2-3-4-5 system?

We have 100 point system in college thanks to Bolonja, though the grades in index are still marked with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 :)

~Nik~
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I was quite a bad student... I blame it on my laziness

Serbs are lazy.

Hurrem sultana
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
We have 100 point system in college thanks to Bolonja, though the grades in index are still marked with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 :)

Bolonja in Bosnia is a joke

Sultan Suleiman
08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Bolonja in Bosnia is a joke

I am happy with what I can take :)

Hurrem sultana
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I am happy with what I can take :)

As long as you are happy,i am happy too

~Nik~
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
^ The world revolves around the happiness it seems.

safinator
08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Always average grades except in Math and English where i was good. The only subject i put effort was Math.

Lithium
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I suck at everything related to Maths and numbers in general. I am really good in learning foreign languages, Psychology, Laws, Phylosophy and Economics and I like studying Nature science and Ecology.

Bobcat Fraser
08-02-2012, 05:18 AM
I had a B average in high school and university. They put me in AP classes in junior high school. One supposedly had to work harder for good grades, but I found the tiered system to be a bunch of elitism. I did better on tests of basic skills (English, math, science, etc.) than my grades would reflect. I was *not* disciplined or studious. I was the black sheep of the family in that way. My sisters got straight As from first grade to the ends of their academic careers. I got the "lazy scholar" gene.

Arthas
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm currently in the process of doing my A-levels. In my GCSE's (British qualifications you get at the end of high school), I got mostly A's and B's, and I did virtually no revision whatsoever.

rhiannon
08-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I am living proof that grades received in high school are not an indicator of a person's ability to do well in University:) Let's leave it at that.

Leadchucker
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
95% A's in everything, graduated with top honours in Industrial Arts

Anarch
08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I did superbly (95% +) in English, English literature, philosophy, history and international relations. I was mediocre at maths and the hard sciences. I've never particularly enjoyed maths and my interest in the hard sciences picked up after high school.

Dan1
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
As a child I didn't do well in school. :icon_neutral:

ETKearne
08-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I am living proof that grades received in high school are not an indicator of a person's ability to do well in University:) Let's leave it at that.

And I am living proof that very high grades in high school & University are not proof of a person's ability for financial success. But perhaps that is just the terrible USA economy.

Frigga
08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I always got a C average in all my classes. But that wasn't because of my not being smart or not, it was because I was always horribly lazy with my homework and studying. I got the grades I did because I always did really well on my tests with very little effort on my part. I probably would have had a B+ average at least if I had applied myself more, and my mother was always harping on my case about that.

I really liked my English classes, and Art, Music, Science, and Biology. I didn't like Math as much, nor Physical Education, and History was on the boring side.

I much preferred to read fantasy and science fiction books and watch television shows after school than do homework. I had always felt that after school time should be for me, not for the schools.

Osprey
08-02-2012, 04:40 PM
History was on the boring side.

I much preferred to read fantasy

http://omgface.com/z/Dafuq_1343399409.jpg

Frigga
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
^ Cherry picker thou art.

:coffee:

Osprey
08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
^ Cherry picker thou art.

:coffee:

Fantasy literature is closely related to Historical manuscripts.

SilverKnight
08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Math about C average (65-75%)

Reading/ Language , A 90-100%

Social Studies, B-A 80-100%

Science, B-A 80-90%

Kazimiera
11-19-2012, 11:52 PM
English: 80%'
Afrikaans: 85%
German: 100%
Biology: 75%
Accounting: 70%
Business Economics: 65%
Home Economics: 60% (mainly because my cooking skills weren't so good)

Maths and Science were not compulsory subjects, and I got 35% for Maths in Grade 9. I was advised by the principal never to walk into another Maths class again. So I didn't.

At college, out of 21 examinations (both practical and theory) in 4 years, I got 15 distinctions. I could have done better had I pulled my finger out my ass.

Mark
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
when there was enough effort, A's and B's.

Zmey Gorynych
11-20-2012, 12:12 AM
I was always a good student. I liked social sciences better. The only time when my grades went a little low was my 3rd year at the university due to the weird emotional state I was in at that time. I was very antisocial and sometimes violent, at one point I told a professor that I'll kick his ass if he wouldn't shut up, insulted another female professor by calling her a stupid cow (which she was) in front of an entire classroom. Man, I was a difficult f#cker.

Leon_C
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I did well in sciences especially chemistry, usually I got over 90% (A*) maths I didn't really put much effort in, I never studies and ended up with 70-80% (B) , History I usually got around 80% (A)
English and literature I got about 70% (B)

Smaug
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Here in Brazil we use a 0-10 grade system. I have always been good in Math and Physics, that's why I chose to become and engineer. I always got quite bad grades in Portuguese, but good ones in English, so Languages it's quite divided. About History and Geography, I always liked it, so my grades were quite good also.

Atlantic Islander
11-20-2012, 12:58 AM
All A's except for Math.

Partizan
11-23-2012, 03:58 PM
VERY good at history, geography and literature,
Good at grammar and language(Deutsch and English)
Average at science(I did not receive this lesson after second year of highschool because of my branch)

And the worst one was Maths...

Corvus
11-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Good in math, accounting, biology, history, geography
average in German, physics

bad in Italian
very bad in English (I had to repeat because of my inabilty to learn English, no joke)

Blackout
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I went to a Grammar school. Started off great, but went downhill over the years, as the teachers would never check my homework. For example I did my 'Courseworks' but was too lazy to hand them in. I was more interested in listening to music... :picard1:

Science 90 - 100%
Maths 90 - 100%
Electronics 90 - 100%

Zack_Fair
11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Science - 70-80%
Mathematics - <70%
Social Science - 80-90%
Language - 90-100%
What were your favourites? I love Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Hindi, Computer classes, Economics and Algebra.

iNird
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
High school pretty much top marks (90-100%.) But then again high school is a joke in the states.

College was a bit tougher but I had near top marks there as well.

Kale
11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Mostly A's and a few B's in high school. Couldn't do college, my brain was destroyed because of grade school.

Dacul
11-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Well depends when my grades were not constant.
In last 2 years of University my grades were between 80% and 100% but before ,between 50% and 80%,lol.
Between classes 1 till 8th I got 90%-100% grades after that depending,meh.

EagleAtHeart
11-25-2012, 04:02 PM
My grades were fairly average in undergrad. I did enough to get by. I majored in Math because I absolutely loath writing essays. With Natural Science courses you just study and write tests.

However, surprisingly, I averaged B's in my Humanities classes, which were my highest grades.

EagleAtHeart
11-25-2012, 04:09 PM
In High School there wasn't a year where I wasn't the worst student in a lot of my classes. I never attended... too busy sleeping in, playing video games, or doing drugs/hooking up with girls.

University Undergrad I did better. A couple 80%, but mostly 50%-60%'s.

I scored almost perfect on my GMAT and LSAT, however, so that made up for my low average. Those high scores + good looks is what got me into an MBA/JD joint degree I'm in now.

Querubín
11-25-2012, 04:21 PM
I was good student but very lazy. I was always sleeping in class and i only have my backpack to change the books. In social studies, i was always the best in my classroom cos i used to have a good base. Learning outside the classroom. In syntactic also was the best, but I dropped the note literature because not study anything. In math excelled in geometry, was what I liked best. The Spanish education system is lousy. This made ​​for unintelligent people, and now is even worse than when I studied at school (i went to a private school, i never went to a high school)

Kazimiera
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
---> moved to Education