PDA

View Full Version : Would you marry your Cousin?

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
In some cultures cousin marriages are encouraged, due to variety of reasons one is because to hold the family together rather than introduce strangers and the others because to keep the power and wealth in the family. Cousin marriages are not considered incest, and others encourage intermarrying your cousin through the maternal line rather than the paternal one. There continues to be debate if cousin marriages are problematic or not.

Pallantides
07-31-2012, 10:07 PM
No.

Anatolian Eagle
07-31-2012, 10:08 PM
No.

Hurrem sultana
07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
NO

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
I would not either, but it's interesting that some cultures even encourage the practice. In the U.S apparently it was practiced by some communities.

sturmwalkure
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Eww, No is the answer.

arcticwolf
07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7J7PSAPZ5sM/Tek1lKgVIwI/AAAAAAAACKg/BjmPmD33jLM/s1600/facepalm-lion-facepalm.jpg

Furnace
07-31-2012, 10:12 PM
I think you are little obsessed with your cousin. :)

And to answer the question: No

Just look at pakis that marry their cousins, they end up with disorders from all the inbreeding.

Dacul
07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
How about Pallantides female cousins,would you be interested in those rather?
:p
So we could change the question :
"Would you marry Pallantides cousins?".
Sure pictures are needed.

Queen B
07-31-2012, 10:22 PM
No. Of course not.

Ushtari
07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Would you hit your Cousin?

SilverKnight
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Sry but ew noo. We're cousins distantly, no more then 50th. But 1st, 2nd , 3rd cousins not my stuff..

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:25 PM
I think you are little obsessed with your cousin. :)

Lol my cousin is already married and has daughter. Never was interested in marrying any of my cousins lol.

Just look at pakis that marry their cousins, they end up with disorders from all the inbreeding.

True, yet some say there is no harm in it, so the debate seems to continue, I do agree that marrying your cousin is rather a bad idea especially for the future offspring. The practice is very strong in some areas of the Middle East and South Asia, but it has been eroded slowly which is step in the positive direction.

SilverKnight
07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
would you?

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Would you hit your Cousin?

Nope.

would you?

I already said No, plus all my cousins are married.

Han Cholo
07-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm sure there was a further psychological motivation behind the posting of this thread.

Midori
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
No..:icon_confused:

The Lawspeaker
07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
How about: "HELL NO !"
You MENA-people have some really weird obsessions.

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm sure there was a further psychological motivation behind the posting of this thread.

Explain what you mean?

CelticViking
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
There are lots of other beautiful families so I don't need to breed into my own.

Lithium
07-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I would never do that. In Bulgaria we recognise all cousins to the 4th generation, even more distant. I do consider that to be wicked and incest.

Loki
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
What type of cousin? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? ... etc?

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
What type of cousin? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? ... etc?

Iam refering to 1st. In China for example you are allowed to marry your 1st cousin but it has to be maternal, this tradition seem to be found among the Azeris. However among the Samaritans of Israel they encourage both intermarrying with your 1st cousins from both lineages. In the Caucasus it's practiced in a similar fashion, but it died out due to Russian influence in the region, the tribal elders were often from first cousin marriages.

Azalea
07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
No, but a lot of my family members, including my parents, are related to their spouses. None of my cousins are though. It's not common anymore in my family.

Loki
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Iam refering to 1st.

Then the answer is a clear 'no' from me. Genetic diversity is healthy for offspring.

Contra Mundum
07-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Cousin dating and marrying is taboo in America. Even 3rd and 4th cousin. It really sucked in high school, because the best looking girls at my school were my cousins.

StonyArabia
07-31-2012, 11:08 PM
No, but a lot of my family members, including my parents, are related to their spouses. None of my cousins are though. It's not common anymore in my family.

I see, in my family none is related to their spouses, and my parents are not related to each other at all, which I believe this is good,and I am glad that this tradition is actually dying out. My family have often taken spouses from different stocks from themselves like in my paternal family the wife of my Uncle is Crimean Tatar, and another is Russian, and in my maternal family they intermixed with Anglo-Americans, British and Anglo-Canadians. Thankfully this tradition is not common in my family. As well all my cousins took spouses from complete different cultures like one of my cousin who is a half breed and she married a British guy, and one on my paternal lineage married some Canadian fellow.

Ushtari
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
nope, and forbidden culture-vise

Contra Mundum
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Then the answer is a clear 'no' from me. Genetic diversity is healthy for offspring.

That's not always the case. You would have healthier offspring by marrying a first cousin who has no family history of genetic diseases, than you would if you married someone unrelated to you, who has had a parent or sibling die young of heart disease, cancer or some other disease.

It may seem odd to some, but I would avoid getting into close relationships with women who came from a family with a lot of health problems. Having children with such a person could cause heartbreak later, because your children would have a much higher chance of dying young.

Skrondsze
07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
My grandparents from my mother side were first-degree cousins, they had 12 children and all of them were beautiful. When they married he was 36 and she was 16. Today he would be 104 years old and my grandmother is 84. Nothing wrong with that.

He was a cult man who could speak 5 languages, knew a lot of a literature and a bit of science and math despite living in a village with 500 people. He educated my grandmother (his wife) since she was 14 and prepared her for marriage. They were very happy. Their marriage lasted 50 years (until he died). I never met him :(. My mother's family mostly interbreed between themselves. Despite being almost 500 years old they still look pure portuguese, something somewhat rare for a brazilian family.

Welter
07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
No.

iNird
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
No it's unthinkable. We are not even allowed to marry someone from a certain villages because they are considered too close.

Lumi
07-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Simple answer. Hell fucking no.

Mraz
07-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Nah...It's neither normal nor moral to do so.

~Nik~
07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Definitely no...even if it is a norm here in Lower Illyria.

Sultan Suleiman
07-31-2012, 11:41 PM
There are lots of other beautiful families so I don't need to breed into my own.

You gotta keep them blue eyes in the family CV :)

Sultan Suleiman
07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Simple answer. Hell fucking no.

That's not exactly a simple answer...

Contra Mundum
07-31-2012, 11:44 PM
This article seems to contradict itself. Not sure what to believe.

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/aug/featkiss/

Health & Medicine / Family Health
Go Ahead, Kiss Your Cousin

Heck, marry her if you want to

In Paris in 1876 a 31-year-old banker named Albert took an 18-year-old named Bettina as his wife. Both were Rothschilds, and they were cousins. According to conventional notions about inbreeding, their marriage ought to have been a prescription for infertility and enfeeblement.
In fact, Albert and Bettina went on to produce seven children, and six of them lived to be adults. Moreover, for generations the Rothschildfamily had been inbreeding almost as intensively as European royalty, without apparent ill effect. Despite his own limited gene pool, Albert, for instance, was an outdoorsman and the seventh person ever to climb the Matterhorn. The American du Ponts practiced the same strategy of cousin marriage for a century. Charles Darwin, the grandchild of first cousins, married a first cousin. So did Albert Einstein.
In our lore, cousin marriages are unnatural, the province of hillbillies and swamp rats, not Rothschilds and Darwins. In the United States they are deemed such a threat to mental health that 31 states have outlawed first-cousin marriages. This phobia is distinctly American, a heritage of early evolutionists with misguided notions about the upward march of human societies. Their fear was that cousin marriages would cause us to breed our way back to frontier savagery—or worse. "You can't marry your first cousin," a character declares in the 1982 play Brighton Beach Memoirs. "You get babies with nine heads."
So when a team of scientists led by Robin L. Bennett, a genetic counselor at the University of Washington and the president of the National Society of Genetic Counselors, announced that cousin marriages are not significantly riskier than any other marriage, it made the front page of The New York Times. The study, published in the Journal of Genetic Counseling last year, determined that children of first cousins face about a 2 to 3 percent higher risk of birth defects than the population at large. To put it another way, first-cousin marriages entail roughly the same increased risk of abnormality that a woman undertakes when she gives birth at 41 rather than at 30. Banning cousin marriages makes about as much sense, critics argue, as trying to ban childbearing by older women.
But the nature of cousin marriage is far more surprising than recent publicity has suggested. A closer look reveals that moderate inbreeding has always been the rule, not the exception, for humans. Inbreeding is also commonplace in the natural world, and contrary to our expectations, some biologists argue that this can be a very good thing. It depends in part on the degree of inbreeding.

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/aug/featkiss/cousin_2.gif
Can you marry a cousin?
Laws governing the marriage of first cousins vary widely. In 24 states (pink), such marriages are illegal. In 19 states (green), first cousins are permitted to wed. Seven states (peach) allow first-cousin marriage but with conditions. Maine, for instance, requires genetic counseling; some states say yes only if one partner is sterile. North Carolina prohibits marriage only for double first cousins. Got that?

The idea that inbreeding might sometimes be beneficial is clearly contrarian. So it's important to acknowledge first that inbreeding can sometimes also go horribly wrong—and in ways that, at first glance, make our stereotypes about cousin marriage seem completely correct.
In the Yorkshire city of Bradford, in England, for instance, a majority of the large Pakistani community can trace their origins to the village of Mirpur in Kashmir, which was inundated by a new dam in the 1960s. Cousin marriages have been customary in Kashmir for generations, and more than 85 percent of Bradford's Pakistanis marry their cousins. Local doctors are seeing sharp spikes in the number of children with serious genetic disabilities, and each case is its own poignant tragedy. One couple was recently raising two apparently healthy children. Then, when they were 5 and 7, both were diagnosed with neural degenerative disease in the same week. The children are now slowly dying. Neural degenerative diseases are eight times more common in Bradford than in the rest of the United Kingdom.
The great hazard of inbreeding is that it can result in the unmasking of deleterious recessives, to use the clinical language of geneticists. Each of us carries an unknown number of genes—an individual typically has between five and seven—capable of killing our children or grandchildren. These so-called lethal recessives are associated with diseases like cystic fibrosis and sickle-cell anemia.
Most lethal genes never get expressed unless we inherit the recessive form of the gene from both our mother and father. But when both parents come from the same gene pool, their children are more likely to inherit two recessives.
So how do scientists reconcile the experience in Bradford with the relatively moderate level of risk reported in the Journal of Genetic Counseling? How did Rothschilds or Darwins manage to marry their cousins with apparent impunity? Above all, how could any such marriages ever possibly be beneficial?
The traditional view of human inbreeding was that we did it, in essence, because we could not get the car on Saturday night. Until the past century, families tended to remain in the same area for generations, and men typically went courting no more than about five miles from home—the distance they could walk out and back on their day off from work. As a result, according to Robin Fox, a professor of anthropology at Rutgers University, it's likely that 80 percent of all marriages in history have been between second cousins or closer.

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/aug/featkiss/cousin_3.gif
Global Inbreeding
Researchers who study inbreeding track consanguineous marriages—those between second cousins or closer. In green countries, at least 20 percent and, in some cases, more than 50 percent of marriages fall into this category. Pink countries report 1 to 10 percent consanguinity; peach-colored countries, less than 1 percent. Data is unavailable for white countries.

Factors other than mere proximity can make inbreeding attractive. Pierre-Samuel du Pont, founder of an American dynasty that believed in inbreeding, hinted at these factors when he told his family: "The marriages that I should prefer for our colony would be between the cousins. In that way we should be sure of honesty of soul and purity of blood." He got his wish, with seven cousin marriages in the family during the 19th century. Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the banking family, likewise arranged his affairs so that cousin marriages among his descendants were inevitable. His will barred female descendants from any direct inheritance. Without an inheritance, female Rothschilds had few possible marriage partners of the same religion and suitable economic and social stature—except other Rothschilds. Rothschild brides bound the family together. Four of Mayer's granddaughters married grandsons, and one married her uncle. These were hardly people whose mate choice was limited by the distance they could walk on their day off.
Some families have traditionally chosen inbreeding as the best strategy for success because it offers at least three highly practical benefits. First, such marriages make it likelier that a shared set of cultural values will pass down intact to the children.
Second, cousin marriages make it more likely that spouses will be compatible, particularly in an alien environment. Such marriages may be even more attractive for Pakistanis in Bradford, England, than back home in Kashmir. Intermarriage decreases the divorce rate and enhances the independence of wives, who retain the support of familiar friends and relatives. Among the 19th-century du Ponts, for instance, women had an equal vote with men in family meetings.
Finally, marrying cousins minimizes the need to break up family wealth from one generation to the next. The rich have frequently chosen inbreeding as a means to keep estates intact and consolidate power.
Moderate inbreeding may also produce biological benefits. Contrary to lore, cousin marriages may do even better than ordinary marriages by the standard Darwinian measure of success, which is reproduction. A 1960 study of first-cousin marriages in 19th-century England done by C. D. Darlington, a geneticist at Oxford University, found that inbred couples produced twice as many great-grandchildren as did their outbred counterparts.
Consider, for example, the marriage of Albert and Bettina Rothschild. Their children were descended from a genetic pool of just 24 people (beginning with family founders Mayer Amschel and Gutle Rothschild), and more than three-fifths of them were born Rothschilds. In a family that had not inbred, the same children would have 38 ancestors. Because of inbreeding, they were directly descended no fewer than six times each from Mayer and Gutle Rothschild. If our subconscious Darwinian agenda is to get as much of our genome as possible into future generations, then inbreeding clearly provided a genetic benefit for Mayer and Gutle.
And for their descendants? How could the remarkably untroubled reproductive experience of intermarried Rothschilds differ so strikingly from that of intermarried families in Bradford?
The consequences of inbreeding are unpredictable and depend largely on what biologists call the founder effect: If the founding couple pass on a large number of lethal recessives, as appears to have happened in Bradford, these recessives will spread and double up through intermarriage. If, however, Mayer and Gutle Rothschild handed down a comparatively healthy genome, their descendants could safely intermarry for generations—at least until small deleterious effects inevitably began to pile up and produce inbreeding depression, a long-term decline in the well-being of a family or a species.
A founding couple can also pass on advantageous genes. Among animal populations, generations of inbreeding frequently lead to the development of coadapted gene complexes, suites of genetic traits that tend to be inherited together. These traits may confer special adaptations to a local environment, like resistance to disease.
The evidence for such benefits in humans is slim, perhaps in part because any genetic advantages conferred by inbreeding may be too small or too gradual to detect. Alan Bittles, a professor of human biology at Edith Cowan University in Australia, points out that there's a dearth of data on the subject of genetic disadvantages too. Not until some rare disorder crops up in a place like Bradford do doctors even notice intermarriage.
Something disturbingly eugenic about the idea of better-families-through-inbreeding also causes researchers to look away. Oxford historian Niall Ferguson, author of The House of Rothschild, speculates that that there may have been "a Rothschild 'gene for financial acumen,' which intermarriage somehow helped to perpetuate. Perhaps it was that which made the Rothschilds truly exceptional." But he quickly dismisses this as "unlikely."
At the same time, humans are perfectly comfortable with the idea that inbreeding can produce genetic benefits for domesticated animals. When we want a dog with the points to take Best in Show at Madison Square Garden, we often get it by taking individuals displaying the desired traits and "breeding them back" with their close kin.
Researchers have observed that animals in the wild may also attain genetic benefits from inbreeding. Ten mouse colonies may set up housekeeping in a field but remain separate. The dominant male in each colony typically inbreeds with his kin. His genes rapidly spread through the colony—the founder effect again—and each colony thus becomes a little different from the others, with double recessives proliferating for both good and ill effects. When the weather changes or some deadly virus blows through, one colony may end up better adapted to the new circumstances than the other nine, which die out.
Inbreeding may help explain why insects can develop resistance almost overnight to pesticides like DDT: The resistance first shows up as a recessive trait in one obscure family line. Inbreeding, with its cascade of double recessives, causes the trait to be expressed in every generation of this family—and under the intense selective pressure of DDT, this family of resistant insects survives and proliferates.

The obvious problem with this contrarian argument is that so many animals seem to go out of their way to avoid inbreeding. Field biologists have often observed that animals reared together from an early age become imprinted on one another and lack mutual sexual interest as adults; they have an innate aversion to homegrown romance.
But what they are avoiding, according to William Shields, a biologist at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse, is merely incest, the most extreme form of inbreeding, not inbreeding itself. He argues that normal patterns of dispersal actually encourage inbreeding. When young birds leave the nest, for instance, they typically move four or five home ranges away, not 10 or 100; that is, they stay within breeding distance of their cousins. Intense loyalty to a home territory helps keep a population healthy, according to Shields, because it encourages "optimal inbreeding." This elusive ideal is the point at which a population gets the benefit of adaptations to local habitat—the coadapted gene complexes—without the hazardous unmasking of recessive disorders.
In some cases, outbreeding can be the real hazard. A study conducted by E. L. Brannon, an ecologist at the University of Idaho, looked at two separate populations of sockeye salmon, one breeding where a river entered a lake, the other where it exited. Salmon fry at the inlet evolved to swim downstream to the lake. The ones at the outlet evolved to swim upstream. When researchers crossed the populations, they ended up with salmon young too confused to know which way to go. In the wild, such a hybrid population might lose half or more of its fry and soon vanish.
It is, of course, a long way from sockeye salmon and inbred insects to human mating behavior. But Patrick Bateson, a professor of ethology at Cambridge University, argues that outbreeding has at times been hazardous for humans too. For instance, the size and shape of our teeth is a strongly inherited trait. So is jaw size and shape. But the two traits aren't inherited together. If a woman with small jaws and small teeth marries a man with big jaws and big teeth, their grandchildren may end up with a mouthful of gnashers in a Tinkertoy jaw. Before dentistry was commonplace, Bateson adds, "ill-fitting teeth were probably a serious cause of mortality because it increased the likelihood of abscesses in the mouth." Marrying a cousin was one way to avoid a potentially lethal mismatch.
Bateson suggests that while youngsters imprinting on their siblings lose sexual interest in one another they may also gain a search image for a mate—someone who's not a sibling but like a sibling. Studies have shown that people overwhelmingly choose spouses similar to themselves, a phenomenon called assortative mating. The similarities are social, psychological, and physical, even down to traits like earlobe length. Cousins, Bateson says, perfectly fit this human preference for "slight novelty."
So where does this leave us? No scientist is advocating intermarriage, but the evidence indicates that we should at least moderate our automatic disdain for it. One unlucky woman, whom Robin Bennett encountered in the course of her research, recalled the reaction when she became pregnant after living with her first cousin for two years. Her gynecologist professed horror, told her the baby "would be sick all the time," and advised her to have an abortion. Her boyfriend's mother, who was also her aunt, "went nuts, saying that our baby would be retarded." The woman had an abortion, which she now calls "the worst mistake of my life."
Science is increasingly able to help such people look at their own choices more objectively. Genetic and metabolic tests can now screen for about 100 recessive disorders. In the past, families in Bradford rarely recognized genetic origins of causes of death or patterns of abnormality. The likelihood of stigma within the community or racism from without also made people reluctant to discuss such problems. But new tests have helped change that. Last year two siblings in Bradford were hoping to intermarry their children despite a family history of thalassemia, a recessive blood disorder that is frequently fatal before the age of 30. After testing determined which of the children carried the thalassemia gene, the families were able to arrange a pair of carrier-to-noncarrier first-cousin marriages.
Such planning may seem complicated. It may even be the sort of thing that causes Americans, with their entrenched dread of inbreeding, to shudder. But the needs of both culture and medicine were satisfied, and an observer could only conclude that the urge to marry cousins must be more powerful, and more deeply rooted, than we yet understand.

Defiance
07-31-2012, 11:44 PM
:icon_ask:

No.

My grandparents from my mother side were first-degree cousins, they had 12 children and all of them were beautiful. When they married he was 36 and she was 16. Today he would be 104 years old and my grandmother is 84. Nothing wrong with that.

He was a cult man who could speak 5 languages, knew a lot of a literature and a bit of science and math despite living in a village with 500 people. He educated my grandmother (his wife) since she was 14 and prepared her for marriage. They were very happy. Their marriage lasted 50 years (until he died). I never met him :(. My mother's family mostly interbreed between themselves. Despite being almost 500 years old they still look pure portuguese, something somewhat rare for a brazilian family.
Actually, there is plenty wrong with that. Sorry, but that is F**KED - UP.

Contra Mundum
07-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Liberals say it's healthier to have children with someone of another race. They never provide any evidence to back that up though.

They actually believe marrying within your race is inbreeding. :rolleyes2:

The Lawspeaker
07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Liberals say it's healthier to have children with someone of another race. They never provide any evidence to back that up though.

With all due respect but that's just pure Quatsch !

~Nik~
07-31-2012, 11:52 PM

I agree, a too big dispersion of genes seems to be rather unhealthy. And not only because the half-breed would have psychological problems.

Skrondsze
07-31-2012, 11:55 PM
:icon_ask:

No.

Actually, there is plenty wrong with that. Sorry, but that is F**KED - UP.

What is wrong with that then? Don't you have arguments to sustain your claim?

Sultan Suleiman
08-01-2012, 12:02 AM

Just a bit weird...

Defiance
08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Go back and read the post in question again if you need to. Do you really, truly not understand how one could find that story powerfully disturbing for a variety of reasons?

Pallantides
08-01-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd marry your cousin.

Contra Mundum
08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I'd marry your cousin.

Would you marry Obama's long lost cousin?
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_587/12989978795FX7hq.jpg

Pallantides
08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Would you marry Obama's long lost cousin?
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_587/12989978795FX7hq.jpg

No, Obama is not member of the forum...

Skrondsze
08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Go back and read the post in question again if you need to. Do you really, truly not understand how one could find that story powerfully disturbing for a variety of reasons?

Nop. You tell me or I'll think you are trying to troll me. If you want I can add more facts. All the girls (my aunts) are married and none of them divorced (except for one whose husband died) and all the men are either laywers, doctors or engineers. I have an uncle who is a supreme court judge (I posted him here for classification if you are interested). Another uncle who has a fortune (he's an engineer) of more than 100 million dollars and everybody is educated, no drug addicts, gays, or anything similar. What is wrong? You tell me?

Arthas
08-01-2012, 01:24 AM
I would marry my cousin, assuming that a.) She is female and b.) She is reasonably attractive.

However, I would only do it in a society where cousin-marriages are socially acceptable, and in circumstances where both sets of parents were fine with it, and preferably were the ones who arranged it.

MST3K
08-01-2012, 01:37 AM
NO

~Nik~
08-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Nop. You tell me or I'll think you are trying to troll me. If you want I can add more facts. All the girls (my aunts) are married and none of them divorced (except for one whose husband died) and all the men are either laywers, doctors or engineers. I have an uncle who is a supreme court judge (I posted him here for classification if you are interested). Another uncle who has a fortune (he's an engineer) of more than 100 million dollars and everybody is educated, no drug addicts, gays, or anything similar. What is wrong? You tell me?

Are you Jewish by chance ?

Piparskeggr
08-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Several of my cousins are good looking, intelligent, strong willed women, which is the sort of woman I like.

However, I would not wed that close to my own parentage (if I were still looking).

Terek
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM
NO NO and a million times NO. That is culturally isolation and disgusting. Even the "good looking" cousin whose picture I posted, in the red shirt.... No.

Skrondsze
08-01-2012, 01:54 AM

As I said, my family is very old. They were "cristăos novos" (New Christians) which would mean that they converted to Catholicism about 550 years ago... Anyway, as far as I know they came to Brazil in the middle of the 16th century already without a jewish identity and 100% christians. So, the answer is no. But of course they alway had put much effort in education as most jews do.

Xenomorph
08-01-2012, 01:58 AM
No

~Nik~
08-01-2012, 01:59 AM
As I said, my family is very old. They were "cristăos novos" (New Christians) which would mean that they converted to Catholicism about 550 years ago... Anyway, as far as I know they came to Brazil in the middle of the 16th century already without a jewish identity and 100% christians. So, the answer is no. But of course they alway had put much effort in education as most jews do.

There are good chances that you had marranos ancestors in this case. And therefore of jewish origin.

Skrondsze
08-01-2012, 02:09 AM
There are good chances that you had marranos ancestors in this case. And therefore of jewish origin.

Probably. But that was already too much time ago... Anyway, my mother's family looks 100% portuguese. I have many relatives that live or lived in Portugal and they looked completely native. But that's also because portuguese people also have some jewish blood. Sometimes though, the jewish component looks very evident as I can show you (my uncle):

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51646

I also get mistaken as a jew countless times (I got my uncle's nose :D). When I lived abroad people first thought of me as italian (I'm 0% italian) and later Jew, Lebanese, Syrian, etc... Have you seen my pictures? Maybe I will post more now in the members pics thread...

When they came to Brazil they mostly interbreed up to my grandfather (cousin marriage). The only exception is that now my mom didn't marry her cousin :D. My father is fully spanish of recent immigration (non jew origin but I guess his origins might probably be Berber, Moorish).

Do you think my uncle looks Jewish?

~Nik~
08-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Probably. But that was already too much time ago... Anyway, my mother's family looks 100% portuguese. I have many relatives that live or lived in Portugal and they looked completely native. But that's also because portuguese people also have some jewish blood. Sometimes though, the jewish component looks very evident as I can show you (my uncle):

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51646

Your history and habits of your family reminds Jews. For me there is no doubt, especially the part with cousin marriage = preservation of the tribe.

I also get mistaken as a jew countless times (I got my uncle's nose :D). When I lived abroad people first thought of me as italian (I'm 0% italian) and later Jew, Lebanese, Syrian, etc... Have you seen my pictures? Maybe I will post more now in the members pics thread...

EDIT : I've just seen you, I think you can pass as a Sephardic Jew.

When they came to Brazil they mostly interbreed up to my grandfather (cousin marriage). The only exception is that now my mom didn't marry her cousin :D. My father is fully spanish of recent immigration (non jew origin but I guess his origins might probably be Berber, Moorish).

It is possible, reciprocity between Semites.

Do you think my uncle looks Jewish?

I would say yes, and I speak from experience because I have already seen an Armenian, non-European in appearance, with the same facial look (anyway he reminds me this Armenian).

CelticViking
08-01-2012, 02:31 AM
You gotta keep them blue eyes in the family CV :)

There are millions of people wth blue eyes.

Hong Key
08-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Nations are literally an extend family so I think marring someone who shares 2 out of 32 ancestors is just fine but marring someone who shares 2 out of 4 ancestors is gross.

1st cousins is very nasty. We’d have to be stuck on Mars or something and even then I wouldn’t want to. Also my cousins kids would not work. I’m like there uncle almost. yuck.

I got some 3rd cousins though that are damn fine looking ladies but that's still to weird, maybe after zombie apocolypse or White genocide I would. You figure if you share 2 of 8 great grand parents thats not to close but as of now there’s no reason for it you pervert.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/business/media/06lewis.html

rashka
08-01-2012, 02:48 AM
It would be like marrying my brother.

Defiance
08-01-2012, 04:25 AM
What is wrong? You tell me?
If you really don't get it, then I simply don't know what more to say. One would think that this would all be painfully obvious; apparently this is not the case with you.

But I'm going to assume that pretty much everyone else here probably agrees with me.

sturmwalkure
08-01-2012, 04:30 AM
I am kind of curious who voted yes.

Contra Mundum
08-01-2012, 04:51 AM

Not many Jewish engineers.

Lumi
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Having studied Human Biology, genetically it's a bad idea.
Because you still share genetics, the risks of passing on recessive genetics to your child through marrying your cousin are still considerably high. It would be like marrying your sibling, genetically speaking.
There's a reason why incest is illegal, and it's got nothing to do with religious morals.

Archduke
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
no.

Contra Mundum
08-01-2012, 09:24 AM
What if your cousin looked like this?
http://dislists.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/hot-chick.jpg

You don't have to have children ya know.

Sarmatian
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Before communist revolution in Russia there was a tradition to prevent marriages between relatives. The first step in preparing a wedding was a meeting of parents and grandparents from both sides where they recall all relatives they can. If they would've found a common relative anywhere back to seven generations they'd stop the wedding.

Its still sort of a rule these days. If two people know they're related by blood they will never consider intimate relationship nor marriage.

What if your cousin looked like this?
http://dislists.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/hot-chick.jpg

You don't have to have children ya know.

Doesn't change a thing. I do have an animal side with lust for a beautiful female body. But I'm a white man with well developed mind and soul, I can control my urges.

Mago
08-01-2012, 09:55 AM
marry... NO any distance. Do her yes if 3rd and above and with a big bootah. :picard1:

Ushtari
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
i know a case where two albo youths in teh diaspora got in love with each other. What they didnt knew was that they were related and their relatives then found out and got very mad and they were not allowed to see each other any more. It ended up with teh guy killing himself and then teh girl killed herself to because of that.

Anarch
08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
No, I wouldn't.

Zack_Fair
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
No.

Absinthe
08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
The only male cousin that I am aware of (my maternal grandmother's sister's son) is married already, and HELL NO, he is SUCH a bastard! :p
Neither my mother nor father have siblings so I have no 1st degree cousins. If I did, I wouldn't get married to any cousin of mine, that would be too weird.

Corvus
08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I have only male cousins

Ánleifr
08-02-2012, 07:55 PM
marry 1st cousin or marry outside of your race, which would you do?

Arthas
08-02-2012, 08:00 PM
marry 1st cousin or marry outside of your race, which would you do?

Depends what you define as race. I'd happily marry an Arab or a Caucasoid Turk, but not a Mongoloid or Negroid. I would marry a Mestizo if she was attractive and looked predominantly Caucasoid.

If the choice was between my first cousin (who doesn't exist because all my first cousins are male) or an Arab, I would go for the Arab, assuming that both of them were similar in attractiveness.

If the choice was between my first cousin (who doesn't exist because all my first cousins are male) or an East-Asian/African woman, I would definitely go for my first cousin.

Bobcat Fraser
08-03-2012, 03:43 AM
I have only male cousins

That doesn't answer the question. Would you marry one of them?:D

Stefan
08-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Not first cousins, and more likely not second cousins ( just because it's weird marrying a relative, not for genetic reasons.) Third cousins and less related, yes, but they can't be family who I considered close, if you understand.

Swarthist
09-05-2015, 06:32 AM
No. It only accelerates genetic stagnation.

Kazimiera
09-05-2015, 06:41 AM
No. I would not marry Loki. :D

Alially
09-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Absulately no

Böri
09-05-2015, 07:13 AM
No I would not. However people who do can't be seen bad religiously as this is authorised.

Brianna
09-05-2015, 07:19 AM
She's cute and nice, but I wouldn't marry her, even though gay marriage is legal now. I'm kidding. I would marry her. My male cousins are already married. Well, the single ones are too young. I don't date younger relatives. Yeah, I know. That's a pretty moralistic and puritanical stance, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and make a stand. By the way, I'm not serious. You never know. Some people take everything at face value. They might think that I really endorse inbreeding. I'm sometimes freaky but not THAT freaky. Of course, if I'm single in ten years,... ;)

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 07:04 PM
no i wouldnt however the question is a tad misleading.....if you never met that cousin who lives in another country then i think people will think twice. most people have neen brought up with their cousins, so they seem to them like siblings etc.

Linebacker
09-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Basically asking me do I want my children to look like that abdc213 guy.

Answer is no.

spanish catalan
09-12-2015, 07:05 PM
never!

Berahthraban
09-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Why would you do this, no for sure.

abcd123
09-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Basically asking me do I want my children to look like that abdc213 guy.

Answer is no.

Your children won't look like me,they will look deformed like you,ugly fuck.Only chance they'll look like me is if I can have the bride first.

Gooding
09-12-2015, 07:08 PM
I have a cousin who's nearly 20 years younger than I am who has dark hair, DDs and bright blue eyes. Yes, yes I would.

Shkembe Chorba
09-12-2015, 07:10 PM
How hot she is?

Berahthraban
09-12-2015, 07:10 PM
I have a cousin who's nearly 20 years younger than I am who has dark hair, DDs and bright blue eyes. Yes, yes I would.

Wouldn't you be worried about genetic diseases, if you were to have children with her?

Gooding
09-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Wouldn't you be worried about genetic diseases, if you were to have children with her?

I would, but the age difference is so vast and the rest of the family would probably be pretty irritated, so a little bit of hanky panky for a few months at most is all I could hope for.

Shkembe Chorba
09-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Rebel pride >> Cousin pride

Gooding
09-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Rebel pride >> Cousin pride

Nothin' spells lovin' like marryin' a cousin.

abcd123
09-12-2015, 07:15 PM
I would, but the age difference is so vast and the rest of the family would probably be pretty irritated, so a little bit of hanky panky for a few months at most is all I could hope for.

That's the southern way brothaaaa!

Gooding
09-12-2015, 07:15 PM
How hot she is?

Pretty damned hot.

Shkembe Chorba
09-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Pretty damned hot.

Pics or didnt happen, bud.

Gooding
09-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Pics or didnt happen, bud.

It didn't happen, then. I'm not showing Sian's pictures to the whole world. Anyway, she's taken by a fellow spelunker, if I'm not mistaken.

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 07:59 PM

theres a risk, however thats usually occurs when related marriages and their offspring has been going for a couple of generations.

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 08:00 PM
cousin marriages are much more common than people think. in the olden days, people would only marriage each other from the same village. most people would be distant cousins in that village occured by their forefathers marrying their cousins etc.

de Burgh II
09-12-2015, 08:07 PM
A person must be very desperate in this day and age if it ever came down to that.

Murri
09-12-2015, 08:13 PM
No, but I know a Montenegrin guy who told me he would if it was to get inheritance and richness.

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
A person must be very desperate in this day and age if it ever came down to that.

let me make this clear, i will never marry my cousin, however within the afghan community among other muslim communities, , marriiuages between cousins has happened, theres no denying that. its no out of being desperate, most do it because they think, nothing is thicker than blood, right? that will give their marriage a higher chance of being successful etc due to both spouses being related to one anothers parents, both familles, especially the girls family can trust their daughters life in the guys hands and family. also, nowadays most cousins dont get brought up among each other, so the "weirdness" wont really be THAT weird.

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 08:25 PM
im just shocked by the amount of shocked no's members have quickly reacted to, as far as i know, most of us are all cousins, atleast 20th cousins, all of this happened by marriages between related famillies by our forefathers.

de Burgh II
09-12-2015, 08:27 PM
let me make this clear, i will never marry my cousin, however within the afghan community among other muslim communities, , marriiuages between cousins has happened, theres no denying that. its no out of being desperate, most do it because they think, nothing is thicker than blood, right? that will give their marriage a higher chance of being successful etc due to both spouses being related to one anothers parents, both familles, especially the girls family can trust their daughters life in the guys hands and family. also, nowadays most cousins dont get brought up among each other, so the "weirdness" wont really be THAT weird.

Quite sensitive/emotional today are we?

'owight Gavnah
09-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Quite sensitive/emotional today are we?

ahaha nah man just bored atm

Brianna
09-19-2015, 06:05 AM

Your post does nothing to dispel stereotypes. ;) I wouldn't marry my cousin, but the genetic risks are greatly exaggerated by pop culture.

Charles Bronson
09-19-2015, 06:31 AM
You retard backward Arab.

Dandelion
09-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Why is the poll private? Percentages aren't interesting on forums. I voted 'no' anyhow.

I do believe it's no big deal if it's done for one generation. However, generation after generation of cousin marriage will increase the degree of inbreeding and is likely detrimental to offspring. That's not subject to debate. It's just a scientific fact.
So I wouldn't be worried if just my parents were cousins (they aren't, cousin marriage is a taboo here, but say if I were from a culture where it's encouraged), but I would if also my grandparents were and also their parents (and possibly blame them for any genetic disorder I might have).

A big reason why some cultures encourage it is not only to strengthen family ties, I believe, but also due to their repressive morality toward sexuality and tendency toward gender segregation.

Smitty
09-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Why is the poll private? Percentages aren't interesting on forums. I voted 'no' anyhow.

I do believe it's no big deal if it's done for one generation. However, generation after generation of cousin marriage will increase the degree of inbreeding and is likely detrimental to offspring.
So I wouldn't be worried if my parents were cousins (they aren't, cousin marriage is a taboo here), but I would if also my grandparents were and also their parents (and possible blame them for any genetic disorder I might have).

A big reason why some cultures encourage it is not only to strengthen family ties, I believe, but also due to their repressive morality toward sexuality and tendency toward gender segregation.

It's private because the 6 people who voted yes would be forced to pack up and leave by sheer weight of shame. :icon_yes:

Mortimer
09-19-2015, 06:42 AM
no

Brianna
09-19-2015, 07:06 AM
I do believe it's no big deal if it's done for one generation. However, generation after generation of cousin marriage will increase the degree of inbreeding and is likely detrimental to offspring.

This is true. Just ask the Hapsburgs' jaws.

European Knight
09-19-2015, 07:13 AM
if it is to marry only yes but having children no

Brianna
09-19-2015, 07:16 AM
no

What if she looked like Megan Fox? Tell the truth.

Mortimer
09-19-2015, 07:31 AM
What if she looked like Megan Fox? Tell the truth.

no

Mn The Loki TA Son
09-19-2015, 07:53 AM
If I was one of those redneck types, maybe.

Brianna
09-19-2015, 08:46 AM
If I was one of those redneck types, maybe.

Since when are British Pakistanis rednecks? ;)

Brianna
09-19-2015, 08:47 AM
no

Your nose (and something else) are growing.

Mortimer
09-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Since when are British Pakistanis rednecks? ;)

In Simpsons that one Redneck Family is portrayed inbred though. But probably its just propaganda i dont think rednecks do that.

his name is cletus lol

http://i.imgur.com/5sjw957.png

Mortimer
09-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Your nose (and something else) are growing.

im serious, would you marry your cousin if he looked like brad pitt? or even your brother i just dont see family that way

Brianna
09-19-2015, 08:51 AM
In Simpsons that one Redneck Family is portrayed inbred though. But probably its just propaganda i dont think rednecks do that.

his name is cletus lol

They immigrated from a Pakistani neighborhood in London. If it's on "The Simpsons", it must be true.

Brianna
09-19-2015, 08:54 AM
im serious, would you marry your cousin if he looked like brad pitt? or even your brother i just dont see family that way

I don't even have a brother, and I'm throwing up in my mouth. :yuck:

Fear Fiain
09-19-2015, 08:59 AM
if she was really hot and compatible and came on to me first, yeah. but all my cousins are male or 40, and even if they weren't my family are all liberal scum, lmao.

Fear Fiain
09-19-2015, 09:00 AM

his name is cletus lol

I know a redneck who's a political leader on the far right and two of his grandparents are first cousins...

Ylla
09-19-2015, 09:00 AM
My relationship with my cousins is like with my siblings so of course no. Im happy to come from a culture with close family,morality and tradition.

XvThomas_LysergicV
09-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Nope. I don't have a girl cousin I could marry anyway. If I had a step sister I would tap it but I wouldn't marry her. That's as far as I would go.

Visage pâle
09-19-2015, 11:10 AM
No way.

Nurzat
09-19-2015, 11:13 AM
a big YES! my female cousins look like top models, much better than any girl I dated, and I find it frustrating we cannot take advantage of our family's beauty resource. if not marrying, at least fornication :) God bless

Rugevit
09-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Marrying cousins is generally not accepted in our culture. I will not marry any of my cousins. Second cousins -- it depends. In some instances there 're marriages between second cousins, if these people have not grown up together feeling related.

Al-Meksiki
09-19-2015, 06:53 PM
I would not date nor marry anyone who I had verified blood relation too.

black hole
09-19-2015, 07:01 PM
There has to be a serious mental illness to marry your own cousin. It's so goddamn disgusting! :picard1:

Nurzat
09-19-2015, 08:27 PM
There has to be a serious mental illness to marry your own cousin. It's so goddamn disgusting! :picard1:

whaa? :picard2: I beg to differ

black hole
09-19-2015, 08:32 PM
whaa? :picard2: I beg to differ

okay :lol: :lol:

sql
09-19-2015, 08:34 PM
If I was engaged and I found she was a distant cousin, that's one thing, but no to what you're referring to.

Paris-Brest
09-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Never...It's disgusting IMO.

Watch_Owl
09-19-2015, 08:47 PM
I have had crushes on my cousin before. I really do see them though. I don't think we're compatible personalities in the long run. They were straight though.

sql
09-19-2015, 08:52 PM
I know a redneck who's a political leader on the far right and two of his grandparents are first cousins...

I'd like to see pics :lol:

Nebuchadnezzar
09-19-2015, 08:56 PM
I would not either, but it's interesting that some cultures even encourage the practice. In the U.S apparently it was practiced by some communities.

Casts Taqqiya spell.... 45 Damage, 20 XP

Lulz..... you just forgot how popular cousin marriage is among arabs, especially those of a *cough* bedouin *cough* *cough* heritage....

Arabic inter-marriage puts US redneck numbers to shame.....

Odin
09-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Nope.

Hoxhaism
09-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Never, barf

Kazimiera
09-16-2017, 08:56 PM
I love Loki but not that much. :D

al-Bosni
09-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Yes.

jingorex
09-16-2017, 09:01 PM
....is she rich?

:icon_neutral::icon_neutral:

♥ Lily ♥
09-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Never. I couldn't even begin to imagine that without shivering and feeling queasy. Incestuous relationships are revolting and inbreeding is harmful. How could you even think of such creepy things? :confused:

:confused::confused:

Kazimiera
09-16-2017, 09:07 PM
....is she rich?

:icon_neutral::icon_neutral:

No, she's Mary.

Loki
09-16-2017, 09:10 PM
I love Loki but not that much. :D

:lol:

crazyladybutterfly
09-16-2017, 09:12 PM
not my mothernal ones as i grew up with them and it would be awkward
the pathernal ones are like other people to me

Gangrel
09-16-2017, 09:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

Mortimer
09-17-2017, 04:02 AM
never

Arduti
09-17-2017, 04:11 AM
100% yes. But this doesn't mean they would marry me.

For a modern world where anything goes, I am surprised people have such an issue with it.
Perhaps because it's a traditional practice...
But I like traditions.

I don't have any available male cousins of marriageable age anyway.

Loki
09-17-2017, 04:16 AM

For a modern world where anything goes, I am surprised people have such an issue with it.
But I like traditions.

I don't have an issue with it, as long as the individuals are not genetically too close.. because that could result in genetic deformities. First cousins usually not a good idea, but more distant cousins... no problem with me.

Kriptc06
09-17-2017, 04:16 AM
Yes I would, and the first girl I kissed was my first cousin.
Thinking now, maybe I don't think it would be a good idea, we both have the same heart disease, a possible child would be screwed as this is recessive.

Decius
09-17-2017, 04:22 AM
No

catgeorge
09-17-2017, 04:36 AM
Ewwwwww

:puke:

The only thing family members should be more actively involved in is organized marriages. Which for some stupid reason has been phased out...but shouldn't.

Finnish Swede
09-17-2017, 04:40 AM
What kind of question is this?

Nope, Never!

Loki
09-17-2017, 04:44 AM
The only thing family members should be more actively involved in is organized marriages. Which for some stupid reason has been phased out...but shouldn't.

Yes I agree actually. Good idea.

Tattoo
09-17-2017, 05:04 AM
No because limiting marriage to cousins doesn't really allow a person to marry for love but because it is what is encouraged. I am for finding love outside of family on your own!

JohnSmith
09-17-2017, 05:08 AM

But I like traditions.

You are not referring to your first cousin I hope.

Harley
09-17-2017, 08:53 AM
There's no need for me to marry my cousin. However, hooking up with your cousin is usually a running joke in Samoan culture.

I'm not into this. It would be too weird. It's already weird when my husband and I get mistaken for identical twins, siblings, and more recently, father and daughter lol.

Maria Sharapova
09-17-2017, 09:56 AM
No way, esp for a first cousin. 12.5% identical DNA is wayyy too much (!)
https://www.joshuakennon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/dna-shared-between-relatives.png

Black Panther
09-17-2017, 10:06 AM
I would if I were an old man marrying an old cousin. But I would not do it as a young man.

sean
08-04-2019, 02:45 PM
No.

Cousins are too close, second and third cousins are genetically distant enough that there's no real risk of inbreeding complications.

Ayetooey
08-04-2019, 02:52 PM
No.

RenaRyuguu
08-04-2019, 02:52 PM
First cousin is a bit sick really like lmao

nittionia
08-04-2019, 02:53 PM
No they are like my bros and sisters

Seya
08-04-2019, 02:59 PM
No and in Romania is not even legal.

coolfrenchguy
08-04-2019, 02:59 PM
no and i haven't cousin so problem solved

RandomGuy20
08-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Hell nah

Kaspias
08-04-2019, 03:02 PM
No fucking way

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2019, 10:07 PM
No.

TheOldNorth
08-04-2019, 10:13 PM
No

Moje ime
08-05-2019, 08:35 AM
This is big taboo in my country and culture and I believe it is the same in all east Europe. Nobody would even think about this.
Traditionally in past people would always marry with someone from another village for this reason. It's weird reading this was actually opposite in some parts of the world.
In Serbian culture there is a knowledge that you should not marry up to 10th cousin, that shows how strong this taboo always was in people's minds.

This is a list of Serbian kinship, there are even names for 10th and more distant ancestors.
https://familypedia.wikia.org/wiki/Serbian_kinship

Personally I find this question weird and if I speak rationally why would someone wanted to marry even distand cousin (legally allowed) when there is so much other people, when he in that case basically loses a cousin who can have like brother/sister.

Maintenance
08-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Hell no.

Roy
08-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Ewww ... no, unless some very, very distant cousin. We're all distantly related, don't fool yourself. Even simple math could tell you that once you multiply your number of ancestors in the assumed way, you just see that in a more recent or distant past your ancestors had to be blood-related.

This is big taboo in my country and culture and I believe it is the same in all east Europe. Nobody would even think about this.
Traditionally in past people would always marry with someone from another village for this reason. It's weird reading this was actually opposite in some parts of the world.
In Serbian culture there is a knowledge that you should not marry up to 10th cousin, that shows how strong this taboo always was in people's minds.

This is a list of Serbian kinship, there are even names for 10th and more distant ancestors.
https://familypedia.wikia.org/wiki/Serbian_kinship

Personally I find this question weird and if I speak rationally why would someone wanted to marry even distand cousin (legally allowed) when there is so much other people, when he in that case basically loses a cousin who can have like brother/sister.

In many parts of Europe or among aristocrats / nobles it wasn't taboo though. My great-grandmother told me a story about his uncle was supposed to marry his cousin back in 1890s, but there was a change in plans because unbeknownst to the rest he fell in love with a different girl few months before.

BTW. I find it very interesting that Slavic people like Poles or Serbs have such a rich vocabulary for various kinships unlike the English for instance.

Moje ime
08-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Ewww ... no, unless some very, very distant cousin. We're all distantly related, don't fool yourself. Even simple math could tell you that once you multiply your number of ancestors in the assumed way, you just see that in a more recent or distant past your ancestors had to be blood-related.

In many parts of Europe or among aristocrats / nobles it wasn't taboo though. My great-grandmother (born in 1922) who was supposed to marry his cousin, but there was a change in plans because unbeknownst to the rest he fell in love with a different girl few months before.

It didn't happen among Serbian aristocracy. I thought it is only tradition for Germans.

RenaRyuguu
08-05-2019, 09:14 AM
It didn't happen among Serbian aristocracy. I thought it is only tradition for Germans.

And now we know that ethnic Germans are actually Serbs so thats interesting

Roy
08-05-2019, 09:19 AM
There's no need for me to marry my cousin. However, hooking up with your cousin is usually a running joke in Samoan culture.

I'm not into this. It would be too weird. It's already weird when my husband and I get mistaken for identical twins, siblings, and more recently, father and daughter lol.

:eek: :cry :rotfl

Thracian
08-05-2019, 09:25 AM
No.

MiloshN
08-05-2019, 09:45 AM
OMG, NO!

08-05-2019, 09:48 AM
I wouldn’t

Arsen_
08-05-2019, 10:55 AM
No, of course not, the Armenian church forbids such marriages and Armenian society do not accept it.

But I must confess that in my deep childhood I alternately fell in love with almost all my sister-cousins and I've got a lot of them. They were so beautiful and exciting to me that if there weren’t taboo and social prohibitions, I might go for one. xD

RenaRyuguu
10-12-2021, 03:49 AM
no I want genetic diversity look what happened to the royal families with inbreeding the looks and stuff

Blondie
10-12-2021, 03:57 AM
Before the click, i thought the OP is middle eastern, i was 100% sure :picard2::rotfl:

Celestia
10-12-2021, 03:58 AM
maybe if i was in texas

Dick
10-12-2021, 04:02 AM
definitely if i was in texas

Dick
10-12-2021, 04:03 AM
Before the click, i thought the OP is middle eastern, i was 100% sure :picard2::rotfl:

I think he ended up marrying his cousin

Celestia
10-12-2021, 04:05 AM
definitely if i was in texas

hypothetically speaking if we were both in texas i would definitely marry you, but unfortunately we're not cousins.

Dick
10-12-2021, 04:08 AM
hypothetically speaking if we were both in texas i would definitely marry you, but unfortunately we're not cousins.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/25XSdDAuIYnWhPuZvm/200.gif

Mitryejd
10-12-2021, 04:43 AM
maybe if i was a habsburg member

HectorOfTroy
10-13-2021, 06:13 AM
lol at racists saying marrying cousins is better than mixed race marriages. how many athletes are inbred? now compare to how many athletes are mixed race (a lot)

El_Jibaro
10-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Fuck no lol, but my ancestors on the line of my maternal great-grandmother did for some generations...:bullet puke

Erronkari
10-13-2021, 12:26 PM
Not at all… yuck.
I am married, and my wife is from more than 5K kilometers where I am from.