PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft goes cold on Hotmail

Holle Bolle Gijss
08-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Microsoft goes cold on Hotmail

August 1, 2012 3:04 pm

San Francisco - Microsoft is pulling the plug on Hotmail, one of the early leaders in web-based email, and plans to transition the service's more than 350 million users to a new email service called Outlook.com, the software giant announced Tuesday.

The new service will, as its name suggests, tie in with the Microsoft email program of the same name that is part of the company’s popular Office suite of business software.

Microsoft touted the new system as the biggest change in web-based email since the introduction of Hotmail in 1996. Microsoft bought the company a year later for an estimated 400 million dollars.

According to a blog posting by product manager Chris Jones, Outlook.com combines contact information from emails and popular social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google Plus.

Featuring a minimalist design, the new service boasts powerful tools for sorting emails, including automatic recognition of newsletters, social media updates and junk mail that, according to Jones, accounts for some 70 per cent of inbox content.

The service also automatically recognizes emails with photos, documents or shipping information attached and sends these to pre-selected folders.

While the free service is ad-supported, Microsoft said that unlike Google’s gmail service the ads will not be related to the content ofusers’ emails.//DPA:cool:

Anarch
08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I'll be sure to enable an automatic redirect to my Gmail account soon.

I liked hotmail...

Holle Bolle Gijss
08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I liked hotmail...Then you'll like outlook too mate...

It works exactly the same and even the interface hasn't changed apart from it looking just a wee bit different.

Albion
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pF8TqZzWuXA/TOX__mKYSGI/AAAAAAAAAX8/fHr8jnuuOq4/s1600/Whatyouremailsaysabtyou.png

I use Gmail in classic mode (faster loading and less clutter) - Hotmail is bloody awful.

Ánleifr
08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
:cool:

thanks man!! It looks like MS is competing against Google and their all-in-one package of gmail, google docs and the G drive. Now MS will have an all-in-one email, office apps and online storage. I like it, they're even going to be adding Skype into it.