PDA

View Full Version : Epicanthic fold

Barreldriver
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
An epicanthic fold, epicanthal fold, or epicanthus is a skin fold of the upper eyelid (from the nose to the inner side of the eyebrow) covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the eye. The trait arises because the eyelid muscles are weaker or lower compared with people who do not have this epicanthic fold, resulting in a lower fold in the eyelid, when the eyes are open. The fold gives the eyes of East Asians a characteristic shape which is narrower and almond-like in comparison to most Westerners, whose eyes appear rounder.

The term "epicanthic fold" refers to a visually categorized feature of the eyelid; however, there are different underlying causes.

Population distribution

The epicanthic fold occurs commonly in people of Central Asian, East Asian and Southeast Asian descent as a result of adaptive significance, such as the Mongols, Hazaras, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Kazakhs and some South and Southeast Asians like Burmese, Filipinos, Cambodians, Malays, Thais, Bhutanese,Northern Bangladeshis, Northern Nepalis, Tibetans, Ladakhis and others. It also occurs in Afro-Asians, Khoisans (Capoids) in Africa and Madagascar, and certain groups from southern Sudan such as the Dinka and the Nuer. Epicanthic folds can also be found inherited among some Oceanic peoples including Tongans, Samoans, Micronesians, and Hawaiians. Many Inuits and some Native Americans may have it as well. Also occurs in Scandinavians, and is common in Scandinavian babies.

Anyone care to vouch for that last statement? Scandinavians with epicanthic folds?

And on another note, anyone here with em?

I think I've got one, but not in the typical Asian fashion, got the fold, but I also show two instead of one eyelids:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/ragnarok1227/IMG_0959.jpg

Allenson
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I see no epicanthus here, Barreldriver. I do however see the fleshy skin fold common amongst UP Europid types as a result of low orbital height.

I'm talking about the fold of skin over your eyes/below your brow.

Útrám
06-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Leader of Libya Muammar al-Gaddafi, a North African UP.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg/400px-Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg

Loki
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Also occurs in Scandinavians, and is common in Scandinavian babies.

Fascinating. This is from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicanthic_fold), but it mentions no other source.

Útrám
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Fascinating. This is from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicanthic_fold), but it mentions no other source.

How dare you question Wikipedia's truthfulness? Wikipedia is accurate[citation needed]

Treffie
06-26-2009, 12:36 AM
There are two types of epicanthic fold, an inner one and an outer one. It is the inner one that usually distinguishes more eastern looking populations from western ones. Barreldriver, you have the beginnings of an outer epicanthic fold.

Tabiti
06-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Maybe it's evolutional sign, developed in regions with more wind - cold or sandy. That explains why Scandinavians and Africans have it.

I don't think I have it or?

Guapo
06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Maybe it's evolutional sign, developed in regions with more wind - cold or sandy. That explains why Scandinavians and Africans have it.

I don't think I have it or?

No you don't have it. Nice eyes btw.

Guapo
06-26-2009, 06:22 AM
I see no epicanthus here, Barreldriver. I do however see the fleshy skin fold common amongst UP Europid types as a result of low orbital height.

I have that too.Exactly like Barreldriver's eyes.

Brännvin
06-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Also occurs in Scandinavians, and is common in Scandinavian babies.

I never saw it here, is there some other source in addition to wikipedia claiming it?

This is total misinformation...

Amarantine
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I never saw it here, is there some other source in addition to wikipedia claiming it?

Why you think that? I think I saw a lot of pictures about Scandinavians with this kind of eyes shape, with light color, there were so beautiful,btw. But I am too much lazy to search the net for pictures:)

Amarantine
06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Leader of Libya Muammar al-Gaddafi, a North African UP.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg/400px-Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg

He has this fold becouse of his age.

Loki
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I lived with this beautiful Swedish girl (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&stc=1&d=1237244411) in a house in London. It can't be observed clearly in this picture, but she appeared to have some sort of epicanthic folds on closer inspection. Totally gorgeous girl, there is no look I find more attractive than the Scandinavian blonde.

Amarantine
06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I lived with this beautiful Swedish girl (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&stc=1&d=1237244411) in a house in London. It can't be observed clearly in this picture, but she appeared to have some sort of epicanthic folds on closer inspection. Totally gorgeous girl, there is no look I find more attractive than the Scandinavian blonde.

She is beautiful, and for me she has epicanthic fold...I am glad you agreed with me...but may be there are more types of epicanthic folds?

Brännvin
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Why you think that? I think I saw a lot of pictures about Scandinavians with this kind of eyes shape, with light color, there were so beautiful,btw. But I am too much lazy to search the net for pictures:)

Why I simply disagree with what is posted on wikipedia (wikipedia is an interesting tool when they to link a specific information to a credible source, if not, it is biased), in some way they generalize only on Scandinavians populations without even posting a source, and others, the Eastern Europeans, Finns, Southern Eastern Europeans where are they?

Not to mention that the text in question is extremely poor in information...

Loki
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
She is beautiful, and for me she has epicanthic fold...I am glad you agreed with me...but may be there are more types of epicanthic folds?

If this is some kind of epicanthus, it's likely a localized Northern adaptation to extreme cold weather, rather than suggesting a Mongoloid origin. One must understand that similar-looking traits can develop independently based on similar climatic conditions. We've actually discussed this indepth on the old Northern anthro mailing list, probably about 9 or 10 years ago.

Brännvin
06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
About me Amarantine, answering the your question by the rep, I don't have ;)

Haven't you seen my photos posted on the defunct Hbf and AF?? Or you don't remember! :D :P

Amarantine
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
About me Amarantine, answering the your question by the rep, I don't have ;)

Haven't you seen my photos posted on the defunct Hbf and AF?? Or you don't remember! :D :P

No, I never saw your photos simply becouse I rarely read those threads with personal pictures, I know just a few members by photos.

And even I don't know one of my favourite members, here and there...he will recognized himself if he read this...;)

P.S. But you could send me your photos anytime :wink:coffee:

Amarantine
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
If this is some kind of epicanthus, it's likely a localized Northern adaptation to extreme cold weather, rather than suggesting a Mongoloid origin. One must understand that similar-looking traits can develop independently based on similar climatic conditions. We've actually discussed this indepth on the old Northern anthro mailing list, probably about 9 or 10 years ago.

But Mongols eyes had different eye shape, you could not compare that. My mother have epicanthus fold even we don't live in cold climate zone neither we are Mongols. And here in Montenegro a lot of blond and semi blond people have that epicathus fold similar to your gf...and we are not Scandinavians, too. :cool:

And, I am quite new in anthro so, my appology if we talk about an old subject ...

Loki
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
similar to your gf...

She is/was never my girlfriend. :D I wasn't that lucky, and maybe too shy at that point. :(

Barreldriver
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM

So that's what it is, I thought it was epacanthus lol. There's not too many comparison pics around comparing a true epacanthic fold to a non-empacanthic.

Barreldriver
06-26-2009, 03:39 PM

That's why I wanted verification from the Scandinavians here. :D

Svarogstan
11-18-2009, 03:46 AM
I had an obvious outer epicanthic fold when I was a toddler.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3471/3852074054_af9609f52a_b.jpg

If you have not worked it out I am the one on the left my sister on the right.

I am not Scandinavian (Croatian ancestry) but I found out recently that I have a distant cousin who is Finnish. I am not sure if Finns are classified as Scandinavian? As you can see from the picture I have a very East Baltid look about me. This epicanthic fold in me is not so prominent now that I am an adult.

Stefan
11-18-2009, 03:55 AM
If I recall correctly, almost all babies are born with Epicanthic folds. I was born with one, as was both of my parents. The biggest distinguishing feature between East Asians and other races is the lack of a brow ridge, high cheek bones(which actually cause the eyes to slant in a different angle), and sloping foreheads(non-relative to the discussion). Otherwise, any epicanthic fold would be quite unnoticeable. Having said all of that, you do not have an Epicanthic fold. This is what an epicanthic fold looks like.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/epican1.jpg

Edit: I just noticed what you were talking about. That is just caused by extra skin on your nose. Nothing else.

Kadu
11-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Here are some types of eye folds

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/Kadu_album/eyefoldsil5.jpg

I have something between the medium and the external one.

Svarogstan
11-18-2009, 05:33 AM
If I recall correctly, almost all babies are born with Epicanthic folds. I was born with one, as was both of my parents. The biggest distinguishing feature between East Asians and other races is the lack of a brow ridge, high cheek bones(which actually cause the eyes to slant in a different angle), and sloping foreheads(non-relative to the discussion). Otherwise, any epicanthic fold would be quite unnoticeable. Having said all of that, you do not have an Epicanthic fold. This is what an epicanthic fold looks like.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/epican1.jpg

Edit: I just noticed what you were talking about. That is just caused by extra skin on your nose. Nothing else.

These are epicanthic folds in Asians :rolleyes:. Europeans would be different.

Äike
11-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Scandinavians never have full epicanthic folds, it's just adaption to the cold. You can especially notice it among Finns, who have lived in Northern Europe for the longest period, they are also the least mixed European ethnicity(Finns are a genetic isolate) and anthropologically they're probably the closest to the original Northern European population.(As they are the original Northern Europeans)

This thread reminds me of this post (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100538&postcount=3):

Theres something called finneyes. It resembles to a degree epicantic folds, but has a few detail differences. In return way over 90% has that...
I am yet to ever see full epicantic folds here.

One of the main differences being is that the red dot right next to the nose (inside eye) is visible. Whesreas for epicantic folds its not. Which was also the criteria used by the SS.

Aino
11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
After comparing pictures of my own eyes to pictures of other Europeans' eyes, I have also come to the conclusion that I have either remnants of epicanthic folds or something resembling inner epicanthic folds. They are similar to Barreldriver's but maybe not quite as pronounced.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2883/eyesb.jpg

Stefan
11-18-2009, 03:31 PM
These are epicanthic folds in Asians :rolleyes:. Europeans would be different.

I don't agree with that idea of there being two different kinds. You either have an Epicanthic fold or you don't. If it is something else then it is something else, not Epicanthus. Also, the picture was meant to show how it was different from the full asian and the half asian. As for the discussion of inner and outer folds, most asian's have both, but they aren't limited to having both. Europeans may develop "fat" or "skin" around their eyes that allow a semblance of an epicanthic fold, but it isn't the same thing, and it definitely doesn't have the same effect. Now Epicanthic folds could be different based on admixture, but that is just that, admixture.

Lahtari
11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Theres something called finneyes. It resembles to a degree epicantic folds, but has a few detail differences. In return way over 90% has that..

Never heard of anything like that. Any examples?

The only folds I can see regularly are outer ones like Barreldriver's.

Freomæg
11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
this beautiful Swedish girl (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&stc=1&d=1237244411).
:eek: She looks the spitting image of my girlfriend's sister, who is English. My girlfriend herself has brown hair and eyes and therefore not so much the typical Swedish look. Just goes to show how varied the phenotypes can be between siblings.

Svarogstan
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
I don't agree with that idea of there being two different kinds. You either have an Epicanthic fold or you don't. If it is something else then it is something else, not Epicanthus. Also, the picture was meant to show how it was different from the full asian and the half asian. As for the discussion of inner and outer folds, most asian's have both, but they aren't limited to having both. Europeans may develop "fat" or "skin" around their eyes that allow a semblance of an epicanthic fold, but it isn't the same thing, and it definitely doesn't have the same effect. Now Epicanthic folds could be different based on admixture, but that is just that, admixture.

I never said their were two different kinds I said they were different. If you had bothered to have read the other post (by Kadu and Karl) you would not have questioned what I had said.

The definition of canthus "The angle formed by the meeting of the upper and lower eyelids at either side of the eye."

"Epi" meaning on top off in Latin. Therfore an epicanthus is an eye fold of any sorts on the canthus of the eye. You can have an inner, outer or medial epicanthus. I said I had an outer epicanthus which is a fold on the temporal canthus of my eyes.

Stefan
11-19-2009, 01:41 AM
What I meant was epicanthic or other eye folds are different in terms of type between races. If you had bothered to have read the other post (by Kadu and Karl) you would not have questioned what I had said.

Kadu posted this diagram.

Yes, there are different types of folds, but nowhere does it say that it is exclusive to one race. Actually, all of those can be found in "Asian" populations, including "no fold". I don't see how Karl's post is relevant. In Europeans, most Epicanthic folds are lost before adult hood. Sometimes due to many reasons, they aren't fully lost though, or somebody can develop one at an old age. Epicanthic folds are just an adaption of extra fat due to light and harsh weathering conditions. There is reason to believe that any "genes" for them were in the earliest of Humans, especially when you look at the Bushmen. It is only when the environment calls for it, that you would retain it, as well as later generations retaining them due to a high incidence. There are different types of Epicanthic folds, but none is exclusive to one race as you tried to point out.

Svarogstan
11-19-2009, 02:01 AM

Yes, there are different types of folds, but nowhere does it say that it is exclusive to one race. Actually, all of those can be found in "Asian" populations, including "no fold". I don't see how Karl's post is relevant. In Europeans, most Epicanthic folds are lost before adult hood. Sometimes due to many reasons, they aren't fully lost though, or somebody can develop one at an old age. Epicanthic folds are just an adaption of extra fat due to light and harsh weathering conditions. There is reason to believe that any "genes" for them were in the earliest of Humans, especially when you look at the Bushmen. It is only when the environment calls for it, that you would retain it, as well as later generations retaining them due to a high incidence. There are different types of Epicanthic folds, but none is exclusive to one race as you tried to point out.

"Epicanthic folds are just an adaption of extra fat due to light and harsh weathering conditions"

I don't think that's true. Epicanthic folds are due to muscle weakness of the eyelid. If it were a true adaptation than there would have been a selective advantage for this which I would think impossible ie. people with an epicanthic fold would have survived longer (to reproductive age) than those without one!?? What could have killed the ones without it? retinopathy?...hardly.

Stefan
11-19-2009, 02:59 AM
"Epicanthic folds are just an adaption of extra fat due to light and harsh weathering conditions"

I don't think that's true. Epicanthic folds are due to muscle weakness of the eyelid. If it were a true adaptation than there would have been a selective advantage for this which I would think impossible ie. people with an epicanthic fold would have survived longer (to reproductive age) than those without one!?? What could have killed the ones without it? retinopathy?...hardly.

I agree that weak muscles are the cause that bring the effect I mentioned - extra skin/fat around the eye. This weakness of the muscles is most likely caused by environmental adaption to weathering patterns(wind, storms) and/or the extra light in North Asia as well as other areas of the world. You could die from many ways, such as not being able to see as well as those with the folds in these harsh conditions.

Svarogstan
11-19-2009, 06:16 AM
I agree that weak muscles are the cause that bring the effect I mentioned - extra skin/fat around the eye. This weakness of the muscles is most likely caused by environmental adaption to weathering patterns(wind, storms) and/or the extra light in North Asia as well as other areas of the world. You could die from many ways, such as not being able to see as well as those with the folds in these harsh conditions.

I think you are clutching at straws.

Stefan
11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I think you are clutching at straws.

Dare I plead against that thought? Really, there isn't a definite answer to the cause of Epicanthic folds, but it is mostly accepted that they are caused by intense light and cold. It isn't exclusive either in full or type to East Asians. I have no reason to be desperate in this discussion, nor would I choose to be. If I am wrong I will admit it. In this case, I can't be wrong because there is no right.

Majar
11-26-2009, 06:01 AM
After comparing pictures of my own eyes to pictures of other Europeans' eyes, I have also come to the conclusion that I have either remnants of epicanthic folds or something resembling inner epicanthic folds. They are similar to Barreldriver's but maybe not quite as pronounced.

Epicanthic (mongoloid) folds have a completely different physiognomy (http://media1.nfb.ca/medias/nfb_tube/thumbs_large/2008/western-eyes-large_.jpg) to what your photo and Barreldriver's photos shows.

In the womb we all have eye folds. As the nasal bridge elevates in utero and from infancy to childhood, the fold is lost in most people. What is causing your, Barreldriver (and my) eyelids to have a fold is a low nasal bridge, whereas with Mongoloid folds the trait is not altered by the height of the nasal bridge. To illustrate this: singer Ken Hirai (http://kenhirai.canalblog.com/) (who, despite appearances, is 100% Japanese) has a tall nasal bridge (http://i48.tinypic.com/ve6qad.jpg) even by Caucasoid standards, yet he has epicanthic folds (http://i47.tinypic.com/28aot4n.jpg).

Lulletje Rozewater
11-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Scandinavians are the ONLY European group to have the epicanthic fold. The other group is, and only is, Asian and Asian sub-races.

Scandinavians, as well, have it due to their Asian ancestry.

http://prueeuropeans.blogspot.com/2009/07/epicanthic-fold.html

Fred
11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
She is/was never my girlfriend. :D I wasn't that lucky, and maybe too shy at that point. :(You're not old or lucky enough to be with my married aunt, so cut it out...:eek:

That's why I wanted verification from the Scandinavians here. :D Hmm.:p

Sventovit
11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Scandinavians never have full epicanthic folds, it's just adaption to the cold. You can especially notice it among Finns, who have lived in Northern Europe for the longest period, they are also the least mixed European ethnicity(Finns are a genetic isolate) and anthropologically they're probably the closest to the original Northern European population.(As they are the original Northern Europeans)

LOL. What are you smoking and where can I buy it?

Stefan
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Look what I can do. :D Since my skin is so elasticy I can move it easily. By doing that around my eye, I can make something that resembles an Epicanthic Fold. :P

Regular Eye(as you can see my eye is Almond shaped so it works well)
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3253&d=1259666904

When I move my skin.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3254&d=1259666904

Alex350
12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Here an extrem exampel:

Grey
12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Scandinavians are the ONLY European group to have the epicanthic fold. The other group is, and only is, Asian and Asian sub-races.

Scandinavians aren't the only ones that can have them; my mom's French and has so called "nordic epicanthi".

Alex350
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Something like that? (Scandinavians epicanthic)

Tony
12-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Seems I have no epicanthus at all , just like you :coffee:

http://i45.tinypic.com/220yft.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/10z39n5.jpg

Kadu
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Seems I have no epicanthus at all , just like you :coffee:

By what i've seen in this pic (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152530&postcount=1886) you seem to have something between a median fold and an external epicanthus. Very similar to mine actually.

Tony
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
By what i've seen in this pic (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152530&postcount=1886) you seem to have something between a median fold and an external epicanthus. Very similar to mine actually.

I think that's just an impression , wrong , since I've a lot of fat skin that tends to fall over and cover my eyelids , that's why I wanted to take a couple of very close pics of my eyes , in the first one I've slightly squinted my eyes beacause of the direct lightening so it seems I have some sort of epicanthus ; in the second one , taken with normal lightening , I didn't squint at all and it shows a regular eyelid , that goes from the outer corner right to the inner one , at most I could have a median fold but it shows only when I squint , like in the other picture.

josephgr
06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi there, I just noticed i have a fold in my eyes, could anyone tell me more about it?

Here is a recent picture. I'm hispanic, so I know there's a mix somewhere, tho neither of my parents have this fold, but my lil bro does too!

Thanks!
Joe

Loki
06-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Hi there, I just noticed i have a fold in my eyes, could anyone tell me more about it?

Here is a recent picture. I'm hispanic, so I know there's a mix somewhere, tho neither of my parents have this fold, but my lil bro does too!

Thanks!
Joe

A clear Mongoloid, you're gonna have to shoot yourself now.

Pallantides
06-18-2010, 12:24 AM

I seem to have a median fold.

Many Scandinavians have the 'external ephicantus'

Eldritch
06-18-2010, 12:28 AM
A clear Mongoloid, you're gonna have to shoot yourself now.

I think that race-mixing, coal-burning slut on his right needs to go too. Pity, she would have made a decent tr00 Aryan breeding machine.

Riipitsiip
08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
--

rhiannon
08-09-2011, 01:40 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHyuFbOjQPft10oNsZuGChbRIRCvpGc Fnc61Fk-Mw40U2jWBFO&t=1

Bavarian girl in Germany. She is very striking.

Hess
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHyuFbOjQPft10oNsZuGChbRIRCvpGc Fnc61Fk-Mw40U2jWBFO&t=1

Bavarian girl in Germany. She is very striking.

People like that can be and are found in Germany and Austria. Another example is Klaus Brandauer.

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/04/gcelebrities/Klaus_Maria_Brandauer-3.jpg

Riipitsiip
08-09-2011, 02:11 PM
--

Hess
08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
That looks more like old age than a epicanthic fold. Can see in this pictures that both corners of his eyes are open rather than folded "shut" because of the upper eyelid.

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img0972.jpg

Old age may very well be a factor, but even in that picture one can see a pseudo mongoloid appearance. In fact, Klaus is used as an example of an East Baltid here http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/rg-east.htm

Riipitsiip
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
--

Equilibrium
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Günther Beckstein. Even considering his age, I still find his eye folds very pronounced.

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00475/beckstein1_DW_Vermi_475911p.jpg

http://www.der-bayern-blog.de/wp-content/gallery/bayern1/guenther-beckstein.jpg

Tony
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
--

Accordin to the map posted by Pallantides you have an internal epicanthus, it's visibile by lookin at the inner corners of the eyes.

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Why haven't I seen this thread before? It shall become my new favourite! :D

Dutchies, can you toss me an ounce of whatever it is this compatriot of yours is smoking?

Pallantides
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
"Pure Europeans" blog... seem like very reliable information.:D

evon
11-06-2012, 01:08 PM
My niece has some weird stuff going with her eyes and nose, had it since she was a baby, but i always assumed they would go away, but now she is starting to get older and they are still there (her Halloween picture, hence the face paint):

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2682/52645335.jpg

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
My niece has some weird stuff going with her eyes and nose, had it since she was a baby, but i always assumed they would go away, but now she is starting to get older and they are still there (her Halloween picture, hence the face paint):

I think the peculiarities are caused by the nasal root, which appears to be unusually broad and flat. The most likely cause is simply natural variation I think, though it could perhaps be the result of a mild congenital defect.

Corvus
11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I have an epicanthic fold too and I am not Scandinavian

Pallantides
11-06-2012, 01:12 PM

No doubt one of your ancestors was a Lappo-norse horny Viking.

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Is it really a proper epicanthus, or just a pronounced median/external fold?

Corvus
11-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Is it really a proper epicanthus, or just a pronounced median/external fold?

I don`t know. I could send you my picture and you can examine it more closely.

Graham
11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
finþaų posted a British footballer with this.

http://i.imgur.com/vS2dE.jpg

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
The man looks strikingly English/British to me, despite his peculiar fold.

Pallantides
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
finþaų posted a British footballer with this.

http://i.imgur.com/vS2dE.jpg

Must be the son of a Uralo-Viking.

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Another Brit displaying an epicanthic tendency:

http://i.imgur.com/uzALa.jpg

Finnuit fold (here observed in a far-North Swede). Contrary to popular opinion, the Finnuit fold is not a full epicanthus at all, as it does not typically descend below the inner corners of the eyes, leaving them fully exposed:

http://i.imgur.com/c0b4Z.png

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
The Björk is distinct from the Finnuit fold, as it (obviously) descends below the inner corners of her eyes. Judging from what I have seen, it is more common in West Scandinavians that it is in Finnuits (though not common at all):

http://i.imgur.com/DtqeE.jpg

Graham
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
What aboot this lad?

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1144434#post1144434

finþaų
11-06-2012, 01:42 PM
What aboot this lad?

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1144434#post1144434

No epicanthic tendency really, just a somewhat heavy upper lid.

Sahaye
04-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Hi,

I am new here and found this very interesting page while trying to find what the shape of my eye is. I find it interesting that this has been regarded as a very Asian feature. I am South-Asian and have absolutely no Asian ancestary.

Mughals according to Wikipedia apparently claim persian/Turkic ancestary.

Would love to hear the views of people who know more about this subject!

Also I narrowed the eye shape down to possibly 'hooded', 'phoenix-eyes', though I am not sure.

cheers!

o__o
04-05-2013, 03:26 PM
A clear indicator of Mongoloid blood.

Loki
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
It is an epicanthic fold, although not as striking as those of East Asians of course.

Did you know that people from the Indian subcontinent have high levels of East Asian ancestry? It varies from region I guess, and I'm not sure if it stretches so far west into Pakistan.

Sahaye
04-05-2013, 03:52 PM
I have, on occasion been confused as a non-Pakistani, I suppose I do look somewhat east-asian.

Unfortunately, cannot fathom where that possibly comes from, probably goes way way back. Genghis Khan is my shot in the dark.

Thanks for the comments!

Loki
04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I have, on occasion been confused as a non-Pakistani, I suppose I do look somewhat east-asian.

Unfortunately, cannot fathom where that possibly comes from, probably goes way way back. Genghis Khan is my shot in the dark.

Thanks for the comments!

Have you ever been interested in genetics? For example, a 23andme test would tell you what percentage of East Asian genes you have, if any.

Sahaye
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I am very interested in genetics but have very little information regarding my own background. I had no idea they have a test for that! Sounds VERY exciting. I wonder how I could go about getting one done. I will have to do some research regarding that.

I was watching Mad Men and I noticed this american actress with similar eye.31321

I also read that Bengalis have a lot of mongoloid ancestry. I am not a Bengali by far but have at times been told I look like one.

Also I don't know if this was mentioned earlier but East asians usually have a mono-lid as well as an epicanthic fold, I on the other hand have just the fold.

I find that the fold sort of casts a shadow and creates an appearance of deep eye bags under the eyes, which is super annoying.

Loki
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
We have lots about genetics on this site - you can have a look.

The test I'm talking about:

www.23andme.com

Many of us have done it.

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 07:36 PM
The epicanthic fold is a projection of skin between the upper and lower eyelids alongside the nose. It is a common racial characteristic among people with east Asian ancestry. This fold is present in fetuses and infants of any race, and its continued presence can be a sign of a developmental disorder, although this is not always the case.

The epicanthic fold is one of several distinguishing characteristics for persons of Asian descent, particularly those whose ancestors originated in the region from Tibet to Japan. It is also found in Pacific Islanders and Native Americans, who are believed to be descended from Asians, and is not unknown among people of European and African descent. Some scientists speculate that the epicanthic fold may have been an aid to vision for the people residing in or near the Mongolian desert, providing protection from either glare or airborne sand particles. This is only a theory, however, as the genetic background behind such racial characteristics is still not well understood.

Asian people faced systematic racism when migrating to nations such as the U.S. and Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The epicanthic fold, as a clear indicator of a person’s racial background, became the target of specific racist epithets. In the mid-20th century, some Asians and Asian-Americans actually elected to have plastic surgery, called epicanthoplasty, to eliminate their folds and make them appear more Western. Epicanthoplasty is a complicated procedure because of the risk of damage to the tear ducts. By contrast, the epicanthic fold is also seen as a sign of exotic beauty in America or Europe, where it is often a rare feature.

The epicanthic fold is sometimes visible during the early development of infants, no matter what their racial background. In non-Asian children, this will often vanish as the facial structure becomes more defined. If this does not happen and there is no racial factor to influence the epicanthic fold, it may indicate a developmental disorder such as Down’s syndrome. This is not always the case, however; concerned parents should consult with a medical professional. In the 20th century, afflicted children with this characteristic were sometimes called Mongoloid because of the epicanthic fold’s association with Mongolian ancestry. This term is now considered imprecise and possibly offensive.

source (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-epicanthal-folds.htm)

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/9326/pn56.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/6724/10qc.jpg

Proctor
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
The epicanthic fold is a projection of skin between the upper and lower eyelids alongside the nose. It is a common racial characteristic among people with east Asian ancestry. This fold is present in fetuses and infants of any race, and its continued presence can be a sign of a developmental disorder, although this is not always the case.

The epicanthic fold is one of several distinguishing characteristics for persons of Asian descent, particularly those whose ancestors originated in the region from Tibet to Japan. It is also found in Pacific Islanders and Native Americans, who are believed to be descended from Asians, and is not unknown among people of European and African descent. Some scientists speculate that the epicanthic fold may have been an aid to vision for the people residing in or near the Mongolian desert, providing protection from either glare or airborne sand particles. This is only a theory, however, as the genetic background behind such racial characteristics is still not well understood.

Asian people faced systematic racism when migrating to nations such as the U.S. and Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The epicanthic fold, as a clear indicator of a person’s racial background, became the target of specific racist epithets. In the mid-20th century, some Asians and Asian-Americans actually elected to have plastic surgery, called epicanthoplasty, to eliminate their folds and make them appear more Western. Epicanthoplasty is a complicated procedure because of the risk of damage to the tear ducts. By contrast, the epicanthic fold is also seen as a sign of exotic beauty in America or Europe, where it is often a rare feature.

The epicanthic fold is sometimes visible during the early development of infants, no matter what their racial background. In non-Asian children, this will often vanish as the facial structure becomes more defined. If this does not happen and there is no racial factor to influence the epicanthic fold, it may indicate a developmental disorder such as Down’s syndrome. This is not always the case, however; concerned parents should consult with a medical professional. In the 20th century, afflicted children with this characteristic were sometimes called Mongoloid because of the epicanthic fold’s association with Mongolian ancestry. This term is now considered imprecise and possibly offensive.

source (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-epicanthal-folds.htm)

Everything seems to be 'offensive' nowadays.

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 07:44 PM
The Strange Case of Björk

Björk says she is 100% Icelandic. Both of her parents are Icelandic. Icelandics are a mix between Nordics and Gaelics. Those are both North European, pure Caucasian groups. OK, so how come she looks Asiatic?

http://robertlindsay.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/bjork2_main.jpg
Björk, the most Asiatic looking North European I have even seen, barring the Lapps.

That’s not the only photo of her. Lapps are the most ancient Caucasians of Europe. They do have a bit of Asian in them, but not much (7%). Surely some Scandinavians have some Lapp in them, but probably not much.

I much better guess is that Björk is part Inuit from Greenland. Iceland is very close to the Inuit-populated land of Greenland, with close ties to other Inuit regions in Canada. She’s obviously got some Inuit genes somewhere in her background.

I have heard some say that some far north Scandinavians have Asiatic eyes though they are fully Caucasian due to protective effects eyefolds have on the eyes from the glare of the sun shining on the snow. I think that’s dubious until proven otherwise. Most Norwegians and Swedes don’t look very Asiatic.

Best guess is she has an Inuit ancestor back there somewhere.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned she’s White.

source - Beyond Highbrow - Robert Lindsay (http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/the-strange-case-of-bjork/)

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
epicanthic fold

A fold of skin of the upper eyelid that partially covers the inner corner of the eye. Also called epicanthus.

Oxford Companion to the Body:epicanthic fold

In human anatomy, this is the fold of skin covering the inner corner (canthus) of the eye, normally from the top of the eye downward in a semilunar form. The epicanthic (or epicanthal) fold is a normal feature of fetuses of all races but is present in a pronounced form and in high concentrations in humans of certain geographic races and subraces. The epicanthic fold is sometimes referred to as the ‘Mongolian eye fold’, because of its high incidence in and historical association with the Mongoloid (Asian) geographic race. The presence or absence of the epicanthus, which helps produce in Asians a distinctive eye shape and facial appearance, has helped fuel controversies in physical anthropology and evolutionary theory, including historical attempts to establish racial hierarchies based on evolutionary fitness and disputes concerning the nature of evolutionary adaptation. In addition, epicanthic folds in individuals of groups without a high normal incidence of its presence is often phenotypic of genetic or congenital disorders. In some recent debates, the alleged absence of the fold in some depictions and descriptions of humans from Chinese and Indian history has led some Afrocentric historians to claim an African origin of at least some aspects of Indian and Shang dynasty Chinese culture.

In addition to Asians and eastern subarctic and arctic Eurasians, some native American peoples (especially those of Middle America and some populations in South American lowland areas), the Capoid local race of southern Africa, and some of the composite racial groups of Pacific island peoples have high incidence of developed epicanthic folds. The fold occurs less frequently in Southeast Asian populations and in North American Indian groups but occurs occasionally in some European groups, for example in some Scandinavians and Poles.

While epicanthic folds occur more frequently in Asiatic groups and those peoples genetically linked to Asia, its presence is not universal in these peoples and it occurs less frequently in other groups. The incidence of epicanthic folds varies widely among the nine major geographic races and their local races. Attempts to define racial groups by the presence or absence of such features, by phenotype, rather than by genotype and specific inherited traits, are historically problematic and scientifically unreliable. There is substantial variation in phenotype within geographic races and subraces produced by the gene flow inevitable in an aggressively mobile species such as our own, by environmental conditions, and simply by individual variation due to a number of causes, including genetic mutation and the ‘small-sample’ effects of isolated population groups. Modern genetics rejects the notion of a ‘pure’ race; while the historical origins of some geographic groups are obscure, contemporary racial groups are mixtures of the gene pools of many geographic races. Thus, the presence or absence of a developed epicanthic fold, while an indication of one of a number of genetic origins and an important diagnostic feature of certain genetic disorders, cannot bear the cultural freight often bequeathed to it by history, pseudo-science, and prejudice.

The association of the epicanthic fold with Mongolians and Asians more generally served to reinforce notions of racial and cultural supremacy in nineteenth and early-to-mid twentieth century European physical anthropology, physiognomy, and racial theory. Humans with the genetic anomaly now known as Down's syndrome, caused by having three copies (trisomy) of chromosome 21, have limited physical growth and mental retardation of varying severity, and an increased risk of other serious physical problems. Down's syndrome is one of the more common chromosomal defects, occurring on average in 1 in 900 live births. The Down's syndrome infant is quickly recognized by both facial and more general cranial characteristics, including a rounded head, short neck, thin and usually fine hair, flat nose, small mouth, and, especially, slanting eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds.

John Langdon Haydon Down first described this syndrome in 1866 and termed it ‘mongolism’ because of the eyefold and other facial features that Down believed linked the European children he observed to geographic races with a high incidence of such features, including the Asian geographic race (of which the Mongolian people constitute a local race). Down's report on this condition is an important example of the influence of cultural assumptions both on reading facial features and on the construction of anthropological theories designed to categorize and judge peoples: his comparison of European children born with a chromosomal disorder with the normal features of many Mongolians was both scientifically inaccurate as an analysis of the condition and a patronizing mischaracterization of Mongolians. Down argued that these children represented a degeneration of the superior (European) human type, stating that ‘A very large number of congenital idiots are typical Mongols.’ The racial theories used by Down and others have been decisively rejected by modern science, but it is only recently that the descriptions of Down's syndrome as ‘mongolism’ or ‘mongolian idiocy’ and persons with Down's syndrome as ‘mongols’ or ‘mongolian idiots’ have begun to fade from view.

In addition to Down's syndrome, epicanthic folds occur in other, less common genetic disorders, including Trigonocephaly ‘C’ syndrome and two types of ‘Blepharophimosis, Ptosis, Epicanthus Inversus Syndrome’ (BPES). In the latter condition, the epicanthic fold is inverted, extending from the lower eyelid up the side of the nose. Folds also occur in certain congenital conditions, including fetal alcohol syndrome. While the facial anomalies of infants with fetal alcohol syndrome are usually less pronounced than those of a Down's syndrome child, some of the same features occur, including a flat nose and nasal bridge, and developed epicanthic folds.

— Jeffrey H. Barker

Mosby's Dental Dictionary: epicanthic fold

A characteristic crease in the eyelid; seen in persons with Down syndrome.

Wikipedia on Answers.com: Epicanthic fold

Epicanthic fold, epicanthal fold, slant-eye, epicanthus, or simply eye fold are names for a skin fold of the upper eyelid, covering the inner corner (medial canthus) of the eye. Other names for this trait include plica palpebronasalis and palpebronasal fold. One of the primary facial features often closely associated with the epicanthic folds is the nasal bridge; all else equal, a lower-based nose bridge is more likely to cause epicanthic folds, and vice versa. There are various factors influencing whether someone has epicanthic folds, including geographical ancestry, age, and certain medical conditions.

Factors

Geographic distribution

Epicanthic fold is typical in many peoples of Eastern Asia and is common among Central Asian populations. Epicanthic folds are characteristic of Bushmen populations in Southern Africa. It is also found in significant numbers among Indigenous Americans. Additionally, European ethnic groups that tend to have epicanthus relatively frequently are Scandinavians, Samis, Poles, Germans, the Irish and British. They are most prominent in women and children and tend to become less distinct with age.

Humans initially develop epicanthic fold in the womb. Some fetuses lose their epicanthic folds after three to six months of gestation or before birth. In other young children it is visible before the nasal bridge elevates.

Medical conditions

Epicanthic fold is sometimes found as a congenital abnormality.Medical conditions that cause the nasal bridge not to mature and project are associated with epicanthic folds. One of the characteristics of a number of people with Down Syndrome is prominent epicanthic folds. In 1862 John Langdon Down classified Down Syndrome and due to his perception that children with Down syndrome shared physical facial similarities (epicanthic folds) with those of Blumenbach's Mongolian race, used the term mongoloid, derived from prevailing ethnic theory. While the term "mongoloid" (also "mongol" or "mongoloid idiot") continued to be used until the early 1970s, it is now considered pejorative and inaccurate and is no longer in common use.

In Zellweger syndrome, epicanthic folds are prominent.Other examples are fetal alcohol syndrome, phenylketonuria, and Turner syndrome.

Evolutionary origin

It is hypothesized that epicanthic folds are caused by climatic factors and it may have originated more than once during human evolution. Sexual selection may have also influenced the evolution of the trait. The genetic basis of the adaptation is not well known.

source (http://www.answers.com/topic/epicanthal-fold)

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 08:07 PM

It's common amongst most babies and young children until their nasal bridge is fully formed, not just scando babies.

WOOHP
02-03-2014, 08:11 PM

Apprentely changed

Additionally, European ethnic groups that tend to have epicanthus relatively frequently are Scandinavians, Samis,[7] Poles, Germans, the Irish and British.[citation needed] They are most prominent in women and children and tend to become less distinct with age

People see what they want to see and what they think they are seeing.
There's nothing strange about the eyeshape of Northern Euros. Not even Middleeasterners here in Sweden have that much of bigger eyes than native Swedes.

Atlantic Islander
02-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Not even Middleeasterners here in Sweden have that much of bigger eyes than native Swedes.

What does eye-size have to do with anything?

Neanderthal
02-12-2014, 02:43 AM
External epicanthic fold is better known in anatomy books as the 'Nordic fold', probably common in some Northern Cromagnid types.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/richard_gere_3.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8739/rednordid.jpg

Mild:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1618/princeharry.jpg

Atlantic Islander
02-15-2014, 09:20 PM
External epicanthic fold is better known in anatomy books as the 'Nordic fold', probably common in some Northern Cromagnid types.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/richard_gere_3.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8739/rednordid.jpg

Mild:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1618/princeharry.jpg

It's in most CM types.

waltraut
06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?129450-TOTALLY-almond-eyes-in-european-guy-how-can-you-explain-this

take a view here, same topic with interesting example!! :)

Nehellenia
06-12-2014, 11:22 AM

East Baltid, Lappid and Strandid (perhaps) Scandinavians, i would think :)

Merida
07-05-2014, 02:06 AM
I have an external fold on my right eye and an external/median fold on my left eye. It makes it hard for make-up! lol

Eusocial
07-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Richard Gere is Nordic?

I have these btw. No trace of East Asian or Amerind or even Mideastern ancestry and I've tried all the DNA tests out there. It's apparently some kind of primitive north Europid thing. Or very distant stuff that DNA doesn't pick up but shows in my case.

The folds show in Scandinavian children because the nasal bridge hasn't fully developed yet, and specifically the part of the bone under the brows that pulls the skin away from the eye in most Europids. Slightly depressed nasion can have the effect of accentuating the fold a little.

Coloration also plays a role too, obviously. This trait might have been selected against in parts of Europe with a history of invasions from Asia.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
07-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Epicanthic folds help reduce the chance for snow blindness you know that right.

Yuffayur
07-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Epicanthic fold is not too rare in Northafrica, it's found regulary in Nafrican isolated people, as a group I will say the Atlasian berbers from Southern Morocco have the highest percent of Epicanthic.(some look very Central asian).
Here some picture of Atlasians:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/352199707_db7826bf6a_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3468588387_3460034d54_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3312638750_bbe1979f7d_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/352909576_04353e986c_b.jpg
http://marocfashion.canalblog.com/images/babelmedpb73180.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3918462630_fe7073665b_b.jpg

Maux
11-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Hi, today I saw a picture of Björk and thought that she didn't look very nordic, so I did a little search and learnt about this fold, and I also discovered this thread and this forum. Well, I happen to have a strange fold on the inner side of my eyes which, by the way, my friends some times had made fun of, and I have got a little er... "worried". Just to know your opinion. My parents and sisters don't have it so it might not be an ancestry matter but some kind of genetic disorder or anything. It also seems to be virtually inexistent in the people of this my country.

(By the way, is it possible to remove an attached image? I wanted to because it appears liying on one side but can't see how)

Nicholas-Mountblack
03-29-2015, 04:59 AM
Epicanthic fold is to protect the eyes from the sun reflecting off the snow, is present in some Sami's why maybe this present in some scandinavians.

safrax
08-18-2016, 07:55 PM

now 2016-August-18 we read:

Epicanthic folds occur among East Asians, Southeast Asians, Central Asians and some South Asians, Indigenous Americans, the Khoisan, Inuit, and occasionally among Nilotes,[6] Berbers and Europeans (e.g. Sami, Finns and Poles). Liarpedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicanthic_fold)

Kriptc06
10-22-2016, 02:00 AM
By the way, is it possible to remove an attached image? I wanted to because it appears liying on one side but can't see how)

Yes, go to the top right, Settings, on those panels on the left, go down and you will see Attachments

just delete what you want.

cheers.

#edit: I like that they are called epicantic folds, hahahha i just had to say it
:crazy:

Charles Bronson
10-22-2016, 02:10 AM
Do I have?

Kawaiine
08-12-2018, 06:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/6244ed7c1cea188c5ef9aa53c2d530e4.jpg

Do i have?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

The Blade
08-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Do i have?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Yes, you do.

Mr. Anybody
08-12-2018, 09:30 PM

vuhh. my eyes looks like will make a throat-song and invade the anatolia :P

Bogdan
08-14-2018, 03:52 AM
I think what they mean most of the time is hooded eyelids or brows which are different from epicanthic folds. Hooded eyes occur in Scandinavians and other (especially Northen) Europeans commonly. I know some people like the Sami have more epicanthic-type folds as well.

I have somewhat hooded eyes and I don’t like being asked if I have Asian lineage as commonly as it happens by people who know nothing about how other people look.

E fold: 79091
Hooded: 79092

Kawaiine
08-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Yes, you do.

Apparently?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Token
08-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Do i have?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Yes, obviously.

Senpai
08-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Are my eyes hooded? I've never really been able to distinguish what is and what isn't personally.
http://i.imgur.com/idVWj39l.jpg (https://imgur.com/idVWj39)

The Blade
08-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Apparently?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Yes, it's quite obvious.

CommonSense
08-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Do i have?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Very good example of an epicanthic fold. Not surprising considering your ethnicity.

Seya
08-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Are my eyes hooded? I've never really been able to distinguish what is and what isn't personally.

from this pic i'd say no

The Blade
08-17-2018, 03:51 PM
No, they aren't.

Trentino
08-18-2018, 10:03 PM

No sir. These are hooded eyes

http://www.butterflyeyes.com/media/faces/nicole-kidman.jpg

newman s were hooded as hell.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3c/a2/f4/3ca2f40ae42b955ade647d4c73fadba7.gif

habibiteh100
11-08-2018, 11:06 AM
I have epicanthic folds. Or so I’ve been told. But I’ve no idea how prominent they are. All I know is I have weird eyes.

habibiteh100
11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Do I have epicanthic folds? 81577

Seya
11-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Do I have epicanthic folds? 81577

it' not visible in this pic. user Kawaiine has one

habibiteh100
11-08-2018, 12:09 PM
it' not visible in this pic. user Kawaiine has one

I’m so sorry! I don’t know how to upload a photo on here from my phone.

Seya
11-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I’m so sorry! I don’t know how to upload a photo on here from my phone.

i saw the pic u posted above...u don't have the fold in there but, if u have eyes like mine, maybe it shows in other pics. for example in the morning when i'm well rested i do have a fold, but if i'm tired it goes away somehow

arkas
11-12-2018, 01:26 AM
So it's basically just the fold in the inner corner of the eye that extends out?

I think sometimes it can also be on the lower lid as well.

Sika
04-05-2019, 12:54 AM
This is closest to epicanthic fold i've seen in Western Europeans. Especially the corner of his eyes and the way it opens out hiding any sign of "double eyelid"

https://i0.wp.com/www.thesun.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/04/nintchdbpict000370945348.jpg?crop=0px%2C73px%2C364 8px%2C2434px&resize=1200%2C800&ssl=1

http://www.richgilligan.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/TLM-BARRY-IMG_9314.jpg

Barry Keoghan is Irish.

Pansarkamrat
04-05-2019, 01:10 AM
Is epicanthic fold a dominant or a recessive trait?

justpassing
04-13-2019, 12:15 AM
This is closest to epicanthic fold i've seen in Western Europeans. Especially the corner of his eyes and the way it opens out hiding any sign of "double eyelid"

https://i0.wp.com/www.thesun.ie/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/04/nintchdbpict000370945348.jpg?crop=0px%2C73px%2C364 8px%2C2434px&resize=1200%2C800&ssl=1

http://www.richgilligan.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/TLM-BARRY-IMG_9314.jpg

Barry Keoghan is Irish.

That guy is a genuine Irish ? Shocking if true. He looks no different than a hapa or "quapa". Doesn't look like a full blooded person of European origin. (and thus not Irish). Then again, i haven't checked all irish people but i've seen quite a lot of them and from what i can tell, they look 100% European. At least from my experience. But this guy doesn't. He kinda reminds me of another Irish that looks "odd" to me. Conan O'brien. And especially Joel Edgerton (australian/dutch) , maybe even a bit of Maggie Rizer (german/irish/english)
https://i.imgur.com/xH3Rpex.jpg

Grace O'Malley
04-13-2019, 08:30 AM
That guy is a genuine Irish ? Shocking if true. He looks no different than a hapa or "quapa". Doesn't look like a full blooded person of European origin. (and thus not Irish). Then again, i haven't checked all irish people but i've seen quite a lot of them and from what i can tell, they look 100% European. At least from my experience. But this guy doesn't. He kinda reminds me of another Irish that looks "odd" to me. Conan O'brien. And especially Joel Edgerton (australian/dutch) , maybe even a bit of Maggie Rizer (german/irish/english)
https://i.imgur.com/xH3Rpex.jpg

Yes he is fully Irish. It's not super unusual either I've seen a reasonable amount of Irish with similar eyes.

Matty74
04-13-2019, 09:08 AM
My son has a slight fold I think. We both have significant Scandinavian ancestry. His mother is Irish/Swedish and I have a lot of Norwegian/Danish background.

https://i.imgur.com/OuTXZkE.jpg

Faklon
04-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Hang up the chick habit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyxftLC7gew

Grace O'Malley
04-13-2019, 09:53 AM
My son has a slight fold I think. We both have significant Scandinavian ancestry. His mother is Irish/Swedish and I have a lot of Norwegian/Danish background.

Yes he does indeed. Beautiful child.

justpassing
04-13-2019, 07:45 PM

https://i.imgur.com/OuTXZkE.jpg

He looks part asian. Only with blue eyes & blond hair. Yet he's a full blooded European. That's amazing to me. How is that possible ? I've never been to Denmark or Sweden. So it's hard to tell what the average European looks like over there. I do know that some Europeans from Finland do have something "asian" about their facial features. (though not all of them). But why is that ? Some Russians (depending on the region) are like that too but there's a reason behind it. (i.e. mongol invasion), but wheren't the Hungarians dealing with the Huns (from central asian) at one point also ? Yet, on average, most of them do look european. (not sure, since i've never been to Hungary but based on the ones i've seen in the media & real life)

Or maybe i should reconsider what Europeans are supposed to look like? My idea of what an Irish person looks like, is this:
https://i.imgur.com/p5K8dhw.jpg

IrisSelene
04-13-2019, 07:56 PM
i think i do have it too

I believe bc of my hungarian side.

https://i.imgur.com/Y3cjN0B.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8RlQ4xs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Se2hOX2.png
https://i.imgur.com/9mlYprA.png

IrisSelene
04-13-2019, 07:57 PM
i have a epichanthic fold or not ?

https://i.ibb.co/3Wr40J5/1.png

I personally don't see it...

Rico33
08-05-2019, 04:45 AM
I wonder why some people deny epicanthic folds in Europe are mongoloid, when this feature has reached to South America, which is eventually much harder to reach.
Suddenly it becomes 'Cromagnid' or some alcoholic parent plays a role.

PaleoEuropean
08-05-2019, 04:50 AM
I wonder why some people deny epicanthic folds in Europe are mongoloid, when this feature has reached to South America, which is eventually much harder to reach.
Suddenly it becomes 'Cromagnid' or some alcoholic parent plays a role.

Some people just have deep set eyes and not an actual fold

Rico33
08-05-2019, 04:57 AM
Some people just have deep set eyes and not an actual fold

I am not confusing this with deep set eyes. Some examples exist of wide eyes with an epicanthic fold. But usually they indeed overlap. Note that many full blood Asians actually lack the fold, even when they have small deep set eyes.

MethCat
09-17-2019, 04:43 PM
I'll tell you I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen present epicathic folds among Norwegians and in all cases it has been in people with Sami heritage. I've not seen a single ethnic Norwegian yet with epicanthic folds. Not saying they don't exist but I've not yet seen it.

Seya
09-18-2019, 08:37 AM
i have a epichanthic fold or not ?

https://i.ibb.co/3Wr40J5/1.png

:D obviously not

Mopi Licinius Crassus
09-18-2019, 08:43 AM
i have a sort of semi-fold ?

https://i.imgur.com/iMLDOLR.jpg

Seya
09-18-2019, 08:52 AM

No :)) u show a lot of upper lid. They’re more deep-set which is the total opposite

Rico33
09-18-2019, 09:09 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-EYlUT50ZwOrfjpa0d2q64Dw54hnHKLl/view?usp=drivesdk
I have small ones. I am obviously not referring to my outer folds, which may destract people from what I am talking about.

Rico33
09-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Double post.

Rico33
09-18-2019, 09:23 AM

My outer lids are similar, but I also have small inner folds.

Rico33
09-18-2019, 09:27 AM
:D obviously not

The position of his eyes is interesting, though.

Seya
09-18-2019, 09:30 AM
My outer lids are similar, but I also have small inner folds.

that's an aging effect...when outer lid becomes droopy

Black Panther
09-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Many Swedes have a slight epicanthic fold. I myself have slightly slanted eyes.

Rico33
09-18-2019, 09:38 AM

I always kind of had them. Both inner and outer. They do look BETTER than they used to, however... More 'in place'.

IrisSelene
09-18-2019, 10:29 AM
that's an aging effect...when outer lid becomes droopyBut I've always had droopy outer lids too and I'm barely 22 now https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190918/265b29504953bd2084396b4445f1f5cc.jpg

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Seya
09-18-2019, 11:10 AM
But I've always had droopy outer lids too and I'm barely 22 now [/IMG]

u have hooded eyes. it's different.
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-12/10/14/enhanced/webdr08/original-20333-1449775696-11.jpg?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto

nittionia
09-18-2019, 11:13 AM
I don’t have this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seya
09-18-2019, 11:19 AM
But I've always had droopy outer lids too and I'm barely 22 now

hooded eyes vs old droopy eyes:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/8b/25/7e8b256e0a6627eb40a7821b40668d64.jpghttps://www.regenerativemedicinenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/aging-eyes-regenerative-medicine.jpg

Pansarkamrat
09-18-2019, 11:23 AM
I dont have epichantic fold but i got hooded Eyes when i whas a Child i had it tough. Dont quote pic.

Rico33
09-18-2019, 11:24 AM
hooded eyes vs old droopy eyes:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7e/8b/25/7e8b256e0a6627eb40a7821b40668d64.jpghttps://www.regenerativemedicinenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/aging-eyes-regenerative-medicine.jpg

My eyes are still more similar to the first one. Except for the color, that is more than similar to the second one.

IrisSelene
09-18-2019, 01:24 PM
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-12/10/14/enhanced/webdr08/original-20333-1449775696-11.jpg?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=autoI always thought mine were a mix of downturned and hooded, not just hooded, bc they go downwards at the end...hooded just means that the upper eyelid drops down and covers the inner one.

Mopi Licinius Crassus
09-18-2019, 07:01 PM

my eyes have always been like that

it's not ageing...i'm still too young for that :D

look at my eyes as a child

same

https://i.imgur.com/RD6IiXh.jpg?1

Məşədi Ağa Elşən Bəy
04-24-2020, 03:43 PM

Karadon
09-22-2020, 08:02 PM
i dont have eye lids

PaleoEuropean
09-22-2020, 08:08 PM
My browbones ate my eyes

Karadon
09-22-2020, 08:18 PM
My browbones ate my eyes

can i eat your browbones sounds something brownie to me

PaleoEuropean
09-22-2020, 08:19 PM
can i eat your browbones

Idk they might bite back, last week they coughed up a raccoon skeleton

Karadon
09-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Idk they might bite back, last week they coughed up a raccoon skeleton

oooh nice i love chubby racoon meat he sure knows what to eat

Benyzero
09-22-2020, 08:26 PM
You tell me

https://i.imgur.com/DGhSDqI.jpg

Benyzero
09-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Copper colored eyes like mortimer said

Jaromir
05-03-2021, 02:56 PM
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-12/10/14/enhanced/webdr08/original-20333-1449775696-11.jpg?downsize=700%3A%2A&output-quality=auto&output-format=auto

hooded master race here

https://i.postimg.cc/CLGgXB5C/mooreyes.jpg

Am I Hun?

travv
05-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Where is Seya? She had non Moorish eyes rare in her region.

Jaromir
05-03-2021, 05:12 PM
Where is Seya? She had non Moorish eyes rare in her region.

good question

Banderas
04-19-2022, 04:24 PM
Are epicanthic folds prevalent among Lapps? Watch this video and observe their eyes, there's not a single epicanthic fold to be found. Rather the polar opposite, they're as far as you can be from having epicanthic folds. Instead of having folds covering their inner eye region they have very well defined and long downturned medial canthuses, moreso than in any other population I've seen so far. As long as the video doesn't happen to be a bad representation of them of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXe5QcunlbE
Other examples of people with long downswung medial canthuses, it creates a sharp and angular appearance in the inner corner of the eye
https://i.imgur.com/3gnpIs3.png

Roy
04-19-2022, 08:29 PM
The dudes above have what people call "hunter eyes".

drb234
08-27-2022, 12:10 PM
I think I have 'hooded eyes'. https://i.postimg.cc/KjPXtnX2/E8911836-B00-E-4-A6-D-AB28-8-A5504960825.jpg

renisenb
06-14-2023, 03:47 PM
Is epicanthic fold a dominant or a recessive trait?

Extremely dominant. Takes a few generations to get rid of it. It's all over the Americas, Asia obviously, Eastern and Northern Europe already, Eastern India, Central Asia. The only populations that don't have it are Africa mostly, Middle East and SouthWestern Europe.

Token
06-15-2023, 05:19 PM
Extremely dominant. Takes a few generations to get rid of it. It's all over the Americas, Asia obviously, Eastern and Northern Europe already, Eastern India, Central Asia. The only populations that don't have it are Africa mostly, Middle East and SouthWestern Europe.
It is not dominant at all. For example, only 15% of the Kirghiz - who are predominantly mongoloid - have epicanthic folds. It is very rare among Latin Americans, except the full or quasi full Amerindian, and very rare among Siberian Uralics who have tons of Asian ancestry.

Token
06-15-2023, 05:23 PM
Epicanthic folds, as far as it can be known, works like blond hair. In mixed (heterozygous) individuals it tends to be dominant in the infancy and is lost gradually when the individual grows. Adults of mixed mongoloid and white ancestry mostly don't have epicanthic folds.