PDA

View Full Version : Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
6nf1OgV449g
Why Switzerland Has The Lowest Crime Rate In The World

The key to freedom is to be able to have the ability to defend yourself &, if you dont have the tools to do that, then youre going to be at the mercy of whomever wants to put you away.

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.

The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.

This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national defence, developed over the centuries.

Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.

Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home.

Once discharged, men serve in the Swiss equivalent of the US National Guard, but still have to train occasionally and are given bolt rifles. Women do not have to own firearms, but are encouraged to.

The Lawspeaker
08-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Too bad they mix in a kind of Holocaust propaganda. But this system of national defence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland) is what I want for my country.

Sarmatian
08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Crime rate is low in Switzerland because small self-governing population of free ethnically united people who capable and prepared to use force wherever its needed naturally clearing itself from any sort of lunatics and exploiters that can bring misery and unfairness upon ordinary folks. Resources more or less fairly distributed so there is no desperately poor people thus no basis for development of anger that drives criminal minds.

Bobcat Fraser
08-05-2012, 01:03 AM
How does Mayor Bloomberg explain this? According to him, powerful guns are too dangerous and destructive to be in the hands of regular citizens. He even wanted the New York City police to strike over this, although that was against his own city's law! You can hear anti-gun activists' heads exploding when they read this article.

Pallantides
08-05-2012, 01:05 AM
There was a similar system in rural Norway in the old days, farmers were required to own weapons and serve in the military. If an enemy force entered the farmers would form Militias to drive out the invaders(a good example of this is Battle of Kringen were Farmers ambushed and defeated a band of Scottish mercenaries)

AR89
08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
There was a similar system in rural Norway in the old days, farmers were required to own weapons and serve in the military. If an enemy force entered the farmers would form Militias to drive out the invaders(a good example of this is Battle of Kringen were Farmers ambushed and defeated a band of Scottish mercenaries)

It was a good idea in the old times, Swiss true defence are their banks, not their soldiers (which have been very good).

Absinthe
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I think decentralization, local administration and relatively low density of inhabitants in each region are also a big factor.

The Lawspeaker
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I think decentralization, local administration and relatively low density of inhabitants in each region are also a big factor.

For short: we should be a bit more like Switzerland. Hmm it wouldn't hurt Greece either, I think ?

Absinthe
08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
For short: we should be a bit more like Switzerland. Hmm it wouldn't hurt Greece either, I think ?
Are you serious? :P One of the main problems of Greece is that more than half of its population is packed in one city alone, the remaining being packed in other smaller cities, the administration of whose is centralized and hence the chaos.

One can find some small oases of cleanness and organization in small municipalities and towns where both the mayor/local administration in general as well as the inhabitants are eager to actively make their community a safer and nicer place.

It's not a coincidence that by far, the most chaotic, dirty, and dangerous municipality of Attica is the municipality of Athens itself, because it is a huge sector with very poor administration, too many inhabitants and overall lack of control over what is going on there, due to the size.

It is funny because I live on the border of two municipalities, municipality of Athens and municipality of Galatsi (the second being a much smaller area).

I live on the bad side, of course, and it's funny how one can immediately observe by standing on the sidewalk, right where the border is, that everything is cleaner, greener, neater, more organized on the other side of the sidewalk :D

But enough about Athens:

yes, I believe decentralization and powerful local administration is something that we can all benefit from. Plus, smaller municipalities give you the advantage of knowing your neighbours better than in chaotic large cities, and hence criminality rates stay low because one can't hide in a small area where people pretty much know each other.

The Lawspeaker
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Are you serious? :P One of the main problems of Greece is that more than half of its population is packed in one city alone, the remaining being packed in other smaller cities, the administration of whose is centralized and hence the chaos.
I am serious. Switzerland also some cities but they aren't nearly as big as Athens. Greece problem is that it's overcentralised so maybe people should be encouraged to return to the countryside and create jobs there instead: decentralise the economy as well as the political system.

yes, I believe decentralization and powerful local administration is something that we can all benefit from. Plus, smaller municipalities give you the advantage of knowing your neighbours better than in chaotic large cities, and hence criminality rates stay low because one can't hide in a small area where people pretty much know each other.
So it would work in principle because Greece also has a large countryside and a lot of small islands. ;) Athens would be a different story though so maybe there should be a different kind of government in Athens and a different style of doing things in the countryside.

Absinthe
08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I am serious. Switzerland also some cities but they aren't nearly as big as Athens. Greece problem is that it's overcentralised so maybe people should be encouraged to return to the countryside and create jobs there instead: decentralise the economy as well as the political system.

Yes!! :thumb001: That's what I keep saying. This would solve at least 50% of the current problems, the local economies would flourish, the big cities would become more liveable, and the beautiful countryside that is now withering away, would be put back on the map. :)
Plus lots of people would get new job opportunities, either in agriculture or tourism or a combination of both. I'm sick of everyone trying to be a manager or an office clerk and spend their lives driving pointlessly in the city. :picard1:

So it would work in principle because Greece also has a large countryside and a lot of small islands. ;) Athens would be a different story though so maybe there should be a different kind of government in Athens and a different style of doing things in the countryside.

It would work, it would take a few decades but in the end Greece would be a much better place! Everybody back to their villages/islands/places of origin, make them grow and prosper, and leave Athens some space to "breathe" and become more liveable.... it's a win-win situation in the end :)

SilverKnight
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
If something ever happens and I'm more stable economically I'm moving there. There's no better thing in this world then peace and a civilize living/ society.

Ctwentysevenj
12-19-2014, 06:33 AM

Wilderswil (Switzerland) (AFP) - Five people were shot dead and a man was seriously injured Monday as two unrelated shooting dramas rocked normally placid Switzerland.

A man is suspected of shooting one woman to death in an apartment in the northern city of Basel before killing another woman and critically injuring a man in a nearby flat, the regional public prosecutor's office said.

Riot police surrounded the apartment of the suspected killer in the evening and arrested him, the statement said, without providing a motive or further details.

The killings came just hours after three bodies were discovered in the Alps town of Wilderswil in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.

One woman and two men had been killed in the shooting near the train station, police said.

"Initial elements indicate that this is a relationship-related crime, and the suspected shooter is one of the two men died," Bern police said in a statement.

Media reported that two men and one woman, all Portuguese citizens, had been killed in a jealousy drama.

According to the Tages Anzeiger daily, the gunman had killed his ex-wife and her new husband, before turning his gun on himself.

Swiss police block off a large area around the crime scene in Wilderswil, southeast of Bern, on Nove…
An acquaintance of the woman told the newspaper that her ex-husband had rung her doorbell and when she opened the door, shot her in the head.

When her new husband, whom she married two months ago, arrived at the scene, he was shot down too.

"She was finally happy again, remarried and with a new job," her boss at the laundromat where she worked told the Blick daily.

The gunman had also reportedly tried to get into the house in what may have been a bid to kill his three children, aged seven to 21, but his eldest daughter slammed the door on him.

The man, who had reportedly been harassing and threatening his ex-wife for some time before the shooting, then took his own life.

Police said the gun used in the shooting had been found.

The shooting dramas shook usually tranquil Switzerland, which is relatively unaccustomed to gun-related crimes.

This despite having one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, since all healthy Swiss men aged between 18 and 34 are obliged to do military service and all are issued with assault rifles or pistols which they are supposed to keep at home.

Ctwentysevenj
12-19-2014, 06:34 AM

Wilderswil (Switzerland) (AFP) - Five people were shot dead and a man was seriously injured Monday as two unrelated shooting dramas rocked normally placid Switzerland.

A man is suspected of shooting one woman to death in an apartment in the northern city of Basel before killing another woman and critically injuring a man in a nearby flat, the regional public prosecutor's office said.

Riot police surrounded the apartment of the suspected killer in the evening and arrested him, the statement said, without providing a motive or further details.

The killings came just hours after three bodies were discovered in the Alps town of Wilderswil in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.

One woman and two men had been killed in the shooting near the train station, police said.

"Initial elements indicate that this is a relationship-related crime, and the suspected shooter is one of the two men died," Bern police said in a statement.

Media reported that two men and one woman, all Portuguese citizens, had been killed in a jealousy drama.

According to the Tages Anzeiger daily, the gunman had killed his ex-wife and her new husband, before turning his gun on himself.

Swiss police block off a large area around the crime scene in Wilderswil, southeast of Bern, on Nove…
An acquaintance of the woman told the newspaper that her ex-husband had rung her doorbell and when she opened the door, shot her in the head.

When her new husband, whom she married two months ago, arrived at the scene, he was shot down too.

"She was finally happy again, remarried and with a new job," her boss at the laundromat where she worked told the Blick daily.

The gunman had also reportedly tried to get into the house in what may have been a bid to kill his three children, aged seven to 21, but his eldest daughter slammed the door on him.

The man, who had reportedly been harassing and threatening his ex-wife for some time before the shooting, then took his own life.

Police said the gun used in the shooting had been found.

The shooting dramas shook usually tranquil Switzerland, which is relatively unaccustomed to gun-related crimes.

This despite having one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, since all healthy Swiss men aged between 18 and 34 are obliged to do military service and all are issued with assault rifles or pistols which they are supposed to keep at home.

Aviator
12-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Guns, White people, and a relatively conservative culture = low crime?

I'm absolutely shocked.

Ctwentysevenj
12-19-2014, 06:41 AM

I'm absolutely shocked.

Looks like they were all Portuguese immigrants involved both victims and the shooter.

Desaix DeBurgh
12-19-2014, 09:16 AM

I'm absolutely shocked.

Yeah, according to my calculations there is less than .05% of the population of Switzerland is black. I bet if there were a significant amount of black people in Switzerland the crime rate wouldn't be low.

StormBringer
12-19-2014, 10:19 AM
There was a case this year of a fella from Bosnia throwing a hand grenade!!! at his wife after they had a fight, in Switzerland.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600572/Wife-surgery-remove-shrapnel-husband-threw-GRENADE-street-following-argument.html

In case his ethnicity ever get's revealed, I'd like to be informed, we like keeping tabs on that sort of stuff around here xD