PDA

View Full Version : Turning into Zimbabwe: The African-style corruption thread

SwordoftheVistula
06-27-2009, 05:38 AM
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20090626&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=90626024&Ref=AR&Profile=1003&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Court Documents:
http://www.freep.com/uploads/pdfs/2009/06/0626_conyers.pdf

http://www.freep.com/uploads/pdfs/2009/06/0626_waiver.pdf

http://www.freep.com/article/20090626/NEWS01/90626024/Conyers+convicted+of+conspiracy

Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers pleaded guilty this morning to conspiring to commit bribery and is free on personal bond.
Advertisement

U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn said, "The defendant now stands convicted."

The one count of conspiring to commit bribery is punishable by up to five years in prison.

No sentencing date has been set.

In court, Conyers’ combative demeanor was gone, replaced by soft-spoken resignation as the judge and his staff several times asked her to speak up.

Conyers, the wife of powerful Democratic congressman U.S. Rep. John Conyers, appeared before Cohn to answer charges in connection with the wide-ranging probe of wrongdoing at Detroit city hall.

She has long been under suspicion in the Synagro Technologies bribery probe, not least because she had been a vocal opponent of the contract before suddenly switching her sentiments. She became the deciding voice in the city council’s 5-4 vote to approve the sludge-hauling deal in November 2007.

“This is not the beginning and it is certainly not the end, folks,” FBI Special Agent in Charge Andy Arena said at a news conference this morning.

Arena said the message to corrupt public officials is, “We’re coming after you.”

U.S. Attorney Terrence Berg, a Detroit resident, said the city corruption probe continues, but this is the end of his office’s investigation “of Synagro-related conduct.”

It remains unclear if federal investigators are still considering Synagro charges against Sam Riddle, the ex-Conyers aide, who court documents suggest was with Conyers when she received at least one of the bribes.

The Free Press previously reported that Riddle is also under investigation for possible corruption in Southfield. In that instance, authorities are looking into whether a pawn shop in that city used undue influence to win quicker approval to move its store to another part of Southfield.

Berg said the plea deal does not require Conyers to cooperate in the ongoing investigation of city corruption.

While Cohn pronounced Conyers convicted, Detroit attorney Bill Goodman said his understanding is that she is not convicted or compelled to leave office until she is sentenced.

Goodman, who represented the City Council in its fight to oust ex-mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, said the city charter requires a council member to step down “the minute he or she is convicted of a felony. In federal court, that process is complete at the sentencing.”

No resignation letter has been submitted by Conyers to Detroit City Council as of this morning, according to the council clerk’s office, Council President Ken Cockrel Jr.’s office and council’s legal office.

The federal plea document released today cites two instances in late 2007, in the days surrounding the approval of the now-infamous Synagro Technologies sludge-hauling contract, when Conyers accepted cash bribes from a Synagro consultant.

The document does not cite the specific amount of the bribes, but previous court documents have said that Conyers, identified by the feds as Council Member A, took at least two bribes of $3,000 each, among other bribes.

In both cases cited in the court documents today, Conyers was handed the cash in an envelope by a individual representing Rayford Jackson, a Detroit businessman doing work for Synagro who pleaded guilty to bribery earlier this month.

On one of those two occasions, Conyers was accompanied by an aide. Previous court documents indirectly identified former Conyers aide and political consultant Sam Riddle as having participated in the bribery scheme.

Rayford Jackson’s brother Lennie is believed to be the courier who met with Conyers.

Elizabeth Jacobs, Lennie Jackson’s attorney, declined to comment on Conyers’ plea or plea document.

“The thing speaks for itself,” Jacobs said today.

The charge reads: Monica Ann Conyers beginning on a date unknown and continuing until or about December 2007, did knowingly and voluntarily conspire and agree with an aide and others to corruptly solicit and demand for the benefit of herself and others and to accept and agree to accept things of value from persons while an agent of the City of Detroit, an entity that received more than $10,000 in federal funding during the calendar year of 2007, with intent that Conyers would be influenced and rewarded in connection with any business transaction or series of transactions of a value of $5,000 or more with the City of Detroit.

Overt acts: On Nov. 20, 2007, at approximately 3:15 p.m., Conyers met with an individual sent by Rayford Jackson in the parking lot at Butzel Family Center and received an envelope containing cash. On Dec. 4, 2007, at approximately 2:30 p.m., an individual sent by Rayford Jackson met Conyers and her aide in a McDonald's parking lot in Detroit at which time the individual delivered an envelope containing cash.

The two bribes, among others, admittedly accepted by Conyers – one on Nov. 20, 2007, the date of the council vote, and a second on Dec. 4, 2007.

The charging document reads: “The payments were made and received as part of an agreement and understanding between defendant and Rayford Jackson … to influence defendant to support the Synagro contract.”

She has been at the center of FBI questioning for months about the city’s sludge disposal contract with Synagro Technologies and her activities as a member of the city pension board.

Under federal sentencing guidelines, Conyers could face 31 to 60 months in prison, depending on how much money the judge believes was involved in the scheme. Conyers’ lawyer and federal prosecutors disagree about the amount of money she received.

After pleading guilty, Conyers left the courtroom through a back door and got into a public elevator on the Fort Street side of the federal courthouse.

Conyers declined to comment on her plea, then refused to allow the doors to close until a Free Press reporter got out of the elevator, which was going up. She stepped out of the elevator and flagged a court employee to have the reporter removed.

“Can someone get her out of here?” Conyers asked after declining to comment on her plea.

The reporter voluntarily got out of the elevator, but Conyers and an unidentified man and woman with her got on another elevator instead.

Former Detroit Police whistle-blower Gary Brown, a city council candidate, said today he was relieved to hear of Conyers’ plea.

“I’m glad,” he said. “This has been anticipated for a long time. Detroiters have been on edge and with the election cycle coming around, if council members are involved in corruption, we need to get that exposed prior to the election. I hope any agreement requires her to forfeit her position immediately. Any other city employee charged criminally would be required to step down.”

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union – which bitterly opposed the Synagro deal – welcomed Conyers’ plea.

“She sold her vote to privatize part of the Detroit Water & Sewerage Department’s core operations, and eliminate over a hundred city worker jobs,” AFSCME Local 207 President John Riehl said in a news release today.

“We would hope that all those that violated the rights of the citizens and city workers in the Synagro case will be charged forthwith, including the top levels of the Synagro Corporation,” Riehl wrote. “All guilty public and private officials must resign and be jailed.”

Riehl added: “Let this be a hard lesson to elected officials and the public: privatization of public services, influence peddling and bribery go hand in hand. Keep the profit motive out of the public’s services!”

The Rev. Spencer Ellis, pastor at Citadel of Praise who says he’s a longtime friend and spiritual adviser to Monica Conyers, called today’s developments “a very unfortunate situation.”

“As a spiritual adviser we pray with her and for her during this difficult time,” Ellis said. “It’s not the end of the world. We look to her future and toward her restoration, mentally, spiritually and physically.”

Ellis says he has not spoken with Conyers, a member of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Detroit, in recent days, but expects he will soon. “I’m not sure about today. I know this is a very trying day.”

In January, James Rosendall, the Michigan-based Synagro vice president, pleaded guilty to a federal bribery charge for his role in the Detroit Synagro contract and was fired by the company.

Rosendall, 44, of Grand Rapids admitted to plying Detroit officials with cash, contributions, chartered flights and a case of Cristal champagne -- which costs thousands of dollars -- to win approval of the $1.2-billion sludge disposal contract.

He is facing 11 months in prison and a fine of up to $200,000 for his role in the scheme, which began in 2001.

Synagro suspended him without pay last summer after the Free Press revealed that federal officials were probing a deal to build a sludge disposal facility in Detroit.

Lulletje Rozewater
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Corruption in the West stand at 1.5 trillion dollars in 2008.
Imagine that amount of money,still Mugabe wants the US to lift sanctions on him and his inner circle.

RoyBatty
06-27-2009, 11:26 AM
The sad thing is that in the UK this Omabongo-style corruption has become mainstream and is now de rigeur amongst the ruling classes, politicians and the administrators of public services. Pretty much every city council and organisation which receives public funding has been infested by greedy criminals, the majority of whom are white.

From a sociological viewpoint it is fascinating to observe just how fast a country such as the UK was able to descend into a no-holds-barred clone of Ukraine or Africa. That's what a decade of Labour rule managed to achieve.

Now that the other parties have had a taste at just how much can be stolen, they'll be expanding on Labour's legacy at their earliest convenience.

Cato
06-28-2009, 03:39 AM
I smell another American revolution in a generation or two.

SwordoftheVistula
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Rapper 'Hurricane Chris' addresses the Louisiana State Legislature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEdJ_tlX2A&fmt=18

Bow bow bow
Bow bow
Bow bow bow
Bow bow
Bow bow bow
Hurricane
Bow bow
Bow bow bow
Bow bow
Bow bow bow

Bum bum bum
Bum bum bum
Bum bum bum
Bum bum bum

She fine den a bitch, ass and her tits
Thick in tha hips every nig want her
Call her Halle Berry, Halle berry
Halle Berry, Halle berry
She walkin like a model
Hands on your knees
Scrub the ground
She ain’t nothing but a tease
Halle Berry, Halle berry
Halle Berry, Halle berry

Well let’s get ratchet
Let’s get ratchet
Look at her prettier then Halle and thicker than Janet
She say she like all of my club bangers I be jamming
Told her to bust it open let me see what’s really happnin
She the ship and I’m the captain
I’m tha captain
Booty bigger than the pus

And I’m all the way in your city
I’m from louisianna so you gotta show me how your
City do it for that camera
Make it drop and bring it back to the top
You no amateur
Girl you can give it to me it ain’t nothing I can’t handle
She just got out of the shower smellin like a scented candle
And I’m finna finna?
Sliding off tha mattress
No moving no acting baby this is real action
Beat it up so bad
You be scared to walk past me
I know your halle berry
Baby there’s no acting
I beat it up so bad
You be scared to walk past me for real

She fine den a bitch ass and her tits
Halle Berry, Halle berry
She walkin like a model
Hands on your knees
Scrub the ground
Halle Berry, Halle berry, Halle berry
Halle Berry, Halle berry

Halle berry you jazze
That’s way past fine
Girl you look like something that should be on tha dance line
Increadable by tha waist
Pluss she got a pretty face
Even tho she got class she listen to UGK
I’m finna flip her through traffic
With tha top back of tha donk
Girl I gaurntee I can make you go numb numb numb numb
I got enough bread to take me and you to London
And back to America and all over the country
She make me want to keep her close by
Like a side kick
She tha type of chick that ain’t gone never look sloppy
I’m a beat it out the frame
Hurricane that’s who I be
You must be Halle berry
I don’t need to see your Id

Halle Berry, Halle berry
She walkin like a model
Hands on your knees
Scrub the ground
Halle Berry, Halle berry
Halle Berry, Halle berry

Gone bob your head
Gone work your shoulder
Now what I just said girl do it on tha dick
Age ain’t shit
I done got a lil older
Me or you man baby girl take a pic
Whitch one
She so classy, Shes so jazzy
Lil momma blow like a
Do it on tha dick
She don’t need no help
She say she got it
She do it all by her self
Get so fine
Like a god damn ticket
Gave her a hickey
In order for a nig like me to spend cash
You gotta bounce like shocks in your ass
You, bed, ass, work
Start slow faster
Mr. Halle Berry
Mr.Take your bitch
Take her from tha club
To tha car to tha dick

Halle Berry, Halle berry
She walkin like a model
Hands on your knees
Scrub the ground
Halle Berry, Halle berry, Halle berry
Halle Berry, Halle berry

Tony
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Founding Fathers would turn in their grave , this ain't non longer for sure the country they expected to be.

SwordoftheVistula
07-05-2009, 12:23 PM
http://deceiver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/marion_barry.jpg

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090705/D9988JVG0.html

Police say former Washington Mayor Marion Barry has been arrested and charged with stalking a woman.

The United States Park Police said Barry, a current D.C. Council member, was arrested Saturday in Washington after a woman flagged down an officer and complained that Barry was stalking her.

Barry was charged with misdemeanor stalking and released.

A message left seeking comment from a spokeswoman for Barry wasn't immediately returned early Sunday.

Barry served four terms as mayor. In his third, he was videotaped in 1990 in a hotel room smoking crack cocaine in an FBI sting. He served six months in prison and in 1994 regained the mayor's office.

SwordoftheVistula
03-30-2010, 04:26 AM
http://dailycaller.firenetworks.com/001646/dailycaller.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/352e7d358e804367a34106bb0cc21f0c-300x231.jpg

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/29/high-flyer-rnc-chairman-steele-suggested-buying-private-jet-with-gop-funds/2/

According to two knowledgeable sources, Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele once raised the possibility of using party money to buy a private jet for his travel.

“I know that … regular ongoing use of planes was something that was looked at,” says one person with direct knowledge. “I can’t speak to how serious those inquiries were.” Both sources say Steele considered purchasing a plane outright, or buying fractional ownership in one, through a company such as NetJets.

Steele’s spokesman, Doug Heye, did not deny that such discussions took place, responding that the RNC never had a “plan” to buy a plane. “I don’t know what somebody might have discussed or might not have discussed.”

While Steele has not purchased a plane, he continues to charter them. According to federal disclosure records, the RNC spent $17,514 on private aircraft in the month of February alone (as well as $12,691 on limousines during the same period). There are no readily identifiable private plane expenses for Democratic National Committee chairman Tim Kaine in the DNC’s last three months of filings.

The RNC explains that Steele charters jets only when commercial service is unavailable, or when his tight schedule requires it. “Anytime the chairman has taken any private travel has been a either to a route that doesn’t exist or because of connections and multiple travel to where he just wasn’t able to do so,” Heye said. Yet Steele’s office repeatedly refused to explain in specific terms the circumstances of the February charter flights.

Once on the ground, FEC filings suggest, Steele travels in style. A February RNC trip to California, for example, included a $9,099 stop at the Beverly Hills Hotel, $6,596 dropped at the nearby Four Seasons, and $1,620.71 spent [update: the amount is actually $1,946.25] at Voyeur West Hollywood, a bondage-themed nightclub featuring topless women dancers imitating lesbian sex.

RNC trips to other cities produced bills from a long list of chic and costly hotels such as the Venetian and the M Resort in Las Vegas, and the W (for a total of $19,443) in Washington. A midwinter trip to Hawaii cost the RNC $43,828, not including airfare.

Steele himself declined numerous interview requests, though his defenders point out that luxurious accommodations are sometimes necessary to attract big-time donors, especially since Republicans remain in the minority in Washington.

Still, the nature and size of Steele’s expenses are likely to reignite persistent complaints from high-end donors and key party figures that the RNC is bleeding cash in the months before a pivotal midterm election. Several months into Steele’s term as chairman, his spending spurred Republican committeemen to pass a resolution requiring checks to be signed by at least two RNC officers, and contracts over $100,000 to go out to competitive bidding.

Complaints, almost always expressed off the record, have been bitter. “This is not somebody who is out recruiting candidates,” said an aide who worked closely with Steele. “He is not meeting with donors. He’s not asking for money. The guy is writing his book or doing his speaking gigs, or whatever the hell else he fills his days with. Those are his priorities.”

A March 20 FEC filing shows the RNC has $9.5 million cash on hand. Steele began his tenure with $22.8 million, and has since raised $96.2 million. During the same period, however, the RNC has spent $109.6 million, for a deficit of $13.4 million. That spending included aid to the campaigns that elected Gov. Bob McDonnell in Virginia and Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey.

“The story is less what’s left, and more what’s been spent,” said one longtime Republican operative. “It’s difficult to draw distinctions between various elections because the circumstances are so different. But what is worthy of scrutiny is the March cash on hand versus where it was January or February last year, which is essentially the same picture. And that comes despite having raised more than $90 million dollars.”

According to spokesman Heye, the RNC is right on track with fundraising. “We’re very comfortable with where we are financially and we know that we’ll have the resources on the ground to be competitive in November as we move forward to try and take back the House and Senate.” He noted the RNC had outraised the DNC in seven out of 12 months in 2009 and was raising gobs of money in the wake of President Obama signing health care reform legislation into law.