PDA

View Full Version : Post Xmas,Christmas,Yule,Saturnalia cuisine recipes

Oresai
12-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I don`t know about other countries, but here in Britain these pies are traditionally eaten at Jul/Xmas. :)

Mince pies

by Sue Lawrence
from Book of Baking

Makes 12 pies

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

Ingredients
350g/12oz high quality mincemeat, preferably homemade
200g/7oz plain flour, sifted
40g/1½oz golden caster sugar
75g/2¾oz ground almonds
125g/4½oz unsalted butter, diced
1 large free-range egg, beaten
milk, to glaze

Method
1. Lightly butter a 12-hole pie or patty tin. Tip the mincemeat into a bowl and stir so that the liquid is evenly distributed.
2. Place the flour, sugar, almonds and butter in a food processor and process briefly until resembling breadcrumbs, then slowly add the egg through the feeder tube. (Or rub the butter into the dry ingredients by hand and stir in the egg.)
3. Bring the mixture together with your hands, wrap in clingfilm and chill for an hour or so. Thinly roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Cut out 12 circles with a fluted pastry cutter, large enough to fill the base of the prepared tin. Press gently into each hole, then fill with the mincemeat.
4. Cut out another 12 slightly smaller discs and use to cover the mincemeat. Press the edges together to seal. Make a small slit in the top of each, then brush lightly with milk. Chill for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
5. Bake the pies for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and serve warm.

Oresai
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Christmas mincemeat

by Lotte Duncan

Makes 6-8 jars

Preparation time overnight

Cooking time over 2 hours

Ingredients
For 6lb mincemeat:
12oz (350g) seedless raisins
8oz (225g) sultanas
8oz (225g) currants
4oz (110g) cut mixed peel
4oz (110g) chopped dried prunes
12oz (350g) soft brown sugar
1lb (450g) cooking apples - peeled, cored and grated
8oz (225g) shredded suet
grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2oz (50g) chopped almonds
2oz (50g) chopped pecan nuts
1 tbsp (15g) mixed spice
1 tsp (5g) freshly grated nutmeg
5fl oz (150ml) brandy

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together, except half the brandy in a large ovenproof bowl and cover and leave to stand overnight.
2. The next day, preheat the oven to 110C/225F/Gas ¼, cover the bowl with foil and place in the oven for about 3 hours.
3. Allow to cool, then mix in the rest of the brandy and put into sterilised jars.

Note: If possible, this mincemeat needs to mature for at least two weeks before using. Once sealed, it can keep for at least a year.

Alison
12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Ooooh, I LOVE mince pies! The shop ones are simply dreadful though. I'll make my own this year from this recipe. Thanks. :)

Oresai
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
This might sound `yuck` to others, but if you add grated cheddar cheese to the pastry mix, you don`t taste it but it really makes creamy, buttery pastry. :D

Alison
12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Ooooh, no, that sounds wonderful. Wonderful! What proportion?

Oresai
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Eek, I usually guess! :D
I throw a handful of grated cheese into the mix before adding any liquid, and that usually does the trick. :)

Alison
12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking that the saltiness of the cheese, the richness of it, will balance the sweetness of the minced fruit. I am so excited! I'll also just go with my instincts. :) Ta, dollink!

Oresai
12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Since it`s that time o` year, here is a Yule log recipe too. :)

Yule log
Serves 6-8

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

This is a great alternative to a Christmas fruit cake that kids and adults will all love.
Ingredients
30g/1oz plain flour
30g /1oz cocoa powder
7frac14; tsp of salt
3 large eggs, separated
¼ tsp of cream of tartar
110g/4oz caster sugar
2 drops almond essence
For the buttercream filling:
100g /3½ oz butter
150g/5oz icing sugar
55g/2oz cocoa powder
a splash of brandy or rum
caster sugar for, dusting
cocoa powder, for sifting

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350 Gas 4. Grease a 23 cm x 33 cm Swiss roll tin and line with baking parchment.
2.To make the sponge: sift the flour, cocoa and salt together and set aside. Sprinkle a large piece of greaseproof paper with caster sugar and set aside.
3. Put the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and whisk until stiff. Gradually add the sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks.
4. Place the sugar in a bowl and the egg yolks and whisk until pale and thick. Add the almond essence.
5. Using a large metal spoon stir in the reserved flour and cocoa mixture. Finally, lightly fold in the egg whites until well blended - take care not to beat the air out of the mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the Swiss roll tin and level the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until sponge-like to the touch.
7. Turn the sponge onto the greaseproof paper dusted with caster sugar. Peel away the baking parchment and roll the sponge with the greaseproof paper inside. Leave to cool.
For the Buttercream:
1. Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until smooth and then gradually beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Add the brandy and mix well.
2. Once the sponge has cooled unroll it carefully and spread it with half the filling and roll it up again - without the greaseproof paper this time.
3. Spread the rest of the filling over the cake to cover it. Score it with a fork to resemble a log and dust with cocoa powder. Decorate with a sprig of holly.

Oresai
12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/wltee/Cakes/XmasYule.jpg

Alison
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Nyummy! Nyummy! I love chocolate. :)

Vulpix
12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Omg :eek::yumyum:!!! Got to try this sometime :candycane1:thumb001:....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/wltee/Cakes/XmasYule.jpg

Loki
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm eating Sainsbury mince pies right now, with a cup of steaming coffee. :coffee: This is going down well, refreshing after having walked for almost 4 hours today in the cold.

Aemma
12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Ok, here's a nice easy cookie to make which is not too sweet and very festive and somewhat reminiscent of Christmas cake in look at any rate. This was my Dad's favourite Christmas cookie which my Mom made every year. I hope you enjoy it, Arctic Fox. :)

***Before anything, turn on your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (your oven should always already be at the correct temperature before you insert your goods for baking)***

--2/3 cup shortening (Crisco that kind of thing, NOT lard though; you can probably substitute with butter or margarine though, however I've not ever tried)

--1 cup brown sugar

--2 eggs, well beaten

--2 tablespoons milk

--2 cups flour

--1 tsp. baking powder

--1/4 teaspoon baking soda

--1/4 teaspoon salt

--1/2 teaspoon vanilla (try to get the pure vanilla extract it is much better than the artificial, though more expensive; they come in very little bottles too so it costs less if you don't bake very often :))

Directions:

Cream shortening (ie., beat it to death with an electric mixer or hand mixer or wooden spoon if you want a work out LOL). Add sugar gradually, beating between additions. (See I told you there was beating involved!) Add eggs and mix well. Sift dry ingredients. Add alternately with liquid to above mixture (which is your milk; always add in this order for cookies and cakes: dry-wet-dry). Add vanilla. Then add the following ingredients:

--1 cup of red and green cherries (maraschino kind ya know); measure them out first and then cut them in halves or quarters

--1 cup of raisins (we use Thompson raisins here in Canada pretty much; you might want to dust them with a bit of flour before putting them in the batter, this way they mix better by clinging to the batter)

--1 cup of walnuts (measure them out and then coarsely chop)

--1 cup of chocolate chips (well for fun, get 1 cup for the cookie mix and 1/2 cup for yourself to munch on ;))

More directions:

Now mix this lumpy batter until the fun ingredients are covered in batter and everything is pretty well mixed nicely. Get your cookie pans/sheets out. If they are non-stick you might want to lightly spray them with a cooking spray. If they are just plain metal, grease them lightly. Now drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes but watch them at the end since oven temperatures do vary. When they are baked (bottom should look nice and not scorched!!) Take them out of the oven. Let cool for a minute or so on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack. Hmm if you don't have a cooling rack don't fret, just take them off the cookie sheet to cool off somewhere and so you can reuse the cookie sheet.

And those are my family's Christmas Drop Cookies. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Treffie
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I think I've eaten too many mince pies this year - I'm having difficulty walking!:(

larali
10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I was thinking about trying out some German recipes this Christmas. Can anyone share some traditional German Christmas recipes (or a link to a book would be good too)? Thanks in advance.

CelticViking
08-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/detail.aspx

CelticViking
08-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Healthy Pie :)

Ep 1 - Steak & cheese pie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steak and cheese pie

Makes 4

1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
250g rump steak, sliced into stir fry strips
2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
12 cherry tomatoes
4 x 10 cm diameter volauvent cases, precooked, warm
1 cup cooked potato
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp reduced fat milk
Pepper to taste
1 tsp grated Parmesan

Preheat grill.

Heat a heavy-based pan. Spray with oil and add onion and garlic. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.

Add beef, mushrooms and mustard and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.

Add tomatoes.

Pile mixture into warm volauvent cases.

Mash potato with olive oil, milk and pepper to taste.

Place in a piping bag and pipe potato onto the top of each pie.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Place under preheated grill until potato is golden.

http://tvnz.co.nz/the-food-truck/ep-1-steak-cheese-pie-4174304

LouisFerdinand
03-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Hungarian Balish Pastry

http://www.eatingininstead.com/2012/12/16/apricot-balish/

LouisFerdinand
12-18-2017, 02:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvTJ4tGrhc