PDA

View Full Version : North American cuisine recipes

Frigga
04-18-2009, 01:13 AM
This is my chili recipe, that I've been making for the last, oh 15 years! :eek: It is an excellent recipe, and never fails to garner me compliments! :wink

Chili:
1 pound hamburger
1 onion, diced
Some cooking fat; olive oil, butter, lard, tallow, you get the idea
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 14 ounce cans of beans, 1 kidney, 1 black
2 6 ounce cans of tomato paste
1 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup brown rice
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Drain the beans in a strainer and run water over the beans to rinse off the canning liquid. Very important, this rinses off a lot of the sugars that will contribute to gas. Brown the meat and onions in a saucepot with the cooking fat until crumbly and brown. Add the tomato paste first, then the canned tomatoes, and rinsed beans, and corn, and rice. Add water to your desired consistency. Add seasonings. Cover, and allow to gently simmer for several hours. The rice needs to be cooked through. It can cook all day. A crockpot also works after the browning process. Serve with cornbread, or biscuits!

:)

Skandi
04-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Interesting I never put the rice in the chilli, and I always use dried beans but apart from that this looks almost the same as my recipe.

Frigga
04-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I put in the canned beans, as that's what most people are familiar with. Glad you like it! :)

YggsVinr
04-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Interesting, I don't think I've even heard of chili with rice as an ingredient before! I tend to add a bit of red vinegar, garlic, and a lot of mushrooms as well (mainly because I love mushrooms!). I'll have to give this a try! Thanks! *loves trying out new chili recipes*

Skandi
05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Serves 3-5 larger number is with the stuffing, see below!

This was tonight's dinner and it was good!

500g pork mince
two onions
two eating apples
2tbs flour
1 egg
salt
pepper
sage/thyme/oregano

finely chop the onions and apples and fry slowly until the onions are transparent and soft.
mix everything together, shape into a loaf and bake at 150C for 45 mins

I stuffed mine with this mixture:
Take three tbs of the apple and onion mince and fry with 1/2 cup pinhead oatmeal, add 1 cup of water and stir till this has been absorbed, the make the meatloaf with this in the middle.

Makes it go even further!

I've really mixed up the measurements for this...tough!

Solwyn
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm coming to your house for dinner!!!!:thumb001:

Treffie
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
*Prints off recipe* ;)

Frigga
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
This is a tasty dish that my boyfriend taught me, as he used to work as a prep cook, and this was the head chef's house specialty. You can use any shape pasta, but it works best with penne, or fusilli, or bowtie. It can make a lot, so I'd plan it for a crowd. It also tastes good hot or cold, but I prefer it hot. You can use any vegetables for the most part, but the ones I list are essenstial for the first time you make it, and from there you can modify as you wish.

You will need:
~1 pound pasta
~2-3 8 ounce cartons of pesto sauce, preferably a creamy one, or enough of homemade, depending on how "saucy" you like your pasta
~2 boneless, skinless chicken breast havles, cut into thin small strips about the size of your pinky finger. You will want about a pound for the recipe as written, more if there are more veggies.
~1 head broccoli, the flowers cut up very small, if you use the stalk as well, peel that, and dice it fine
~1 onion, minced
~3 carrots, at least, diced fine
~2 zucchini, diced, not as small as the carrots
~2 summer squash, diced, the same size as zucchini
You can now add anything else that sounds tasty, the more you add, the more chicken you should add as well. Suggestions are: Bell peppers, tomatoes, peas, eggplant, etc.
~Hard salty cheese like Parmesan, grated
~olive oil, or butter, or both

Boil the pasta in lots of water, salted and oiled if you wish, and then drain when done.

In a very large saute pan, heat the oil, and add the chicken. When the chicken is cooked through, add the vegetables, and cook until almost soft. You want them "al dente".

In a separate saucepan, slowly heat up the pesto. You don't want it to burn.

Toss the pasta with the pesto, and then the vegetables with the pasta. Sprinkle the cheese on top, and if desired, serve with a crusty, country bread.

:)

Piparskeggr
08-31-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey all;

I like to make chili in any number of varieties...usually in my 6 qt crockpot.

#1 - Basic Chili: 2 T vegetable oil, 1# coarse ground lean beef - lightly browned, drained and crumbled, 3 sm green chili peppers - chopped, 1 lg white onion - coarse chopped, 1 lg can diced tomatoes - drained, 1 T chili powder, 2 c cooked red kidney beans plus 2 c "bean water," 1 t ea black, white and red pepper,

In a heavy pot heat the oil and then stir in the beef, chilies and onion until the onion has just turned golden brown and limp. Stir in the tomatoes and chili powder for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, bean water and +other peppers, , turn heat to low and simmer 30 minutes...

more tomorrow - Pip

Bloodeagle
08-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey all;

I like to make chili in any number of varieties...usually in my 6 qt crockpot.

#1 - Basic Chili: 2 T vegetable oil, 1# coarse ground lean beef - lightly browned, drained and crumbled, 3 sm green chili peppers - chopped, 1 lg white onion - coarse chopped, 1 lg can diced tomatoes - drained, 1 T chili powder, 2 c cooked red kidney beans plus 2 c "bean water," 1 t ea black, white and red pepper,

In a heavy pot heat the oil and then stir in the beef, chilies and onion until the onion has just turned golden brown and limp. Stir in the tomatoes and chili powder for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, bean water and +other peppers, , turn heat to low and simmer 30 minutes...

more tomorrow - Pip
My chili is very similar, except that I only use pinto beans with my chili and I add a little masa flour to thicken. :)

CelticViking
08-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Ingredients
oil for deep frying
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 egg
1 cup milk
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
1. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Combine flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a large bowl. Whisk together the egg and milk in a small bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, and then roll in the flour blend. Repeat so that each piece of chicken is double coated. Refrigerate breaded chicken for 20 minutes.
3. Fry chicken in the hot oil, in batches. Cook until the exterior is nicely browned, and the juices run clear, 5 to 6 minutes a batch.
4. Combine hot sauce and butter in a small bowl. Microwave sauce on High until melted, 20 to 30 seconds. Pour sauce over the cooked chicken; mix to coat.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boneless-buffalo-wings/detail.aspx

The Lawspeaker
08-07-2012, 05:32 AM
http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/00/13/33/133345.jpg

Canadian Molasses Cookies (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/canadian-molasses-cookies/detail.aspx)

Prep Time:
10 Min
Cook Time:
Min Ready In:
1 Hr 25 Min

Ingredients

1 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl, stir together the molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, and egg. Sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture. Mix until well blended. Spoon the dough by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
Bake until edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes before removing.