PDA

View Full Version : Greece's purge on illegal immigrants

Piper
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
"The Greek authorities are rounding up thousands of suspected illegal immigrants in a large-scale deportation drive.

Up to 6,000 were detained over the weekend in Athens and more than 1,600 are to be deported in the next few days.

Public Order Minister Nikos Dendias said Greece could not afford an ‘invasion of immigrants’." the rest of the article can be found here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184455/Greeces-purge-illegal-immigrants-Thousands-rounded-ready-deportation.html).

:thumb001: Go Greece! I hope the rest of European countries will dare to take similar actions soon. The economic crisis is as good of a reason as any, if not better.

jerney
08-07-2012, 04:51 PM
1,600 out of the hundreds of thousands? :lol:

Piper
08-07-2012, 04:53 PM
It's a good start with a good message. How many did other countries toss out recently?

Contra Mundum
08-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I hope they keep it up. Time for Greece to take out the trash.

jerney
08-07-2012, 04:57 PM
It's not going to last so it doesn't really make a difference

Graus
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately nothing but a drop in the bucket, Greek borders are just way too vulnerable. And with Schengen it really is a problem for all of us.
They should mine the most notorious spots...

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Well, WHERE are they deporting them to? Another European country or back to the hellhole they came from?

The Lawspeaker
08-07-2012, 05:13 PM
1,600 out of the hundreds of thousands? :lol:

Ach.. it looks good for the camera's. Are there any elections coming up ?

Well, WHERE are they deporting them to? Another European country or back to the hellhole they came from?
I wouldn't be too surprised if they would do the first and pull a Berlusconi: kicking them all into Bulgaria so they will spread over the rest of the EU.

Piper
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Ach.. it looks good for the camera's. Are there any elections coming up ?

I wouldn't be too surprised if they would do the first and pull a Berlusconi: kicking them all into Bulgaria so they will spread over the rest of the EU.

Maybe the Greek TA members can tell us more, as they have easier access to the Greek media?

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 05:20 PM

That's what I'm afraid of.

kabeiros
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I can't think of an easy way to get out of this mess. How are we going to deport legally hundreds of thousands of people back to Asia and Africa?

arcticwolf
08-07-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't think of an easy way to get out of this mess. How are we going to deport legally hundreds of thousands of people back to Asia and Africa?

Keep on doing it and don't stop until you're done, don't let new ones in. I know it sounds mundane and systematic, but my bet is it will work in the long run. ;)

Γέλως
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised if they would do the first and pull a Berlusconi: kicking them all into Bulgaria so they will spread over the rest of the EU.They are deported to their countries of origin. Another stupid post of yours...

The Lawspeaker
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
They are deported to their countries of origin. Another stupid post of yours...

Says you. We all know what the Italians did.

Absinthe
08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Greece cannot "deport" immigrants to any country other than the one they originate from.

Even if the illegal immigrant is, say, from Iran, but he first went through Russia, and spent a couple of years, then came to Greece, still he can only be deported back to Iran.

The illegals that flee to other European countries from Greece, do so illegally (the same way they entered Greece in the first place). They can go to central Europe by crossing the Balkans, or they can take a fishing boat to Italy, etc.

The problem is that in order for Greece to deport an illegal, his country of birth must be somehow proven.

So if an illegal does not have any papers whatsoever (which is most often the case), he cannot be deported as there is no place to deport him.

Hence, these people are "detained" for a while and then let back out on the streets.

The other problem is that these "broom operations" should take place every day for a long period of time and then it would still take months (or years) until no illegal immigrant is left.

Assuming we managed to bypass the problem of one having no papers to account for his origin, we still don't have the space or resources to handle an operation of this magnitude.

And even if we did, there is no political will, and there's always the bleeding hearts who take over and influence the public opinion.

So basically jerney is right, this is just for pretenses (and votes) and it doesn't solve shit, it only makes matters worse because after the "broom operations" end, the people are let loose on the street and are even angrier than before towards the host country.

This should be either done properly or thoroughly, or not at all.