PDA

View Full Version : Italians: Which Romance language is the most difficult for you to understand?

Sikeliot
08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
French, Portuguese (European version), Spanish (European version), Catalan, or Romanian, when you hear it out loud?

Apina
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Spoken French or Portuguese (though I speak Portuguese now, it was hard/unintelligible to begin). Catalan and Romanian are closest I think phonologically and written. French, Spanish and Portuguese is close written too.

Kazuma
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Romanian, spoken and written.
Follows Portuguese spoken.

Sicilianu101
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Romanian & French spoken

Comte Arnau
08-15-2012, 04:16 PM
To help Italians in their decision, the same Harry Potter trailer in Catalan, French, Portuguese (Brazilian) and Spanish. (Can't find it in Romanian :()

Catalan
eRDI8DnQlpI

French
EuThtw__ZY4

Portuguese (Brazil)
oAl_51YlfcM

Spanish
Km0bCyh15X4

Tony
08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Spoken French when it's spoken fastly.

Dacul
08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Imago Dei told I could pass anywhere in Italy as native from there so I voted also.
:p

Prince Carlo
08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Spoken Romanian sounds like a slavic language to me.

Arbėrori
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
My friend said that she barely understands Romanian, apart from
some words & she isn't fluent in other Romance languages aswell.

Dacul
08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
My friend said that she barely understands Romanian, apart from some words & she isn't fluent in other Romance languages aswell.

She is not fluent in other romance languages?
Or she is?

Arbėrori
08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
She is not fluent in other romance languages?
Or she is?

She is not fluent, but she quite understands them.:D

Tony
Spoken Romanian sounds like a slavic language to me.

To me it sounds gentler.
Slavic tongues are harsher, definitely.

Arbėrori
To me it sounds gentler.
Slavic tongues are harsher, definitely.

Romanian gives me Albanian vibes at times,
it definitely sounds gentler.

Dacul
08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Well as common words romanian is much closer to italian than france is to italian.
I understand french better than portuguesse because I studied a lot of years french otherwise I would not.
But italian I understand much better than french and I never studied,lol.

Arbėrori
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Well as common words romanian is much closer to italian than france is to italian.

Well I don't know, it might be the vibe or something she gets?:confused:

Apina
08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
mmm. il rumeno sempre mi e' sembrato piu simile all'italiano che, per esempio, il francese (specialmente quando si parla, ma anche quando si scrive)... il portoghese ed il francese, per me, sono molto piu difficili da capire :confused2:

askra
08-17-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm undecided between portuguese and romanian.
I have difficult to understand the spoken portuguese, romanian and sometimes also the french, but i understand a bit the written forms of these languages. While i understand very well spanish and catalan, both the written and the spoken form, though i have never studied them.

deutschbag
08-19-2012, 11:26 PM
I speak perfect Spanish and Italian, and I'm also quite fluent in Venetian. I found Portuguese quite similar to Spanish and Catalan shares lots of words with Spanish, but also with Italian and Venetian (some say Venetian is kind of an italian-catalan-spanish hybrid so it must help some way :confused:).
On the other hand French sounds like a more gentle (and of course, romanized) German language and I have to say that I don't understand much when spoken, but written is pretty simple.

That being said, I must choose Romanian because it sounds slavic to me too, and I don't get a thing when they speak it. But I have no idea about the written form :P

Peyrol
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Romanian, Moldovan romanian, istro-romanian, daco-romanian, portugal portuguese, forlan.

Corvus
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Romanian is not intelligible at all

Lįbaru
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Not Galego/Galician?

MarceloBielsa
10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I speak french and i understand spanish

Mauritius
10-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, surely Romanian as it sets itself apart from the other Romance languages because of the huge Slavic influence, on the vocabulary (even the most common Romance words are often replaced) and, especially, on the phonology.. I know many will deny this influence, but it's present, it can't be argued that it sounds very Slavic because of its history, there's no way it sounds similar to some Italian dialects as some say, and it's also very different from Lusitan Portuguese (their so called "slavic similarities" are just a product of a mere partial listening of the language, as its intonation, for example, is more normal and less heavy than the one found in many Slavic languages; as an Italian I love European Portuguese) .. French and Portuguese may sounds equally "strange" when spoken, but they're pretty Romance-like, and, especially, are influential ones, and every Romance nation has some knowledge of those languages (in addition, Portuguese is lexically similar to Spanish)

Mauritius
10-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Not Galego/Galician?
People tend (sometimes sadly) to concentrate on the national and therefore most influential languages; in addition mediatic Galician is corrupted by Spanish influence and sounds Castilian like, and it's quite "unnatural" sounding... But I personally love pure Galician spoken in the peripheral areas.. In addition, I personally dislike some characteristics of Castillian Spanish, mainly the intonation and the "quick rate of speech" ”, and I find this mixing not very good.. again, I love pure Galego!