PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair

Laudanum
06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I've read on the internet that curly hair is not nordic. I've even read that it comes from the negro race. But aren't ''white curls'' totally diffrent from black curls?

http://modelvolume.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/taylor-swift-photos.jpg
Example 1
http://www.hji.co.uk/hjimages/images/qhs185/hji/medium/2006-afro-curls.jpg
Example 2

I have curly hair, and i look nordic, so i'm pretty confused. Could anyone help me?

Útrám
06-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I've read on the internet that curly hair is not nordic. I've even read that it comes from the negro race. But aren't ''white curls'' totally diffrent from black curls?

This thread's credibility falls short right about there. Curly hair is not exclusive to anyone, even among the orientals the most straight-haired people it can occur.

Laudanum
06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
This thread's credibility fall short right about there. Curly hair is not exclusive to anyone, even among the orientals the most straight-haired people it can occur.

Yes, like for instance, i have a brother, and his hair isn't curly at all.

Tabiti
06-29-2009, 07:12 PM
There is a difference between curly, wavy and frizzly hair...

P.S. I'm with very straight, soft hair. Am I Asian?

Laudanum
06-29-2009, 08:36 PM
There is a difference between curly, wavy and frizzly hair...

P.S. I'm with very straight, soft hair. Am I Asian?

My hair is something between wavy and curly i think..

Tabiti
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Kinky hair:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z131/Afrobella/P32206632.jpg

Curly hair (girl says it is natural):
http://www.short-hair-style.com/images/a-new-look-for-curly-hair-14079.jpg
Wavy hair (most common type in Europe I guess):
http://whoorl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ashley_after.jpg

Laudanum
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
My hair is different.. It doens't look like the second picture, and also not like the first. Ik more looks like the first picture i posted. And maybe a litte bit like the last picture you posted.

Tabiti
06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
If you don't have the first type (kinky hair) you don't have what to worry about;)

Laudanum
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, thanks for helping me. :)

quotablepatella
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I probably have wavy hair, but I usually have it cut quite short so I don't know for sure.

Curtis24
02-29-2012, 07:01 PM
What subraces are more known for curly hair? Why did it develop? What other morpholigical traits is it associated with?

Pallantides
02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Tuva Syvertsen
http://i.imgur.com/WrHsO.jpg

Dan Břrge
http://gfx.nrk.no/aTEmstzwnX_UZHod1cdL2AMKYgZlcSU-3fPJEMpmAstw.jpg

What subraces are more known for curly hair? Why did it develop? What other morpholigical traits is it associated with?

Maybe Brünn

leisitox
02-29-2012, 07:21 PM
I will tell you that the european curly hair is not the same as negro curly hair.
CM derivates have a tendency to have straight-wavy, wavy or curly hair.
Brunns for example.

Grumpy Cat
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
It's a sign of Jewish ancestry, obviously!

/sarcasm

billErobreren
02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd say Brunn, they are often stereotyped to have curly or red hair. you'll also see many Danes, Irish & Dutch folks with curly or wavy hair

Tuva Syvertsen
http://i.imgur.com/WrHsO.jpg

Dan Břrge
http://gfx.nrk.no/aTEmstzwnX_UZHod1cdL2AMKYgZlcSU-3fPJEMpmAstw.jpg

whoa, There's something you don't see everyday. Norwegians who kept curly blonde locks as adults.

Mosov
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Well I have wavy hair, but I can get it curly given the right length and combing. But I usually cut it short anyway.

Sikeliot
02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Brunns for Northern Europe and East Meds for Southern Europe.

Maybe Armenoids too, not sure. But they aren't a European type really.

Saruman
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Brunn Cromagnids and some related forms as well, I've seen it among Faelids as well. Also among certain Mediterranid types if we speak about Europe.

safinator
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
My hair when it gets pretty long can become curly.

Queen B
03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I have wavy hair, just like my mom, but my father has curly hair, from his mother's side (Pelloponese, Kalamata)

Dombra
03-16-2013, 11:29 PM
How common is curly hair in Europe? In south it´s more common than in the north anyways? Maybe some one got some %?

Dacul
03-17-2013, 12:16 AM
See that is here a description of norwegian people who went to colonise Iceland,remained from almost 1000 years ago.
A significant percentage of them had curly hair.
Do not think at South Western Europeans curly hair is more present that at Northern Europeans.
I think is more present in Turkey and Greece.
In Romania curly hair is very rare and because of that,very appreciated.
(I think is something like 5% of the people of romanian ancestry have curly hair).
Eastern European people have very rare curly hair and at most of them curly hair is considered something very beautiful.

Oneeye
03-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Obviously only wogs have curly hair.

:worship:

Grumpy Cat
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Curly hair is a Celtic trait.

Caismeachd
03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
On 23andme it tells me my hair is meant to be curlier than average. So I must carry the genes for it. My younger brother had curly hair. Mine is completely straight though. I've noticed a lot of Welsh folks have very curly hair.

Jackson
03-17-2013, 12:34 AM
I don't think it can be assigned to one group per-se, but it seems more common in the south of Europe and more common in the west of Europe than in the east. My father's parents both have curly hair, i think naturally.

Peikko
03-17-2013, 12:36 AM
I think most Scandinavians and Finns have either straight or wavy hair. Maybe wavy is the most common.

Oneeye
03-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Curly hair seems to be a trait that skips generations in my family.

Also, since me and a couple of my brothers have had our hair become curly/ier after hitting puberty, I can't help but wonder if there isn't a hormonal factor as well.

Jackson
03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Curly hair seems to be trait that skips generations in my family.

Also, since me and a couple of my brothers have had our hair become curly/ier after hitting puberty, I can't help but wonder if there isn't hormonal factor as well.

Thats interesting, yeah my father has super straight hair but his sister has curly hair. I have straight to wavy hair although it wouldn't surprise me if ended up having a curly haired kid. :)

Oneeye
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Thats interesting, yeah my father has super straight hair but his sister has curly hair. I have straight to wavy hair although it wouldn't surprise me if ended up having a curly haired kid. :)

I have a grandmother with curly hair, as well as a great grandmother with curly hair.

Both of my parents only have wavy hair, but I'm curly... and my oldest kid has straight hair, while my youngest has wavy. There must be a good number of genes that regulate it. One of my brothers not only has curly hair, it is a frizzy and wiry curly. He could probably fro it out if he grew out his hair. LOL, a blond fro.

Jackson
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I have a grandmother with curly hair, as well as a great grandmother with curly hair.

Both of my parents only have wavy hair, but I'm curly... and my oldest kid has straight hair, while my youngest has wavy. There must be a good number of genes that regulate it. One of my brothers not only has curly hair, it is a frizzy and wiry curly. He could probably fro it out if he grew out his hair. LOL, a blond fro.

Haha cool, yeah I've known 3 people with blond 'afros' (although not proper African type afros, more the European answer to the afro).
Encourage it... :D

Yeah i think you right, it is subject to a lot of factors. Well i suppose it's all a range really, East Asians have truly straight hair, and many Sub-Saharan Africans have truly curly hair (as in ultra-frizzy). I guess Europeans are in-between because our hair probably averages as somewhat wavy compared to East Asians.

Vasconcelos
03-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Isn't it just an old CM trait?

Tropico
03-17-2013, 02:03 AM
I personally like Curly hair. So much that I try to not mess with my hair too much so my curliness stays in place and doesnt turn to a really weak curl/wave. Even tell my sisters to not straighten their hair. Thankfully one has stopped and lets her curliness shine. One of the good things we inherited from the Old World. lol I really like wavy/curly hair in woman. To me it signifies vitality. IDK why but it does.

Peikko
03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I personally like Curly hair. So much that I try to not mess with my hair too much so my curliness stays in place and doesnt turn to a really weak curl/wave. Even tell my sisters to not straighten their hair. Thankfully one has stopped and lets her curliness shine. One of the good things we inherited from the Old World. lol I really like wavy/curly hair in woman. To me it signifies vitality. IDK why but it does.

Yeah, wavy hair looks often very beautiful on a woman. I've noticed that most hair product commercials have women with wavy hair.

Dacul
03-17-2013, 10:30 AM
I think that at Northern Europeans and Western Europeans wavy and curly hair is more present that at Eastern Europeans.
Tell me how many russians with curly hair you have saw ,I mean real russians,not russians mixed with caucasian people.
There are some russians with wavy hair but not so many.
I think is same in Estonia and to a lesser degree in Finland since in Finland it seems they are also a little mixed with NW european admixture.
Look in Pallantides pictures of norwegians,wavy hair seems pretty often in Norway and curly hair is not uncommon either.
For example,at University we had only 1 male with curly hair,from 50 people and that one was not real romanian,being from South-Eastern Romania,from near sea side,much swarthier at skin than the rest of us.

xXMartinv1xX
03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes, Btw how about my case, I have kinda curly hair. most of my family, mostly from the paternal side of family have wavy hair, not curly I am the few who is curly. So guess I must carry the "wog" genes :laugh:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz138/yoyochickenkfc/84f5d9b8e581e05e32fdb.jpg

the "woggy" gene I inherited from the Western Europeans. :tongue
I think that at Northern Europeans and Western Europeans wavy and curly hair is more present that at Eastern Europeans.
Tell me how many russians with curly hair you have saw ,I mean real russians,not russians mixed with caucasian people.
There are some russians with wavy hair but not so many.
I think is same in Estonia and to a lesser degree in Finland since in Finland it seems they are also a little mixed with NW european admixture.
Look in Pallantides pictures of norwegians,wavy hair seems pretty often in Norway and curly hair is not uncommon either.
For example,at University we had only 1 male with curly hair,from 50 people and that one was not real romanian,being from South-Eastern Romania,from near sea side,much swarthier at skin than the rest of us.

Dacul
03-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Tacitus agrees on the generally Nordic nature of the Celts, but comments on the notable exception of the tribe occupying South Wales: "The dark faces of the Silures, their usually curly hair, and the position of Spain opposite, are evidence that the ancient Iberians crossed the sea and settled there."
Ancient iberians were celtic people,also,but were a lot of types of celtic people,some blonde,some red haired,some dark haired etc.

So it seems Norway got more curly hair from being strongly mixed with celts,since plenty of maternal DNA from Norway is from celtic women.

Look at the members of the band from Switzerland,Eluiveitie,who are saying they are mostly gaulish,2 from them have curly hair in pictures,no idea if it natural,or they are using something to make curls in their hair
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17200000/Eluveitie-folk-metal-17209071-1375-850.jpg

askra
03-20-2013, 11:56 PM
In Italy according to the survey realised by the anthropologist Ridolfo Livi in 19th century curly hair are most common in Sicily, while the lowest amount of curly hair are found among Sardinians.

Isn't it just an old CM trait?
I don't think so.