PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Father Christmas/Santa (Very TIC!!)

Gundwane
11-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Dear Father Christmas.

I’m writing to you now, although knowing you don’t exist, perhaps you can do more about my problems than many other people here.

My list is quite long, but I’m going to be (rather) good this year.

First on my list is some power. Not the kind that the body uses, but the kind with which the TV works. If you can throw in a laptop of fridge, that would be nice, as mine are now on their last legs with the puzzling electric supply.

The second on the list is a clever, just and involved president. That might be asking too much, but see how far you get. A few competent ministers would be a bonus. I hear you don’t use a tarred road, but if your helpers have a bit of spare time, could they come and fill in a few of the potholes? I don’t know whether that would count as a gift, but it would put a smile on the faces of thousands!

I don’t know what you intend doing about the presents of the 19 000 that were murdered. Perhaps you could give these to the thousands whose houses have been broken into? And don’t worry about all the burglar bars and alarms; the police are already so overtired and underpaid that they will not disturb you. (10111 is also not working any longer).

You can just give the rest of my family fuel, because “my uncle hasn’t even got a tank full of diesel any longer.”

If you cannot see your way out with my list, then you can just send cash. Just make sure of the address, because things (place names) have changed again since your last visit.

Thanks, and regards to your helpers.

ME.

NB. Hopefully by now you have mastered the new labour act!

Oresai
11-30-2008, 04:33 AM
Can he please also bring me....
a new fur coat, preferably mink...
a car that works..preferably a Land Rover...
cash! Always a good thing in a recession....:D
Some decent movies to watch over the festive season to avoid the endless repeats we will get once more...
A new Hunic bow with leather wrapped limbs and foxtail decoration. :D :D

(fluffy alert here now...a hug from the man I love please...:1_2:)

What? whaddya mean , it isn`t a real wishlist...?
Aw....:pout:

Vulpix
11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
:leaving::runs: :D

Gundwane
11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
pardon my seeming ignorance, but pray, please tell me what is: "A new Hunic bow with leather wrapped limbs and foxtail decoration?"

Oresai
11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
My favourite topic, archery :D
The enclosed pic here is a Hunic bow I already have, it`s a replica historical working bow made my Steve Ralphs who also creates functioning historical bows for movies and tv. :)
So I want another of these, maybe a 55lb draw weight, with leather wrapped limbs (my one already has that, but I`d like another colour :D) and with foxtails hanging from the hand grip. :)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/oresai/BOW1.jpg

Gundwane
12-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Ah - I thought it might have something to do with archery, but wasn't sure. However, speaking of bows, did you ever read this poem by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:

THE SONG OF THE BOW

What of the bow?
The bow was made in England:
Of true wood, of yew wood,
The wood of English bows;
So men who are free
Love the old yew-tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

What of the cord?
The cord was made in England;
A rough cord, a tough cord,
A cord that yeomen love;
And so we will sing
Of the hempen string,
And the land where the cord was wove.

What of the shaft?
The shaft was cut in England:
A long shaft, a strong shaft,
Barbed and trim and true;
So we'll dring altogether
To the grey goose-feather,
And the land where the grey goose flew.

What of the mark?
Ah, seek it not in England,
A bold mark, our old mark
Is waiting oversea.
When the strings harp in chorus,
And the lion flag is o'er us,
It is there that our mark will be.

What of the men?
The men were bred in England;
The bowmen - the yeomen,
The lads of dale and fell.
Here's to you - and to you!
To the hearts that are true
And the land where the true hearts dwell.

Oresai
12-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Ah but the bow predates the English culture by far, stone age men even creating surprisingly sophisticated versions ;)
That poem celebrates the longbow, deservingly lauded in the history of weaponry and until the crossbow entered the fray, champion among the English soldier throughout history.
I favour the Hunic because, to be honest, I find it pretty. :D
Ancient bows were works of art, often laminated with wood and horn and of such artistry and skill that there aren`t so many craftsmen nowadays who can recreate them as successfully.
For fun, I shoot recurve bows, occassionally a compound, but somehow to me, that`s cheating...
But my passion is instinctive shooting, not competition archery, so the Hunic is my `baby`, along with my crossbows, 150 to 200lb draw weight, beechwood stocks, sprung steel limbs...sigh....
I love weapons! :D

Absinthe
12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Oresai, have you tried horseback archery? :)

Arrow Cross
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM

I favour the Hunic because, to be honest, I find it pretty. :D
*Snickers*

Of course. Hunic is one of the synomyms for 'pretty'. :odinsleipnir2:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b282/yeniceri/hunsnotdead.jpg

Oresai
12-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Oresai, have you tried horseback archery?

No, but now the idea is lodged in my head...:D
I grew up riding, haven`t done so for a while though, this island is built for plodders of fat little ponies :)
My friends joke that the safest place to be around me when I`m shooting is in front of me. This is because once, shooting a hay bale, I overshot and took out a parked car`s headlights...:redface_002::puppy_dp:

I swaggered and told folks it was because the car was staring at me so I went for its eyes. Nobody bought that though...:pout:
In reality I`m a pretty good shot. :) Love the power of the crossbow, and the beauty and skill of the archery bow. Both take patience, something I don`t have naturally so am forced to learn, self discipline...
And there is something satisfying about the history of both behind each shot. And as Arrow Cross said, they are silent weapons :D
I have a small but growing collection of reenactment swords too, my favourite is a Celtic leaf blade, then the basket hilted claymore and a couple of rapiers for fun. :)
Also have a double headed throwing axe, and a reasonable collection of knives, some of which I also use in skinning and butchering. :)
Ooh..I also have a morningstar! :D That is also very pretty.

Arrow Cross
12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Well, should you ever visit here, we have the best horseback archers in the world. :p

There are countless traditionalists, reenactors and trainers around, especially in the eastern part of the country, even in my family. Here are some propaganda videos by one of the best, give it a shot if you find the topic intresting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSGs8o0rjJc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkkN7ZHkoM&feature=related

P.s.: Apologies for insulting the Apricity, but some of the target dummies do resemble pre-millenium Western Euros. ;)

Oresai
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Those are great, thanks! :) I particularly love the way the heads fall off and roll....:D
There is a man I caught sight of, briefly on tv, who lives the life of a nomadic horseman. He`s one of the few in Britain who can ride this way, and use the bow with any great skill. His love for the lifestyle, and archery, was just fabulous to see, and I loved the piece where he explained the crafting of the bow from start to finish..a work of art. :)

Sadly, about all I have access to ride here is a fat little Shetland pony more used to a gentle plod than a canter. Mind you, how impressive would that look, eh? A short middle aged woman on a short middle aged pony ambling toward the enemy, bow in hand, trying to look ferocious? :D :victory0:

I have great respect for such efficient horsemen, and for anyone who can master the bow. :)

Arrow Cross
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm sure it'd still be impressive. :)

Myself, I'm slightly proficent with both(but not combined), having had little practice, but I happen to be one of the lucky few who never fell from a horse, not even while learning to ride. Had some close moments though while galloping at full speed. :D

I'll have to make sure to resume practice this summer.

Alison
12-02-2008, 09:34 AM
No, but now the idea is lodged in my head...:D
I grew up riding, haven`t done so for a while though, this island is built for plodders of fat little ponies :)
My friends joke that the safest place to be around me when I`m shooting is in front of me. This is because once, shooting a hay bale, I overshot and took out a parked car`s headlights...:redface_002::puppy_dp:

I swaggered and told folks it was because the car was staring at me so I went for its eyes. Nobody bought that though...:pout:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: