PDA

View Full Version : Apricity's Schizophrenia Group

Kazimiera
08-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I have made another group about schizophrenia.

If anyone wants to learn more and share experiences, please join!

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/group.php?groupid=377

Stefan
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Before I was diagnosed with OCD/Social Anxiety and then Asperger's Syndrome, my mother and I were worried I was developing paranoid schizophrenia like my aunt had developed, as I showed some similar symptoms. However, I didn't have any delusions, so that was out of the diagnosis criteria. My aunt has it moderately to severely, which was first induced by horrible drugs she took. My whole family on my mother's side has been predisposed to depression, delusions, and suicide or attempted suicide though, so I think it is something more hereditary. My aunt often calls my mother cursing her and yelling at her for no reason, or she'll call us telling us we're in danger from ridiculous things like killer bees, or shadow people. Right now she's doing well. She has a boyfriend who also has mild schizophrenia, but he has been able to help her stay on her medication and stay away from alcohol and drugs. She seems very happy, after years of problems.

08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm a self diagnosed schizophrenic. Nuff said

Bobcat Fraser
08-16-2012, 04:38 AM
she'll call us telling us we're in danger from ridiculous things like killer bees, or shadow people.

Do you mind if I ask what she said about shadow people? They're probably delusions or hallucinations in her sad case. Lucid people have seen them, though. I even saw one when I was a kid.

Stefan
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Do you mind if I ask what she said about shadow people? They're probably delusions or hallucinations in her sad case. Lucid people have seen them, though. I even saw one when I was a kid.

I can't remember clearly, as I was quite young, but she would tell us that the shadow people told her that they were going to turn into dangerous animals and eat, kill, or maim us.

Kazimiera
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Shadow people are often the result of hypnagogic and/or hypnopompic hallucinations when one is waking up, or more commonly, going to sleep. Sleep paralysis often happens during this state and many people can describe some disturbing events, being aware of things but being unable to move. It is most often in these states the shadow people are seen and sensed.

"Shadow people" can also appear at the corner of peripheral vision. Once you turn your head to focus on the object it disappears. This is called a "visual disturbance" and is normal. Most people have disturbances in their peripheral vision at some point in their lives. It seems, though, that some experience it more than others. They are also very common in poor light.

Shadow people can also be described as (in the medical field) and "illusion". There is a distinct difference between a hallucination and an illusion. A hallucination is the perception (via any sense like hearing, sight, smell etc) of something which is NOT there. An illusion on the other hand is something which IS there being mistaken for something else. A prime example of this would be mistaking a hosepipe for a snake or perhaps a crumpled up leaf for a spider. Once you look at the object you recognise it for what it is ie: a hosepipe or a snake. Children especially are prone to illusions, mistaking something for something else which is why children often "see" things which older people don't. Older people have a larger "database" in their brain with which they can recognise things easier, whereas children have a smaller database and rely completely on what they have learn thus far.

Stefan
08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Shadow people can also be described as (in the medical field) and "illusion". There is a distinct difference between a hallucination and an illusion. A hallucination is the perception (via any sense like hearing, sight, smell etc) of something which is NOT there. An illusion on the other hand is something which IS there being mistaken for something else. A prime example of this would be mistaking a hosepipe for a snake or perhaps a crumpled up leaf for a spider. Once you look at the object you recognise it for what it is ie: a hosepipe or a snake. Children especially are prone to illusions, mistaking something for something else which is why children often "see" things which older people don't. Older people have a larger "database" in their brain with which they can recognise things easier, whereas children have a smaller database and rely completely on what they have learn thus far.

Yes I've heard of shadow people in relation to sleep paralysis and illusions before. My aunt is quite different though. She actually heard voices and believe she had conversations with them. Which makes me suspect she latched on to the common illusion and became deluded thinking of it differently, as is emphasized by her paranoia and schizophrenia.

Germanicus
08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Check out if your have Schizophrenia tendancy's, i scored 4. currently i do not suffer from Schizophrenia.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1076101

Kazimiera
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes I've heard of shadow people in relation to sleep paralysis and illusions before. My aunt is quite different though. She actually heard voices and believe she had conversations with them. Which makes me suspect she latched on to the common illusion and became deluded thinking of it differently, as is emphasized by her paranoia and schizophrenia.

Yes. This is a classic example of schizophrenia.

I just tried to include some other reasons why people may experience the phenomenon in case people start thinking they are schizophrenic.

08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Check out if your have Schizophrenia tendancy's i scored 4 currently i do not suffer from Schizophrenia.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1076101

Wrong link

Kazimiera
08-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I quite like that we now have a psychology sub-forum too. I will be able to contribute quite a bit in this section.

Bobcat Fraser
08-18-2012, 02:29 AM
Yes. This is a classic example of schizophrenia.

I just tried to include some other reasons why people may experience the phenomenon in case people start thinking they are schizophrenic.

Those explanations don't apply to me. I heard and saw some kind of entity. It had nothing to do with sleep paralysis. I was wide awake when I observed the shadow person. In fact, my senses were heightened. It was *not* an optical illusion or my five-year-old imagination. My sisters still recall my experience. I ran into their room after I saw the being. It looked like the entity had three dimensions. Hundreds of sane and sober people have witnessed these beings. Your explanations likely explain many of the sightings. I don't think that they explain all of them, though.:)