PDA

View Full Version : Delusions and Hallucinations

Kazimiera
08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
DELUSIONS

An unshakable theory or belief in something false and impossible, despite evidence to the contrary.

Examples of some of the most common types of delusions are:

Delusions of persecution or paranoia – Belief that others — often a vague “they” — are out to get him or her. These persecutory delusions often involve bizarre ideas and plots (e.g. “Russians are trying to poison me with radioactive particles delivered through my tap water”). Click here to learn more about paranoid delusions, or here to learn more about persecutory delusions.

Delusions of reference – A neutral event is believed to have a special and personal meaning. For example, a person with schizophrenia might believe a billboard or a celebrity is sending a message meant specifically for them. Click here to learn more about delusions of reference.

Delusions of grandeur – Belief that one is a famous or important figure, such as Jesus Christ or Napolean. Alternately, delusions of grandeur may involve the belief that one has unusual powers that no one else has (e.g. the ability to fly). Click here to learn more about delusions of grandeur.

Delusions of control – Belief that one’s thoughts or actions are being controlled by outside, alien forces. Common delusions of control include thought broadcasting (“My private thoughts are being transmitted to others”), thought insertion (“Someone is planting thoughts in my head”), and thought withdrawal (“The CIA is robbing me of my thoughts”).

Example: The patient believes he is able to communicate telepathically with the U.S. President and no one can convince him otherwise, although he admits he’s never actually tried it.

HALLUCINATIONS

A hallucination is a sensation or sensory perception that a person experiences in the absence of a relevant external stimulus. That is, a person experiences something that doesn’t really exist (except in their mind). A hallucination can occur in any sensory modality — visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, etc.

Auditory hallucinations (e.g. hearing voices or some other sound) are most common type of hallucination in schizophrenia. Visual hallucinations are also relatively common. Research suggests that auditory hallucinations occur when people misinterpret their own inner self-talk as coming from an outside source.

Hallucinations can often be meaningful to the person experiencing them. Many times, the voices are those of someone they know. Most commonly, the voices are critical, vulgar, or abusive. Hallucinations also tend to be worse when the person is alone.

Example: The patient complains of an overwhelming chemical smell in and around his room; no one else smells it, although he insists it’s still there and says he feels faint.

http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/2008/delusion/
http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/2008/hallucination/