PDA

View Full Version : What is a soul?

el22
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Being a nonreligious person, I don’t have a clear idea about the definition of the soul. Religious people however seems to have a more clear definition of it. After all it is the soul that goes in heaven or hell. And religious people know something about those places.

In other words, religious people know that souls interact with each-other (at least in paradise), which means that they are able to recognize each-other, which means that religious people are aware of some distinguishable attributes of the soul. I’m curious to know what they might be.

I hope to get some input from those who know something about the subject.

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
As a spiritual, non-religious person I would say that we are the ''soul'', the
immortal essence that is inhabiting these bodies, which are temporary
assets in order to interact in this earthly dimension.

As of heaven & hell, I personally believe that is bull & I center more around
the idea that the more spiritually evolved one is, the higher dimensions he
may reach, while doing constant evil might trap you in a passive, non-moving
position, where you either suffer or have to learn from your mistakes.

I also believe that if you have unfinished business, you may either return
back on Earth as energy or reincarnate in order to unconsciously learn
from your previous experience, but hey that's just my 2 dollars. :D

I believe that there is some truth to religion, but it has been too corrupted
by humans & their inner desire to rule over others.:thumb001:

SilverKnight
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
The soul is your eternal essence, it's the energy within your body which you have selected to host in order to evolve spiritually. Those fill with hate towards others can't evolve spiritually. You can't fool the soul as it knows everything about you, your toughs and actions.

el22
08-15-2012, 09:26 PM
For example I've heard that the hell is undesirable because you suffer from eternal fire.
However, even religious people accept the fact that only the soul lives after the death, not the body.

So if you don't have a body, which means you don't have senses to perceive hot/cold, why should you care about the fire?

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Life energy in my body connecting me to universe and nature .

el22
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
The soul is your eternal essence, it's the energy within your body which you have selected to host in order to evolve spiritually. Those fill with hate towards others can't evolve spiritually. You can't fool the soul as it knows everything about you, your toughs and actions.

No, my question is this:
If you are supposed to meet your loved ones in heaven, how are you supposed to recognize them? You don't have bodies anymore, so you have to recognize them by distinguishing their souls. How?

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
No, my question is this:
If you are supposed to meet your loved ones in haven, how are you supposed to recognize them? You don't have bodies anymore, so you have to recognize them by distinguishing their souls. How?

I believe that you are drawn to them by their energy, which
would stick around, unless some have moved on to higher
spiritual grounds or have reincarnated again, that would be
the sad part of it.:(

Partizan
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm a believer however I think soul isn't something seperate from brain.

What we call as soul has three sources IMO:
1.Subconsicious,what's something like instinct for humans(Freud's explore).
2.Our hormones.
3.Our thoughts.

el22
08-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I believe that you are drawn to them by their energy, which
would stick around, unless some have moved on to higher
spiritual grounds or have reincarnated again, that would be
the sad part of it.:(

Well, than, how are you supposed to meet other people, maybe famous very good people from antiquity?

SilverKnight
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Life energy in my body connecting me to universe and nature .

We're all part of a larger dough, we split into tiny pieces of it. One day we will go back again to that larger dough :)

No, my question is this:
If you are supposed to meet your loved ones in heaven, how are you supposed to recognize them? You don't have bodies anymore, so you have to recognize them by distinguishing their souls. How?

Good question. The body is in the lowest and most solid realm (the physical realm). Our bodies are to some degree a "mirror" of our souls. When we die we might keep the same shape/form, spiritually that is. There are many people whom have almost died, who had seen their loved ones almost the same as when they left them, most of the times younger and surrounded by light (is not really the light we see, but spiritual energy from the source).

Hope it helped..

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
We're all part of a larger dough, we split into tiny pieces of it. One day we will go back again to that larger dough :)

I freaking love this larger dough..:)

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, than, how are you supposed to meet other people, maybe famous very good people from antiquity?

I believe that you would draw their energy to yours, or they
could appear to you in your dreams in their human forms,
because I guess that on the other side, having human form
would be too primitive. Anyways, I have been reading some
great stuff on this psychic, Erin Pavlina's blog if you're into the
entire soul, astral projection, meditationg thing, then you should
definitely check her out: http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/

el22
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Let me try it from a different angle. Let's say that a relative of yours have undergone a plastic surgery and his/her physical appearance is so different that you can't recognize him/her anymore. And because of that, the voice has changed too.

The only thing that hasn't changed is the soul.
You meet your relative and are unable to recognize him/her. So he/she will try to prove to be who he/she is. I think all those proves will mount to the definition of the soul (the only thing that hasn't changed).

And there are other people here that seems to have a more clear definition of the soul.

Not selling my faith for money makes me stupid? I don't think so. It's like selling your own soul. I don't need any filthy money once I've lost my soul

SilverKnight
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I freaking love this larger dough..:)

Me to, may I ask why ^^

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Me to, may I ask why ^^

Being a human with an ego is a limiting experience ,I feel a further connection between me and trees ,sea ,sky ,animals and being a part of that whole means a lot to me .

el22
08-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm a believer however I think soul isn't something seperate from brain.

What we call as soul has three sources IMO:
1.Subconsicious,what's something like instinct for humans(Freud's explore).
2.Our hormones.
3.Our thoughts.

Brains die at death. If soul is unseparate from brain, it means that soul dies too.

How are you supposed to be a believer? You're the definition of atheist.

Partizan
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Brains die at death. If soul is unseparate from brain, it means that soul dies too.

How are you supposed to be a believer? You're the definition of atheist.

Well,I don't believe "soul" in Islam is the same with "soul" in other religions.It is only mentioned about it's metaphysic content in Judgement Day,in Qu'ran.Islam is less spiritual than other Abrahamic religions.

So,like "Djinns",I take "ruh"(soul) as a metaphysic and partly symbolic thing.

el22
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, we'll never be able to define soul from people with weird religions:
IMadhi: Deist
Siberian Cold Breeze: Animist Deist
Sigur: Pandeism
Partizan: Atheist-Muslim(Quranist)

StonyArabia
08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
The soul is the self and the non-physical aspect of it. The soul only enters the body but in reality the soul has no gender, and it's created from light and hence it differs from the body.

el22
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
OK, one more weird religion
Wildeagle: Sufism

I was hoping for some definition from Christians / Muslims (Partizani doesn't count). The mainstream religions.

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Don't turn this interesting topic to another whose religion is better discussion
we aleady have many of them:)

StonyArabia
08-15-2012, 10:58 PM
OK, one more weird religion
Wildeagle: Sufism

I was hoping for some definition from Christians / Muslims (Partizani doesn't count). The mainstream religions.

Sufism is a branch of Islam it's the mystical application of Sunni Islam. Sufism sees the soul like I have stated.

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 10:59 PM

Deism is not a religion, but an independant religious philosophy.:D

el22
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Don't turn this interesting topic to another whose religion is better discussion
No, but you are too abstract or ...

Sufism is a branch of Islam it's the mystical application of Sunni Islam. Sufism sees the soul like I have stated.
... mystic to be useful.

Those of mainstream religions have a more practical definition

Not selling my faith for money makes me stupid? I don't think so. It's like selling your own soul. I don't need any filthy money once I've lost my soul

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Deism is not a religion, but an independant religious philosophy.:D
I couldn't find a better description of our old traditional animism which considers nature (sky -earth) a divine being :)

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I couldn't find a better description of our old traditional animism which considers nature (sky -earth) a divine being :)

This is the modern definition created & provided by the World Union Of Deists (WUD):
''Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation.''

I think it's pretty accurate for me, if you throw in some spirituality.:thumb001:

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
This is the modern definition created & provided by the World Union Of Deists (WUD):
''Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation.''

I think it's pretty accurate for me, if you throw in some spirituality.:thumb001:

I guess so ..but I guess mine is more older than that ,not a modern form of deism

In Tengerism, the world is alive. The plants, animals, rocks, and water all have spirits. These spirits must be respected and cared for or the land would become hostile or barren. Therefore, protection and balance of one’s environment is of utmost importance.

Personal responsibility is the second main tenet of Tengerism. Being responsible for one’s own actions is the mark of an upright human being.

The third tenet of Tengerism is balance. Balance is important to keep harmony within oneself, the community, and the environment. When things get out of balance, there are harmful effects.

That's enough for me..just me , my God and universe ..Less is more :)

Arbėrori
08-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I guess so ..but I guess mine is more older than that ,not a modern form of deism

That's enough for me..just me , my God and universe ..Less is more :)

Wow, interesting... I guess I'm more on the modern & spiritual side,
I'm also into Paleo-Balkan (proto-Albanian) mythology & paganism,
but very little is known unfortunately.:(:D

Svipdag
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
After long (64 years) study and reflection, I have come to the conclusion that there can be no OBJECTIVE evidence for the soul. Therefore, it is necessary to fall back on the subjective. How does it seem to ME ?

Unfortunately, introspection is the stamping ground of self-deception. Nevertheless, I think that it can give some insight (all we're likely to get) into the existence and nature of the soul.

It has been alleged that all of the phenomena which we may attribute to the soul are but epiphenomena of the functioning of the brain. If this were so, it would seem that our actions would be directed primarily toward the welfare and physiological needs of the brain.

What, then, does the brain need ? mainly oxygen and ADTP [adenosine triphosphate]. However, whatever "I" am, I have other needs which have nothing whatever to do with providing O2 and ADTP to the brain.

For example, I am reading a book and encounter an unfamiliar word. I rise from my chair, walk across the room, take down a dictionary from the bookshelf, and look up the word. Did my brain need that ? Did it benefit in any way from my doing that ? Obviously, NO. Then, whatever "I" may be, it is NOT the brain. Nor was it any other part of my body which needed to know the meaning of that word. "I" needed to know it and "I" am not the body.

Introspectively, it seems to me that I am an entity which uses this body for the execution of my will. This view has been derided as "the ghost in the machine." Nevertheless, experience has given me a strong conviction that I AM the ghost in the machine. I AM something different from it which uses this body. Call it atman, jiva, soul, whatever you will, it is something different from the body which uses it.

"INTELLEGO VT CREDAM"

SilverKnight
08-15-2012, 11:53 PM

Exactly.

Partizan
08-15-2012, 11:53 PM
I used to be interested on Shamanism and Tangrianism,however spiritual stuff never satisfy me,I like more concrete things.

Veneda
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
My soul is Slavic, so must be older than the hell

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-16-2012, 12:07 AM
I used to be interested on Shamanism and Tangrianism,however spiritual stuff never satisfy me,I like more concrete things.

The word concrete reminds me things like china wall :p
I am way too indivualistic for strict rules

Partizan
08-16-2012, 12:08 AM
The word concrete reminds me things like china wall :p
I am way too indivualistic for strict rules

Heh it's interesting,we get along well but philosophically we're really opposite :)

Siberian Cold Breeze
08-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Wow, interesting... I guess I'm more on the modern & spiritual side,
I'm also into Paleo-Balkan (proto-Albanian) mythology & paganism,
but very little is known unfortunately.:(:D

I would really like to know..

el22
08-16-2012, 12:29 AM
After long (64 years) study and reflection, I have come to the conclusion that there can be no OBJECTIVE evidence for the soul. Therefore, it is necessary to fall back on the subjective. How does it seem to ME ?

Unfortunately, introspection is the stamping ground of self-deception. Nevertheless, I think that it can give some insight (all we're likely to get) into the existence and nature of the soul.

It has been alleged that all of the phenomena which we may attribute to the soul are but epiphenomena of the functioning of the brain. If this were so, it would seem that our actions would be directed primarily toward the welfare and physiological needs of the brain.

What, then, does the brain need ? mainly oxygen and ADTP [adenosine triphosphate]. However, whatever "I" am, I have other needs which have nothing whatever to do with providing O2 and ADTP to the brain.

For example, I am reading a book and encounter an unfamiliar word. I rise from my chair, walk across the room, take down a dictionary from the bookshelf, and look up the word. Did my brain need that ? Did it benefit in any way from my doing that ? Obviously, NO. Then, whatever "I" may be, it is NOT the brain. Nor was it any other part of my body which needed to know the meaning of that word. "I" needed to know it and "I" am not the body.

Introspectively, it seems to me that I am an entity which uses this body for the execution of my will. This view has been derided as "the ghost in the machine." Nevertheless, experience has given me a strong conviction that I AM the ghost in the machine. I AM something different from it which uses this body. Call it atman, jiva, soul, whatever you will, it is something different from the body which uses it.

"INTELLEGO VT CREDAM"

As an analogy we can say that the body (including the brain) is like a computer, and the soul is the software running in that computer.

Since a software can't run without a computer, a soul can't exists (in an active state) without a body.

The soul should be nothing more than information recorded in our brains. Be it data (like images of people we know) or programs (like the ability to drive a bicycle).
At least this is the scientific approach.

I was curious about the religious approach, who are aware of a situation where the soul lives without a body, like in heaven or hell.

SilverKnight
08-16-2012, 02:08 AM
My soul is Slavic, so must be older than the hell

Souls have no ethnic backgrounds. No one is really from no where (but go ahead if you think that I respect it :))

You can be re born in any human body, from anywhere. It's all about having a host body to learn from and grow spiritually that matters.

You can tell when a person has a 'young' or experienced soul, they can from very immature to irresponsible etc. While the ones with ancient or older souls are more open minded, kind and mature people.

arcticwolf
08-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Souls have no ethnic backgrounds. No one is really from no where (but go ahead if you think that I respect it :))

You can be re born in any human body, from anywhere. It's all about having a host body to learn from and grow spiritually that matters.

You can tell when a person has a 'young' or experienced soul, they can from very immature to irresponsible etc. While the ones with ancient or older souls are more open minded, kind and mature people.

Not being a Slav, you have no idea what she just said. ;) Slavic Soul is something every Slav is born with, and it's impossible to explain it to a non Slavs but every Slav knows what it is. :D

Don't worry about it, you are not a Slav, what do you care? :p

SilverKnight
08-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Not being a Slav, you have no idea what she just said. ;) Slavic Soul is something every Slav is born with, and it's impossible to explain it to a non Slavs but every Slav knows what it is. :D

Don't worry about it, you are not a Slav, what do you care? :p

I know wolf, was just being a little bit dramatic there :p but who am I to say
I have a human soul, that's all I believe.

arcticwolf
08-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Well, my Slavic Soul aside ;) Nothing is permanent in this reality, which means there is no such thing as a soul. Both material and non material realities are impermanent, nothing is self in the ultimate reality either, so. We are just bunch of impersonal processes existing because of the law of cause and effect. That's it. Sorry. :p

SilverKnight
08-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Well, my Slavic Soul aside ;) Nothing is permanent in this reality, which means there is no such thing as a soul. Both material and non material realities are impermanent, nothing is self in the ultimate reality either, so. We are just bunch of impersonal processes existing because of the law of cause and effect. That's it. Sorry. :p

Well I used to believe that until I left my body one night, also my home is hunted... so I can't deny the fact that there's a spiritual realm. Sorry :p

Science is important, but it doesn't mean you can't believe in the spritual in order to embrace or practice it. Both are intertwined..

Partizan
08-16-2012, 02:32 AM
If you ask me,since I see so-called soul as a some kind of ideational/hormonal/instinctive thing,Slavic soul could be also right.First of all,if you grow up in a community since your childhood,you have it's influence into your subconsicous and thoughts.It can made up your personality(which people call soul)...

Comte Arnau
08-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Given that I'm too skeptical about a conscious afterlife in whatsoever form, I prefer to consider soul in earthly terms. I perceive it as that feeling of awareness that you are alive and really mortal which happens at specific moments, or that you can force yourself to feel. In other words, the consciousness of your essence regardless of your physical body. Rather than religious or mystical, it is but an intellectual recognition of yourself as an individual temporary being as well as a part of a perceived cosmos.

arcticwolf
08-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Well I used to believe that until I left my body one night, also my home is hunted... so I can't deny the fact that there's a spiritual realm. Sorry :p

Science is important, but it doesn't mean you can't believe in the spritual in order to embrace or practice it. Both are intertwined..

What I said has nothing to do with science. It's reality. Read what I said carefully as many times as you need to understand the gist of it.

I did not say there was not a continuation, I said there is nothing permanent. What has cause must have effect, no exceptions. What continues is not exactly the same but it's not entirely different, just like you are not exactly the same any two given seconds nor are you entirely different.

Trust me nothing is permanent and nothing is self, both of these are illusions. ;)

spaz
08-16-2012, 02:59 AM
I don't know what a soul is, but I've never felt like I have one. So is it just a feeling that people who believe in souls experience?

SilverKnight
08-16-2012, 03:16 AM
What I said has nothing to do with science. It's reality. Read what I said carefully as many times as you need to understand the gist of it.

I did not say there was not a continuation, I said there is nothing permanent. What has cause must have effect, no exceptions. What continues is not exactly the same but it's not entirely different, just like you are not exactly the same any two given seconds nor are you entirely different.

Trust me nothing is permanent and nothing is self, both of these are illusions. ;)

True. Interesting thing, about 98% of what we see as 'ourselves' now is different every year as our molecules go and come xD

I don't know what a soul is, but I've never felt like I have one. So is it just a feeling that people who believe in souls experience?

:eek:

How can such an adorable human like you not have a soul :)

Siberian Cold Breeze
10-18-2012, 04:26 AM
bumpity bump..it was a nice thread :)

Sol Invictus
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
The soul is the self and the non-physical aspect of it. The soul only enters the body but in reality the soul has no gender, and it's created from light and hence it differs from the body.

Well, the Soul is actually masculine, precedes and is superior to the Spirit, which is represented in as the feminine principle.

Well,I don't believe "soul" in Islam is the same with "soul" in other religions.It is only mentioned about it's metaphysic content in Judgement Day,in Qu'ran.Islam is less spiritual than other Abrahamic religions.

So,like "Djinns",I take "ruh"(soul) as a metaphysic and partly symbolic thing.

The Platonic understanding of metaphysics incorporated into Christianity is identical to the metaphysics of all the great religious systems. They all say the same thing. This is no accident.

Taynobog
10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I think the soul is something completely different from mind, consciousness. Its only function is intent. In my religion soul considered to be a part of the God, and as such it is totally uncomrehencible to human mind. Besides this, soul is the deepest inner self of every living being WITHOUT all the things clung during life.

evon
10-22-2012, 10:59 PM
nevermind..

Rithrigh
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice to see some people on this site having an advanced view of what a soul is. Others are still stumbling around - which is good. Some are sitting on the fence...

The most important thing is to uphold the law of free will and let everyone find out for themselves in their own time. Even if it may not be in this life.