PDA

View Full Version : Ethnopolitical map of Europe

Comte Arnau
08-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I was bored, so I decided to see what a real ethnopolitical Europe would look/should have looked like.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/21diu02.jpg

Damiăo de Góis
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
The flag is an improvement but the name is a bit strange: Portugalicia :p

Comte Arnau
08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
The flag is an improvement but the name is a bit strange: Portugalicia :p

Not mine. Check. :D

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugaliza

SilverKnight
08-15-2012, 11:49 PM
What about Portugallega :D ?

finţaų
08-15-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm never letting those sneaky Scanians escape!

Damiăo de Góis
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Not mine. Check. :D

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugaliza

Well, anyway i think if you ran a survey they would be happier to be a part of Spain and to speak castillian.

Arbërori
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Well most Aromanians (latinized natives, most probably proto-
Albanians) & Albanians in Greece have been Hellenized, but I
don't know about the current demographics in Epirus, since
the large majority of Albanians have been massacred & deported.

I think that every nation should choose for themselves & I
believe the predominant majority in Kosovo would like to join Albania.:thumb001:

Comte Arnau
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Well, anyway i think if you ran a survey they would be happier to be a part of Spain and to speak castillian.

I'm certain about the first part, but referring to the language, a majority of Galicians still use their language first. Figures have been quickly declining regarding their social use, though.

Styggnacke
08-16-2012, 12:19 AM
The Lapps shouldn't have so much territory + fuck no to belonging to Denmark! :p

Also, Königsberg belonging to Russia is totally wrong in my opinion.

Damiăo de Góis
08-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm certain about the first part, but referring to the language, a majority of Galicians still use their language first. Figures have been quickly declining regarding their social use, though.

That twitter map was very elucidative, where the twitting language in Galicia is castillian.

finţaų
08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
The Lapps shouldn't have so much territory + fuck no to belonging to Denmark! :p

Also, Königsberg belonging to Russia is totally wrong in my opinion.

You will forever belong to the uppsvenskar!

Comte Arnau
08-16-2012, 12:26 AM
That twitter map was very elucidative, where the twitting language in Galicia is castillian.

I'd say the combination of three factors affected that impression:

1. Galician is closer to Spanish than Portuguese or Catalan, so maybe the language-recognizing device didn't distinguish all the time.

2. The colour used for showing Galician on that map was very similar to the one of Spanish, so it was hard to notice it.

3. Twitter is mainly used by the younger sectors of the populations, the ones who probably use Galician the least. You could also see on that map how the use of Catalan is very different in Catalonia (vigorous), Mallorca (rather declining) and Valencia (clearly declining).

Damiăo de Góis
08-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I'd say the combination of three factors affected that impression:

1. Galician is closer to Spanish than Portuguese or Catalan, so maybe the language-recognizing device didn't distinguish all the time.

2. The colour used for showing Galician on that map was very similar to the one of Spanish, so it was hard to notice it.

3. Twitter is mainly used by the younger sectors of the populations, the ones who probably use Galician the least. You could also see on that map how the use of Catalan is very different in Catalonia (vigorous), Mallorca (rather declining) and Valencia (clearly declining).

Yes, about the colors you could be right because i have some difficulty to tell similar colors apart on maps or graphs. In any case i would say there is no reintegration sentiment in Galicia and people are quite happy in being Spanish and they consider it normal. I have the impression that independentism isn't strong either. I also would count on speaking castillian if i ever visited Galicia. The only thing that contradicts this is that TV Galicia channel which i have and in which people speak galician (sometimes with a heavy castillian accent).

Comte Arnau
08-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I also would count on speaking castillian if i ever visited Galicia.

I've been twice in Galicia, and always addressed people in Galician, even if my Galician is far from perfect. The fact young people may not use it as much doesn't mean they don't know it.

Almogavar
08-16-2012, 01:04 AM
That Catalonian map hurts my eyes. Why Valencia and the Balearic Islands but not Aragon? please don't tell me that it is because some catalan-related dialects are spoken by some people in those areas ...

I don't believe Valencias are more akin to Catalans than they are To Aragon people or Murcia folks (depending on the province)

And Balearic Islanders that identify as Catalans are far less than those that identify as Balearic Islanders exclusively.

I agree with you that people from "Levante Iberico" have a lot in common , and they would make sense in a state of their own. But throwing them all in the same ethnic sack is a bit like throwing Cantabric folks and Canary Islanders into the same ethnic map (which you do)

Seeing Aragon squeezed into the same proposed ethnopolitical map than Asturias can only be based on language and imo language is just one component of ethnicity. Mexicans will never be Castilians , no matter how good their Spanish.

Even if we use linguistics as the only ethno-creator, Southern Navarra and Alava then can't possibly be in the same sack than Guipuzcoa