PDA

View Full Version : The Decline Of Responsible Motherhood

Oresai
11-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Source, Daily Record online.

Fury as mum admits: I let my 14-year-old daughter have underage sex with 22-year-old boyfriend at home
Nov 28 2008 By Robert Fairburn

A MOTHER allowed her 14-year-old daughter to have sex with her boyfriend, aged 22, in the family home.

And last night as the man, Daniel Balfour, awaited sentence for underage sex, the mum defended her actions.

She claimed she was only "trying to protect" her daughter by allowing the sexual relationship.

When Balfour appeared in court, it emerged the woman, who cannot be named to prevent her daughter being identified, allowed him to stay at her house three or four times a week.

The revelations prompted an outcry from locals and politicians.

But the mother, from Eyemouth, Berwickshire, hit back: "Do you know what your 14-year-old daughter is doing? Well I do. You can't lock a 14-year-old in their room until they are 16.

"In an ideal world, we all try to protect our children and this is what I was trying to do.

"This is a young girl who met him and thinks she is in love.

"Tell me what I should do. I felt I was between a rock and a hard place."

The woman added she and the girl's father had tried to end the relationship when they discovered how old Balfour was.

But when their attempts failed and the pair carried on meeting secretly, she welcomed Balfour, from Berwick, into her home.

She said: "I would rather know where my daughter is and who she is with than have her running around the streets getting into trouble.

"As much as I didn't like the situation, I felt that by keeping them close, I could monitor the situation rather than them running away behind my back.

"If I felt my daughter was in any danger from this lad, I would have killed him myself."

Balfour, who was put on the sex offenders' register for five years, will be sentenced at Duns Sheriff Court in January.

On his internet social networking page, he describes himself as "engaged" and says he wants to spend the rest of his life with his young girlfriend.

He wrote: "We have been through a lot of s*** but amsure we will make it through."

Sheriff Kevin Drummond was told Balfour was allowed to stay at the girl's home three or four times a week for about six months.

Duncan McNeill, prosecuting, told the court the sexual relationship was "entirely consensual".

But it was discovered last month when the girl had a row with her mother and spoke to a teacher.

The teacher contacted social workers, who called in the police.

Balfour was traced and admitted the sexual relationship.

He was placed on police bail with the condition he was not to approach or contact the 14-year-old.

The court heard that Balfour had abided by this condition and has pledged not to have sex with her again until she is 16.

His lawyer Ross Dow added that the couple split up for a short time but when they got back together, the girl's mother endorsed the relationship by allowing Balfour to stay.

Politicians last night attacked the mother's decision.

South of Scotland MSP Christine Grahame said: "This is completely outrageous.

"This girl is in need of care and protection from her mother's values, which appear to be upside down.

"The male has been dealt with by the court and rightly so. If he was 15, then it could perhaps be looked at another way but he is 22 and deserves to be punished.

"The issue here is the mother's consent to this and knowingly having asexual relationship in the house."

Tory justice spokesman Bill Aitken said: "I find this woman's attitude astonishing.

"It is for her to influence and indeed control her daughter's behaviour. The girl is only 14.

"This is quite a depressing story where a parent has neglected her responsibility for the welfare of her child."

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
11-30-2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA67Y8zUojY&feature=related

(If that doesn't work try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA67Y8zUojY& instead)

Oresai
11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
:flyingdev`Brat` is the kindest word I can say about girls like this. When my eldest daughter was sixteen she tested her boundaries with me. I`m five foot, both my girls are a good deal taller than me.
So in an argument over usual teen issues, she announced "Watch out mum, I can take you y`know, I`m bigger than you now".
I stood in front of her, got right in her face and said "Give it your best shot, it`ll be your last" at which point she ran upstairs, locked herself in her room and stayed there for three days, finally coming out to apologise.
Ah, the effect of terror....;) :D
I have rarely smacked my children, I never needed to. They always knew when they`d crossed the line and although they`ve had their moments, both girls are happily settled with their own children now, with partners/husbands in work, and are teaching their own children the very same values I instilled in them. I`m proud of them.
The politically correct society now says you cannot smack or otherwise discipline your child in any way which makes them fear you.
Yet a healthy amount of reasonable fear (I am NOT talking outright terror of being viciously hurt or abused here, just in case anyone is worried ;) ) is often the best deterrent against bad behaviour, plus the instilling into children from a young age of the `right` way to behave in society, and giving them pride in themselves, letting them realise how shameful behaviour reflects against them most of all.
And, what can I say? I might be short, but I`m concentrated and, I`m told, can be rather scary...:D
Kids have few boundaries nowadays. They are constantly told by `experts` of their rights against parents, they are encouraged to be self reliant long before they are emotionally mature enough to be making major decisions in life, and they have no deterrents against stupid and bad behaviour. When they do mess up and, for example, find themselves pregnant and single at fifteen, no worries, the state will bail them out and set them up, so they can then go on to allow their own kids to do exactly the same as mama did....:rolleyes2:

Skandi
12-01-2008, 04:52 AM
The politically correct society now says you cannot smack or otherwise discipline your child in any way which makes them fear you.
Yet a healthy amount of reasonable fear (I am NOT talking outright terror of being viciously hurt or abused here, just in case anyone is worried ) is often the best deterrent against bad behaviour, plus the instilling into children from a young age of the `right` way to behave in society, and giving them pride in themselves, letting them realise how shameful behaviour reflects against them most of all
Totally agree however once it's all gone snafu then there are only damage limitation exercises available.
In the situation she was in I think that the mother may well have done the right thing. At least this way she knew what was happening and the daughter didn't end up running off or falling pregnant.

Oresai
12-01-2008, 06:42 AM
True, but I can`t help but think of similar situations, when my daughters dated men I didn`t approve of. The reason neither of them slept `carelessly` with these men or got pregnant is because, I believe, I threatened them with dire consequences if they did (not beatings! But of reality, of struggling with a child, no partner, for he would bugger off at the first opportunity, I told them, and being tied to motherhood for the rest of their lives..cruel me, huh?:D)
and because quite a few girls at school they knew, were single mums with very little life outside parenthood.
Perhaps if parents nowadays were allowed to discipline children without fear of the state jailing them for cruelty, this girl might have behaved differently.
Please note, folks, I`m not advocating brutality or abuse in any way. Maybe someone should discuss parental discipline? There`s a line between healthy discipline (and it doesn`t involve taking away a kids toys or sweets which is, imo, useless) and brutality and abuse, which should be stopped and dealt with.

Beorn
12-01-2008, 11:23 AM
ZA67Y8zUojY

(If that doesn't work try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA67Y8zUojY& instead)

WOW! :eek:

Not only is the girl a whore, but also the epitome of the endemic where white people think they are black.

"Don't be hating, don't be hating!" Whilst flailing her arms around like an ape.

Ugh! What this girl needed more than anything in life was a strong Mother and Father. The mother seemed at a loss. Not, I believe, because she was not being listened to, but because she was not a strong enough woman to deal with an upstart of a girl such as her daughter.

I didn't watch all of the video. (I'd just eaten), but is there a father present in her life?

Absinthe
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
:eek: ^ Is this video for real?

Assuming it is, and it's not a media set-up (the things that people will do for high numbers)...I am trully at a loss of words.

Whilst I have an urge to feel sorry for 'the poor mother', I can't help but wondering what was her part in all this.
Surely, I wouldn't let any child of mine reach that point of degenaration.

Arrow Cross
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
So in an argument over usual teen issues, she announced "Watch out mum, I can take you y`know, I`m bigger than you now".
I stood in front of her, got right in her face and said "Give it your best shot, it`ll be your last" at which point she ran upstairs, locked herself in her room and stayed there for three days, finally coming out to apologise.
Ah, the effect of terror....;) :D
Hahaha, this has to be the best maternal reaction I've ever read, anywhere. :D