PDA

View Full Version : Obsession

Frigga
08-16-2012, 04:55 PM
What do you think is the primary cause of obsession? What do you think is it's driving force? It's been explored quite a bit in Hollywood, with movies and songs, like the Police with their song Every Breath You Take. Amazingly enough when the song came out, it was one of the most popular songs to play at weddings, and Sting had commented on that, finding it disturbing, as it's about a man who is obsessed with his ex lover.

cEnJDaqT3-0

And the movie Fatal Attraction also deals with the obsession of a woman after her affair with a married man.

k1QuLIPFZL0

In psychology, it is referred to as fixation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixation_(psychology)

Fixation is a concept originated by Sigmund Freud (1905a) to denote the persistence of anachronistic sexual traits'.[1] Subsequently '"Fixation" acquired a broader connotation. With the development of theory of libidinal stages...the term came to mean a persistent attachment, not only to the specific instinctual aims of a particular era, but, instead, to the entire complex of self and object relation'[2] at that time.
More generally, it is the state in which an individual becomes obsessed with an attachment to another person, being or object (in human psychology): 'A strong attachment to a person or thing, especially such an attachment formed in childhood or infancy and manifested in immature or neurotic behavior that persists throughout life'.[3]

So what thoughts do you all have on the subject?

rhiannon
08-16-2012, 05:00 PM
ucdnm8iU-5c
Another appropriate song.:) I think it's her best.

Bobcat Fraser
08-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Much of it stems from fear of the unknown. Many people obsess about matters that are beyond their control or power. There's a feeling of dread attached to events that you can't predict. Obsessive individuals may do psychological rituals to gain a sense of mastery of their chaotic, unpredictable lives.

StonyArabia
08-17-2012, 03:43 AM
It's the extreme attachment and love to something or a person. It can be fuelled by different factors. I am obessed with playing reading romantic novels for example.

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 03:43 AM
I love this song. It makes me dreamy eyed, but not obsessive. ;)

NjSd5nd1Y_0

arcticwolf
08-17-2012, 03:49 AM
It's the extreme attachment and love to something or a person. It can be fuelled by different factors. I am obessed with playing reading romantic novels for example.

That's a shocker. I would have never guessed! :laugh:

Bobcat Fraser
08-17-2012, 04:53 AM

You read romance novels! Do you watch chick flicks too?;)

StonyArabia
08-17-2012, 05:23 AM
You read romance novels! Do you watch chick flicks too?;)

I love Romance novels, they are my favorite to be honest. Ah sometimes I do indeed, I don't see it as chick flick it's more that's it's targetted to that particular audience but I certainly enjoy movies like the Notebook, Sweet November, Like Crazy, Letters to Juilet, Message in a bottle, and there are some more. Though the novels are far better in general than films but some are just great. I am not ashamed to admit I enjoy romantic drama movies, not much into the comedic ones but still nice to see:)

MarkyMark
08-17-2012, 05:33 AM
I'm pretty sure it is the drop in serotonin levels when first interacting with whatever it is that causes obsession with something.

Bobcat Fraser
08-19-2012, 04:48 AM
I have a confession. I was diagnosed with OCD when I was in high school. I had and have both obsessions and compulsions, but the obsessions are worse than the compulsions. The former have nothing to do with things like stalking. The latter have nothing to do with things like drinking. They aren't linked to crimes or vices, although some people seem to think that they are. OCD is a neurosis that manifests in extremely different ways, depending on the individual. It's in the anxiety category, and its symptoms range from very mild to very severe.