PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Canada!!!

Sol Invictus
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
B0jhJA1Hjxk

IayW-cpXJ5g

Osweo
07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
e2FVca1lwZw:thumb001:

Actually, that was bluddy awful. I hate that warbling technique they all do these days, Whitney Houston style... :P

6Rzvnsif6bg Where's that Sarah's good version.... ?

Oh well, this'll haff te do:
clEdy80PUMo
She's not the best, technically. But I wouldn't kick her out of...

Sol Invictus
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
RR9N1ia1RgU

The Lawspeaker
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
tnzQF7JCF0o

Happy Birthday, Canada !
Bon anniversaire à toi, Canada !

Óttar
07-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Why is Canada not a dominion of the UK? I know they don't have to swear an oath to the queen in parliament, but if she's their official head of state, that counts in my book.

Loki
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Why is Canada not a dominion of the UK? I know they don't have to swear an oath to the queen in parliament, but if she's their official head of state, that counts in my book.

The British monarchy doesn't mean anything any more, it's just a ceremonial gesture. Even in the UK the Queen doesn't have any real powers at all. I'm all for its abolition, since the Royal Family receive taxpayers' money every year, even though they're filthily rich. :mad: In short, I pay with my hard-earned tax money for the Queen's crumpets at lunchtime.

Thorum
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Happy Canada Day / Fête du Canada!!

:hug: :fgift: :cheers3: :smilie_flagge17:

http://ebookers.m7z.net/content1.ebookers.com/images/UKv3/free_stuff/canada_1152.jpg

Osweo
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Steady on, Loki. It's not as if any instant good would accrue on their abolition. And you aren't really entitled to decide, either.

Loki
07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Steady on, Loki. It's not as if any instant good would accrue on their abolition. And you aren't really entitled to decide, either.

Nope, but I'm entitled to voice an opinion on the matter. ;) Also entitled to vote at the British ballot box. My vote counts as much as the Queen's does in an election.

Osweo
07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Nope, but I'm entitled to voice an opinion on the matter. ;) Also entitled to vote at the British ballot box. My vote counts as much as the Queen's does in an election.
In your case, it's okay, but that is an absurd state of affairs broadly speaking. :( Like my Mirror-reading Pope-obeying Irish citizen grandmother. :rolleyes:

Allenson
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Many cheers to our neighbors! :food-smiley-004:

This one always cracks me up: :p

http://thafeedback.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/americashat.jpg

Æmeric
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Canada's birthday will go entirely unnoticed in the US. But our public officials feel obligated to make a big deal out of Cinco de Mayo which is hardly observed in Mexico.:rolleyes:

Sally
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Happy birthday, Canada! :thumb001:

:p
http://i41.tinypic.com/inwy9e.jpg

Absinthe
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9228/55602436204955525926355.jpg

Aemma
07-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Well we do have our own constitution now dontcha know. :thumb001: I don't think it would be appropriate for our parliamentarians to have to swear an oath to the Queen. That sounds a bit counter-intuitive to me. Furthermore, we don't have the same attitude towards heads of state as you southern neighbours of ours do. We're just different in our traditions and there isn't anything wrong with that in my books. :)

Prior to repatriating our constitution, we were always known as the Dominion of Canada, although we were created through an act of British Parliament. So we've never been known as the Dominion of the UK. Canada has always pretty much enjoyed a fairly good level of political self-determination for which I am grateful.

With respect to the monarchy, well I am more of a monarchist than not, I suppose. (Ya one of those weird French Canadians who actually does hold a certain allegiance to the monarchy). It's a matter of tradition for me, for better or for worse. (Besides I don't think that my Grandma Victoria, named after Queen Vic herself--bless her soul--would be too pleased otherwise. ;)) :D

But enough about that...Happy Birthday to my fair country. May you stay strong and free. :smilie_flagge17: