PDA

View Full Version : More cash, less tax for Charles

Loki
07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
More cash, less tax for Charles: Clever accounting sees Prince slash his revenue bill by 10% (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1194913/Prince-Charles-sees-tax-fall-10-despite-receiving-hike-funding-public-purse.html)

Prince Charles saw his tax bill fall by 10 per cent last year despite receiving an unprecedented hike in funding from the public purse.

The heir to the throne pocketed a recession-proof salary of £19.5million, most of it from his Duchy of Cornwall estate.

An additional £3million, up almost 25 per cent on the previous year, came from the Government, which helped to cover his record travel expenses.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/23/article-1194913-05748B44000005DC-351_468x531.jpg

Thanks to some clever accounting, however, Charles was able to write off almost two thirds of that - some £12.5million in all - as business expenses and official spending.

This included everything from the cost of his staff, such as butlers, valets and chefs, to office stationery and even the bill for maintaining his flower beds at Highgrove.

That meant he paid income tax of 40 per cent only on the remaining £6.9million, resulting in a tax bill of a little over £3million - down and £336,000. In total, Charles's annual income rose by £764,000 last year.

Although his income from the Duchy, a private estate owning everything from commercial property to agricultural land, has remained static, his Government allowance for 2008-2009 rose by more than £500,000 to £ 3,033,000.

The reason for this was a staggering 48 per cent increase in the cost of his travel bill from £1.15million to £1.7million.

Two long-haul trips by Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall on a private jet to the Far East last year and to South America in March accounted for most of this. Each cost taxpayers just over £500,000.

Ironically, considering his championing of environmental issues, the trips saw the prince's carbon emissions soar to 1,253 tons over the year, up from 929 last year. The leap is particularly embarrassing for Charles because this year's tour was designed to promote a green agenda.

More (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1194913/Prince-Charles-sees-tax-fall-10-despite-receiving-hike-funding-public-purse.html)

Treffie
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Although his income from the Duchy, a private estate owning everything from commercial property to agricultural land, has remained static, his Government allowance for 2008-2009 rose by more than £500,000 to £ 3,033,000.

The reason for this was a staggering 48 per cent increase in the cost of his travel bill from £1.15million to £1.7million.

Nice to see that he's making an effort.:rolleyes:

Ĉmeric
07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
You can't blame him for minimizing his tax bill. Isn't this what everyone does in liberal democracies, pay as little tax as legally possible while at the same time maximizing entitlements? The fact that he is clever enough to do this shows that he is not a total twit.

Dollar for dollar a monarchy is still cheaper then the presidential system.

British and Proud
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I am in favour of the monarchy, but Prince Charles is a whinging, liberal hypocrite. Apparently his travel expenses were accrued on his global travels, in which he has been promoting environmentalism...whilst travelling by chartered planes!

However, his 'Defender of Faiths' comment really annoyed me. I hope William is the next King, or, even better, Harry!

Osweo
07-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I went to Windsor Castle a bit ago, where he lives now and then. Some Chinese thing was on the till at the entrance. "Are you British citizen?" she asked... :( Is she? Cost something ridiculous like Sixteen Quid each to get in.

We're told that the Royal Family pays more than it takes, so perhaps we're just being cheated out of that little bit extra we could be making out of them. I don't know why people in the public eye like that don't make more of an effort to at least seem more useful.