PDA

View Full Version : Religious people: are they good people!?

Drawing-slim
08-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Have you known closely any religious people in your life? And what do you think of them in general?

Methmatician
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Two of my close friends are very (loose meaning) religious Protestants. One is a born again Christian, the other comes from a family of Protestants who were persecuted and fled. I get along with them fine, but in high school an Atheist friend of mine and I would annoy them with the Atheist bullshit :D

Anusiya
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I find them rather limited when thinking on their own. Religion might be a good idea for mutual understanding, but not in the long run.

Talvi
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I dont know any religious people closely. I have some acquaintances who seem to be religious but I dont really know them well. When I find out that someone I know is religious, my opinion of them usually lowers, I find them to be stupid, whether they are good people or not. And whether someone is a good person or not does not depend on whether someone is religious or not.

Hurrem sultana
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
The friends of my parents are religious,and they are nice and more liberal than my parents,ironicaly :D

The other religious family is from Kosovo,and they too are very modern..the woman(in hijab) is just sitting while her man does all the work home :D the difference is they are both very educated and not some villagers

Lithium
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
I am Pagan but I wouldnt call it a religion, it is actually a tadition, it's not organised and it isn't well known to most people. So I wouldn't call myself religious in this sense of the word. I don't know many religious people, many would say that they are Christian but they know nothing about the Christianity itself. I don't like fanatic people, I dont care about the religion.

carol
08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
i have found some extremely religious people rigid and a bit closed minded, and even cruel. Occasionally though I have met some amazing, complex thinking people who are very religious, and they are some of the most interesting, kind, and fascinating people I have met. They are rare though. I think it is determined by the intelligence and character of the individual, is it a choice, or are they religious from fear? If religion is something people do to separate themselves and others, it is often fear based, punishment based, and a way for them to judge other people as less than they are. The worst 'religious' people use religion as a way to control and dominate other people. Still, I have met some really awful atheists too. I don't think religion usually can determine if a person is a bad or good person, unfortunately.

Su
08-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I have seen religious people who were "good" as well as "bad" and same applies for non-religious ones.

Drawing-slim
08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I've two good friends, one christian wich holds himslef as most knowledgable theologian today, ok i'm exaggerating because i view him as one, i call him google. Anything any question regarding chrsitianity and the bible the guy knows it word by word and every quote lines etc, he is a calvinist and he finds it insulting to be labeled religious.."christianity is not a religion"

Then i have another long time albanian friend who became a muslim in jail doing a year time. He discovered islam religion for the first time so to speak, at age 34.

Both very smart and interesting indivuduals/characters, and both generous people.
Knowing them both fairly well, as far as i can comprihand the albanian friend has a brighter wolrd view, it seems something more simplistic and reasonable views etc
Then the christian friend however, i would say has a more complicated or darker world view. Which christianity is confusing to begin with:D jesus is the son of god but no, he is god himself at the same time..

From my persepctive i see both views of these reigious preachings as two
salesmen, you know both belong to a world full of B.S, but wich one sells it
best.
So from an oustider looking in just to see what these two "salesmen" have to offer.. I would say isalm has a more logcal tactic to sell their version of god by saying "there's no god but god"...
Compare to christianity's schizophranic like version: "i'm son of god but i'm also god and without me you cant see god.."
Both unecesserly bullshit worlds, but i find it more amazing that these wolrds are very much the "realitly" of so many people lives.
So much so infact that my christian friend told me once: there's no other studies worth studing then learning about god, which means this guy has been studing the bible all his adult life.

ricko0812
08-21-2012, 12:00 AM
the religious people i know are usually the most back stabbing people i know

WinterIsComing
08-21-2012, 12:14 AM
I have found that whether someone is religious or not has very little to do with how good of a person they are. I have know many so called Christians who are quite immoral and and are essentially just bundles of contradiction and hypocrisy. I have also known many agnostics and atheists who are wonderful, kind people. All in all, religion does not automatically make one a better person.

Matritensis
08-21-2012, 12:18 AM
My uncle is one of the kindest and brightest persons I know, while being at the same time the most religious by a long shot. I find Protestants a lot harder and meaner than Catholics when we compare the most religious of them side by side.I probably cannot be objective enough about it since I was raised as a Catholic, but I honestly think that there's something to it.

Sultan Suleiman
08-21-2012, 12:19 AM

:D

Rastko
08-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes

Drawing-slim
08-21-2012, 12:30 AM
My uncle is one of the kindest and brightest persons I know, while being at the same time the most religious by a long shot. I find Protestants a lot harder and meaner than Catholics when we compare the most religious of them side by side.I probably cannot be objective enough about it since I was raised as a Catholic, but I honestly think that there's something to it.

You bring up a good point. Catholics seem to be easy going religion/people.
If those priests didn't fuck it up:D but in overall they seem easy going.
Then again, Vatican has more money to by greece and all balkans, why wouldnt they be chill. Good hustling in their part,lol

Onur
08-21-2012, 12:30 AM
All in all, religion does not automatically make one a better person.
Thats true but it can turn one into a bad person because religious doctrines can often become a reason, a pretext to do bad things. A religious person can hurt other people in the name of his/her religion because he thinks like he is supposedly doing a good thing.

The religious people can be unpredictable and easier to manipulate due to their dogmatic beliefs.

Drawing-slim
08-21-2012, 12:44 AM

Lol, makes sense, especially those who shove religion in your face every time.
If anyone of those was a millionare would never insist on shoving a 5thousand dollars to a friends face just to change his/her life, but will shove religion all day long whether you like or not.

Anusiya
08-21-2012, 12:45 AM

I think Protestants mean much more business.

Behemot
08-21-2012, 12:50 AM
There are shitty characters in each group .......
Don't like to generalise

The Lawspeaker
08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Thank God I am not religious... :D

Farah
08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes they are, the truly religious ones who keep spirituality and faith as a matter of a private relationship between the individual & God are. Those who are hypocritical and pretend to be religious when they actually ruin society with their ~holier-than-thou~ attitude, are not.

ricko0812
08-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Lol, makes sense, especially those who shove religion in your face every time.
If anyone of those was a millionare would never insist on shoving a 5thousand dollars to a friends face just to change his/her life, but will shove religion all day long whether you like or not.

yea and i have been told by these people if i dont adhere to their belief system i am gonna burn in hell for eternity. but while they are telling me this we are getting hammered at the bar.

Libertas
08-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Have you known closely any religious people in your life? And what do you think of them in general?

Mostly whitened sepulchres.:D

Libertas
08-21-2012, 07:38 AM
You bring up a good point. Catholics seem to be easy going religion/people.
If those priests didn't fuck it up:D but in overall they seem easy going.
Then again, Vatican has more money to buy greece and all balkans, why wouldnt they be chill. Good hustling in their part,lol

Interesting!:cool:

Please go into detail.