PDA

View Full Version : My Wife's Paintings

Psychonaut
07-04-2009, 09:49 PM
My wife finally got her website and store together to showcase her paintings. Check it out. :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/3680329756_22b403521e.jpg (http://dianaplaisance.net/)

Prints available from:
http://fineartamerica.com/marketing/LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShapeBlackBackground.jpg (http://diana-plaisance.fineartamerica.com/)

Beorn
07-04-2009, 11:42 PM
http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/the-wishing-tree-diana-plaisance.jpg

Sold! :thumb001:

What more could I want to hang from my wall than the circularity of life betwixt with the tree of life?

May I ask if she was going for some kind of representation of "life" connection with the the tree and the loss of life (culture/heritage/ancestry?) from the tree with the very subtle colour difference between the trees leaves?

Jamt
07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Good it is.

Mrs. Psychonaut
07-05-2009, 12:02 AM
What more could I want to hang from my wall than the circularity of life betwixt with the tree of life?

May I ask if she was going for some kind of representation of "life" connection with the the tree and the loss of life (culture/heritage/ancestry?) from the tree with the very subtle colour difference between the trees leaves?

Well I guess I should answer this question. I am very interested in symbolic images and I use symbols all the time in my art. Trees are one of my favorites, and yes, they represent to me above all else life, growth, and continuity... especially for me in connection with ancestors, heritage, and the worlds beyond. The swirls and the twining branches are a subconscious influence from Celtic knot work and spiral designs.

Beorn
07-05-2009, 12:07 AM
The swirls and the twining branches are a subconscious influence from Celtic knot work and spiral designs.

Mmm! Depicted extremely well, if I may so. :) It certainly had me reminiscing of the taught and self taught tales I grew up with as a child.

Another love of mine in your picture is that you chose the colour blue. Was that a conscious decision of yours (having noticed the subconscious nature of your picture) to then represent it with the colour of the spiritual and esoterical nature of war, or is it mere coincidence?

Mrs. Psychonaut
07-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Another love of mine in your picture is that you chose the colour blue. Was that a conscious decision of yours (having noticed the subconscious nature of your picture) to then represent it with the colour of the spiritual and esoterical nature of war, or is it mere coincidence?

Another good question. It's funny though, I did not purposely choose the color blue for any particular meaning. For me, colors are almost always symbolic and meaningful; though they happen much more subconsciously and intuitively than anything else. I actually have a hard time breaking away from painting everything red most of the time. I'm crazy about red. I just did this painting last month though, when I happen to be going through a blue phase where I painted everything blue for about two weeks!

I tend to work with red and blue a lot. I do this automatically, and can't even really help it. It's like a warm/cool balancing issue for me. Also I just feel that both red and blue are such powerful and dramatic colors, they do speak volumes on their own.

Beorn
07-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Also I just feel that both red and blue are such powerful and dramatic colors, they do speak volumes on their own.

Now this is an occasion where I wish had kept the clip of the newspaper I read, but apparently blue and yellow are scientifically mutual colours to assign with each other, whilst green and red are, again, the mutual colours according to the men in white.

I wish I had kept the clipping now, but I remember pointing it out to my wife as she has always thought me crazy for insisting that yellow does not go with green and blue does not go with red.

An example of this almost OCD like behaviour is the children's Teletubbie figures in my bathroom.
I can't stand Dipsy and Laa-Laa being together. I had always thought myself mad for thinking this as I had manifested this even as a child; to the point of even hitting my primary teacher for daring to put the two together.....!!??

Anyyyywaaaayyy!!! :D

Birka
07-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Nice work, I particularly like the Daffodils. Are they done in oils?

Osweo
07-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Now this is an occasion where I had kept the clip of the newspaper I read, but apparently blue and yellow are scientifically mutual colours to assign with each other, whilst green and red are, again, the mutual colours according to the men in white.

They're directly opposite each other in the 'colour wheel' if you put the three primary colours at 12, 4 and 8 o'clock, and fill in the gaps with the intermediate shades. We were made to paint this at school on the first day of art.

You are slightly mental, tubby-wise, Wat... :D

And Mrs. P, I mentioned the tree one out of all of them too, in a rep to the Mister. :thumbs up

Jamt
07-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Os is nerd. Pay him no mind.

The Lawspeaker
07-05-2009, 01:08 AM
http://fineartamerica.com/images-small/midsummer-daydream-diana-plaisance.jpg

I really love that Midsummer Daydream. :D It's simple and elegant and reminds me of one of those gold dusted Japanese screen doors that I can't find a picture of online ( just check Ryokan- A Japanese Tradition by Gabriele Fahr-Becker if you want to know what I am talking about).

Give your wife my compliments. I want that one and I wonder it is possible whether the design can be used for a larger painting -- since I have plans to move I will probably have some more space.

Mrs. Psychonaut
07-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Nice work, I particularly like the Daffodils. Are they done in oils?

No, this is acrylic. I have just started using acrylics rather than oils. Once you learn how to utilize the variety of different acrylic gels and mediums available now, acrylics are wonderful to work with. They can behave just about any way you want them to with the right manipulation.

Fortis in Arduis
07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
No, this is acrylic. I have just started using acrylics rather than oils. Once you learn how to utilize the variety of different acrylic gels and mediums available now, acrylics are wonderful to work with. They can behave just about any way you want them to with the right manipulation.

Do you paint murals too?

Freomęg
07-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Very nice!

Mrs. Psychonaut
07-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Do you paint murals too?

No, not at this time, but you never know...

Sol Invictus
07-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Excellent work, Mrs. Psy.