PDA

View Full Version : Moldovans

Vojnik
10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Who are they and what do they look like? Post photos of Moldovans if possible.

morski
10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
1. A Romanian ethnographic group.
2. Nationals of the rep. of Moldova including Moldovans proper, Russians, Ukrainians, Gagauzes, Bulgarians, Poles, Gypsies, Germans, Jews, etc.

All were heavily Russified since they were a constituent republic of the USSR.

cW8jXxnBsDc

My dear significant other is an ethnic Bulgarian from Southern Bessarabia region, Budzhak in Moldova.

Dacul
10-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Most looks close to east slavs/baltic people.
(very closed to dark haired ukrainians - this is how most of them are looking).

Zmey Gorynych
10-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Depends on what you mean by moldovans, if it is the ethnic group that you're talking about then they're not different from romanians (they are the same people). The case of the moldovan republic and its people is very similar to that of Macedonia minus the "ancient macedonian heritage" :)
If you're talking about the population of Moldova - it's a mixture of moldovans/romanians, ukrainians, russians, gagauzes (either turkified bulgarians or christianized turks) and bulgarians. Ethnic communities of poles, germans, jews and gypsies are too small to be mentioned, something like below 0,5% each.

Like many other occupied people moldovans have an identity crisis (at least most of them). You will see the same person identifying with romanians one day and establishing the moldovan-russian brotherhood the next day.

Phenotype wise moldovans resemble romanians the most although as you can probable imagine 200 years of east-slavic colonization changed their appearance hence more baltids, north-pontids and nordids ... it has to be said though that people with the above mentioned phenotypes are most likely of slavic stock and will identify as such.

Mary
10-06-2012, 12:47 PM
The people who call themselves Moldovans are mostly Russians in Moldova who can't go back to Russia for various reasons.

Zmey Gorynych
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
The people who call themselves Moldovans are mostly Russians in Moldova who can't go back to Russia for various reasons.

That's not true, russians unlike "moldovans" have no identity crisis, they know who they are regardless of where they live and that is a little something that "moldovans" could learn from their masters.

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Is it true that Moldova is the poorest country in Europe?

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
That's not true, russians unlike "moldovans" have no identity crisis, they know who they are regardless of where they live and that is a little something that "moldovans" could learn from their masters.

Eh, no, Russians in Moldova do not identify themselves as Russians. They will say "I am Moldovan, I am not Russian".

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM

No, nobody in this Eastern Europe is poor.

morski
10-06-2012, 01:24 PM
What about this guy who is Romanian/Moldovan, yet has a Russian name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Voronin

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
No, nobody in this Eastern Europe is poor.
But we're poor by Western European standards.

Zmey Gorynych
10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Eh, no, Russians in Moldova do not identify themselves as Russians. They will say "I am Moldovan, I am not Russian".

Eh, how many times have you been to Moldova and how many moldovan russians do you know !? :) You also have to make a difference between propaganda/camera posing and heart-to-heart discussions.

If not the poorest than surely one of the poorest but still those surveys that give Moldova as the poorest country in Europe don't take into account corruption/bribes which is/are a great source of income in countries like Moldova.

He may have a russian surname but he looks very romanian, probably a consequence of russinization. Some people say that he changed his first name deliberately.

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:29 PM

That's a Tatar.

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
But we're poor by Western European standards.

No, look at real assets. That means the things that people actually own.

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Eh, how many times have you been to Moldova and how many moldovan russians do you know !? :) You also have to make a difference between propaganda/camera posing and heart-to-heart discussions.

I know Moldovan people (ethnic Russians from Moldova) in Russia. If you have somebody identifying as a Russian, the only people I can imagine are really, really old people. People my grandfathers age. Because those were the people that actually physically transferred there at an adult age. Boomers and down, they identify as Moldovan.

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 01:34 PM
No, look at real assets. That means the things that people actually own.
Then explain why there are many Eastern European immigrants in Western Europe more than Western European immigrants in Eastern Europe?

Onur
10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
That's a Tatar.
Yes, he looks like a Tatar but probably he is a Russified Gagauz.

I don't know if thats the case with all the Moldovans [probably yes] but Russification is so dominant among Gagauzs of Moldova. Despite that they still speak Turkish as their mothertongue, Russian language appears dominant everywhere in Gagauzia, Moldova. As far as i know, they regard their own Turkish mothertongue as some kind of folkloric speech but use Russian in most official levels. Ofc this is a result of communist era.

safinator
10-06-2012, 01:38 PM
That's a Tatar.
Do you have any proof?

Zmey Gorynych
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I know Moldovan people (ethnic Russians from Moldova) in Russia. If you have somebody identifying as a Russian, the only people I can imagine are really, really old people. People my grandfathers age. Because those were the people that actually physically transferred there at an adult age. Boomers and down, they identify as Moldovan.

Wait a minute russians in Russia identifying as moldovans !?:eek: You've got to be kidding me. You do realize how ridiculous that sounds !?

Yes, he looks like a Tatar but probably he is a Russified Gagauz.

Nothing tatar about the guy, he's and old, ugly Dinaroid nothing more. He comes from Transdnestria and he has romanian origins.

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Then explain why there are many Eastern European immigrants in Western Europe more than Western European immigrants in Eastern Europe?

Because wages are higher in Western Europe. But the costs are also higher. So the people who live in the West don't own as much as people in Eastern Europe. Look at housing for example. A house in Stockholm is something like €400.000. So a Swede has to go to the bank, and take a loan for that amount, then pay it for the rest of his life (Which means he will end up paying €800.000 if you include the interest). An East European can come here, make some money, and then go back and buy a house cash. The East European will own his house, while the West European is renting it from the bank. Who has more real assets? Or in simpler terms: West Europeans are buying all their stuff on credit.

In Eastern Europe you also have your food assured. Most people have a house with some land. In Western Europe you have to pay for your food with money.

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Do you have any proof?

Look at the man! He looks Tatar to me.

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Because wages are higher in Western Europe. But the costs are also higher. So the people who live in the West don't own as much as people in Eastern Europe. Look at housing for example. A house in Stockholm is something like €400.000. So a Swede has to go to the bank, and take a loan for that amount, then pay it for the rest of his life (Which means he will end up paying €800.000 if you include the interest). An East European can come here, make some money, and then go back and buy a house cash. The East European will own his house, while the West European is renting it from the bank. Who has more real assets? Or in simpler terms: West Europeans are buying all their stuff on credit.

In Eastern Europe you also have your food assured. Most people have a house with some land. In Western Europe you have to pay for your food with money.
So, you admit that Western Europe is richer than Eastern Europe?

Mary
10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Wait a minute russians in Russia identifying as moldovans !?:eek: You've got to be kidding me. You do realize how ridiculous that sounds !?

No, really, they will say "I am Moldovan, Moldova is my home country". How can you have missed this?

Nothing tatar about the guy, he's and old, ugly Dinaroid nothing more. He comes from Transdnestria and he has romanian origins.

He looks Tatar or he could be Gagauzian.

safinator
10-06-2012, 01:58 PM
No, really, they will say "I am Moldovan, Moldova is my home country". How can you have missed this?

He looks Tatar or he could be Gagauzian.
The fact that he looks Tatar to you doesn't mean he's.
Marat Safin is a Tatar but does he look like a typical one?

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Look at the man! He looks Tatar to me.
Just because he look Tatar (which he doesn't) doesn't mean he must have Tatar origin. I have seen Poles with Scandinavian look. Does it mean they are Scandinvaian? No.

P.S. Fuck, Saf beat me to it.

morski
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Because they are Moldovan nationals, but if you ask them what their ethnicity is they'd surely answer it's Russian.

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
So, you admit that Western Europe is richer than Eastern Europe?

No. Let's make a comparison:

* The average West European rents his house from the bank. The Average East European owns his house.

* The average West European buys his food from the store. The average East European has the option to grow his own food.

* The average West European pays higher taxes and has a progressive tax system (if you make more money, you are taxed at a higher rate on everything above a certain income). The Average East European has lower taxes and a flat rate tax system (if you make more money, you pay the same rate in taxes).

West Europeans make more money, but they get to keep less of it. East Europeans make less money, but get to keep a bigger part of it.

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:06 PM
The fact that he looks Tatar to you doesn't mean he's.
Marat Safin is a Tatar but does he look like a typical one?

Yes, it does, if he looks Tatar then he is Tatar. Why would a Russian or a Rumanian look Tatar?

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Just because he look Tatar (which he doesn't) doesn't mean he must have Tatar origin. I have seen Poles with Scandinavian look. Does it mean they are Scandinvaian? No.

P.S. Fuck, Saf beat me to it.

If he looks Tatar, then he has Tatar origin.

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Because they are Moldovan nationals, but if you ask them what their ethnicity is they'd surely answer it's Russian.

No, that's how they identify themselves. It doesn't matter what passport they have. If they're Russians from there, they are Moldovans.

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
No. Let's make a comparison:

* The average West European rents his house from the bank. The Average East European owns his house.

* The average West European buys his food from the store. The average East European has the option to grow his own food.

* The average West European pays higher taxes and has a progressive tax system (if you make more money, you are taxed at a higher rate on everything above a certain income). The Average East European has lower taxes and a flat rate tax system (if you make more money, you pay the same rate in taxes).

West Europeans make more money, but they get to keep less of it. East Europeans make less money, but get to keep a bigger part of it.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What you describe Eastern European comparison is nonsensical, especially in Poland. We don't grow our own food, except it's Farmers and the like who has the option to grown their own food.

I still don't understand why you can't accept the fact that Western Europe is richer than Eastern European because they have better standard of living as well as GDP.

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What you describe Eastern European comparison is nonsensical, especially in Poland. We don't grow our own food, except it's Farmers and the like who has the option to grown their own food.

I still don't understand why you can't accept the fact that Western Europe is richer than Eastern European because they have better standard of living as well as GDP.

Most people probably have a datcha in the family where they can grow their own food if they need to.

Assets of the average West European:

* House owned by the bank
* Car is bought on credit, low resell value
* A few thousand euros in the bank in best case

Liabilities:

* Large bank loan on the house
* Smaller loan on the car
* Expenses for food

Assets of the average East European:

* House (no loan)
* Car (no loan)
* Access to land (can grow their own food)

Liabilities:

Zero

The average West European has fewer assets than the average East European. That means the average West European is poorer than the average East European.

You can also look at it like this:

* If I pay you €1000 a month and your expenses are €900 you have €100 left. (Western Europe)
* If I pay you €300 and your expenses are €150 you have €150 left. (Eastern Europe)

Which one of these alternatives give you the most euros left?

Mans not hot
10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
That means the average West European is poorer than the average East European.
Thanks god you're the only one who said that because most people here would agree with me that the Western European is poorer in comparison to the Eastern European, not vice versa.

Mary
10-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks god you're the only one who said that because most people here would agree with me that the Western European is poorer in comparison to the Eastern European, not vice versa.

That's because most people don't look at the things that matter (net assets). They only see superficial stuff, like monthly income.

Zmey Gorynych
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Most people probably have a datcha in the family where they can grow their own food if they need to.

* If I pay you €1000 a month and your expenses are €900 you have €100 left. (Western Europe)
* If I pay you €300 and your expenses are €150 you have €150 left. (Eastern Europe)

The average eastern european can't afford a lousy flat and you're talking about datchas !? :) Nobody in the city grows their own food, how do you imagine people dividing their time between their office jobs and happy farming on their imaginary datchas ? :)

If i'm not mistaken the minimum wage in western european countries is 1200-1500 euros, the average wage in eastern Europe is 300-400 euros. Clothing and food is not cheaper in eastern Europe contrary to what many people believe. Rent is more expensive in the west but you can find a decent flat at the price of 700-1000 euros a month. The same kind of flat in eastern Europe will cost you 200-500 euros, bills alone in eastern Europe can reach 100 euros a month so you tell me how the average western european is poorer than the average eastern european ?

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

morski
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Assets of the average West European:

* House owned by the bank
* Car is bought on credit, low resell value
* A few thousand euros in the bank in best case

Liabilities:

* Large bank loan on the house
* Smaller loan on the car
* Expenses for food

Assets of the average East European:

* House (no loan)
* Car (no loan)
* Access to land (can grow their own food)

Liabilities:

Zero

The average West European has fewer assets than the average East European. That means the average West European is poorer than the average East European.

You can also look at it like this:

Your only error is that on average Westerners still have more disposable income(3 to 10 times) after life expences covered than Easterners. Otherwise you are right.

Mary
10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Your only error is that on average Westerners still have more disposable income(3 to 10 times) after life expences covered than Easterners. Otherwise you are right.

It's still net assets that matter. If you have €1000 disposable income every month but you spend all that on stuff that isn't worth anything, you're still poor.

CuriousD
11-07-2012, 10:27 PM
It's still net assets that matter. If you have €1000 disposable income every month but you spend all that on stuff that isn't worth anything, you're still poor.

i still think you can hardly make it in romania. my girlfriend is from romania. it's true. most romanians own their house but even the utilities can kill you. her mother lives in doroban in bucharest, one of the best areas. she lives on 200 euros retirement per month and spends almost a 150 euros on heating. she basically only lives off of her savings. no car of course.
her aunt lives on 50 euros per month. and life is more expenisve in the capital than western europe! food, clothes, eating out....
one of my girlfriends school friends is a doctor and makes 500 per month. her house is like a ruin inside.