PDA

View Full Version : Can you physically distinguish Armenians from Levantines?

Sikeliot
10-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Can you tell the difference between Armenians and Syrians/Lebanese/Jordanians? Or do you think they're identical or largely interchangeable for the most part?

Genetically they do not cluster that closely but I know a lot of people in real life mix them up.

StonyArabia
10-07-2012, 04:00 AM
They overlap strongly with the Lebanese, and some Syrian groups but not much with Jordanians who are like Iraqis tend to cluster with Saudis.

Sophie
10-07-2012, 04:16 AM
With Lebanese it's harder, but Jordanians are very distinct and look more like Saudis and Egyptians. Syrians tend to be more Irano-formed. So Lebanese probably the most overlap of the mentioned groups.

exceeder
10-11-2012, 05:37 AM
I find lebanese and armenians do overlap a fair bit. Certain segments of their respective populations have different 'looks' but overall I have found that there is a fair degree of similarity.

Aquafina
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes.

Sikeliot
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I never used to but now I can tell the difference.

Maleficent
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Lebanese/Syrians/Jordanians are not the Levantines.
Lebanese/Syrians/Palestinians are the Levantines, though.
Jordanians are Arabians.
Sometimes Levantine and Armenian phenotypes might overlap, but not always.
But even I can't tell them apart sometimes.

Chuck Norris
02-10-2013, 07:00 AM
They overlap strongly with the Lebanese, and some Syrian groups but not much with Jordanians who are like Iraqis tend to cluster with Saudis.

Armenians don't overlap with Lebanese or Syrians. Get bent.

Chuck Norris
02-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Genetically they do not cluster that closely but I know a lot of people in real life mix them up.

So if they don't cluster why do you ask these dumb questions? Its like me asking you if Portuguese cluster with North Africans? You just end up confusing people.

AlexandraD
02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
i used to think i could easily tell armenians apart from most others, but honestly i'm not too sure or good at classifying people i DO know well so i just put some of the time :|

once you hear the last name its game over though, it distinguishes itself ;p

Anulik
02-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Yes easily can tell.

Musso
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Yes, it's usually easy to tell, though there are some overlaps naturally. The people of the Caucasus and Highlands, just have a different look.