PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Earth Theory

Smaug
10-08-2012, 12:02 AM
As requested by Kazimiera :p

http://www.ourhollowearth.com/

http://www.hollowearththeory.com/_images/articles/hollow_earth_complete_shell_model.gif

The Hollow Earth hypothesis proposes that the planet Earth is either entirely hollow or otherwise contains a substantial interior space. The hypothesis has been shown to be wrong by observational evidence, as well as by the modern understanding of planet formation; the scientific community has dismissed the notion since at least the late 18th century.

The concept of a hollow Earth still recurs in folklore and as the premise for subterranean fiction, a subgenre of adventure fiction. It is also featured in some present-day pseudoscientific and conspiracy theories

According to some supporters of this theory:

What is Our Hollow Earth like?

It is a terrestrial paradise,
...where the original Garden of Eden is located today
...where the Lost Tribes of Israel live
...where the Political Kingdom of God is located
...where the Lost Viking Colonies of Greenland migrated to
...where vanquished Germans migrated to after World War II
...where flying saucers come from
...where people live to be hundreds of years old in perfect health
...where peace and prosperity exists for everyone
...where Heaven is located (the inner sun)

Frigga
10-08-2012, 02:05 AM
I have been hearing a lot about this theory from my husband, he's been doing a lot of reading over the years, and he's been telling me snippets. It's intriguing to say the least.

Osprey
10-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Either Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne was based off on this theory or Vice Versa.

Frigga
10-08-2012, 02:47 AM
It's older than Jules Verne. Ancient myths talk about a hollow earth...

Smaug
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes, that's what I said: this theory is an absurd, but at least is a good subject for books and films. Just like Jules Verne did.

And in fact it is an old myth. I read about some PIE myths, that said the inner part of thr Earth as inhabited by creatures who had their own kingdoms and society, really interesting.

Tabiti
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
It was accepted more seriously during Nazi Germany with the idea of the Eternal Ice.
However, in many mythologies, there is an underworld for the dead and sky for the gods (heavenly bodies), which means the world is on layers, just like the Universal tree. No one mentions the higher creatures are actually bellow us. I think the most legends about the Hollow Earth actually came from the Eastern myths of Shambala and Agartha. Caves were indeed used for thousands of years for homes, warehouses, sanctuaries and even sanatoriums because of their unique conditions. So, it is more than natural to consider the depths of the planet as sacred.

Smaug
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
It was accepted more seriously during Nazi Germany with the idea of the Eternal Ice.
However, in many mythologies, there is an underworld for the dead and sky for the gods (heavenly bodies), which means the world is on layers, just like the Universal tree. No one mentions the higher creatures are actually bellow us. I think the most legends about the Hollow Earth actually came from the Eastern myths of Shambala and Agartha. Caves were indeed used for thousands of years for homes, warehouses, sanctuaries and even sanatoriums because of their unique conditions. So, it is more than natural to consider the depths of the planet as sacred.

That's right. In Hinduism they do believe that there is an entire world bellow us. Like uou said, other IE pagan religions believed in a world divided in layers, like the famous Yggdrasil of the Norsemen.

Actually, there are many similarities found among many different IE pagan religions, that can be traced back to a theoretical Proto Indo European religion.

Panzerfaust
10-08-2012, 11:25 PM
As requested by Kazimiera :p

http://www.ourhollowearth.com/

http://www.hollowearththeory.com/_images/articles/hollow_earth_complete_shell_model.gif

The Hollow Earth hypothesis proposes that the planet Earth is either entirely hollow or otherwise contains a substantial interior space. The hypothesis has been shown to be wrong by observational evidence, as well as by the modern understanding of planet formation; the scientific community has dismissed the notion since at least the late 18th century.

The concept of a hollow Earth still recurs in folklore and as the premise for subterranean fiction, a subgenre of adventure fiction. It is also featured in some present-day pseudoscientific and conspiracy theories

According to some supporters of this theory:

What is Our Hollow Earth like?

It is a terrestrial paradise,
...where the original Garden of Eden is located today
...where the Lost Tribes of Israel live
...where the Political Kingdom of God is located
...where the Lost Viking Colonies of Greenland migrated to
...where vanquished Germans migrated to after World War II
...where flying saucers come from
...where people live to be hundreds of years old in perfect health
...where peace and prosperity exists for everyone
...where Heaven is located (the inner sun)

Funny how many of those are religious in nature, too :D

Something I've come to realise is that there's no real difference between fundamentalist religious thinking and conspiracy kook thinking. The ideas differ outwardly, but they work on the same principles.

Kazimiera
10-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Thank you Uhtred! :p

This reminds me of this "incident" at least 10 years ago, if not longer, where supposedly these scientists (I think they were looking for oil) bored this well into ground in Siberia and quite literally broke through into hell. According to the story, when the scientists broke through into this hollow cavity they sent down a microphone and recorded the screams of the souls in hell being tortured. I remember this story very well when it was published in a local magazine, urging people to repent and go to church because there was evidence that hell was real.

8iPIXq_jGMQ

Pallantides
10-09-2012, 01:14 AM
This reminds me of this "incident" at least 10 years ago, if not longer, where supposedly these scientists (I think they were looking for oil) bored this well into ground in Siberia and quite literally broke through into hell. According to the story, when the scientists broke through into this hollow cavity they sent down a microphone and recorded the screams of the souls in hell being tortured. I remember this story very well when it was published in a local magazine, urging people to repent and go to church because there was evidence that hell was real.

8iPIXq_jGMQ

Well' that's an obvious hoax (since hell don't exist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_to_Hell_hoax
http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.asp

Kazimiera
10-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Well' that's an obvious hoax (since hell don't exist)

Of course it's a hoax, but a lot of people didn't think so.

If I recall correctly the sounds are from the movie Blood Baron made in the 70's.

Svipdag
11-08-2012, 02:19 AM
It is physically impossible for the Earth to be hoillow. The crust of the Earth is not strong enough to resist the gravitational forces which would tend to implode it.

More important, there is geophysical evidence that the major part of the earth's interior is solid and that what is not solid is liquid. All of the Earth's interior transmits elastic vibrations, seismic waves. Down to about 5000 km, it transmits transverse vibrations which can be transmitted ONLY by solids.

The core does not transmit transverse vibrations or S-waves. When an earthquake sets up both longitudinal vibrations or P-waves, and S-waves, the core casts an S-wave "shadow" on the opposite side of the Earth. The only resonable explanation for this is that the mantle (~100-~5000 km down) is solid , transmitting both P-waves and S-waves, and the core , ~5005-~6300
km. down, is liquid.

Under the ambient pressures in the core and mantle, no voids are possible. If there were any, they would cast seismic wave shadows which have never been observed.

"SCIENTIA NON HABET INIMICVM NISI IGNORANTEM" - [auctor mihi incognitus]