PDA

View Full Version : Swiss army braces itself for trouble in Europe

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I am sorry but this article is in German:

Schweizer Armee bereitet sich auf Unruhen in Europa vor

Die Schweiz rechnet wegen der Euro-Krise mit gewalttätigen Unruhen in Europa und will daher die Verteidigung an den Landesgrenzen verstärken. Bei Manövern wird bereits für den Ernstfall von Unruhen, Demonstrationen und Flüchtlingsströmen geübt.

Die Schweizer Armee erwartet eine dramatische Eskalation der Lage in EU-Krisenstaaten mit Auswirkungen auf die Sicherheit der Schweiz. Dies berichtet die Schweizer Zeitung Sonntag. Der Grund: Wegen der vielfachen Sparmaßnahmen werden die Armeen in den südeuropäischen Euro-Staaten geschwächt. Dadurch bleibe die Modernisierung der Nachbararmeen auf der Strecke. Dadurch wären die Armeen geschwächt, die Staaten Europas werden erpressbar. Der schweizerische Verteidigungsminister Ueli Maurer sagte dem Sonntag zufolge auf einer Tagung: „Ich schließe nicht aus, dass wir in den nächsten Jahren die Armee brauchen.“

Das Verteidigungsdepartement VBS teilt Maurers Ansichten. Die Euro-Krise verschärfe das Gewaltpotenzial. In Spanien, Griechenland und Italien drohen Massenarbeitslosigkeit und die Radikalisierung der Bevölkerung. Damit wird Bezug genommen zu Warnungen des griechischen Premierministers Antonis Samaras (mehr hier).

Weil die Schweiz ein Übergreifen möglicher Unruhen auf ihr Gebiet fürchtet, wird aufgerüstet: 100.000 Soldaten, 5 Milliarden Militärbudget und der Kampfjet Gripen sind zur Verteidigung der Eidgenossen eingeplant. Gegen potentielle Unruhen, Demonstrationen und Flüchtlingsströmen aus den umliegenden europäischen Nachbarländern, haben die 2000 höchsten Offiziere mit dem Manöver „Stabilo Due“ schon einmal vorgesorgt. So plant Armeechef André Blattmann mit vier Militärpolizei-Bataillonen und insgesamt 1600 Mann die vier Landesteile an den Grenzen abzusichern.

Quelle: Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten (http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/2012/10/07/schweizer-armee-bereitet-sich-auf-unruhen-in-europa-vor/) (08.10.12)

morski
10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
That's rather significant.

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
That's rather significant.

I thought so too. I wonder whether this will appear in English-language newspapers (or in the Dutch press) as well. Because if this is true then the Swiss know something we don't: it's going to be bloody mayhem.

morski
10-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Considering that they are one of the world's biggest deposit safes I'd reckon they know what they are doing.

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Considering that they are one of the world's biggest deposit safes I'd reckon they know what they are doing.

Aye. What do you think ? Should we go to the Swiss embassy and ask for political asylum ? :D

morski
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Aye. What do you think ? Should we go to the Swiss embassy and ask for political asylum ? :D

Sounds good, but we are not eligible.:D

By the way along the line of the article Bulgaria just doubled its capacity to take in refugees and asylum seekers. If things in the MENA region continue to get shitier coupled with our own internal EU problems a refugee crisis and general increase in migration is not that inconceivable. Today I read in our local media that the UK is contemplating a proposal to change the rules on free movement of people in the EU. Their desire is to re-introduce visas for citizens of some of the EU memberstates.

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 07:47 PM

By the way along the line of the article Bulgaria just doubled its capacity to take in refugees and asylum seekers. If things in the MENA region continue to get shitier coupled with our own internal EU problems a refugee crisis and general increase in migration is not that inconceivable. Today I read in our local media that the UK is contemplating a proposal to change the rules on free movement of people in the EU. Their desire is to re-introduce visas for citizens of some of the EU memberstates.

Makes me wonder which EU memberstates will be included ?

morski
10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Who else!?:D

May: put controls on EU migrants (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1142432.ece)

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Who else!?:D

May: put controls on EU migrants (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1142432.ece)

Funny: at this very moment the Cuntservatives let in half of Africa and the Middle East. The other half will be coming next year.

Graham
10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
History tells us. When the people are poor & desperate. Mainstream parties get binned & the far left, far right become more popular.

Look at Greece with the Far right & with Spain, Catalonia debt bailout.

Albion
10-08-2012, 08:08 PM

The Conservatives are using the EU to win favour. They're trying to get us out of a lot of the EU's legislation in order to bring it closer to a simple trade area (as most British desire). They can only do so much though and they're doing it to boost their waning popularity here, it is purely political.
But issues such as immigration are very important here and a lot of people are still pissed about so many people turning up from Eastern Europe. The only countries we will likely be able to restrict movement from are Romania and Bulgaria (because you joined last and there already were some restrictions), whereas most immigrants from the east are from Poland, Czechia and Slovakia.
I have noticed a definite increase in "Romanians" (mainly gypsies) here though. The UK will probably protest for a bit and then the EU will give us our way for a quiet life. Sadly for you, Bulgaria and Romania are going to be the likely scapegoats. I doubt we'll be able to limit migration from Poland now.

The Conservatives have a unspoken policy of kicking the EU when it's down. It is a bit sad that the UK has to resort to this, but then again the EU shouldn't ever have extended such regulations in the first place. We must claw back as much power as we can, many of the EU's regulations should be voluntary and up to each nation to decide. But increasingly it looks like the UK, and lesser so some of the other Eurosceptic nations (Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Czechia, Hungary) will just have to keep securing more opt-outs.
Eventually this may lead to a two-speed Europe again, in essence the countries securing lots of opt outs may eventually become a group of less integrated countries and the EU may eventually have to officially become a two system union. This might be a good thing, we could leave pro-EU France and Germany to play at a federal Europe whilst the countries that value their sovereignty but still want to trade get to be in an outer group.

morski
10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
The Conservatives are using the EU to win favour. They're trying to get us out of a lot of the EU's legislation in order to bring it closer to a simple trade area (as most British desire). They can only do so much though and they're doing it to boost their waning popularity here, it is purely political.
But issues such as immigration are very important here and a lot of people are still pissed about so many people turning up from Eastern Europe. The only countries we will likely be able to restrict movement from are Romania and Bulgaria (because you joined last and there already were some restrictions), whereas most immigrants from the east are from Poland, Czechia and Slovakia.
I have noticed a definite increase in "Romanians" (mainly gypsies) here though. The UK will probably protest for a bit and then the EU will give us our way for a quiet life. Sadly for you, Bulgaria and Romania are going to be the likely scapegoats. I doubt we'll be able to limit migration from Poland now.

The Conservatives have a unspoken policy of kicking the EU when it's down. It is a bit sad that the UK has to resort to this, but then again the EU shouldn't ever have extended such regulations in the first place. We must claw back as much power as we can, many of the EU's regulations should be voluntary and up to each nation to decide. But increasingly it looks like the UK, and lesser so some of the other Eurosceptic nations (Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Czechia, Hungary) will just have to keep securing more opt-outs.
Eventually this may lead to a two-speed Europe again, in essence the countries securing lots of opt outs may eventually become a group of less integrated countries and the EU may eventually have to officially become a two system union. This might be a good thing, we could leave pro-EU France and Germany to play at a federal Europe whilst the countries that value their sovereignty but still want to trade get to be in an outer group.

Very well put.

Actually I'm not at all irritated because of what May said. I understand their motives. Anyway, even if it comes to such an arrangement I believe that failed visa aplicants would be mostly Gypos, criminals and barely litarate folks which is fair. But as Tuan pointed out it is rather bizarre that there are such strong reactions at Eastern European immigration yet you basically let in millions of Muslims and Darkies.

Albion
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Funny: at this very moment the Cuntservatives let in half of Africa and the Middle East. The other half will be coming next year.

New Labour already did that. The Conservatives put in a limit to the amount of non-EU immigrants that are allowed in, Labour still oppose that (meaning that they have learnt nothing yet, despite claiming to "understand" how angry people are about their record on immigration). :mad:

Regarding the article:

Switzerland seems to be expecting anarchy. Maybe in Italy, but France, Germany and Austria should be stable enough. Anything could happen in Italy though. The only thing Switzerland should worry about is whether there's enough homes for all those rich people that are starting to run away from France.
75% tax on anything of 1 million? Lol, I'm all for the proletariat, but even I find that amusing. It's like the daydreaming of a mad man. It's basically declaring open season on the rich. :icon_lol:
It seems Hollande likes the allure of revolution, maybe they'll reintroduce the guillotine and start chopping off heads next.

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
New Labour already did that. The Conservatives put in a limit to the amount of non-EU immigrants that are allowed in, Labour still oppose that (meaning that they have learnt nothing yet, despite claiming to "understand" how angry people are about their record on immigration). :mad:
But they haven't stopped the influx either and that's what counts.

It's basically declaring open season on the rich. :icon_lol:
It seems Hollande likes the allure of revolution, maybe they'll reintroduce the guillotine and start chopping off heads next.
Good idea.. when do we start ? :thumb001:

Annihilus
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't these guys have a huge defence network still left from the cold war?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Redoubt_(Switzerland)

The Lawspeaker
10-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Yap and a strong citizen army to boot. Just about every Swiss has a rifle in his home and is trained to use it.

morski
10-08-2012, 08:37 PM

The whole country is one big fortification and the populace is armed to the teeth.:D

Albion
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
But they haven't stopped the influx either and that's what counts.

No mainstream political party is ever going to do that. They've capped the numbers, that is the most that can be expected from "moderate" parties.
It is still better than Labour's approach by far. Labour was (and still is) pro-immigration and despises anything English. The Conservatives may not have solved the problem, but at least they've had a good go at tackling it.

The whole country is one big fortification and the populace is armed to the teeth.:D

This is a good thing. I think the Swiss are pushing for guns to be stored at single locations in each town though. A much better option really, since in peacetime it isn't a good idea to have too many guns around (America proves this).

Loki
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Swiss Army is preparing for unrest in Europe

Switzerland is expected because of the euro crisis with violent unrest in Europe and will therefore strengthen the defense at the borders. During maneuvers is already practicing for the worst of riots, demonstrations
The Swiss Army expects a dramatic escalation of the situation in States with EU crisis impact on the security of Switzerland. This tells the Swiss newspaper on Sunday. The reason: Due to multiple austerity measures weaken the armies in the southern euro-zone countries. This modernization of the neighboring armies fall by the wayside. This would weaken the armies, the European states are vulnerable to blackmail. The Swiss Defence Minister Ueli Maurer said, according to the Sunday at a meeting: "I do not exclude that in the coming years need the army."

The Defense Department VBS tells mason views. The euro crisis exacerbates the potential for violence. In Spain, Greece and Italy are threatening mass unemployment and the radicalization of the population. Thus referred to warnings of the Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras ( more here ).

Because Switzerland is afraid of possible unrest from spreading to its territory, will be upgraded: 100,000 soldiers, 5 billion military budget and the Gripen fighter jet is scheduled to defend the Confederates. Against potential riots, demonstrations and refugees from the surrounding neighboring countries in Europe, the 2000 senior officers have with the maneuver "Stabilo Due" taken precautions before. Is planning army chief André Blattmann four military police battalions and a total of 1600 men secure the four parts of the country at the border.

================

It sounds significant to me

Geminus
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Lucky guys that they're rather unaffected by this crisis. Switzerland could probably become one of the last save havens in Europe if everything gets out of control.

Annihilus
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM
What is the economy of Switserland based on?

Loki
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Switzerland is the last bastion of freedom in Europe. We should worry.

Graham
10-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Need to protect all that stolen gold & the money stashed away for tax evaders.

Loki
10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Th euro will be worthless, gold will skyrocket

Annihilus
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, you can't eat gold. I go for fresh water and land.

Xenomorph
10-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Switzerland, followed by Andorra and Luxembourg, are the only countries that I see having their shit together. Everyone else is corrupt as hell.

Panzerfaust
10-08-2012, 11:21 PM
History tells us. When the people are poor & desperate. Mainstream parties get binned & the far left, far right become more popular.

Look at Greece with the Far right & with Spain, Catalonia debt bailout.

And look at the USA, for that matter. People are getting more polarised here and the economic crisis has a darned lot to do with it.

It's kind of sad and :picard2: to see people polarised between two political parties that are in fact so much alike, too. Libertarians still hardly register in national polling, though they seem to represent conservative American values far better than the Republicans do today, and may well have the solutions we need to get this country back in shape. Since we have two polarising, failing parties dominating everything, though, we're likely to see times get a lot worse before they ever get better again.

Schneider
10-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Albion,

"This is a good thing. I think the Swiss are pushing for guns to be stored at single locations in each town though. A much better option really, since in peacetime it isn't a good idea to have too many guns around (America proves this)."

I think you may misunderstand the situation in America. I am 37 and have never spoken to a person who had been shot or had a family member shot. I have often lived in poor areas(I grew up in Chicago), as I do now.

The news is very misleading. Much of the violence they talk of is limited to areas where non European cultures predominate.

I own guns, my wife like owns a few. I believe most every home in this area has guns in it. I hear gun fire almost every day. Practice, hunting, sport.

A gun is a weapon, a tool. Nothing more.

Corrupt culture is the danger.

Loki
10-09-2012, 05:25 PM

This is the correct link:

(your link did not include the last bracket)

Quorra
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Switzerland may be our Gondolin.

http://www.daeron.tolkienianos.com/imagens/Gondolin.JPG

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gondolin

Albion
10-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I think you may misunderstand the situation in America. I am 37 and have never spoken to a person who had been shot or had a family member shot. I have often lived in poor areas(I grew up in Chicago), as I do now.

The news is very misleading. Much of the violence they talk of is limited to areas where non European cultures predominate.

I own guns, my wife like owns a few. I believe most every home in this area has guns in it. I hear gun fire almost every day. Practice, hunting, sport.

A gun is a weapon, a tool. Nothing more.

Corrupt culture is the danger.

It only takes one maniac to shoot a load of people though. I still think weapons caches are a better option in peace time for defence of the nation.
In England farmers can own guns, beyond that you have to be a member of a shooting club. It's quite a pain in the arse though - every six months the police call to check you've got them stored in a gun safe. It would probably be easier to just require them to be stored at gun clubs really.
Self defence doesn't require guns and it is a lot harder when the attacker also has a gun.

Shooting as a sport is fun, I've done a bit myself and know people that go shooting a few times each week. Public safety concerns me though, there are too many idiots about for me to think that relaxing the restrictions on guns would be in our interest.

morski
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM

I must be related to baba Vanga.